Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Rennteam's tribute to the Ferrari 458...lots of photos, videos, etc.

KresoF1:
    ISUK:

Short test drives can make some cars appear disappointing as it can often take more use to become accustomed to them, especially if you are used to performance car driving.

What aspects of the car didn't impress you Kreso?

Huh... First, I expected apparently little bit too much from 458 since I liked the car so much.

Design... Unlike on pics car look in person not so good IMHO. I totally hate too high rear tires side walls(295/35-20 strange, strange size). Also, rear wheels are too narrow(only 10.5", most competitors use 11" at least on 305 tires). I can not imagine front licence plate holder that will look good. That's it.

Interior... Too small for car size and definitely smaller then F430. Driving position and seats are better in both Audi R8 and 997.2 Turbo. Indicators on steering wheel is plain wrong idea.

Performance and engine... Throttle response too keen for parking speed and slow smooth driving-I can live with that, more adjustment from driver is needed. Good low end torque although I think that car feels less powerfull in low end then R8 V10 for example that has not as much torque on paper. 458 engine remainds me in power delivery to R8 V8 engine with more power. Too feel that 570hp you need to rev it very hard. Engine sound is nice but, not as refined as I hoped. Now, what I will wrote will get big response from die hard F fans(NOT from actual owners since many of them knows the truth)-458 is slower in 100km/h-240km/h then 997.2 Turbo PDK Coupe. I was shocked with that. Owner of that 458 also. He pushed as much as possible and Turbo PDK is faster.

DCT... Very good. I think that DCT is actually almost as good as it gets. Better then PDK in 997.2 Turbo? NO. Why? PDK D programms are way better. There is even some small jerkiness in fastests setting.

Rest of the thing like drive dynamics are great but, I doubt very much that 458 can leave 997.2 Turbo PDK even on short track. My point is that after driving R8 V8 and 997.2 Turbo PDK  I expected much, much more from 458. Dissapointed? NO, not at all. It is a masterpiece. Just, I am not blowen away.

Car that I drove is with 4800kms on clock and is in Rosso Corsa with Nero interior and optional sport wheels. I will ask the owner to give me the clearance to post some pics that I took.

So the 458s 0 - 200km/h in 10.4s is nothing but pure bullshit ?  Smiley

--

http://i28.tinypic.com/166k5zo.png

NO. For 0-200km/h you will use LC. For 100km/h-240km/h on the autobahn you need torque and then power...

KresoF1:

NO. For 0-200km/h you will use LC. For 100km/h-240km/h on the autobahn you need torque and then power...

traction??? 

no in real world there isnt BETTER LC than the PORSCHE PDK LC....

and 2nd, dont forget turbo is 4x4, until 60km/h the turbo will put much power to ground....

dhayek:
    ISUK:

The high sidewalls on the rear tyres do look a bit strange at first but you become familiar with them after a little while and they don't look so unusual.

I think I've posted before that the cabin feels smaller than a 430. The front trunk is also smaller so I'm at a loss why this should be on a car that is actually slightly longer and higher than a 430 according to the dimensions in the brochure Part of the issue is down to the teardrop shape of the roof which starts to drop down qucker over the cabin than it did with the 430. This results in the roofline being lower above the rear of both doors which makes entry and exit more difficult for taller drivers.

Did the car you drive have standard seats? I found the race seat option gives greater room in the cabin and also seems to be much more comfortable.

I'd heard that the throttle is quite sharp in terms of response. My dealer said it takes a little getting used to but can be driven smoothly. I think he said it alters slightly with the manetinno setting but I may be mistaken.

The performance issue against the Gen2 turbo doesn't surprise me. These cars are all now so quick that it really takes a lot of development money to make any real difference in this area and start shaving noticeable time off acceleration on cars set up for everyday road use. The days of being 0.5 of a second apart have long gone. If straight bang for buck was all that mattered we'd all be driving Nissan GTRs

agree with you lain.. on another note, i am keeping my gtr along with the 458. i am simply in love with that car, and it just kills every other car on the road, including the new turbo, but of course my car is modified with around 620hp

Smiley You just need to meet some capable drivers... Even with 620hp a GTR is still a GTR Smiley Even in a straight line. Heavy and bad CwXA...

KresoF1:

Kreso, that's the problem with all Ferraris (including 599 and GTO): they don't *feel* as strong as a turbo Smiley For good reasons there is the saying: turbo once, turbo forever Smiley I cannot live without a turbo Smiley

MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

Kreso, that's the problem with all Ferraris (including 599 and GTO): they don't *feel* as strong as a turbo Smiley For good reasons there is the saying: turbo once, turbo forever Smiley I cannot live without a turbo Smiley

I am beginning to understand and appreciate that statement.Smiley

--

nberry:
    MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

I am beginning to understand and appreciate that statement.Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

I know that a lot of people hate me in here but let me play devil's advocate for a moment... does "feel" surpass "is" nowadays?

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

I know that a lot of people hate me in here but let me play devil's advocate for a moment... does "feel" surpass "is" nowadays?

It is not just "feel" it is also "is" Smiley Superior concept Smiley

I would wait for the first test to confirm that mate... 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

I would wait for the first test to confirm that mate... 

Agreed Smiley

MKSGR:
    dhayek:
    ISUK:

The high sidewalls on the rear tyres do look a bit strange at first but you become familiar with them after a little while and they don't look so unusual.

I think I've posted before that the cabin feels smaller than a 430. The front trunk is also smaller so I'm at a loss why this should be on a car that is actually slightly longer and higher than a 430 according to the dimensions in the brochure Part of the issue is down to the teardrop shape of the roof which starts to drop down qucker over the cabin than it did with the 430. This results in the roofline being lower above the rear of both doors which makes entry and exit more difficult for taller drivers.

Did the car you drive have standard seats? I found the race seat option gives greater room in the cabin and also seems to be much more comfortable.

I'd heard that the throttle is quite sharp in terms of response. My dealer said it takes a little getting used to but can be driven smoothly. I think he said it alters slightly with the manetinno setting but I may be mistaken.

The performance issue against the Gen2 turbo doesn't surprise me. These cars are all now so quick that it really takes a lot of development money to make any real difference in this area and start shaving noticeable time off acceleration on cars set up for everyday road use. The days of being 0.5 of a second apart have long gone. If straight bang for buck was all that mattered we'd all be driving Nissan GTRs

agree with you lain.. on another note, i am keeping my gtr along with the 458. i am simply in love with that car, and it just kills every other car on the road, including the new turbo, but of course my car is modified with around 620hp

Smiley You just need to meet some capable drivers... Even with 620hp a GTR is still a GTR Smiley Even in a straight line. Heavy and bad CwXA...

on straight lines, its not about the driver, and on bends and curves the gtr excels. i dont know what you mean by a gtr is a gtr . but personally its the nicest car i ever bought and i bought many :)

--

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia (April)

2009 nissan GTR

2007 BMW M5

dhayek:
    MKSGR:
    dhayek:
    ISUK:

on straight lines, its not about the driver, and on bends and curves the gtr excels. i dont know what you mean by a gtr is a gtr . but personally its the nicest car i ever bought and i bought many :)

I was just trying to find an explanation for your statement that your 620hp GTR is faster than a 997TT Mk2. Honestly, the 997TT Mk2 is so much faster in a straight line (at higher speeds, of course) than a regular GTR that you need those additional hp in the GTR and still hardly would match the Mk2 performance, at least I would say so based on my experience Smiley

Ferrari 458 Italia on a scenic test drive...

What is the word under the 458 logo?? Smiley

berfes:

italia Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

pride355:
    berfes:

italia Smiley

Smiley  Smiley

berfes:

Are you sure you ordered the right car? Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

berfes:

You are kidding,right??

Drive impression from RAI Uno-BTW, full CF interior...

Can't say I like this one at all

1271696366374Front.JPG1271696373077Interior 1.JPGInterior 2.JPG

Hmm... Not nice at all.

Here is one pretty good pic...

Wow that interior sucks big time. but if i was ordering a 458 it would be silverstone. 

On a different note this seems to be the best placement for a front license plate i've sen so far. i guess it also depends on the country since some plates might not fit there.

This is the best licence plate solution I've seen..

Reg plate 1.JPGReg plate 2.JPG

Isn't the nose pretty low already? what if you rip that off going through a deep ditch or a speed bump. depending on the quality of the roads in some countries that placement wouldn't last long. 

There is quite a lot of front clearance on the 458 so this placement shouldn't give any issues unless coming down off a ramped driveway onto a street with a fairly steep camber. I don't see any issues with it if the lifting system is fitted either.

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia driven by Matthias Malmedie...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

I couldn't understand anything he said but i could listen to that V8 forever.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782206 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442932 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263526 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86035 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6040 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881720 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819945 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM