Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Lexus LF-A revealed

Also interesting to note, Toyota will bot be 'selling' the car at all, all the cars will be on 2 year lease with the option to purchase it at the end of 2 years.

Official story was to prevent speculators, but the more likely reason is to make the entry fee more or less acceptable to people buying a Japanese car. At the so called list price Toyota has already priced itself out of the market, so instead of admitting their mistake in setting the price, Toyota is going to hand out sweetened leases.

Not in Europe Whoopsy. Over here it will be sold directly. Who on earth would want one is another story...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

You might want to double check that

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1038852_lexus-will-lease-all-500-lfa-supercars

I specifically remember reading about this and the Lexus exec said that in Europe the cars will be sold and not leased.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Whoopsy:

Also interesting to note, Toyota will bot be 'selling' the car at all, all the cars will be on 2 year lease with the option to purchase it at the end of 2 years.

Official story was to prevent speculators, but the more likely reason is to make the entry fee more or less acceptable to people buying a Japanese car. At the so called list price Toyota has already priced itself out of the market, so instead of admitting their mistake in setting the price, Toyota is going to hand out sweetened leases.

Same lease program has been done for F50 in the past.

Jean:
    Whoopsy:

Same lease program has been done for F50 in the past.

F50? Smiley  Don't you mean the FXX? Smiley

--

fritz

Neither the F50, nor the FXX were leased. They were purchased directly by customers who received the call from Ferrari and not the other way around. The twist is that in the case of the FXX Ferrari kept the car and brought it to various track events but the owner could also take it home with him if he wished so. Some FXXs ave been turned road leagal (minor changes required) and are terrorising Veyrons nowadays.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

F50 could only be leased, not purchased for the first two years in US.  

Ferrari wanted to control the rampant price speculation having learned from their US introduction of F40 where the price nearly reached $1 million thanks to speculators.

I'm just pointing out that this is an old trick, not some elaborate marketing scheme created by Lexus.

REALZEUS:

Some FXXs ave been turned road leagal (minor changes required) and are terrorising Veyrons nowadays.

It will be quite interesting to see a video of an FXX terrorising a Veyron.  Smiley

Jean:
    REALZEUS:

Some FXXs ave been turned road leagal (minor changes required) and are terrorising Veyrons nowadays.

It will be quite interesting to see a video of an FXX terrorising a Veyron.  Smiley

Imagine the face of a Veyron owner, feeling like he's driving the fastest thing on the road and scaring the shi1t out of everyone on the streets. then an FXX pulls up next to him on a stoplight Smiley priceless.

Lexus LFA sounds goods so far...

Lexus-LFA_Top-Gear.jpg

...apparently the LFA will feature on BBC Top Gear on 3 January 2010!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Lexus-LFA-brochure-link

I like the look of this car. And it seems to be pretty fast!

Just have the problem with "Lexus". I mean, this car has almost no status in Germany, neither on street nor in front of a Hotel, house, etc. You have to love it that much, otherwise you would never buy it (I know, that status of a Lexus will be different in the US or Canada)!.

Love the sound of that engine 

Lars, the awareness of Lexus is certainly more in North America, but the status as a high performance auto maker is still not there - they are known for well made and luxurious cars, with only a hint of performance except perhaps the recent IS-F.  

I think you are right in saying that a buyer needs to love the car despite the brand... you have to imagine that it is almost a custom exotic designed by some very talented engineers, a la Noble or something. 

--

Present: 2005 STi,  2002 M Coupe

Future: 2010 Cayman S - pending order;  2010 Audi S5 - on order

Lars997:

I like the look of this car. And it seems to be pretty fast!

Just have the problem with "Lexus". I mean, this car has almost no status in Germany, neither on street nor in front of a Hotel, house, etc. You have to love it that much, otherwise you would never buy it (I know, that status of a Lexus will be different in the US or Canada)!.

Outside of Japan, Lexus pretty much has no status with the general public as those Asians are still in love with Mercs or Bimmers and above like Bentleys and Rolls.

In NA, it has pretty good reputation as a bargain luxury brand, cheaper than the real thing but almost matching them with content. Definitely above Acura and Infiniti, and below the Germans, probably around the same level as Jaguars. As a Japanese car, they are infinitely more reliable than the British that's for sure.

www.worldcarfans.com/110012124125/lexus-lf-a-receives-high-demand-in-europe

WTF?! Smiley

Marketing-mind games? Smiley

--
    There is no try. Just do.

First-drive of the Lexus LF-A supercar...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Lexus LFA video by Chris Harris (evo magazine)

"Chris Harris video exclusive for evo: the Lexus LFA supercar tackles UK roads..."

Lexus-LFA_Chris-Harris-evo-video

Lexus-LFA_evo-track-test

Smiley SmileySmiley

This car is indeed a serious machine. Just the price tag is insane and out of the world

I have been invited for a personal presentation of the car.... I wonder how Toyota got my name and address ??? I am sure they got all the P owners address as my brother ( Porsche owner ) was also invited . Their customers target is very clear  !!!!

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I dare to hear what you say after seeing the car in flesh Gnil! Enjoy the event

Lars997:

I' m not going . I have much better to do that evening....... going to do night skiing folowed by a nice cheese fondue with some local friends  !!!!!! Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I' m not going . I have much better to do that evening....... going to do night skiing folowed by a nice cheese fondue with some local friends  !!!!!! Smiley

Ah yes, we call those Swiss Fondues here Smiley

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Gnil:
    Lars997:

Thats what I would prefer, too!

2012 Lexus LFA vs 2010 Nissan GT-R...

Comparison: 2012 Lexus LFA vs 2010 Nissan GT-R...

What Do You Need to Determine the Street Value of a $375,000 Lexus LFA? A Dyno, Dragstrip and An $87,000 Nissan GT-R.

(10 May 2010, Motor Trend)

The phone rings. It's Bill from down the street, with an offer he thinks we can't refuse. While he's normally our local fix for luxurious, relaxing trips (that sometimes cause drowsiness), today he proffers something vastly different: all the speed we can handle for 12 hours. The catch is this deal needs to go down in the next three days. Miss that window and his special shipment gets loaded into a crate and flown back to the Far East. Think about it he says, and get back to me.

What is there to consider?

Bill, you see, reps Lexus and is offering a 552-horsepower dose of nose-candy-colored LFA. We're intrigued, but also irked at the short notice and implication that we're easy and desperate for such a rush. Like we'd just drop everything and clear our schedule for a taste of this $375,000 LFA.

We call him back and arrange to meet the early the next morning at an industrial park off the freeway in Riverside, California.

They say the first hit is free, but this one is going to cost us a bit of our soul. Lexus USA owns but one LFA, a jet-black model used for advertising and potential customer events. This white one is on loan from Japan at substantial cost to the company -- air freight alone is some $40,000. Its time is up and it needs to go back ASAP, hence the last-minute notice.

It is also a preproduction prototype -- a crusher in industry parlance. It has no VIN or license plate, and sits on non-DOT-approved tires, so we can't drive it on the street. When we're done with it, it gets shipped back to Japan where it will likely be reduced to a fine, expensive powder. To ensure we don't facilitate an earlier end on this side of the Pacific, two watchful handlers will accompany us while we have it.

So, just how are we supposed to assess the LFA's street value with such draconian measures in place? We have a few tricks up our sleeve, but first we need verify its potency. Off to the speed shop.

The R&D center at K&N Air Filters dynos hundreds of cars a year in order to establish baseline figures and track performance of its products. Last year, K&N cycled its dynos over 6,800 times -- so often, that the companies that supply and support the dynomometer equipment use K&N's shop as a test bed for future upgrades. Bert, Dave, Kirk, and the rest of the guys that run the joint have seen a lot of cars come through, but judging by their reaction when the Toyota racing-liveried 18-wheeler pulls up, they haven't seen anything like the LFA.

Just what does $375,000 buy? About 3562 pounds of the purest, highest quality speed Japan has ever produced. Lexus claims a top speed of 202 mph from the LFA's 4.8-liter, Formula-1-derived, 552-horsepower V-10. Any way you cut it -- $232.00 per kilo or 6.5 lbs/hp -- those are impressive numbers. Are they for real? That's what we're about to find out.

Before we can even begin to strap the LFA down, it has to go up on a lift. There is small matter of removing three separate belly plans so that safety strap hard points can be accessed. Lexus claims it didn't initially plan on racing the LFA, and for the first time, that seems abundantly clear. More than 70 rubber gasket Torx bolts keep the front and two rear belly trays firmly attached to the car, necessitating some 30 minutes of removal time (and another 40 minutes to put it all back together).

Though the LFA is rear drive, we strap it to K&N's all-wheel drive Superflow dynamometer. Why? Because we tested our long-term, 2010 Nissan GT-R on the exact same system a few months earlier. (But more on that later.) Expectations are high, and K&N's dyno squad has a ritual when special cars like this pull in. Everyone present picks a horsepower number and throws in a buck for a winner-take-all dyno lottery. Most of the guys don't know much about the LFA, except what they've seen and heard during the first exploratory pass. No wonder wheel horsepower estimates run from 450 at the low end to 545 (only seven hp off the official crank number); the LFA's wide open wail has the guys itching for the upcoming supercar super lotto.

K&N's experts have decided on three runs in fifth gear (0.970:1), which is good for up to 172 mph. Fans positioned just ahead of the door handles are flipped on, directing air into the inlets above the wheel wells that feed the rear-mounted radiators. Dyno Dave toggles the upshift paddle until the LFA bogs in fifth. Around 50 mph he puts his right foot to the floor and the revs slowly begin to climb. Sixty, then 70 mph sweeps by steadily. At above 100 mph, the exhaust note sharpens to a hair-tingling yowl that turns into a fearsome shriek as revs continue to rise unabated. With the tach flashing and needle buried in the red, Dave lifts. Raw numbers flash upon the screen: 447.1 horsepower, 294.5 pound-feet of torque. After SAE correction, LFA output drops to 430.3 horsepower and 283.1 pound-feet of torque. We net nothing higher on successive passes, so it looks like the under takes all.

Perhaps there is another winner lurking in the dyno chart. When stacked against our long-term GT-R (see chart), it's not immediately clear which comes out ahead. The Lexus exhibits a sexy, racecar-like power curve, with all of its ponies smoothly served up at the end of the rev band. Godzilla makes significantly less power, but peaks some 5000 rpm earlier, which should mean more tractable and trackable performance. We shall see. More important is how the GT-R out-twists the LFA by nearly 100 pound-feet. The Lexus may lack the pull, but it still impresses with a table flat torque curve, with 90% of max delivered before 4000 rpm. With these thoughts churning, we decide to pop the LFA in sixth to see if will hit over 200 mph as claimed. What, you wouldn't?

Dyno Dave has seen a lot in this little room, but even he's excited about this blast to nowhere. "We get a lot of big power hot rods in here -- like this Nova last week that made over 1400 horsepower to the wheels. I'm used to older cars that vibrate. You know you're going too fast because things start to rattle. This is thing is so smooth and fast," says Dave. "You can get into a lot of trouble with this."

He woods the throttle again and we're off with a languid sweep of the digital needle. Sixth gear is tall (0.795:1), so we don't rapidly blast into the hundreds; we just keep inexorably piling on speed in 2- to 3-mph increments. The wincing and breath-holding begins just past 150, where lesser performance cars start to hit their limits -- electronically imposed or otherwise. Here the LFA is just relentless. Sure, there is no wind resistance on the dyno, but that only makes the exhaust note from the triple pipes sound that much more unholy -- like the union of a jet engine and Ducati race bike. No production V-10 has ever sounded this good. The digits 180, 190, 200 flicker in the cluster and we see 207 on the speedo before Dave lifts.

As the rollers bleed off excess speed with a howl, the SuperFlow's computer burps out a correction that shows the V-10 spinning at 8764 rpm when LFA hits 200.3 mph. Our head spins nearly as fast as we screw the belly pan back on and boogie to our next venue: the test track.

To put this Lexus (Lexus? Really?) in perspective, we truck over to nearby Autoclub Speedway in Fontana to join the rest of our crew -- and a very special guest. Since Bill never said we couldn't invite others to this bender, there to meet us is our favorite $87,000 yardstick -- our long term 2010 Nissan GT-R.

Subsequent testing proves the LFA to be dynamically superior to the GT-R in nearly every category. Any doubts that the Lexus is anything but a legitimate supercar are absolutely gutted on the test tarmac. Only supercars manage to brake from 60 in under 94 feet and pull 1.05 g on the skidpad. Sure, the GT-R retains bragging rights to 60 mph due to all wheel drive and shorter gearing, but to triple digits and beyond, it is all LFA. Then there is the way it handles our figure eight.

When provoked with blips of throttle mid-corner, the LFA's natural tendency is to snap its rear end out, but it's not what you'd call tail happy. As quickly as the tail can slip out, it also snaps back in with the barest lift of the throttle. Keep your right foot calm and there is tremendous grip and delicious neutrality in the way it enters and exits corners. The LFA feels far lighter and more balanced than the GT-R in every phase of driving; and with that V-10 singing, it's a rush like no other. The similarity both of these Japanese titans have is ease of use. You never think you're going that fast or cornering that hard -- until you look at your speedometer, lap time or competition in the rear view.

At no point was this made more clear than at the day's final stop: the dragstrip. There we lined up both supercars for one of our notorious throwdowns.

Even our hardened test crew puts down the clipboard and torque wrench when these two line up, murmuring mostly about how much wider the LFA looks and how low it sits. In truth, the GT-R is actually three tenths of an inch wider; the LFA only appears broader of beam because its roof is a half foot lower. The Lexus is also 6.1 inches shorter from nose to tail, and over 320 pounds lighter.

Although we already know who will win, it's all theoretical bench racing. During acceleration testing of the Lexus, we uncover an ugly truth about the LFA's long gestation period. Its sequential manual gearbox (SMG) feels years behind the dual clutch boxes like the GT-R.

Lexus claims no official launch control for the LFA, and its SMG transmission isn't particularly snappy when simply flooring the throttle. Yet all attempts at power braked launches (even with traction control completely shut off) are met with frantic resistance. Herky-jerky engagement results in only mid-4 second launches -- far off the claimed 3.6-second pace claimed by Lexus. At this point, our boy Bill suggests we try some illicit activity with his LFA. "Put it in neutral, rev to 4000 rpm, and then grab the + paddle for first gear," he says.

To his credit, road test editor Scott Mortara adamantly refuses -- not wanting to be the first (and last) journalist to litter the dragstrip with $375,000 worth of LFA powertrain. Only after a phone consultation with the engineers back at Lexus HQ, does Mortara grudgingly consent to try this technique.

It works, but not all of the time. A great launch means only a chirp of the tires and blistering acceleration, but vary the rpm just bit and the LFA torches its rubber before rocketing down the strip. A slight delay between paddle actuation and SMG response further complicates a fast start.

In comparison, few things are simpler than launching a GT-R. Since launch control has been removed, all it takes is a bit of powerbraking to help load the transmission and build boost. Then sledgehammer the pedal and hold on.

For our drag video (see below), we rely on time tested hand signals to stage and send the cars. After the ready confirmation, our starter's hands go up one at time. When they both go down, it's show time.

Nail the LFA launch just right -- just after the hands start coming down -- and a half-length holeshot on the GT-R is possible. That's enough to crush it from start to finish. Leave but a fraction of a second later, and the LFA becomes the hunted one. Eleven seconds have never felt this slow; at every upshift, the single-clutch Lexus loses precious inches off its lead to the double-clutching GT-R. One to two -- the GT-R hits 60 in just 3.5 seconds to the LFA's 3.8. Two to three, three to four -- the GT-R nearly pulls even as both accelerate into the triple digits. Only now the LFA begins to exhort its top end dominance. That three-tenths of a second advantage is gone by 90 mph. In fact, the LFA hits 100 mph four-tenths faster than the GT-R -- and just keeps going. As both flash past the quarter-mile marker, the LFA never looks back.

And yet, for those only interested in stoplight grand prix, the GT-R is still the better choice. While the LFA may be faster on paper and on limitless stretches of highway, Godzilla launches more consistently and feasts on imperfect launches. Nine times out of ten, the GT-R leaves quick enough to overcome the LFA's top-end advantage.

Time's up. The LFA is back on the truck and we're plummeting back to Earth, awash in residual afterglow. Back to being mere mortals (in possession of only one Japanese supercar), it is time now to asses the street value of this confounding Lexus LFA. In some ways it's too early to tell -- and that's not a copout. Only 500 are being made, and of those, only 150 will be available in the U.S., which means LFA will challenge exotics like the Carrera GT, SLR, Enzo, and Veyron in the realm of rarity. The steep pricetag and restrictive initial leasing program (to prevent speculators from buying and flipping) will further ensure this Lexus won't be at many Saturday morning car meets. That kind of exclusivity is a powerful aphrodisiac for many collectors and enthusiasts, which should keep LFAs residuals up long after the two-year leases end.

Remove the collectors and speculators from the equation, and the LFA is merely another absurdly fast, glorious sounding supercar, right? Oh, if it were only that simple. Armchair experts, looking hard at our images and videos, will dissect and ultimately denounce the LFA for not being invincible. Sure, if a GT-R can catch it off guard, so can a Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 911 Turbo, Corvette ZR-1, and Dodge Viper -- all for a lot less money. But citing times, trap speeds, or dollar signs as enough reason to elevate any one of those over the LFA is missing the point entirely. The LFA belongs in the elite supercar club as much as any choice Porsche, Ferrari, or Corvette. It looks and sounds like nothing else on the road, and is as fiendishly fast as it is complicated and indulgent -- the very embodiment of the country and motoring culture from which it comes.

As for what its worth on the street? You need only hear the intoxicating bark of that V-10 touching 9000 rpm to know the answer.

Every penny...

Lexus-LFA-vs-Nissan-GT-R_Motor-Trend

Smiley SmileySmiley

My take on the story is the LF-A is a failure as a supercar.

The only place where it can shine and let people over look it's weakness is on the track, but out on the real world, GTR, 997Turbo, Lambo, Ferrari, Corvettes and Vipers can eat it breakfast lunch and dinner.

Other TRUE supercars, ie CGT, Enzo, etc have no problem taking care of business on the street AND on the track.

If the bark of a 9000 rpm V10 is the only selling point, it's like those Civics with gigantic exhaust pipes that is loud, makes a ton of noises but goes no where.

Its not making a strong case for itself now is it? $400K LFA vs. $80K GTR and the Lexus wins by less than a car length? We know the GTR is a hell of a fast car for the money, but an additional $320K for an extra few tenths over the 1/4 mile? Please. I'd take the GTR plus a nicely optioned 458 over this, admittedly well engineered and great sounding, dated looking car.

Lexus LF-A driven by Road and Track...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Interesting note, it is not selling out in the US, there are many build slots left to be taken.

Too early to say this car is a failure?

Whoopsy:

Interesting note, it is not selling out in the US, there are many build slots left to be taken.

Oh really?  I thought they had over 500 orders in each territory it was coming out in?  (though less than 200 are making it in the US) Especially surprising, as the Lexus brand is quite strong here in the US.  Where did you read about this?  I'd like to find out more.

Smiley

Geoff

--

2001 Corolla LE - 0-60: Yes.

2009 Corvette Z06 - 0-60: Ooooh yes.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763850 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436177 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260897 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257862 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82579 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876587 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808530 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM