Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: SportCars comparison

There is no way that the SLS is more comfortable than the Porsche. All eight of us when reviewing the car talked about the claustrophobic feeling of the SLS compared to the 430, AM and 997. Unless MB made changes which I seriously doubt, the AB finding in this area is pure bullshit.

Kreso, we also commented on the awkwardness of the gull-wing doors. This is the 21st Century and those doors are gimmicky and impractical.

--

Conny997:

Here are the results of the current SportCars magazine (june issue), where they tested the  911 Turbo PDK, SLS AMG, R8 5.2 quattro:

(911/SLS/R8)
    acceleration 0-100 kp/h: 3,3 * 3,9 * 3,9
    acceleration 0-200 kp/h: 10,8 * 11,1 * 12,0
    Quartermile: 11,26 * 11,70 * 11,90
    Tracktime Sachsenring (min): 1:36,86 * 1:37,17 * 1:37,48
    Tested consumption (l/100 km): 13,6 * 15,1 * 15,2

So, what do you thing which car wins the comparison Smiley
    The Porsche?

No, far away, her's the ranking:

1. SLS
    2. Porsche
    3. Audi

The Porsche suffers compared to Mercedes, because it's less confy and less suitable for everyday usage. I can't understand that judgement, though.
    The Porsche is a 4-wheel drive and much more spacious in the interior.
    And its doors are to me way better suited for daily use, than the wingdoors.
    Don't get me wrong, but this is a SPORTSCAR comparison, how can the most comfortable win?
    The reason will be known only by "Auto Bild Sportcars"....Smiley

according to these numbers the turbo from 100-200 in 7.5 sec and the SLS 7.2 sec
    but in real life situations i don't think the SLS will be faster even from roll
    and about the SLS being more comfortable than the turbo its totally BS I've tested the SLS for 2 days it wasnt more comfortable than the Porsche maybe they tested the turbo with sports bucket seats otherwise it cant be, its somehow suitable for everyday use but no compression with the turbo
    maybe they think the SLS is better but not comfortable-wise

I like only two things on the SLS:

1. engine/exhaust sound...the 997 Turbo just can't cope with it

2. the doors (it is special)

I would buy the 997 Turbo S over the SLS without even thinking.

Just imagine driving the SLS on snow in winter time and yes, I do that all the time in my 997 Turbo.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Why are the doors special? Modern car  features should have a purpose. I see no benefit to the gull-wing doors. They are difficult to get in and out of.

It does puzzle me regarding the Turbo exhaust. I love everything about the car but will admit at times I miss the Ferrari sound. Why can't Porsche juice up the Turbo sound? I know it is to be a daily driver but it would not compromise that feature if it had a more aggressive exhaust.

--

nberry:

Why are the doors special? Modern car  features should have a purpose. I see no benefit to the gull-wing doors. They are difficult to get in and out of.

It does puzzle me regarding the Turbo exhaust. I love everything about the car but will admit at times I miss the Ferrari sound. Why can't Porsche juice up the Turbo sound? I know it is to be a daily driver but it would not compromise that feature if it had a more aggressive exhaust.

The doors are special from a showing-off point of view. Sorry if I didn't make that clearer.

Porsche and exhaust sounds....they don't seem to get it right on their turbo charged 911 models. The engine/exhaust sound is part of the whole driving experience, Porsche doesn't seem to realize this regarding the Turbo. Or they just have technical difficulties to implement a decent sound, look at my BMW X5 M for example...twin turbo charged engine, loud exhaust sound but it sounds like a tuned turbo charged 4-cylinder hatchback and not a V8 SUV.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Aren't turbo engines generally more muted due to the re-direction of the gases through the turbocharger?

On top of that Porsche engines are realatively small capacity at 3.6 or 3.8 liters and also flat (horizontally opposed engines) make a very particular high pitched sound different from the sound of straight 6 or V6/8 engines.

What I don't like about Ferrari sound is that the engines appear as if strained and loud even when cruising in the city at 50km/h. Too much aural exhibitionism IMO.

--

"Form follows function"

Re. gull wing door, in the scenario of a rollover with car ending up on its roof: How do you get out? I saw a picture of the safety mechanism to release the door but the hole looks very small. I shudder thinking of such a scenario and a fire.

Has anyone looked under the hood? About 2-3 feet behind front grill looks to be just empty space to give the car its form? This form doesn't follow function at all -- all about look. Even so, the "look" is not exactly what I would call attractive.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

reginos:

Aren't turbo engines generally more muted due to the re-direction of the gases through the turbocharger?

On top of that Porsche engines are realatively small capacity at 3.6 or 3.8 liters and also flat (horizontally opposed engines) make a very particular high pitched sound different from the sound of straight 6 or V6/8 engines.

Yes above is true, the turbo is directly in the path and muffles the sound. But the real problem as RC mentioned is that someone at Porsche can't hear, or has the wrong philosophy for what the sound should be. After-market systems like Cargraphic and Tubi have shown that the 997 Turbo's sound could be markedly better.

The sound frequency could be tuned very well also, for example while my Cargraphic would never sound like an American push-rod V8, it has a low frequency grunt to die for, and the overall sound is not high-pitched at all, more of a mid-range scream.

Nick, I've driven the 997.2 Turbo and agree with you: Sounds warmer and better than 997.1, but nothing like what I envision what a sport car *should* sound like. But as this is your wife's car, if you are thinking about changing, be careful because in my experience, 98% of women (ok 98% of the ones who have heard my car -- heard not listened, ha-ha) either don't understand, don't like, or dislike Smiley louder exhaust. The only system that I might suggest would be Tubi, as it's relatively a quiet one.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

cannga:
    The only system that I might suggest would be Tubi, as it's relatively a quiet one.

..but than I could stick with the stock one..Smiley
    Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S (Jun 10) *  BMW X5 M

cannga:

Nick, I've driven the 997.2 Turbo and agree with you: Sounds warmer and better than 997.1, but nothing like what I envision what a sport car *should* sound like.

The 997.2 Turbo definitely sounds better than the first generation and if all those preliminary driving reports should be accurate, the Turbo S should sound even better. Smiley

And if we are talking about what a sports car should sound like, I guess that may be valid for cars like a 458, Gallardo or GT3 for example. But the Turbo is something like the egg-laying wooly milk-pig Smiley, if you know what I mean, so it has to have some sound, but it is not as important as in case of an exotic sports car. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

The 997.2 Turbo definitely sounds better than the first generation and if all those preliminary driving reports should be accurate, the Turbo S should sound even better. Smiley

And if we are talking about what a sports car should sound like, I guess that may be valid for cars like a 458, Gallardo or GT3 for example. But the Turbo is something like the egg-laying wooly milk-pig Smiley, if you know what I mean, so it has to have some sound, but it is not as important as in case of an exotic sports car. Smiley

Good point.Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Rossi:

Agreed. Smiley Although, I should add that arguably the most "exotic" of all 997's, the GT2, doesn't sound particularly "good" either in its stock form, at least in comparison to its Ferrari/Lambo/etc. competitors. Much better than stock Turbo but still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of volume and sound quality/character.

BTW: Is this expression of the all-competent piggy of German origin? From eierlegende wollmilchsau?

eierlegendewollmilchsau.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

Can, you couldn't be more right about what my wife. I mentioned in passing the muted sound of the exhaust and she immediately responded "don't get any ideas about changing the exhaust. As far as I am concerned it is perfect". The matter has been put to bed.Smiley

Stefan, are you saying that the 997.2Turbo is not an exotic sport car?Smiley 

What I find interesting and to my surprise is many people do.Smiley

--

cannga:
    BTW: Is this expression of the all-competent piggy of German origin? From eierlegende wollmilchsau?

eierlegendewollmilchsau.jpg

That comes close, but it could be a near relevant of the Bavarian Wolpertinger as well. Smiley

--

nberry:

Nick, it can't be an exotic sports car, it's German. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    nberry:

Nick, it can't be an exotic sports car, it's German. Smiley

SmileySmiley I can't argue with that. Hey, wait a minute. Isn't the Gallardo German?Smiley Smiley

--

Thanks, review as expected.

I like this colour together with the black wheels

Can a German speaker clarify whether the correct name is "Mezger" or "Metzger" as both are being used in various publications/sites for the Porsche engineer?

911ts_3-L.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

the name is "Hans Mezger" , so "Mezger" is correct.

d997h:

the name is "Hans Mezger" , so "Mezger" is correct.

Thank you!

--

"Form follows function"

I would still opt for black/black wheels but the Turbo S is the hell of an offer from Porsche, no doubt about it. Exhaust sound still sucks though. 

--

Christian, I find 997.2 Turbo PDK exhaust note better then the one on 997.1 Turbo. Also, what othet biturbo engine sounds that much better?

Audi RS6 maybe? McLaren MP4-12C for sure but, that car is in upper class IMHO.

KresoF1:

Christian, I find 997.2 Turbo PDK exhaust note better then the one on 997.1 Turbo. Also, what othet biturbo engine sounds that much better?

Audi RS6 maybe? McLaren MP4-12C for sure but, that car is in upper class IMHO.

The combination of:

• Turbocharging
    • Flat (Boxer) Engine with only 6 C, and
    • Small displacement (relatively)

is not the best for sound.

Tuners may enhance the sound but I'm sure their systems are not 100% within the rules of every single country like the manufacturers'. These systems are aftermarket and during the compulsory tests on used cars they are not tested for every single regulation in every country. Usually, in most places the tests for engine noise are superficial, if they exist at all.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Tuners may enhance the sound but I'm sure their systems are not 100% within the rules of every single country like the manufacturers'. These systems are aftermarket and during the compulsory tests on used cars they are not tested for every single regulation in every country. Usually, in most places the tests for engine noise are superficial, if they exist at all.

I think that pretty much sums it up.  Smiley

--

fritz

If Porsche can find a way to match the sound with the car performance, it would have the perfect sport car. It is like watching a superb dancer dance with no music. You know he/she is good but something is missing which compromises the performance.

--

nberry:

If Porsche can find a way to match the sound with the car performance, it would have the perfect sport car. It is like watching a superb dancer dance with no music. You know he/she is good but something is missing which compromises the performance.

Imagine if the music was there (like some "sound-rich" cars) but the dance was rubbish.

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

Can, you couldn't be more right about what my wife. I mentioned in passing the muted sound of the exhaust and she immediately responded "don't get any ideas about changing the exhaust. As far as I am concerned it is perfect". The matter has been put to bed.Smiley

Nick I knew it! If it's the wife's car, forget about it. :-)

In 997.1 Turbo the problems are with a, volume (mute), and b, quality (whining tone, like a hair dryer).
    In 997.2 Turbo, b is more or less fixed (lower tone with some attractive  "bubbling"), but the volume is still quite mute, in comparison to most other sport cars.

Part of the "problem" is that the sound proofing in the Turbo is excellent, versus F430 for example. But.. here is your fix, with windows down and car kept above 4000 rpm: Google map of Lakewood Blvd. and Spring St. in Long Beach . 405 North, exit Lakewood going North, one tunnel, left on Spring, second tunnel, u turn, third tunnel, right on Lakewood, fourth tunnel, back on freeway 405, as if nothing has happened, except for slight ringing in the ear. Smiley

--

Regards,
    Can

SmileySmileySmiley

redtts1.jpg

redtts2.jpg

redtts3.jpg

maybe ill start new thread when i receive it

Wow, I'm sure this is a awesome combo with the red colour and beige interior with red stitchingSmileySmiley
    Many congrats to your new Turbo S and I think you're the first rennteamer who is owning the new S.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

You probably own the very first turbo S on Rennteam SmileySmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777887 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441963 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262904 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261136 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85387 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5669 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880809 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816334 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM