Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren MP4-12C supercar: official press release...

I think the authorized dealers will have the equipment to properly service it.  

Too bad there isn't one near where I live at the moment.  Otherwise, I would have bought this car right away.

Just had my invite to go to the Technology Centre to view the car... anyone else going to be there the morning of Friday 9th July?

McLaren announces European dealers

Ferdie:

That would mean a 2 our drive for  me  to get to the garage Smiley  I am very surprised that there is none in the Geneva area Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    Ferdie:

That would mean a 2 our drive for  me  to get to the garage Smiley  I am very surprised that there is none in the Geneva area Smiley

2 hours in a normal car Smiley You can get there faster with this.

Mike S:
    Gnil:
    Ferdie:

2 hours in a normal car Smiley You can get there faster with this.

Yes, but you would then have to be driven back, or take the train as you would have lost your licence Smiley

Radars every 5 km on some streches Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Not necessarily so. Often specialized equipment is very expensive. You may find that specialized mechanics will be sent by McLaren to do repairs which will add to service time and shutdown time. 

I wouldn't touch this car with a ten foot pole especially the early model.Smiley

--

First pic with optional wheels.

I like it.

The car looks quite convincing in the flesh - somehow small, light weight. A nice and reduced overall appearance. I would even argue that the 12C extrudes a certain level of understatement (in darker colors).

The interior is amazing: high quality, nice digital displays. Very reduced and at the same time clearly high-end.

In summary, I have to say that I really like the car after having seen it in person. Pictures don't do the car quite justice. My preference is black or another dark color as this hides the air intakes at the side, the front and also at the rear.

How would you compare the McLaren to the 458? If given the choice between the two, which one would you pick?

Markus, you were in Düsseldorf(Moll intro event)? Excellent! I will work with Munich dealer(I already know who it will be) since they will cover my market.

Color for me? Titanium Grey, Graphit Grey or Silver Supernova...

BTW, few pics from Moll event thanks to Carpassion.

Crash:

How would you compare the McLaren to the 458? If given the choice between the two, which one would you pick?

I believe (gut feeling only...) that the 12C will be the faster car (even compared to the 458 Scuderia due in 2013). Don't ask me why - McLaren will manage to get that level of performance out of this car, I personally believe.

Design-wise the 12C is much cleaner and much more understated. Looks small, light-weight. The interior is also much cleaner and the way the controls "feel" (robust, precise), how the digital displays look (very clean, very focused, no gimics etc.) tells me that the engineers at McLaren are more comparable to the guys in Zuffenhausen than to those working in Maranello. I therfore hope that the handling (steering, suspension) feels more like that of a GT2 than that of a F458 or Scuderia.

In summary, the 12C is definitively my car. I am not too attracted by the 458 yet. Maybe the 458 Scuderia could be interesting for me?

KresoF1:

Markus, you were in Düsseldorf(Moll intro event)? Excellent! I will work with Munich dealer(I already know who it will be) since they will cover my market.

BTW, few pics from Moll event thanks to Carpassion.

Exactly Smiley I could not resist checking the car out in  the flesh Smiley I have to say: it was worth going there. Looks better in real life than I expected. The car is tempting...

I wish they would just let me know who our official distributor is!!! That car is amazing!

Do we have any independent performance measurements?

--

nberry:

No, unfortunately, there are not even official performance claims available yet Smiley

nberry:

Nick, how can we?

MP4-12C is still NOT on the market. Start of sales is late 2010 and first deliveries are end of Q1 2011.

JUST... As Markus already pointed out this car will be something special. Do not ask me how I know-it WILL be something special.Smiley

McLaren bought two examples of 458 Italia, 997.2 Turbo PDK, Audi R8 V10, SLS AMG and few other sportscar for serious drive dynamics and technical layout evaluation. They wanted to know right from the start how good are key competitors in comparison with MP4-12C.

Do you know how many test kilometars has MP4-12C prototyps already made? Over 1.600.000kms!!  Ricardo assisted with knowledge in design of 3.8L V8 biturbo, Graziano made strongest and lightest DCT yet-currently only used in MP4-12C(just for your info Graziano was a long term partner for gearboxes with Ferrari and Lamborghini. When Ferrari found out that Graziano sign an exclusive Contract with McLaren for development of DCT for MP4-12C they decided to switch to Getrag. Outcome? DCT used in 458 and California is basically the same one as used in SLS AMG. OK. Software programming is totally different...).

You asked about service department for MP4-12C? According to my info service department will be first rate for any future MP4-12C costumer.

MKSGR:
    nberry:

No, unfortunately, there are not even official performance claims available yet Smiley

I must correct you little bit here...

0-100km/h around 3.0s

0-200km/h less then 10.0s

0-300km/h less then 30.0s

Max. speed more then 322km/h(200Mph)

Weight: dry 1300kg, with fluids depending on options between 60kg-100kg less then 458 Italia

Source? Directly via email from McLaren Automotive...

KresoF1:

100% agreed on the colors. thanks for the numbers too Smiley

KresoF1:
    MKSGR:
    nberry:

I must correct you little bit here...

0-100km/h around 3.0s

0-200km/h less then 10.0s

0-300km/h less then 30.0s

Max. speed more then 322km/h(200Mph)

Weight: dry 1300kg, with fluids depending on options between 60kg-100kg less then 458 Italia

Source? Directly via email from McLaren Automotive...

The problem is that these specs leave the important questions open... One could tell from the claimed hp output and weight that the above specs will be correct. However, the question is more like "how much below 30s for 0-300"... Smiley

Thanks Kreso. I have learned that your information is first rate and can be relied on.

Have they priced the car? Do you know what market they are trying attract?

--

nberry:

Thanks Kreso. I have learned that your information is first rate and can be relied on.

Have they priced the car? Do you know what market they are trying attract?

Nick, MP4-12C will be priced more or less on 458 Italia level. But, if you choose your option wisely MP4-12C should not be too expensive...

Markets? UK, Germany and USA are major markets. After that rest of Europe and Middle East, followed by Far East and ROW.

Trying to imagine potential costumer? Hmm... Someone who wants the best sportscar possible but, do not like "Flamboyant" Italian image. Someone who likes Porsche CGT and owned at least one Porsche in recent years. Someone who can live with "not in your face" design. Someone who enjoys driving. I could go on and on... Point is-not typical Ferrari or Lambo costumer.

It is a car for educated, fluent and wise costumer.SmileySmileySmiley

Hmnn, you mean we haven't been?

BTW, I like your description of the type of buyer who would be interested in the 12C. After years of Ferrari ownership, I found that getting away from the flashy, loud and in your face car is refreshing. Much has to do with my love of the 997.2TT. THe TT has everything the Ferrari has without the screaming and neon lights.

That said, I remain uncertain as to what I will do when my Ferrari dealer calls. A nice problem to have.

--

nberry:

Hmnn, you mean we haven't been?

BTW, I like your description of the type of buyer who would be interested in the 12C. After years of Ferrari ownership, I found that getting away from the flashy, loud and in your face car is refreshing. Much has to do with my love of the 997.2TT. THe TT has everything the Ferrari has without the screaming and neon lights.

That said, I remain uncertain as to what I will do when my Ferrari dealer calls. A nice problem to have.

Nice problem indeed...SmileySmiley

You know what will even wiser costumer for sportscar doSmiley

Wait for Porsche 991 Turbo.SmileySmiley Knowing Porsche they will made it even faster, safer and load with all latest technical stuff. Drivable daily and in all weather conditions. Cheaper then all competitors.  Huh...

Maybe best thing is to drive 997.2 Turbo PDK or Turbo S and simply to wait for 991 Turbo? This is what I call the safest bet of all.Smiley

I have already alerted my Porsche dealer for the 991 TT turbo Cab. I figure three years from now. He continues to ask whether I am interested in the 918 Spyder. My response is no; at least until I know what the price is. I have no intention of putting up $50,000.

--

KresoF1:

That's funny, Kreso. When I specced a car lately, these were exactly my colours. Favourite was titanium grey, BTW. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

KresoF1:

Nick, MP4-12C will be priced more or less on 458 Italia level. But, if you choose your option wisely MP4-12C should not be too expensive...

So you should stay away from carbon brakes, superlightweight wheels, CF bits and pieces all around and inside the car, maybe even full leather interior? And what's about HiFi/Navi-upgrade, racing seats, sports exhaust etc.? Smiley

--

I am also very excited about this car and will be looking to get one of the first ones if i can!

However there are only a couple of things that bother me. The main thing is the 600nm of torque.. I think this is waaay too low compared to the 997.2tt (700nm) and given the fact that I am now running around 900nm+ of torque in my car i am afraid that i will be looking to tune this engine after a couple of months of ownership..

Kreso do you know why they chose such a low torque figure? Is it because the gearbox cant take it? Or traction issues?

They implied to me in my visit 3 mths ago at the mclaren headquarters that they will be producing power upgrades etc for this car in the future..

GT:

They implied to me in my visit 3 mths ago at the mclaren headquarters that they will be producing power upgrades etc for this car in the future..

Isn't that a little bit annoying? The car is not even yet on the market and they are already speaking about power upgrades. Smiley

--

nberry:

I have already alerted my Porsche dealer for the 991 TT turbo Cab. I figure three years from now. He continues to ask whether I am interested in the 918 Spyder. My response is no; at least until I know what the price is. I have no intention of putting up $50,000.

Nick, I would stay away from 918. It will simply cost too much. For the same money you can have both 458 Italia and MP4-12C-that's a far better deal IMHO.

If you ask me for current favourite sportscar I have three only on my mind:

Ferrari 458 Italia

McLaren MP4-12C

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803121 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448524 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266049 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90027 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6518 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885615 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833129 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM