Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Panamera Turbo v Aston Martin Rapide

That top picture says it all - all that is wrong with the panamera.

Not just the size but the SHAPE of the size. It is in its own category, definitely not a sedan, and definitely not an X6-Acura ZDX type crossover. To be honest it looks like a station wagon/hearse type vehicle. So what can you call that a Stearse?

btw that particular merc is no prize winner, I can't stand the wheel bulge design trend on the new mercs. I feel like the panny will go down in history like the VW thing.

I still don't "buy" these comparisons, simply because I saw all these cars on the road and they all look smaller than the Panamera. Have you seen the new BMW 5 series ? It is actually not smaller than the Panamera but looks much smaller.

The S class may look bigger and maybe the BMW 7 series (though I sometimes have problems to differentiate the 7 series from the new 5 series). Weird.

Designers started to learn how to visually downsize cars, very clever thing, especially for Europe.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

....  Stearse  Smiley

1274038674448nice rear.JPG

I dunno it's growing on me. The fact that the 970 looks different from a sedan and T-model is very good because it is a Porsche. Besides, form follow function right

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Different ? Yes. This lady looks different too but I don't have to like it.  

From certain angles, the Panamera looks very attractive but I still hope that the facelift will eliminate some of the most critical points.

What counts most for me is the performance of the Panamera and the Turbo definitely delivers what I was hoping for. 

lady-gaga.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Come one Christian, that's a low blow with Lady Gaga hahahahaha

haha i can't believe he was able to find a nice picture of her

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

rapide.jpg

God, that's such a nice looking car, one fo the best, if not THE BEST looking sedan.

The WSJ will have a review of the Rapide tomorrow and AM will not like it. The Reviewer is Dan Neil one of the best in the business.

--

It will still be THE BEST LOOKING sedan even with a bad review. It's looks that counts for AM.

Notice I didn't best sedan, best handling sedan, but best LOOKING sedan :)

Had AM go for performance instead of looks, the Rapide with be 2-300lb lighter, with at least 50-100hp and awd.

Your impressions are correct. Here is what he had to say about the Rapide looks.

And the new Aston is beautiful. Chest-squeezing, arrythmia-inducing, stunningly gorgeous. I had occasion to park our willow-green-metallic test car next to a Porsche Panamera Turbo—one of the Aston's direct rivals—and the Porsche looked like Harold Bloom in a thong. Compared with the Aston, the Bentley Flying Spur looks like it should be pulling a disc cultivator.

The Aston Martin Rapide is a good looking, high performance luxury-mobile. But some design flaws, mean drivers and passengers may be cramped, Rumble Seat columnist Dan Neil reports.

--

nberry:

Rumble Seat columnist Dan Neil reports.

Never heard of these names Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I think AM will like the wriiten review quite a bit, it's exactly what they aim for. The guy also makes my points, posted above about what a luxury sedan should be.

more from the review;

And to be fair, once passengers are situated in the Rapide's rear seats, it's actually pretty comfortable back there The Aston's stitched leather interior is simply magnificent.........................................Actually, with a 0-60 mph acceleration of just under 5 seconds, it's actually pretty leisurely for a super sports car, but that's just the point: The car doesn't sacrifice refinement for some absurd and irrelevant acceleration figure.................Shod with 20-inch tires and with its deep-set stance, the Rapide has serious lateral grip and excellent, precise turn-in................The way this car looks people would buy it if it smelled like a rotting corpse.

Reading these excerpts it is obvious that this person is trying to write a AM publicity brochure rather than an automotive review. He is trying to sugar-coat the car's weaknesses with adverting parlance and to impose his opinion about the car's "beauty".

BTW it's very notable that most of the rennteam members outside the USA who commented on the car were not so taken by its looks, whereas Americans seem to be loving it

--

"Form follows function"

Dan Neil in my opinion is the best auto writer in the US. He normally writes for the LA Times but he was so well thought of that recently the Wall Street Journal the best national newspaper hired him to write weekly car reviews. 

--

nberry:

Dan Neil in my opinion is the best auto writer in the US. He normally writes for the LA Times but he was so well thought of that recently the Wall Street Journal the best national newspaper hired him to write weekly car reviews. 

I cannot doubt what you are saying about this individual but the car coverage in newspapers is rather "general purpose".

It's clear from the above than Dan decided to love the Rapide and is trying to find reasons to justify his love.

To my way of thinking the excerpt below is not serious auto-journalism. He speaks more like a defense lawyer Smiley

And to be fair, once passengers are situated in the Rapide's rear seats, it's actually pretty comfortable back there The Aston's stitched leather interior is simply magnificent.........................................Actually, with a 0-60 mph acceleration of just under 5 seconds, it's actually pretty leisurely for a super sports car, but that's just the point: The car doesn't sacrifice refinement for some absurd and irrelevant acceleration figure.................Shod with 20-inch tires and with its deep-set stance, the Rapide has serious lateral grip and excellent, precise turn-in................The way this car looks people would buy it if it smelled like a rotting corpse

--

"Form follows function"

I do not know this Dan Neil at all, never heard of him before this review. Nick probably likes him because the guy has a lawyers-type education background. If anything he was trying to be cute in his writing style by bashing the car's image needlessly. When he finally got down to the facts, he liked it.

What I know about the panamera is that most here did NOT like it when it was first spotted, In fact it was so ugly we all thought it was a mule body to throw us off. Except for Misha, So many here have grown to like it or become used to it. That's no good. It's an ugly car in a segment where looks is the number 1 consideration.

And sub 5 sec. 0-60 is not leisurely for any type of vehicle.

ISUK:

IMHO 'ring times are totally irrelevant to this type of car as it's not a sports car and certainly doesn't try to be. Ferrari do a V8 model to cover that base and it's called the 458

same logic

Panamera needs just a few tweaks  ....

4609 b.jpg

4609 b misha.JPG

Are we playing spot the difference?

I give up.

The LED and fake air intake 

--

987 Boxster S, Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' Livery, H&R Monotube Coil-Overs, H&R Anti Roll Bars, Strut Brace, FVD ECU, BMC Air Filter, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Racing Shells, PSE.

997 Carrera 4S, Guards Red, Bilstein PSS10 Damptronic, H&R Anti Roll Bars, IPD Plenum, Dension Gateway 500, PSE.

%$#$%#@%$!#@%@#

I hate this game, I am the worst ever.

Don't worry, I bet I'm worse than you!1275496941134ahhh.gif

wheels & ....JPG

Well that one was easy ! wheels are different 

Smiley

Not just that, but the brake caliber too

haha, wow that blue one looks pretty cool, but its mostly the angle.

--

Smiley  ...  and ,  with a "wheel spacers '  -  AM  Rapide stand no chances

1275641794252pana s misha.JPG

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763298 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435835 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260754 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257738 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81015 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872720 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808194 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM