Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Short impressions of the new Cayenne Turbo Thread Closed

Sorry guys, no extensive driving report since I just don't have the time right now (real life work has priority since it feeds me and the family).

Here we go:

1. at first look, the new Cayenne Turbo remínds me of the Audi Q5, it seems to be smaller than it is, a very interesting optical illusion

2. the rear is not everybody's taste, I heard a lot of good things about the front but even more bad comments about the rear. Apparently it reminds people too much of Audi.

3. the interior is fantastic, everybody seems to love it, it is like a glove, it provides a very intimate and sporty feel, definetely a great design job

4. the interior, both front and rear, seems to be smaller than on my X5 M. It may just be a feeling or an optical illusion but especially in the rear, the X5 M seems to have slightly more room

5. rear trunk looks smaller too compared to the X5 M but again, I didn't see both cars back to back, so it may be an illusion too

6. engine/exhaust sound is very similar to the "old" Cayenne Turbo. Slightly more V8-like (not by much though) than my X5 M and definettely not that loud.

7. Steering feel very similar to X5 M, didn't have the chance to drive the new Cayenne Turbo throug very sharp turns yet though

8. auto tranny shifts smoothly but maybe a tiny little bit slower than on the X5 M, upshifts pretty fast

9. from 0-200 kph, the new Cayenne Turbo and the X5 M are practically head to head. We did several runs, the X5 M was two times maybe half of a car length ahead at slightly over 200 kph but thats it. In the higher speed range over 220 kph though, the X5 M gains a lot of ground. At around 270 kph on the speedo, the X5 M was aprox. two car lengths ahead, which may have to do with the 8 speed tranny on the Cayenne Turbo and the 6 speed tranny on the X5 M. It may also simply have to do with the fact that the X5 M has 55 horses more to push at a speed, where the weight doesn't really count anymore.

10. fuel consumption during these runs was always over 21 l / 100 km on the Cayenne Turbo, pretty close to the X5 M fuel consumption.

Overall conclusion: the Cayenne Turbo is a fantastic SUV but I'm not sure if it is really worth the premium over the X5 M. Especially it's pretty "tame" and "small" look may not be what people in the US and he Middle East markets want from such a SUV. For showing off, the Panamera is surely the better object. The ne Cayenne Turbo reminds me of an interesting but not beautiful woman with a gorgeous body. I'm not sure though that this is the product some markets were waiting for.

The weird part is: it seems that Porsche designed the new Cayenne specifically for the Euro markets to make it look smaller and less aggressive but in the end, this could actually be the new Cayenne's biggest problem for other markets (US, Middle East, Asia).

I wish I had more time to spend with the new Cayenne Turbo, maybe in a couple of weeks.

It is a great SUV, no doubt about it but to be honest: I'm not at all sorried I went for the X5 M but at the same time, I can very well imagine that I would go for the new Turbo S which is rumored to follow sometimes next year.

Make no mistake: the new Cayenne Turbo is really fast and a lot of fun to drive. I just wish the exterior would be slightly more attractive.

cayt1.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: Short impressions of the new Cayenne Turbo Thread Closed

Thanks for the review Christian!  always the first!

--

Awesome Smiley thanks RC

--
    Happy Driving

Great write-up Smiley I can certainly understand your comment about the interior Smiley Looks great. 

Thanks ! It seems to go along with the first impressions. The inside is absolutly fabulous !!

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thanks,saturday i will try to make a test drive me too!

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

The interior is more than fabulous. When you actually sit in front of the steering wheel, you have the feeling of sitting in a sports car, not a SUV. Very unique feel indeed. 

Throttle response: very good but not better than the X5 M (which is very understandable since a better throttle response would make the car difficult to drive). Let me put it this way: compared to my 997 Turbo Mk I with Tiptronic and Sport Chrono active, the throttle response of the new Cayenne Turbo and X5 M is much better. The Cayenne Turbo has no real turbo lag but it also feels less quirky (engine/turbo response) than the X5 M.

Drive feel: probably due to the lower weight, the new Cayenne Turbo feels slightly lighter than the X5 M, especially in sharp turns but surprisingly, the initial steering feel is more direct on the X5 M.

Overall I would call the new Cayenne Turbo a very good evolution of the "old" Cayenne Turbo but not necessarily a spectacular new product. With the exception of the interior of course, which is absolutely amazing for a SUV. 

I talked to a couple of people during the presentation of the new Cayenne and here are some points I overheard:

1. people like (not love) the front, it reminds them of the previous Cayenne generation (nobody actually said that it reminds them of the 911 or the Panamera)

2. people don't like the rear, "too Audi-like", "too japanese", "too weird", I heard them all

3. people were amazed with the interior, definitely the best part on the new Cayenne

4. people were also amazed with the price tag of a well optioned new Turbo...not in a positive way

5. people liked the new "looks smaller" and "more compact" design

6. people seem to expect a much lower fuel consumption (which in my experience isn't really going to happen in real life but a 10-15% lower fuel consumption isn't bad either)

7. people were more interested in the non-Turbo models, I very often heard "who needs to drive that fast in the SUV" argument which I personally can't understand

During the presentation, I was very surprised to see many people who actually can't be interested in this sort of car and I didn't see many Porsche drivers/owners I usually meet at such presentations. I got the feeling that my dealer doesn't really know how to attract the right people for such events, the music was horrible, the food was OK but too "crowd pleasing", attracting many unwanted visitors who actually can't really afford a Porsche.

The whole presentation was more "over 50" oriented, which in my opinion was a huge mistake. Also weird: not many kids were around, considering the fact that the Cayenne is supposed to be the "family Porsche".

My dealer definitely messed up but who am I to judge him for that? I'm no marketing pro.

If you have questions, ask. I may have left out a couple of things I forgot or I wasn't aware of.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC: you would not have driven the Turbo with the BURMESTER option by any chance...?

d997h:

RC: you would not have driven the Turbo with the BURMESTER option by any chance...?

Smiley...very similar to the Panamera Burmester sound but of course I'm no HiFi pro.

I didn't have much time to play around with the Burmester audio settings in the PCM but it sounded pretty impressive and definitely better than the BMW Individual HiFi system on my X5 M (I had a CD from my X5 M with me).

--

drove it on Thursday and liked it a lot,it's much fresher and more "interesting" than the outgoing turbo,feels tight and hadles real well,was going to get the new RR SC but i think i'll go for this now,i'm also of the what's the point in a fast SUV school as i belive that one should go fast in cars that are designed to handle speed-sports cars,but the temptation is too much and it's not the same unless you get the top model..

btw,most people i know who consider/purchase the CT only do that to/from RR SC, that is the market segment,the BMW X6/5 M does not live on that floor....

Just a thought,people who buy the Panamera turbo,do not consider the BMW M5 as an alternative,imo 

I don't want to go into too much detail about the Romanian luxury car market but showing off is a very important thing over there and the RR SC is definitely the better buy for doing that. 

Personally, I would rather drive a Mercedes G55 AMG in Romania but I guess to each his own. 

--

wasn't refering to a particular market(Romania),why would you?

Showing off? have a look at your avatar...

btw i have had 5 G55's (in Romania) and apart from smooth onroad driving the car is useless as SUV and is totally outperformed per tasks by the RR but what do i know? Smiley

I mentioned Romania, dragul meu, because I know it very very well from every possible angle and especially regarding cars. 

I'm showing off with an Avatar? Interesting. Not sure how this works though. So when people have a girl with dancing boobs as an Avatar, they're showing off too?  

The G55 is a great off-roader, you just need to:

1. choose the right tires and more solid rims

2. learn how to properly use the possible 4WD settings

In the off-road world in Europe, the Mercedes G-class and the Toyota Landcruiser are the most beloved cars. Some ARO models weren't that bad either if properly modified and equipped with the right tires.

But what do I know...I've just driven many different sports- and off-roaders on romanian roads at a time when the shoemaker was still ruling.  

--

Hugo, you are definitely wrong on the market segment of the X5/6M.  There are at least half a dozen of us who have bought X5/6M on this forum and each of us could easily have gone the Cayenne Turbo.  Btw, RRS is cheaper in my country than X5M by some 10%.

RR SC would have been MUCH cheaper than my X5 M...just for the book. The base price alone is 20000 EUR less for the RR SC over here in Germany.

--

exactly my point,YOU mentioned Romania,i was talking abouit the new cayenne...why bring it up,like who cares how well you appreciate you know Romania,we were discussing the new cayenne turbo here just to remind you,

as regarding the G55,all the talk about tires and rims selection and 4wd setting is useless due to the 0 ground clearance caused by the exhaust pipes...mind you,its the G55 we are talking about here,not  a modified G diesel,but what do i know...

it is the Range Rover supercharged (full size) i am refering to which is  no where (even germany ) cheaper than the god almighty x5/6 M 

RC:

RR SC would have been MUCH cheaper than my X5 M...just for the book. The base price alone is 20000 EUR less for the RR SC over here in Germany.

in your dreams dude 

RC:

I don't want to go into too much detail about the Romanian luxury car market but showing off is a very important thing over there and the RR SC is definitely the better buy for doing that. 

Personally, I would rather drive a Mercedes G55 AMG in Romania but I guess to each his own. 

"showing off is a very important thing over there" ???

who the f---k are you patronizing ?

that just really qualifies your point of view...

Crash:
    hugo:
    RC:

in your dreams dude 

Land Rover Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged (SC)

Test in sport auto 11/2009

Grundpreis  82.200 Euro

BMW X6 M E71

Supertest in sport auto 11/2009

Grundpreis 108.500 Euro (X5M 105.900 Euro)

I'm pretty sure he isn't the one dreaming...

wake up,duh...have i said the RR Sport?Smiley

hugo:
    RC:

in your dreams dude 

The RR Sport V8 SC costs 82.000 Euro in Germany.

The RR Supercharged costs 110.000.

The X5M costs 106.000 and the X6M costs 109.000.

Not exactly an enormous gap in clientele buying power, if you ask me.

hugo:
    Crash:
    hugo:
    RC:

in your dreams dude 

Land Rover Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged (SC)

Test in sport auto 11/2009

Grundpreis  82.200 Euro

BMW X6 M E71

Supertest in sport auto 11/2009

Grundpreis 108.500 Euro (X5M 105.900 Euro)

I'm pretty sure he isn't the one dreaming...

wake up,duh...have i said the RR Sport?Smiley

Yes, I reread it and modified my post. Still, no discernible difference IMO.

hugo,

your  posts are getting a little bit out of hand. Please avoid confrontative posts like the above. You are talking to some of the most important people here at Rennteam. It is not acceptable to insult them. If you don't agree with their posts just mention that this and that statement may hurt certain feelings and I am sure they will understand. But no insults please Smiley

MKSGR:

hugo,

your  posts are getting a little bit out of hand. Please avoid confrontative posts like the above. You are talking to some of the most important people here at Rennteam. It is not acceptable to insult them. If you don't agree with their posts just mention that this and that statement may hurt certain feelings and I am sure they will understand. But no insults please Smiley

Are you for real? FYI  we are ALL important,insults are unaccptable, same goes for patronizing and discrimination regardless of how important here on Rennteam you might consider X or Y,hurt feelings?none here Smiley

hugo is right !!   RC should re-adjust his words and attitude .

Misha011:

hugo is right !!   RC should re-adjust his words and attitude .

I won't re-adjust anything but I could use a simple action on you. 

I lived for seven years in Romania and I know this country very well from any possible angle, starting with people, culture, diplomatic world, police, security services, politics and...car "society".  I even speak and write Romanian almost fluently. My "attitude" is based on facts, not on something I saw on TV. Most Romanians are intelligent and highly educated people who know exactly how their country and society "works" and nobody would actually be ashamed of it. With a couple of exceptions I guess. Smiley We even have some high caliber members from Romania on Rennteam.

I actually wonder why you get involved in this ? 

hugo started the "tone", I just adapted. Claiming that the G55 is a bad off-roader was funny enough but claiming this started actually my reaction.

btw,most people i know who consider/purchase the CT only do that to/from RR SC, that is the market segment,the BMW X6/5 M does not live on that floor....

I won't even start to tell him what kind of people drive Range Rovers over here, I guess this is the opposite Jeremy Clarke thinks about BMW.  Smiley I know a bunch of people who sold their Cayenne for the RR Supercharged or even the V8 TDi, they prefer nice smelling leather instead of performance.

hugo used the words Range Rover SC, so it could have been the RR Sport Supercharged or the RR Supercharged. I'm sorry I misunderstood this but it wasn't quite clear from the start.

The Range Rover is made by Landrover, so I don't get the point.

While the Range Rover Supercharged may be equally priced on paper, you get an ever bigger rebate for it over here than for the X5 M but what actually counts more: the Range Rover Supercharged is heavier, less sporty and performance is really bad for such a powerful car. Which left me with the conclusion that whoever buys it, especially in Romania, wants also to portray some exclusivity with it. While the Range Rover Supercharged may be better off-road than for example the X5 M, it is definitely not the car I would want to drive in Romania with.

It doesn't actually matter: this is an international forum, we are many people from different countries. I brought up Romania because it was in hugo's signature and because I know Romania very well. If you feel offended by the truth, I'm sorry. Most of us are open minded people and if you tell me that our foreign minister is an idiot, that german movies stink and that you don't like Sauerkraut, I couldn't agree more. Look at the discussions with our American friends in the Off-Topic forums, open minded international people talk open.

If you can't take the heat, don't start the fire.

A last word to Misha001: when you start paying the bills for Rennteam, you can start taking a leak on my leg like we have a saying over here in Germany. Til then...well...  Cheers.

--

hugo:

Are you for real? FYI  we are ALL important,insults are unaccptable, same goes for patronizing and discrimination regardless of how important here on Rennteam you might consider X or Y,hurt feelings?none here Smiley

Discrimination ? Really ? Wow...this is a first. You started the fire and now you can't take the heat ? Btw: do you by any chance know who this woman on this photo is ? I don't remember her name. Smiley Smiley I told you...I know Romania very well. 

Shalom... Smiley

022.jpg

--

since you seem to be lacking in reading comprehansion i will explain to you that i consider all of us to be important in equal measure and not only some members as was expressed earlier - there's your discrimination issue explained.

I have started no fire and feel no heat,you seem to be the one that can't stick to the issue and keep bringing other stuff as replies,what my family has to do with any of this?Smileybtw IN the photo,not ON the photo....

You are a total FAIL as a forum administrator,try to control yourself and get a life instead of posting other men's wife's pics

I just wanted to make a point...apparently you didn't get it. Driving in a Rolls Royce Cab through dusty Bucharest apparently clogged your judgement. 

You want me to stick to the issue, I did: in Romania, showing off is part of the "game" but you seem to feel offended by it. I wonder why ? You have a beautiful wife, an adorable daughter, a nice car collection and hopefully a good job (which hasn't been too kind to you lately I guess), so why so touchy ? I don't get it. 

I don't consider myself important at all, I have a real life job and Rennteam is nothing more than a hobby which costs money. Wanna be equal ? Start paying our bills. 

Just kidding: I'm not mad at you at all, we have a passionate discussion, even if I don't understand why you would feel offended by what I said about life in Romania. I'm fully aware of the fact that a X5 M wouldn't sell too well in Romania and I also mentioned the reason why. For Germany, keeping a low profile is mandatory. If I would drive around in a Rolls Royce Cab over here, people would call me a pimp at my age (45) or just leave some nice marks on the car. In Hamburg, it seems to be some national sport already to put fire on luxury cars.

So just let's smoke the peace pipe, getting back to cars and less to emotions.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776824 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441566 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260845 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85122 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880562 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815716 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM