Unbelievable. Smiley

What happened to the real Clarkson?

Re: Clarkson goes Ga Ga for the GT3!

drink.gif1273400468207drunk.gif

Porsche 911 GT3

Article by Jeremy Clarkson, Sunday Times

(9 May 2010)

Something strange is going on in this country. In the run-up to the general election David Cameron was constantly accused of being unfit for office because of his excellent education at Eton and Oxford. Isn’t that like suggesting an athlete should be barred from the British Olympic team because they are “too fast”?

It was much the same story with Nick Clegg. People loved him ... right up to the point when they learnt he had been educated at Westminster and Cambridge. Somehow, that immediately precluded him from being any good at anything. It’s hard, really, to understand what the critics are suggesting. Do they think that a fat and idiotic woman from Mansfield would make a better leader because she is thick? Or am I missing something?

And so it was with the vulgar subject of money. There was a time, not that long ago, when no one in this country ever spoke about how much anyone earned. I remember once being in a Swedish tank when all of a sudden the captain turned and asked: “Right. How much did you make last year?” I couldn’t have been more taken aback if he’d asked me how often I had @*&% &^%.

Now, though, things are different. We are told, often, that the director-general of the BBC earns more than £800,000 and that this is an obscene amount of money. Right. I see. So what should he be paid? Half that? A quarter? Is £50,000 acceptable? To someone on the minimum wage, probably not.

Doubtless the bitter and the twisted looked at all those multi-millionaires in this newspaper’s recent Rich List and thought: “How can any one man possibly have a fortune of £1 billion?”

Why shouldn’t he? It is no skin off your nose. At the very least, you don’t have to sit next to him on a plane. And anyway, if the government took all his money away and distributed it evenly among the rest of the population, you’d be £16 richer and he’d be wondering why he spent his whole life working so damn hard.

He did. One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

This opinion no longer washes, though. I appear to be in a minority of one. People still want to be rich, but they don’t want anyone else to get there first; a point that becomes blindingly obvious when you try to pull out of a side turning in an ice-white Porsche 911 GT3.

Now I should make it plain that I have never let a 911 out of a side turning, either. Not because I despise the man who’s driving it, but because I have always despised the car, a machine born of an original idea by Hitler. The engine was in the wrong place, the handling was suspect, the styling never really changed and the air-cooled noise made me think I was in Martin Bormann. Plus, Richard Hammond has one.

I will admit that since Porsche moved the powerplant forward and began using water to cool the block, rather than air, things have improved. In recent years I’ve even admitted a grudging respect for the way these throwbacks drive. But I’ve never liked the 911. I’ve never thought of owning one. They were, you might say, a bit like Margaret Thatcher. You could admire her but at no point did you think: “Mmmm.”

To be honest, I wasn’t expecting the GT3 to be any different. I was even a bit worried about writing a review of the damn thing because there are only so many ways you can say the same thing.

Sure enough, it was immediately annoying. The nose is so low to the ground that it scooped half the gravel off my drive and could not be driven over a sleeping policeman, even at 1mph. What’s more, the rear seats have been replaced with scaffolding (said that before) and the ride, at low speed, was horrific. Not as bad, I admit, as it is in my Mercedes CLK Black. But terrible nevertheless.

Of course, you imagine that these things are necessary evils in a car built mainly for the track. Aha. Not so. The track car in the 911 line-up is the GT3 RS — pay attention at the back. The normal GT3 is a sort of halfway house. It even came with halfway-house tyres — semi-slicks that made me deeply grateful that we were having the driest April since Jonathon Porridge began.

So you have the scaffolding and the hard ride and the low nose but you also have, as standard or on the options list, cruise control, air-conditioning, satellite navigation and iPod connectivity. This, then, is a luxury fighter plane. A class-1 offshore liner. A diamond-encrusted AK-47.

And I was facing a long drive in the damn thing. I looked around the yard for something else to take, but, having established the motor mower was out of fuel, settled with a reluctant sigh into the deeply bucketed front seat of Porsche’s mixed bag of nonsense.

The first thing I noticed was that as the speed increases, and it increases at a fair old lick, the ride seems to soften. The car feels less stiff, less as though it is determined to shake your arms out of their sockets. At normal speed you would even describe it as comfortable. If you keep on accelerating, things get awfully hectic. You need to be going very fast for this to happen, though. Chasing-a-superbike fast.

Back in the real world, with the biker in a hedge, wiping his bottom, the 911 is also very quiet, despite the fitment of aluminium doors and an engine cover made of a lightweight synthetic material. You could live with this car, I thought. Obviously, I couldn’t, because it’s a 911, but you could.

On the Top Gear test track, it was a disappointment. Around the corner we call Chicago, almost all cars will lurch into oversteer as the camber changes. But not the GT3. It understeered. A lot.

Despite this, I enjoyed the man/machine interface. Unlike lesser 911s, it had no direct injection, and the gearbox was a standard six-speed manual. It even made proper engine noises, rather than the tricksy exhaust bellow from, say, an Aston Martin.

As the miles wore on, I started to think that maybe I could live with this car. And then I started to wonder how it would be possible to not live with it. I was falling in love.

It’s the steering, mainly. It’s beyond fabulous. I know of no car that makes bends such an undiluted joy. The other day I deliberately drove through Milton Keynes simply because it has lots of roundabouts.

Then you have the little things: the sat nav that’s so damn easy to use, the enormous range between fill-ups, the extraordinarily low price for what you get and the speeds that can be achieved.

And then there’s the shape. As is the way with girlfriends, once you start to like the character, you begin to see handsomeness even when there is none. At the very least, you have to say this is the best-looking Porsche, and to judge by the company’s recent efforts, I’m glad the nincompoops in the design department haven’t tried to change it.

It’s not just the looks that grew on me, either. In the past I’ve always preferred Ferraris because they are built with passion, not precision. But now, I dunno, I found myself appreciating the quality of the Porsche. No one ever bought a Ferrari thinking: “That’ll see me out.” But you could with a 911.

I shall finish with one more observation. In the Eighties, 911s were bought by City boys who simply wanted a car to show off their wealth. The big Breitling had not been invented then. This is why, I guess, other road users hate them so much. Because there’s an assumption the bloody thing is being driven by Fred Goodwin. Or some other sod who’s paid too much.

But today things have changed. Today 911s are generally driven, I’ve noticed, by grey-haired, sensible people who need some common sense in their lives but who at the same time cannot live without the extraordinary feel of that steering. It’s a bug, and I fear I have it too. I want a GT3.

THE CLARKSOMETER

Clarkson’s verdict: “I’ve never wanted a Porsche. Now I do”

Porsche 911 GT3

Engine: 3797cc, six cylinders
    Power: 429bhp @ 7600rpm
    Torque: 317 lb ft @ 6250rpm
    Transmission: Six-speed manual
    Acceleration: 0-62 mph: 4.1sec
    Top Speed: 194mph
    Fuel: 22.1mpg
    CO2: 303g/km
    Tax Band: M (£950 for first year)
    UK Price: £85,564
    Release Date: On sale now

Smiley SmileySmiley

Hehe, excellent.  I wonder why they gave him a (presumably Clubsport) car with a cage.  He always complains about that kind of thing.  I imagine a road-spec one would have received an even more glowing review..

--

2007 987S, KW v3 1964 Type 1

Clarkson couldn't defend the indefensible forever.

His blind fixation on Ferrari and his anti-Porsche stand have made him look like an idiot, already.

Nevertheless, read this ridiculous piece of automobile journalism:

"... but because I have always despised the car, a machine born of an original idea by Hitler"

How can this guy be given a platform from which to utter this type of foolishness

--

"Form follows function"

What the hell's the world coming to? 

First our own Nick sees the light, and now Clarkson. 

The next time someone complains about the styling of the 911 not having been changed enough down the years, could someone please remind me to respond with the following quote from Clarkson: 
    "At the very least, you have to say this is the best-looking Porsche, and to judge by the company’s recent efforts, I’m glad the nincompoops in the design department haven’t tried to change it."

Another quote I liked was:
    "Today 911s are generally driven, I’ve noticed, by grey-haired, sensible people who need some common sense in their lives but who at the same time cannot live without the extraordinary feel of that steering. It’s a bug   ..........."

In my view that sums up the way that the 911 has always been viewed in Germany, in particular, and that is what differentiates it from other sports cars or car brands with sporting aspirations. The 911 never been looked upon as a pimpmobile or yuppymobile. 

--

fritz

reginos:

Nevertheless, read this ridiculous piece of automobile journalism:

"... but because I have always despised the car, a machine born of an original idea by Hitler"

How can this guy be given a platform from which to utter this type of foolishness

Put it down to a lowering of standards by the people at the BBC and the Sunday Times who employ him. 

--

fritz

fritz:

Clarkson is only following....he knew he finally lost his case when Nick got the TT Cab Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:
    fritz:

Clarkson is only following....he knew he finally lost his case when Nick got the TT Cab Smiley

I hadn't thought of that.  Smiley 

Next thing we know, Clarkson will be doing endorsements for Starbucks' coffee.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:

The next time someone complains about the styling of the 911 not having been changed enough down the years, could someone please remind me to respond with the following quote from Clarkson: 
    "At the very least, you have to say this is the best-looking Porsche, and to judge by the company’s recent efforts, I’m glad the nincompoops in the design department haven’t tried to change it."

Another quote I liked was:
    "Today 911s are generally driven, I’ve noticed, by grey-haired, sensible people who need some common sense in their lives but who at the same time cannot live without the extraordinary feel of that steering. It’s a bug   ..........."

In my view that sums up the way that the 911 has always been viewed in Germany, in particular, and that is what differentiates it from other sports cars or car brands with sporting aspirations. The 911 never been looked upon as a pimpmobile or yuppymobile. 

Clarkson has already said the exact opposite to all of the above, so we might now declare him mentally healthy, but that might be too soon. We should wait with our final verdict until he gets to drive the next Aston.

Didn't he really like the 997 Turbo when he reviewed it as well?

--

http://www.phrog.co.uk

In my opinion Jeremy Clarkson is a guy who really knows his stuff when it comes to cars-BUT his primary concern is his own image-can't blame him,makes a decent living out of being entertainer.He obviously thinks saying things like 'a  machine born of an original idea by Hitler' does the trick.

So i read his reviews just to have a laugh and maybe read some really interesting thought between the lines.

But as i said i think he is a smart guy,who chose to be the richest instead of most trusted auto journalist.

lor:

In my opinion Jeremy Clarkson is a guy who really knows his stuff when it comes to cars-BUT his primary concern is his own image-can't blame him,makes a decent living out of being entertainer.He obviously thinks saying things like 'a  machine born of an original idea by Hitler' does the trick.

So i read his reviews just to have a laugh and maybe read some really interesting thought between the lines.

But as i said i think he is a smart guy,who chose to be the richest instead of most trusted auto journalist.

Smiley

Eunice:
    Clarkson has already said the exact opposite to all of the above, so we might now declare him mentally healthy, but that might be too soon. We should wait with our final verdict until he gets to drive the next Aston.

From what i have read so far, he is still very consistent in disliking cars with a lot technology and electronics, as it takes away the passion of driving. In that sense, the GT3 review is still very Clarkson. The GT3 is the purest among today's modern sport car, you rarely see cars today with over 100K price tag that only comes with a 6 speed manual.

--

www.youtube.com/watch

Last sunday, I saw a beautiful new GT3 RS in Munich and I was telling myself: it is actually a shame to drive this car through crowded traffic in downtown Munich but on the other hand, I would enjoy every second of it.

The GT3 RS is one of my dream cars, it combines the perfect amount of insane sportiness with daily driver capabilities. I'm so sad I can't afford one anymore.  

The GT3 (without RS) isn't far from it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

"And then there’s the shape. As is the way with girlfriends, once you start to like the character, you begin to see handsomeness even when there is none. At the very least, you have to say this is the best-looking Porsche, and to judge by the company’s recent efforts, I’m glad the nincompoops in the design department haven’t tried to change it.

It’s not just the looks that grew on me, either. In the past I’ve always preferred Ferraris because they are built with passion, not precision. But now, I dunno, I found myself appreciating the quality of the Porsche. No one ever bought a Ferrari thinking: “That’ll see me out.” But you could with a 911.

I shall finish with one more observation. In the Eighties, 911s were bought by City boys who simply wanted a car to show off their wealth. The big Breitling had not been invented then. This is why, I guess, other road users hate them so much. Because there’s an assumption the bloody thing is being driven by Fred Goodwin. Or some other sod who’s paid too much.

But today things have changed. Today 911s are generally driven, I’ve noticed, by grey-haired, sensible people who need some common sense in their lives but who at the same time cannot live without the extraordinary feel of that steering. It’s a bug, and I fear I have it too. I want a GT3."

That really captures what I a Ferrari lover now feel. The more I drive the turbo 2 the more I bond with it. It is a fabulous car and for the money nothing can touch it.

I also believe the PDK makes a world of difference. It elevates the car to the modern performance car world. It provides versatility, comfort and rawness if needed. 

--

That's it, Nick finally see the light.

...let's hope Top Gear has an updated Porsche vs Ferrari comparison in the mid-year series...

Smiley SmileySmiley

That guy blows hot and cold on 911's.  he can never quite make his mind up.  He's entertaining, but doesnt know much about cars!

i don't even think he entertains now.  He's just like a hoon, fallen into the ugly world of drifting cars that need to be properly cornered.

hoon defined:  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoon    "...Hoon activities can include speeding, burnouts, doughnuts or screeching tires"

--

Jay:

i don't even think he entertains now.  He's just like a hoon, fallen into the ugly world of drifting cars that need to be properly cornered.

hoon defined:  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoon    "...Hoon activities can include speeding, burnouts, doughnuts or screeching tires"

Nice one Jay.  I couldnt agree more. 

Hoon:  This guy makes Clarkson look like a true gear head -

http://www.youtube.com/kbb#p/a/u/0/1b7vamvreJM

Prepare to cringe...

What a complete prat.  How can you treat a car like that and be proud of it!

davew (cincy):

Hoon:  This guy makes Clarkson look like a true gear head -

http://www.youtube.com/kbb#p/a/u/0/1b7vamvreJM

Prepare to cringe...

It fits well with the Mustang target market group. 

--

www.youtube.com/watch

nothing happens when I click on the link????

Gees, I wonder why the tire shop guys are so happy when he does the huge burnout

--

Slow In, Fast Out

FFaust:

Gees, I wonder why the tire shop guys are so happy when he does the huge burnout

Haha.  Great business model.  Cheer the idiot on 'till he bursts another set and then welcome him back for another set Smiley

--

Exactly the reason why drifting is a big hit among tire makers and sellers.

Despite the fact that drifting do considerable wear on tires, It is an important skill to have for every fast driver. If the car has LSD, and just the right amount of power to keep the tires slipping. You will still get a reasonable lifetime for your tires - longer lifetime than track driving, as it will create extensive wear in the front sidewall. My experience is that the slowest guys on the track usually don't have that skill. I also never met a race driver who can't keep the car sideways.

Drifting is a respectable car control skill, Burn outs is for "hoons".

--

www.youtube.com/watch

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690586 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409824 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256060 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235292 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4699 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858507 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774771 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM