Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: An audiophile CD that will blow the doors off of your Bose equipped 997.

You guys who are HiFi junkies may be able to answer this one ...

I keep the rear seats up. Why? Because the BOSE outlets on the rear parcel shelf are subwoofer outlets. They aren't AFAIK supposed to need to be uncovered in order to work right.

BUT should I be doing this differently? I am used to the rear seats being up rather than flat ...

Thanks in advance for any advice

-- 

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

you're fine with keeping the backrests up.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Thanks - that's what I thought - because they are subwoofers. If they were tweeters etc, it would make a difference.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

@intouch.... your sound system is sick

Jay:

Back to cars so I don't go all OT! -> like with everything Porsche it comes down to an option box that one ticks - i wonder how many of us would tick box like "upgrade sound to audiophile quality" (or would that lead to disappointment!)

Hi Jay, if you haven't yet, take a listen to the Burmester in the Panamera (ribbon tweeter!!) Porsche Panamera Burmester. Utterly sensational in every sense of the word: Pin point imaging, 3d soundstage properly laid out on dashboard and seemingly extend beyond wind shield. When I auditioned with my girl at the volcano Smiley the system sounds bright but this might be because someone might have messed up the settings. I didn't have time, or instruction manual, to track down the audio settings.

There is no questiion I would tick this box (pending second audition) -- it's exceedingly inexpensive considering what a home Burmester is like.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Jay:

I found a good one to play on my bose in my car.  It's 5 cds at a good price. 

Original Album Series (Girl At Her Volcano/Naked Songs/Pirates/Rickie Lee Jones/The Magazine)

Original Album Series (Girl At Her Volcano/Naked Songs/Pirates/Rickie Lee Jones/The Magazine)

Cool. Smiley
    Be careful about the Girl at Her Volcano :-) though. Rhino is a very good label with audiophile sensibility, but there is no guarantee they have used the same master as the Japanese version of the disc. You might want to get  the Amazon Japanese version for peace of mind.

Anyone on the fence about this disc: I guarantee Smiley you won't regret it. It's one of my few "most favorite" demo discs for the last 15 years and a well known audiophile standard. I know it's expensive but get it in case it becomes out of print!

Very nice to see the many audiophiles here!
    --

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

cannga:   Very nice to see the many audiophiles here!

I have Burmester in my Panamera Turbo.  Does that make me an audiophile?

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow + 2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray +1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau +2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

W8MM:

Well, that depends on what you have at home. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    W8MM:

Well, that depends on what you have at home. Smiley

Does owning a Porsche makes one a car enthusiast? Does not owning a sport car make one not a car enthusiast? Is it mental, or is it material? Mike gave away the answer, perhaps deliberately, the way he asked the question.
    But you're absolutely right -- certain things at home, like a tube pre-amp, is dead giveaway that there is unchecked craziness abound. Smiley

--

Regards,
    Can

cannga:

But you're absolutely right -- certain things at home, like a tube pre-amp, is dead giveaway that there is unchecked craziness abound. Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    cannga:

SmileySmileySmiley

What if the tube gear needs a "B battery" to operate?

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow + 2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray +1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau +2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

W8MM:
    Rossi:
    cannga:

SmileySmileySmiley

What if the tube gear needs a "B battery" to operate?

Seasoned hobbyist, or serious audiophile? Or both?

--

Regards,
    Can

cannga:

Neither.

It means I'm old enough to remember audio gear made before the transistor was invented.

--

Mike

W8MM:
    cannga:

Neither.

It means I'm old enough to remember audio gear made before the transistor was invented.

Got it. I saw a referral to "vintage" in Wikepedia but didn't want to assume any connection to age as I don't know tube design and thought this method might still be in use (the Nagra PL-P is a modern pre-amp that uses battery).
    >>>>>>>>>
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(vacuum_tube) 
    In the early days of electronics, vacuum tube devices (such as radios) were powered by batteries. Each battery had a different designation depending on which vacuum tube element it was associated with.
    Initially, the only such device was a diode with only a filament (cathode) and a plate (anode). Following the direction of electron flow, these electrodes were identified as "A" and "B", respectively and thus the associated batteries were referred to as the "A" battery and "B" battery, respectively.
    >>>>>>>>>

BTW, I took a test drive in the Tesla Roadster when the company brought it to our LA Porsche club meeting, and fell in love with it. It has FANTASTIC steering: direct and razor sharp, as if there is a straight connection to the brain. Acceleration was outstanding, at least up to about 90 mph or so. And boy did it hug corners. If I have the funding, I would not mind having one at all. It is so much fun.
    (Aftter a few test drives that day, the car shut because for some overload alarm. The Tesla guys looked into the data log then started going around asking "which one of you took this car to such and such speed, and did so and so," etc.  I gave my best "who-me?" act. Smiley)

--

Regards,
    Can

cannga:

You might want to get  the Amazon Japanese version for peace of mind.

Anyone on the fence about this disc: I guarantee Smiley you won't regret it. It's one of my few "most favorite" demo discs for the last 15 years and a well known audiophile standard. I know it's expensive but get it in case it becomes out of print!

Very nice to see the many audiophiles here!

I have  ordered it ! Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I have  ordered it ! Smiley

I have, too!

Thanks, cannga Smiley

--

Mike

Gnil & Mike, enjoy. Under the Board Walk had better be good or there goes my nascent music review career.  Of the other tracks, I also like Walk Away Renee very much. Not a bombastic audiophile demo, just hauntingly sweet music.

Mike, Rickie is gonna be on the Panamera's front hood singing for you. That's how beautiful and realistic the stereo imaging of the Burmester system is.

--

Regards,
    Can

thanks for the recommendation (Rickie Lee Jones)

sounds great on my systemSmiley 

--

'06 997S X-51 Atlas Grey

I got mine too ... and jsut found out today she's got a concert in the Opera House .... searching for that now too!!!

lovely.

not yet listened to her in the car yet ...

--

I received mine today....will listen to it a bit later

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Sounds great on the Burmester 

--

Mike

W8MM:

Sounds great on the Burmester 

Yep, close your eyes and Rickie will be right there winking at you from the Panamera's front hood!
    In my Turbo, she sings from behind my back. Very strange, a result of inferior Bose engineering, but that has never stopped me from cranking the volume to "11." :-)

Glad some of us have bought the cd. For anyone interested, I have a few more to recommend. (If you think I am nutty about cars, consider me "off the chart" crazy when it comes to audio. Smiley)

I have several demo cd's but will only post the very best here. Up next, another singer songwriter by the name of Janis Ian. The disc is of the highest audiophile pedigree, actually even better recorded than Girl at Her Volcano, and was introduced to me by a speaker designer. The music will be equally finger snapping good; promise.

--

Regards,
    Can

cannga:

For anyone interested, I have a few more to recommend.

Please go ahead... Smiley

Ferdie:
    cannga:

For anyone interested, I have a few more to recommend.

Please go ahead... Smiley

Keep them coming.

Take a roadtrip to Vegas.  These all sound great on my home system.Smiley

--

'06 997S X-51 Atlas Grey

Janis Ian had a big hit, At Seventeen, when I first came to America. Sometimes, one associates a song with a certain memory, and At Seventeen always reminds me of the Pennsylvania refugee camp (not what you think, not the Ritz Carlton but not bad either, I actually gained weight and grew :-)) we lived in that summer. After that hit, Ian then sort of disappeared from the scene. The next disc, Breaking Silence, is her comeback attempt around 1993. I first heard it at the house of a professional speaker designer (like going car shopping with Chris Harris). It has since become a well known, gold standard demo cd among US audiophiles, for both the great music, and the absolutely stunning sonics.

It is an all out, no holds barred, audiophile recording, from start to end. Rare, expensive, and gold standard equipments were used every step of the way. Famed Telefunken U47 tube mic was used for Ian's voice, then tube mic preamp, then 30 ips Ampex tape. The mastering engineer was Doug Sax (Sheffield). To give the "normal" non-audiophile people on this forum some perspective: In automotive terms, this would be the equivalence of having Mezger and Rohrl tuned my Turbo.

I'll let the quality of the song writing speaks for itself. Sonically, this will be among the most realistic recording you will ever hear. The band will sound like it's in the room with you, Janis's will be whispering in your ears. Details of Ian's voice are astounding & you'll hear every one of her breaths and intonations. Bass is tight and so powerful that before I ran 20 amp dedicated lines to my Krell FPB 600 amp, lights in my house used to flicker with every drum whacks of the last track, Breaking Silence.

Unfortunately the disc is out of print, so you'll have to buy it on ebay or Amazon. There are some new copies that should go for 20-30 (expected price gouging), with used copies going for much less. BTW, used cd's (and books) from Amazon are safe -- just always look for sellers who have sold hundreds or thousand plus items, and with rating of 95% plus. Trust me, this will be the best $5 you will ever spend for audio.

Janis Ian.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

yes yes!  keep them the recommendations coming!

any one out there going to the Munich Hi End show??

since all the audiophiles are coming out....

me also a Wilson user, tho only Sophia II.    am looking to upgrade tho.

shortlist are:

Marten Coltrane Soprano

Magico V3

Rockport Mira Grand

Kharma Exquisite Mini

the sad thing is, being in Australia.  I cant have a home audition at all... might hv to go overseas and listen to them. tho different rooms and equipment means it near impossible to do any serious listening.

maybe just let my wife decide which one looks the best in my house! 

many comments/experience of the above speakers and equipment matching??

go for the sophia 3.will be released in june....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Placed order today.

--

'06 997S X-51 Atlas Grey

Hollli82, what speakers did u have before and why did u choose Sophia 3??

Sophia 3 sounds promising, again it would be the Wilson to have, unless I can afford Maxx 3.

surprised they didnt increase price (like the sahsa). I guess Wilson faces a lot more competition now, and I am a bit p**ed off they have new models out all the time!!

Sasha seems obsolete unless u have decent size and acooustically treated room.

but having owned Sophia 2 for 4 yrs, its time for something different. 

any one want a second hand pair Smiley?

rest assured, that the sasha will still remain quite a bit better than the sophia 3. a look at frequncy response should suffice.

that would be just as saying, that the sasha would make the maxx 3 obsolete....

i own sasha's and maxx3 are a few days away from arriving at my doorstep.....already horrified at the idea of uncrating....

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777956 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441983 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262919 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261156 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85405 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5681 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880830 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816374 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM