Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Official: 2011 MB CLS

just spotted final shots posted on autoblog.com. It was probably for some advertising shots but its uncovered and appears to be the final thing. I really like it, it shows a new design Era for mercedes.

11%20CLS%20prf%201600-thumb-717x452.jpg

11%20CLS%20frnt%201600-thumb-717x452.jpg

11%20CLS%20tlight%201600-thumb-717x452.jpg

I really like it!

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Re: Official: 2011 MB CLS

It's nice indeed, but I need to see more of it. The back looks like a face to me, but I can't make up my mind whether it has a mean or friendly expression? 

Looks over-styled and busy to me. I like simpler lines.

--

"Form follows function"

Smiley

I actually like the way this is going. is it just me or the wing mirrors don't go with the rest of the car at all.

Enmanuel:

I actually like the way this is going. is it just me or the wing mirrors don't go with the rest of the car at all.

Absolutely agree, the design of the mirrors doesn't fit at all. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Enmanuel:

Absolutely agree, the design of the mirrors doesn't fit at all. Smiley

Thanks for regulation, designers are left without much choice if they must be of a certain size Smiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Mercedes.JPG

--
    Happy Driving

not too sure about this redesign of one of the better looking cars of the last 10 years.

saw these views of a cls estate

Are side mirrors no longer allowed in the corner of the window or so?

The next gen 911 will also feature the side mirrors attached to the door panel, below the window, instead of in the corner. Looks really odd to me.

New EU regulations or so?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

Are side mirrors no longer allowed in the corner of the window or so?

The next gen 911 will also feature the side mirrors attached to the door panel, below the window, instead of in the corner. Looks really odd to me.

New EU regulations or so?

The regulations don't directly govern the shape or position of mirrors but what the driver must be able to see through them. So, in order to satisfy these rear field of view regulations manufacturers most often have to make the mirrors larger and also to reposition them.

Discussion on aesthetics aside, if you sit in a newer model of any car you have much better rear vision which makes driving safer and more comfortable.

--

"Form follows function"

Wow, that new rear/tail treatment is way way better than the old one. The old tail was the car's worst attribute, even though I bought one, I still hated the tail. I used to park the car in a way I don't have to walk pass the rear so I don't have to see that.

Whoopsy:

Wow, that new rear/tail treatment is way way better than the old one. The old tail was the car's worst attribute, even though I bought one, I still hated the tail. I used to park the car in a way I don't have to walk pass the rear so I don't have to see that.

And you still kept the car? That sounds like a major flaw... 

reginos:
    Discussion on aesthetics aside, if you sit in a newer model of any car you have much better rear vision which makes driving safer and more comfortable.

Perhaps it does, but the size of these larger mirrors, and their position at the base of the bulky A-pillars of many cars, is creating huge blind spots in front of you eg. at the 10:00 and 2:00 view positions - this is not more safe.   If you are a bit shorter (many women included) it is even worse because you can't see as much over the mirrors.   IMO these mirror regulations are a wonderful example of "solving" one problem and causing another.   Smiley 

Sorry for the OT rant... (but the Mercedes could be interesting!!)

--

2010 Audi S5,  2002 M Coupe

4trac:
    reginos:

Perhaps it does, but the size of these larger mirrors, and their position at the base of the bulky A-pillars of many cars, is creating huge blind spots in front of you eg. at the 10:00 and 2:00 view positions - this is not more safe.   If you are a bit shorter (many women included) it is even worse because you can't see as much over the mirrors.   IMO these mirror regulations are a wonderful example of "solving" one problem and causing another.   Smiley 

I'm ok with the regulations, in this specific case i just think the overall shape should've been more coherent with the rest of the car. the mirrors are squared and angular whereas the rest f the design is curvy and organic.

IMO this newer design element of bulging the rear fender is not a successful one. They are trying to create a useless link with the 50s "Ponton".

2010-mercedes-e-class-back.jpg1953 Mercedes-Benz 190D Ponton -1.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

4trac:
    reginos:

im with 4trac on this one. The mirrors are the worst thing, way too huge. Over here in Vancouver it would do much better to actually teach drivers what the mirror is for in the first place instead of making it redicilously large. IMO it is another safety thing that has minimal benefits at best. Whats wrong with the good old 2 inch round mirror on just the driver side.

--

Atzporsche:
    4trac:
    reginos:

im with 4trac on this one. The mirrors are the worst thing, way too huge. Over here in Vancouver it would do much better to actually teach drivers what the mirror is for in the first place instead of making it redicilously large. IMO it is another safety thing that has minimal benefits at best. Whats wrong with the good old 2 inch round mirror on just the driver side.

Look at it from the positive side, if you approach a car with larger mirrors, it's more likely he'll see you and not switch to your lane just in front of you. 

Eunice:

Look at it from the positive side, if you approach a car with larger mirrors, it's more likely he'll see you and not switch to your lane just in front of you. 

Okay, in this case only all the other cars need Dumbo-styled rear mirrors, I can do without then. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    Eunice:

Okay, in this case only all the other cars need Dumbo-styled rear mirrors, I can do without then. Smiley

--

Smiley SmileySmiley

Another shot from the front completely uncovered. I like it a lot, it has a very nice flow to it. nice lines and still classic not hyundai looking IMO 

9191856871918092967.jpg

--

Eunice:
    Whoopsy:

Car is gone for a while, just too lazy to retake the avatar pic. Replaced it with a 335xi for the wife to run around.

ML63 is also gone too, an X5 4.8 in it's place because of the 7 seats.

Whoopsy:
    Eunice:
    Whoopsy:

Car is gone for a while, just too lazy to retake the avatar pic. Replaced it with a 335xi for the wife to run around.

stable pics or it didnt happen Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    Eunice:
    Whoopsy:

All black still i suppose Smiley come on whoopsy a little update pic would be nice

Weather is not playing nice, but will probably do one again soon, just waiting for the X6M to arrive next week

It wasn't all black, the 2 Mercs were black but the Turbo was midnight blue. The X5 is Monaco Blue and the X6M is carbon black, i.e. another shade of midnight. White for the 335, wife too lazy to wash car and I am not going to wash her car for her.

Now go bug Mike for the CGT pic.

Whoopsy:

Weather is not playing nice, but will probably do one again soon, just waiting for the X6M to arrive next week

It wasn't all black, the 2 Mercs were black but the Turbo was midnight blue. The X5 is Monaco Blue and the X6M is carbon black, i.e. another shade of midnight. White for the 335, wife too lazy to wash car and I am not going to wash her car for her.

Now go bug Mike for the CGT pic.

We are working on a shift system now, rossi was first, then mike, now its someone elses turn Smiley  We'll see who stops the torture first.

The shape of the car is great. Daimler seems to be back on track with their design. Now they only have to work on the road-feeling. I'm still not a fan of the driving of the new E-Class, current CLS, or SL. Still to much comfortable and that funny "I'm not connected with the street" feeling.

Lars997:

Still to much comfortable and that funny "I'm not connected with the street" feeling.

I thought that was a built-in feature. Smiley

car_photo_384064_25.jpg

car_photo_384061_25.jpg

car_photo_384058_25.jpg

--
    Happy Driving

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    834596 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    464020 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    285402 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    98784 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    17840 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 7/27/24 8:44 PM
    Pilot

908930 1365
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM
    mcdelaug
    436505 1454
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 12/13/23 2:48 PM