Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren MP4-12C supercar: official press release...

Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Color for me? Titanium Grey, Graphit Grey or Silver Supernova...

That's funny, Kreso. When I specced a car lately, these were exactly my colours. Favourite was titanium grey, BTW. Smiley

Stefan, we have very similar taste, is already proven in the past.SmileySmiley

Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Nick, MP4-12C will be priced more or less on 458 Italia level. But, if you choose your option wisely MP4-12C should not be too expensive...

So you should stay away from carbon brakes, superlightweight wheels, CF bits and pieces all around and inside the car, maybe even full leather interior? And what's about HiFi/Navi-upgrade, racing seats, sports exhaust etc.? Smiley

Hmm... I have different idea...

Example No.1-CF front and rear diffuser are a must IMHO. I can not explain why, but they are and I will order it that way.

Full leather or full leather/acantara? Also a must IMHO.

Superlightweight wheels(multispoke)? NO, they are ugly.

Lightweight wheels(as the one on pics from Moll presentation)? Hmm... Not bad but, I still like standard wheels more.

Sports exhaust? NO, waste of money IMO.

CF pieces for engine bay? Not needed.

Racing seats? Hmm... Depends... For me standard(NOT electric) seats.

IRIS Meridian Navi? YES.

CF pieces for interior? Not needed.

See my point? Specd it wisely(same goes for 458 Italia) and price wont be that high...

GT:

I am also very excited about this car and will be looking to get one of the first ones if i can!

However there are only a couple of things that bother me. The main thing is the 600nm of torque.. I think this is waaay too low compared to the 997.2tt (700nm) and given the fact that I am now running around 900nm+ of torque in my car i am afraid that i will be looking to tune this engine after a couple of months of ownership..

Kreso do you know why they chose such a low torque figure? Is it because the gearbox cant take it? Or traction issues?

They implied to me in my visit 3 mths ago at the mclaren headquarters that they will be producing power upgrades etc for this car in the future..

Honestly, I do not understand your points about lack of power/torque on MP4-12C.

600Nm/600ps is too low for you? On car that will be 100kg(at least in drive form) lighter then 997.2 Turbo S? OK, I gues....

I will give you specific reason for 600Nm/600ps-drivebility. Also, bare in mind that Audi RS6 offers 650Nm/580ps from 5.0L V10 biturbo-main reason here is also-drivebility.  High revs for biturbo engine is another reason, MP4-12C engine revs up to 8000rpm. This is very high revs for biturbo engine! McLaren and Ricardo wanted to achieve best possible megre of biturbo and high reving concepts. IMHO they did the best possible job.

If you like the way 997.1 Turbo manual(specially tuned) develops its power and turque then I must say that you wont like MP4-12C power and turque delivery. Since according to my info it is close to 458 Italia then to Porsche.

Graziano DCT is lightest and strongest on the market. It can cope with more power and turque.

BUT, again why more?

I would NEVER tune MP4-12C. Period.

If you want to tune your sportscar buy something else-that is my as honest as possible advice.

McLaren MP4-12C official presentation in Düsseldorf...

Smiley SmileySmiley

KresoF1:

Hmm... I have different idea...

Example No.1-CF front and rear diffuser are a must IMHO. I can not explain why, but they are and I will order it that way.

Full leather or full leather/acantara? Also a must IMHO.

Superlightweight wheels(multispoke)? NO, they are ugly.

Lightweight wheels(as the one on pics from Moll presentation)? Hmm... Not bad but, I still like standard wheels more.

Sports exhaust? NO, waste of money IMO.

CF pieces for engine bay? Not needed.

Racing seats? Hmm... Depends... For me standard(NOT electric) seats.

IRIS Meridian Navi? YES.

CF pieces for interior? Not needed.

See my point? Specd it wisely(same goes for 458 Italia) and price wont be that high...

I agree on the sports exhaust (I wonder what will be the use of such an exhaust at all BTW) and the CF for engine bay (waste of money) and interior (aluminium does look good as well). I'm also not very fond of racing buckets.

I disagree about the CF for front splitter and rear diffusor. I would order the front splitter in body colour, since this makes the front far better looking in my eyes (if you don't choose black of course). CF rear diffusor OTOH depends on how the standard diffusor will look like, but I would definitely order CF for the side vent, since the middle part in CF will improve the look of these silly air inlets behind the doors dramatically.

Regarding wheels I think the standard wheel looks absolutely boring, like a no name rim for winter tyres. Smiley
    Lightweight wheels look too fast and furious for my taste, just as the standard rim of the R8 V10 (I know you like those as well Smiley). So Superlightweight look best to me, but I would order them in this stealth grey (?) colour.

Iris Meridian Navi and full leather interior are a must of course.

What remains to be discussed is the question if carbon brakes or not, which is also one of the most important questions, since this option will be amongst the most expensive. Smiley

So a car specced like this will cost you how much? 250k? I doubt the standard 12C (without CC-brakes) will cost you anything less than 200k and if you have to add CC, Navi, leather, at least SOME CF etc. I'm afraid prices will easily reach a quarter million, for a car that has no history, not many dealers and not the best exterior design. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

According to my info price will be on 458 level. Did you saw price for 458 example tested by AMS? 250K €...

Do you know what bothers me on MP4-12C? Dehidral doors. Since I found that SLS AMG gullwing doors are such PITA for daily use I expect that dehidral doors on MP4-12C will be the same. Here 458 Italia rules with normal doors.

KresoF1:

According to my info price will be on 458 level. Did you saw price for 458 example tested by AMS? 250K €...

Do you know what bothers me on MP4-12C? Dehidral doors. Since I found that SLS AMG gullwing doors are such PITA for daily use I expect that dehidral doors on MP4-12C will be the same. Here 458 Italia rules with normal doors.

The price of the 458 as tested in ams is a joke. Smiley

A car with a base price well below 200k with more than a fourth to spend in options. I don't like this policy at all, I think it is a rip-off of the customers. Smiley

Totally agree about the doors of the SLS. I drove one lately and these doors have - besides looks - only disavantages for me. Absolutely nuisance if you ask me. Standard doors would have been the way to go for the 12C, a car that does not have the best looks won't get any better if you give it some 2F2F-doors. Smiley

--

KresoF1:

Kreso, I was quite positively surprised that these doors handle quite nicely: Very easy to open and close. The only disadvantage is that the car is a bit more difficult to enter and to leave... You might like the doors after having tried them Smiley

Rossi:
    KresoF1:

The price of the 458 as tested in ams is a joke. Smiley

A car with a base price well below 200k with more than a fourth to spend in options. I don't like this policy at all, I think it is a rip-off of the customers. Smiley

That is true - in particular as the resale value will not improve in a similar way as the list price does... Money burned at the time of deliverySmiley

Just some additional info:

• standard rim weighs 2 kg more than than the lightweight and 4 kg more than the superlightweight rim, that is per rim, so superlightweight rims save you 16 kg altogether
    • carbon ceramic brakes weigh about 3 to 4 kg more than the standard steel brakes
    • sports exhaust saves you 5 kg and will also sound more aggressive
    • rear diffusor in CF saves you 6 kg
    • full leather interior weighs 3 kg more than the standard lightweight fabric

--

Guys 16kgs in the wheels is massive difference in the feel of the car. this is what I saved with the dymags and the car felt like a different car.. On that basis alone it might be worth it. I am a bit confused by the ceramic brakes though. The idea of going back to steel brakes is not very attractive to me. Is it 4kgs more in total for all 4 corners?

GT:
    Guys 16kgs in the wheels is massive difference in the feel of the car. this is what I saved with the dymags and the car felt like a different car.. On that basis alone it might be worth it. I am a bit confused by the ceramic brakes though. The idea of going back to steel brakes is not very attractive to me. Is it 4kgs more in total for all 4 corners?

I was asking myself this question (if it's 4 kgs altogether or per wheel), but unfortunately I have no answer. I will investigate.

16 kilos surely is a lot, so superlightweight seems the way to go, let's wait how much McLaren will charge you for them... Smiley

--

Standard brakes are excellent on MP4-12C. Read the latest issue of EVO...

BTW, McLaren Orange...

One of the experimental prototypes that is racking up mileage in the UK.

Already  posted Iain. And it is Validation Prototyp(VP)-that means preproduction series. Experimental Prototyp(XP) series were in matte black.

Oops....apologies. I never looked back through the thread

Ferrari options are highway robbery and for people with more money than sense. $4K for a CF steering wheel. $15K for a different color roof. Spec those two things and you've just burned $20K before your car even arrived.

As for all the lightweight stuff on the McLaren, most of the weight saving will definitely be felt by your ass... assuming you carry a wallet.

wedouglas:

As for all the lightweight stuff on the McLaren, most of the weight saving will definitely be felt by your ass... assuming you carry a wallet.

Weight saving on the wheels is pretty substantial. Taking away 16kg of rotating mass by chosing superlight wheels equals to taking away about 100kg from the body of the car as far as driving dynamics are concerned - acceleration, braking....

That applies to brakes as well. If steel brakes are 4kg lighter per corner, paying extra for CCB is crazy. Even if steel ones are lighter 4kg altogether, it still is something.

Of course, weight saving of 3kg in interior or 6kg in diffuser is quite useless.

Just a reminder what Mclaren can do (15 years ago) watched it last night again, it has been posted on RT before by someone but worth many more looks. It accelerates from 130 to 190 like nothing and the shifting sound is unreal.

That being said, I am not a big fan of the looks on this new car, but tech and quality should be amazing.

The McLaren would be also the perfect sports car for me. Most people don't have a clue what this is and with a dark color and no badge...perfect understatement.

Only problem is: I just can't afford it... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

The McLaren would be also the perfect sports car for me. Most people don't have a clue what this is and with a dark color and no badge...perfect understatement.

So true. I like this understatement factor a lot Smiley

(However, I think that the McLaren guys feel a bit disturbed if we tell them the car looks understated and modest - still, this is a major advantage this car offers)

mv:
    wedouglas:

Weight saving on the wheels is pretty substantial. Taking away 16kg of rotating mass by chosing superlight wheels equals to taking away about 100kg from the body of the car as far as driving dynamics are concerned - acceleration, braking....

That applies to brakes as well. If steel brakes are 4kg lighter per corner, paying extra for CCB is crazy. Even if steel ones are lighter 4kg altogether, it still is something.

Of course, weight saving of 3kg in interior or 6kg in diffuser is quite useless.

I highly doubt they will release a brand launch car which is compromised in stock form because you didn't choose all the super-light weight stuff. I think you'll really have to be taxing the car to get that extra performance out of it in and significant way. In other words, I don't think the weight savings will be a significant improvement in real-world driving. I'd be willing to bet that you couldn't even tell the difference between the two on a normal road if they gave you two cars and didn't tell you which was which. Just my opinion.

.. I could tell 16kgs difference on the wheels even as I was pulling out of the parking lot. The driving dynamics change dramatically when driving hard. Also 30kgs from sprung weight can be felt -I swapped to GT2 seats and I know from experience). As far the rest are concerned I agree one should proceed with caution. The ceramics are +4kg total but personally I would get them hands down. I just love the feeling and apparently you can push them really hard on this car I am told (trackdays). So car in uk will have standard navi, leather seats and few other gismos.(High end stereo is an option). Price will be 160k+ but less than 170k gbp. First deliveries spring 2011. Can't decide if I want to swap my super modded 997 but I think I ll go to see it again in 10 days in a mclaren event at the factory.. I have the feeling that the option costs are going to be silly, like ferrari..

4716830917_1da5ab0716_b.jpg

Best picture I have seen of it. Looks great in that photo.

RC:

Indeed this car looks like it was made by some French new car maker or even an English home made kit car, it´s great for those who don´t like a flashy sports car.

J.Seven

Starting price in Germany is 180000 EUR as far as I heard today from a friend. With some special extras, you can add at least 50000 EUR. 

I know, I know, the McLaren has 600 HP and is pretty much light weight but this is a lot of money and I'm not sure if they're going to sell that many cars for this price tag. Maybe.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Swiss today...

I love the understatement of the car, and agree that it detracts from the whole flashy factor of italian makers, but the orange just puts it right up there again. imo the best look is any shade of gray or silver.

This car is really amazing, a perfect combo of performance and subtle look (for such a higher performance super sports car). I'm really curious about the performance, I heard something about "slightly under 10 seconds" from 0-200 kph.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803136 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448538 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266079 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90031 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6554 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885650 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833174 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM