Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren MP4-12C supercar: official press release...

I actually think it looks great in these pictures! I can't wait to see it in grey or black, never was a fan of the orange.

Stefan, I understand that you do not like MP4-12C. Different people, different taste.

Just... Is it really for you that bad looking?

reginos:
    Rossi:

Can't help myself, but in these pics and particularly in this colour the car doesn't look good.

The car doesn't look, full stop! It lacks good proportions which for many people is the essence of beauty.

McLaren's decision to put all the radiators at the back spoiled the design. I don't know if there was a significant technical merit in choosing this configuration. I don't know also why someone would choose this car over a Ferrari.  McLaren are a big name in F1 but their road car business amounts to 2 1/2 cars in 30 years.

Huh! Huh!

Remember your original opinion about Audi R8 design? R8 is considered to become a design icon by many people...

You hate Mclaren MP4-12C design but, you think that Panamera is a good design? OK, I guess...

My friend from Italy who already own 458 likes Mclaren MP4-12C even more then me and is keen to get one. He is blind I guess? BTW, he works for famous Italian Fashion brand from Milano's Golden Triangle...

And technically MP4-12C is above ALL competitors. Mclaren is using 458 Italia as current benchmark and MP4-12C is even in current VP(validation prototyp) examples faster on all test track that Mclaren is using(Ring included-for your info that white one achieved faster time then CGT, with standard tires!)...

Two more pics from the Ring...

KresoF1:
    reginos:
    Rossi:

Can't help myself, but in these pics and particularly in this colour the car doesn't look good.

The car doesn't look, full stop! It lacks good proportions which for many people is the essence of beauty.

McLaren's decision to put all the radiators at the back spoiled the design. I don't know if there was a significant technical merit in choosing this configuration. I don't know also why someone would choose this car over a Ferrari.  McLaren are a big name in F1 but their road car business amounts to 2 1/2 cars in 30 years.

Huh! Huh!

Remember your original opinion about Audi R8 design? R8 is considered to become a design icon by many people...

You hate Mclaren MP4-12C design but, you think that Panamera is a good design? OK, I guess...

My friend from Italy who already own 458 likes Mclaren MP4-12C even more then me and is keen to get one. He is blind I guess? BTW, he works for famous Italian Fashion brand from Milano's Golden Triangle...

And technically MP4-12C is above ALL competitors. Mclaren is using 458 Italia as current benchmark and MP4-12C is even in current VP(validation prototyp) examples faster on all test track that Mclaren is using(Ring included-for your info that white one achieved faster time then CGT, with standard tires!)...

Kreso, in matters of taste there is no quarrel. We all like different shapes, different sounds and different flavours. Nothing bad or unusual in it. No one is right or wrong either.

The MP4-12C for me, is not a special shape to rival a Ferrari. It's not bad looking per se but it doesn't have that unique star quality visually bearing in mind that it is the only model from a special manufacturer. If it was Toyota's showcase car or a Lotus, it might have been great.

The Panamera is just a fast limousine with good handling rivaling mainstream cars, no relevance in this context. Why you mentioned it I don't understand.

As regards the technology, I have no doubt that it will be cutting edge and the performance will be like you say.

--

"Form follows function"

McLaren MP4-12C road testing in Barcelona...

Smiley

Both Ferrari and Mac don´t look good to me.Too many computerized design for my taste.

Technically both are brilliant in their own way,only Mac don´t have that unique aura of Ferrari.Difficult choice.

If they cahnge the two air inlets on the side and make it only one , it would look already better . ( but maybe needed for proper ventilation )

Can someone photoshop those air intakes and make it into one?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

If they cahnge the two air inlets on the side and make it only one , it would look already better . ( but maybe needed for proper ventilation )

If the MP4-12C only had a single side intake, it could end up looking similar to an Ascari...

Ascari-KZ1-orange-01.jpg

Smiley

I'm waiting for Pentium to get here and start posting  

KresoF1:
    reginos:
    Rossi:

How is that even relevant in any way... ? Smiley

I personally like the MP4-12C very much. And I still think that the Audi R8 looks unbalanced.

To each his own. Smiley

Point is different people-different taste. Relevant in way that even Italian who works for Italian fashion brand can like British sportscar more then Ferrari. Just... You did not understand that... Maybe problem is the fact that English is my third language

Sorry for the intrusion,I have no intention of having a "war" with you but KresoF1 for that i checked Italians still have right to their own opinions,they are not obligated to like Ferrari design more than others simple because they are Italians.

Leblanc:

Italians still have right to their own opinions,they are not obligated to like Ferrari design more than others simple because they are Italians.

Huh? I always thought this was article one of the Italian Constitution? SmileySmiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Gnil:

IMO there are three very important design options, you have to choose with this car:

1) side vanes in carbon fibre: make these silly looking side intakes look less silly Smiley
    2) stealth package: make this silly looking exhaust vanish Smiley
    3) front splitter in body colour: give that silly looking front a whole new design Smiley

If you choose all three, especially with colours different to black or dark grey, the looks of the car will improve.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Gnil:

IMO there are three very important design options, you have to choose with this car:

1) side vanes in carbon fibre: make these silly looking side intakes look less silly Smiley
    2) stealth package: make this silly looking exhaust vanish Smiley
    3) front splitter in body colour: give that silly looking front a whole new design Smiley

If you choose all three, especially with colours different to black or dark grey, the looks of the car will improve.

This will get rid of all the cars silliness. Smiley

I have been contacted by McLaren, today.  They will announce the dealer network soon and you will be able to spec MP4-12C through the nearest dealer.  

I can't wait.  

I personally think the MP4-12C will be a fantastic drivers car. I had specced mine out on their website already but from the looks of it there wil not be any dealers in Scandinavia, which is not surprising given the potential market I know (but you can order it with an extra set of winter tyres... ).

Got this by mail on friday:

Dear Klas ,

Today, we are delighted to announce the city locations of our global retail network.

We are in the final stages of appointing our retail partners and expect to confirm the names of the majority of these partners in the coming weeks.  However, we can confirm we will be represented by many of the world’s best automotive retailers in the following cities and markets:

·         Europe: Birmingham, London, Manchester; Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich; Brussels; Monaco, Paris; Milan; Barcelona/Madrid; Zurich

·         North America: Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Orange County, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Tampa; Toronto

·         Middle-East / South Africa: Manama; Doha; Jeddah, Riyadh; Dubai, Abu Dhabi; Kuwait; Johannesburg

·         Asia-Pacific: Hong Kong; Singapore; Sydney; Tokyo

We look forward to informing you when further details of our retail partners are confirmed.

Kindest regards,

Client Services

McLaren Automotive

Original plan was much bigger dealer base. My friend even visited McLaren HQ and was in deep negotiations with Mclaren when they gave him an offer for 2012 start-for a showroom/service department in Zagreb that will cover Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia and Hercegovina, Serbia and Monte Negro. He was shocked since he already made some serious preparations. Currently his state of mind is to step away from deal with McLaren.

BTW, I received the same email-so, McLaren is expected that me for example will purchase the car in Munich and once a year drive the car to Munich for service check? Hmm... I do not think so.

For me Hamburg would be the closest but it is still probably 800-900 km one way. Can't really put some 50% of a years mileage on going back and forth to the service center...

I wont jump to any conclusion or even worst decline from purchasing MP4-12C. McLaren mentioned that they will offer excellent service and after sale care-let's wait and see.

Only thing that I am supriesed is the fact that someone at McLaren thinks that money exist only in "old" markets. IMHO they will cover all "old" markets needs in first six months of MP4-12C sale. These days money is elsewhere...

flatbed trucks and min. wage     (and a good insurance policy) 

I have the same concern as you guys.  Granted Australia is a small market but I am not prepared to buy a car whose dealer is 1000km away.  If Rolls Royce can be in both Melbourne and Sydney, why can't McLaren?  I suspect this is only until they release the cheaper model (volume).  Once that happens, I suspect we will be seeing dealerships in the same places that a brand like Rolls Royce has.

I´m sure this car will be one of the best on the road, but it lacks what a proper exoctic super car must have...drama. The lines are plain boring. It looks more dated than a six year old Gallardo, which by the way looks much better.

J.Seven

I'm also disappointed to see that my city is not included in the initial launch.  For a car like this, a proper service center is a must.  I do not want to have any part failure while I'm pulling 1g in the corners or doing top speed on the motorway.  

I'm also afraid that it is a different story when compared to Rolls Royce.  They had an existing BMW dealer network to pull resources from and McLaren can take much longer to build similar dealer networks in the world.  I'll wait and see what happens but I'm looking for an alternative way to spend my GBP 180,000 for the moment,.  

Kreso is 100% correct. And no close service for such cars is a pain in the ass.Smiley

I know. Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

That was the advantage of the tie-up with Mercedes. Accessible service, but unfortunately the car wasn't that good.

--

"Form follows function"

McLaren MP4-12C world public debut at Goodwood announced...

• Three of the UK’s best car retailers to represent McLaren Automotive
    • Rybrook Holdings Ltd, Jardine Motors Group and Sytner Group to represent McLaren Automotive in Birmingham, London and Manchester respectively
    • Global public debut for new MP4-12C at Goodwood Festival of Speed in July
    • Over 2,500 expressions of interest in buying the 12C already registered; huge interest from UK car enthusiasts

WOKING, UK (15 June 2010) – McLaren Automotive, the world’s newest sports car company, today announces the partners in its UK retail network: Rybrook in Birmingham, Jardine Motors Group in London, and Sytner in Manchester.

These three outstanding and experienced automotive retailers will begin selling the McLaren MP4-12C from spring 2011 under the names McLaren Birmingham, McLaren London and McLaren Manchester. The UK, along with the USA, will be McLaren’s biggest market, and initial interest in the UK for the 12C already exceeds the first year’s allocation. A full model range of high-performance, two-seat, mid-engine McLaren sports cars will be completed by the middle of the decade.

Antony Sheriff, McLaren Automotive’s Managing Director: “I am thrilled to announce the relationship between McLaren Automotive and its UK representatives - three of the best car retail businesses in the world. The UK is our home, and the strong demand for the 12C from potential retailers and prospects is evidence of the strength of the McLaren brand in the UK.

“British car enthusiasts are demanding; they enjoy and appreciate performance cars, and traditionally buy what’s best – not necessarily what’s British. Competing in this market will, therefore, be a major challenge for us as a new sports car company, but McLaren’s brand and experience stand us in good stead: the McLaren F1 and SLR projects were perfect benchmarks that provide us with the expertise, commitment and confidence to design, develop and build the world’s best performing and highest quality sports cars. We now have the ideal partners in the UK who have enormous experience in delivering extraordinary customer service to help us deliver on those expectations,” Sheriff concluded.

The UK retailers will join a global network of 35 partners in 2011 who will be responsible for selling a planned production volume of 1,000 12Cs. The European network will also be announced in June, with the North American, Middle Eastern and South African retailers confirmed this summer. The Asia Pacific market will be announced in the autumn, and a handful of retailers will then be added in select mature and emerging markets from 2012 as McLaren moves to a full model range of around 4,000 sports cars by the middle of the decade. McLaren Automotive’s aim is for its global network to remain smaller, more flexible, and more profitable than competitors’ networks, with a target of around 70 retailers worldwide.

Christian Marti, McLaren Automotive’s Regional Director for Europe, said: “We began our comprehensive search for the best retailers over a year ago. There was understandably strong competition to represent McLaren in the UK. As we have seen in all launch markets, the demand to be one of the first McLaren retailers was huge –we considered over 20 UK car retailers within a total of 600 potential global partners.

“During the selection process we shared our long-term business plan, innovative product line-up, and focus on what is best for the retailer – sensible investment and attention to customer service and aftersales. We have a phrase at McLaren that sums up our attitude towards the retail business: “sanity, not vanity”, and we will work very closely with Rybrook, Jardine Motors Group and Sytner to deliver great solutions for our future customers,” Marti concluded.

McLaren focus fits retailers’ future plans

McLaren Automotive aims to deliver the 12C through retailers who understand and appreciate the company’s desire to offer cars and customer service of a higher quality than previously experienced in the performance sports car market. McLaren’s strong brand and heritage, its reputation amongst performance car owners, and future plans for a range of high-performance sports cars proved highly attractive to the three successful retailers.

Henry Whale, Managing Director at Rybrook, McLaren’s franchise in Birmingham said: “With their incredible passion and total professionalism, McLaren has already established a world-beating brand through its Formula 1 activity.  We are confident it will replicate this success as it launches its eagerly awaited sports car company, and that the 12C will redefine the sports car driving experience. We are delighted to be representing McLaren at the launch of this exciting project and we believe this appointment further enhances Rybrook’s position as a leading retailer of prestige motor cars in the UK.”

Simon Everett, Group Operations Director for Jardine Motors Group, McLaren’s representative in London, said: “Jardine Motors Group is ideally placed to support McLaren’s new sports car company. We are one of the UK’s leading motor groups and operating predominantly in the premium and high luxury sector – a natural champion of McLaren’s passion, skill, and experience. Representing McLaren in its very important home market in London is a great opportunity for the group and we are looking forward to working with them to establish this exciting new brand through a unique business model that delivers the highest levels of customer service.”

Jon Crossley, Sytner's Managing Director for its McLaren franchise in Manchester said, "Our enthusiasm for prestige motor cars is coupled with a great passion for motor racing and particularly Formula 1.  This announcement is terrific news for my team who have a great understanding of, and appreciation for, the supercar market.  They are very excited by the new McLaren’s close relationship to motor racing technology and its world-leading carbon innovation. We are really looking forward to introducing the new McLaren to our customer base and being a part of a very exciting future with such a prestigious brand."

McLaren on-tour round the world: Festival of Speed takes centre-stage

McLaren fans and car enthusiasts alike will be the first to see the 12C as it makes its public world debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed (July 1, 2, 3, 4). This follows a series of private viewings to prospects in Düsseldorf, Brussels, and Zurich in June, and immediately prior to similar events planned for UK McLaren retailers and prospects at the company’s award-winning MTC headquarters in Woking, Surrey.

Following the 12C’s Goodwood debut it will continue its world tour, being presented to select audiences, and taking in every city in which the car will be sold, from Sydney to San Francisco. Further public presentations will provide a wider audience with the opportunity to see McLaren Automotive’s innovative new sports car, such as the Pebble Beach Concours in California in August. This will provide potential customers with the opportunity to experience the quality, design and unique packaging that will allow the 12C to challenge the world’s most famous sports car brands.

Carbon and Formula 1 at the heart of 12C

Taking on the world’s best premium performance cars, the 12C will be lighter, more powerful, more fuel efficient and more exclusive than its key competition. It will achieve its performance benchmarks by introducing a unique, McLaren-developed carbon MonoCell chassis into the ‘core’ sports car segment in a production process that introduces technical innovation and new levels of quality to the market.

All McLarens will be based on this Formula 1-inspired carbon structure; since the 1981 Formula 1 MP4/1 racing car, McLaren has only ever constructed its racing or road cars around carbon fibre chassis.

Key to McLaren’s aspirations has been the integration of Formula 1 with the road car project. Through simulation, the flow of processes and principles between McLaren’s road car and racing car engineers, and the employment of a number of Formula 1 experts on the road car team, the 12C has been designed, developed, and engineered to the same standards, expectations and speed of thought as the company approaches its Formula 1 projects. McLaren Automotive and McLaren Racing are just metres apart under the same roof at the McLaren Technology Centre (MTC), and have combined to deliver a sports car designed for aerodynamic performance, just as in Formula 1.

New factory and global plans

A brand-new manufacturing facility, the McLaren Production Centre (MPC), began construction on March 1 2010 adjacent to the MTC. It will begin to build cars for the UK from spring 2011.

The very first UK customers will have their cars built in the first months of 2011 in the MTC, prior to the opening of the MPC. This planned manufacturing programme will ensure the same unprecedented quality that McLaren delivered on the SLR is transferred onto all future McLarens.

Of the 19 countries, and 35 retailers, launching McLaren Automotive, the UK, USA, and Germany will be the company’s biggest markets for the 1,000 12Cs planned for production in 2011. Between 300 and 400 cars are planned for North America, 400 to 500 for Europe (70 per cent to UK and Germany), and 100 to 200 each for the Middle East/South Africa and Asia Pacific regions.

Following the March 2010 McLaren Automotive press conference, The Launch of a New Car Company, over 2,500 potential customers have now expressed a ‘serious intention to buy’ the 12C. The first 12Cs will be delivered to customers in Europe, followed by a phased distribution to retailers in the Middle East, South Africa, North America and Asia Pacific.

Prices for the 12C will be confirmed at a later date, but the car will sit in what McLaren terms the ‘core’ sports car segment of cars priced between £125,000 and £175,000.

Notes to editors:

McLaren’s 2011 global retail network: Mclaren Automotive will be represented in the following 35 cities and markets:

• Europe: UK (Birmingham, London, Manchester); Germany (Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Stuttgart or Munich); Belgium (Brussels); France (Monaco, Paris); Italy (Milan); Spain (Madrid or Barcelona), Switzerland (Zürich)
    • North America: Canada (Toronto); USA (Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Orange County, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Tampa)
    • Middle East / South Africa: UAE (Abu Dhabi, Dubai); Qatar; Saudi Arabia (Jeddah, Riyadh); Kuwait; Bahrain; South Africa (Johannesburg)
    • Asia Pacific: Hong Kong; Singapore; Sydney; Tokyo

Antony Sheriff biography: Graduated from Swarthmore College in the U.S. with a B.S. in Engineering and a B.A. in Economics. After working for Chrysler, Antony completed a M.S. in Management from M.I.T in 1988 while working for the International Motor Vehicle Programme at M.I.T.. Upon graduation, Antony joined McKinsey and Company as a strategic management consultant, working with a number of automotive and non-automotive clients in the U.S. and Europe. In 1995, Antony joined Fiat Auto in Italy and in 1997 was promoted to Executive Director of Product Development for all Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lancia cars and commercial vehicles. In 2002, Antony was promoted to Vice President Marketing for Fiat. Antony joined McLaren Automotive in 2003 as Managing Director. Antony’s responsibilities encompass the design, development and manufacture and distribution of current and future road cars.

Christian Marti biography: Studied Management Engineering and gained an MBA in International Business Management. Christian began his career in the automotive industry as a Product Manager at BMW in 1993, moving to Renault to become Product Director in 1999.  In 2002, Christian left Renault to deliver the merger of Jaguar & Land Rover Austria.  Over the next six years Christian held a number of Managing Director positions at Jaguar Land Rover, including recruiting and establishing a team and office in China.  In 2008, he became the first CEO of Porsche Cars Canada before joining McLaren Automotive as Head of Europe in 2009.

- End -

Service has always been an issue with McLaren. This is why I have not and would never consider buying one. This car will require special equipment and specially trained mechanics. I doubt any of these retailers will want to spend the money for the few cars they will sell. 

I believe Jay Leno had to send his McLaren to England for servicing.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776907 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441599 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262721 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260869 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85142 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5529 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880585 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815752 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM