Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Walter Röhrl competes in the Nürburgring 24 Hour Race - GT3RS (Chris Harris)

Also worrying is that the fastest Audi was a little over 3 seconds quicker than the fastest GT3 R (race lap times)

Stippler (Audi 8:18.289)

Tiemann (GT3R 8:21.546)

Bergmeister (GT3 Hybrid 8:27.203)

This is not in the bag for Porsche.

Re: Walter Röhrl competes in the Nürburgring 24 Hour Race - GT3RS (Chris Harris)

Porsche obviously saved one pitstop on the Hybrid during last race so, due to the comparatively long pitstops and refueling times, that alone would even out the difference in performance. One should not forget though that competition at the top is very, very competitive. Let´s not forget that Chris Mamerow in the leading GT3 crashed with an Audi R8 he was about to lap and several cars in previous seasons have been damaged severely in the VLN races. After a significant run-off, Jürgen Alzen (brother of Uwe Alzen and teamowner) stated that the margins of error have been diminishing over the past couple of years which, in my opinion, are necessary on this particular track.

Unlike the remaining cars, the Hybrid is still a platform for testing and development which would suffer even more from damages during the race. Actually, three seconds under these circumstances is rather insignificant for me.

3 seconds is the difference of the quickest GT3 R (non-Hybrid) and the quickest Audi. The Hybrid GT3R was a full 9 seconds off the pace of the quickest Audi.

This is disconcerting because Porsche is usually the quickest car around the Ring. This means that they have the potential to make up time (at a quicker rate than others) if and when problems occur. Loosing this capability is worrisome, especially in a 24H race where "problems" will undoubtedly occur.

I agree that the hybrid still has a way to go in its development. Lets hope that it is quicker by the time the race rolls around.

Spyderidol:

3 seconds is the difference of the quickest GT3 R (non-Hybrid) and the quickest Audi. The Hybrid GT3R was a full 9 seconds off the pace of the quickest Audi.

This is disconcerting because Porsche is usually the quickest car around the Ring. This means that they have the potential to make up time (at a quicker rate than others) if and when problems occur. Loosing this capability is worrisome, especially in a 24H race where "problems" will undoubtedly occur.

I agree that the hybrid still has a way to go in its development. Lets hope that it is quicker by the time the race rolls around.

I'm encouraged by the progress of the Porsche 911 GT3R Hybrid -- finishing in third place in their second race at the Nurburgring is a very respectable result. Agree that there was a 9 second gap to the fastest lap from the second-placed Audi R8 LMS -- but that's only a 1.8% difference in lap-time, given the full length of the lap.

So for the 24-hour race at the Nurburgring, the question is whether the GT3R Hybrid can achieve a greater than 1.8% improvement in fuel-efficiency (and hence fuel stops) over a 24-hour race, than is required by the Audi R8 LMS... that should be a great race!

Porsche-GT3-R-Hybrid_Nurburgring.jpg 

Smiley SmileySmiley

...and if they don't have any "problems"' .

The real analysis (which I am unable to make as I was unable to follow live timing) is whether the Porsche's were more constant in their fast laps than the Audi. In other words, I don't know if the Audi lap time set was a one off lap, or if their fast laps were constantly faster than Porsche's fast laps. (I'm not sure if I'm being clear)

If Porsche was able to be quicker more constantly than the Audi, then that is a good sign. It reduces the importance (and impact) of the one off fast lap from Audi.

BTW - The Flywheel system was not (intentionally) fully operational in the first race.

All in all there will be 7 Audi R8 racing in the 24H Nurburgring.

Some of these teams will have stellar line ups.

Abt drivers include Lucas Luhr (ex- Porsche), Emmanuel Collard( Ex- Porsche), Mattias Ekström, Marco Werner amongst others.

Audi is determined to erase any memory of the defeat they suffered in 2009 from the hands of Porsche and Manthey Racing.

Spyderidol:

The real analysis (which I am unable to make as I was unable to follow live timing) is whether the Porsche's were more constant in their fast laps than the Audi. In other words, I don't know if the Audi lap time set was a one off lap, or if their fast laps were constantly faster than Porsche's fast laps. (I'm not sure if I'm being clear)

In the results section you can click on the car number and you get the times for each lap. easy to compare. here is the link  http://www.vln.de/ergebnisse/2010-04-10r.html

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Thanks!

Ok - some quick analysis.

I looked at the Manthey Porsche (#114), the Audi #99 and the GT3R #93. (I also looked at the GT3 Hybrid but more on that later)

Of the 28 laps of the race, the #114 was quicker (or made up time) in 16 of those laps, whilst the #99 Audi was quicker (or made up time) in 12 of the laps.

In general, the comparison between the #114 and the #99 revealed that the Audi dominated the fist few laps and were in front of the #114 until lap 6. It then pulled in for its first pit stop (lap 7)and was overtaken by #114 for good.

The #99 Audi made 4 pit stops whilst the #114 Porsche only made 3. This was largely responsible for the substantial lead amassed by the Porsche.

The #114 Porsche made an average lap time throughout the race(includes time in pit) of 8:44.9 whilst the #99 Audi made an average of 8:47.3.

If however, one eliminates the laps where a pit stop was made (thus looking only at on track performance) the Porsche had an average time of 8:30.1 and the Audi 8:30.7. they are very close indeed!

BTW - The Mamerow #93 GT3R was quicker than them both with 8:29.8

There is more analysis, but I don't want to labor the point (or bore you all to death).

Overall, It seems to me that the 114 made a very tactical race (assuming that they were not having any problems with the car that I don't know about) , whilst the #93 and the #99 Audi were fighting it out on outright speed. The race was won in the pits.

BTW - The Hybrid was not even close in terms of lap times. Lets see how they evolve.

Spyderidol:

Overall, It seems to me that the 114 made a very tactical race (assuming that they were not having any problems with the car that I don't know about) , whilst the #93 and the #99 Audi were fighting it out on outright speed. The race was won in the pits.

Thank you for your analysis, Spyderidol - not boring at all Smiley

Actually it was a very interesting race (I watched it from start to finish from various spots around the Green Hell). I had the impression that the AUDI had an advantage over the RSR when accelerating from midrange speeds. Spectacular scene when Fässler overtook and out-braked Stuck at the end of the GP straight Smiley

As for the "tactical race" of the Manthey RSR: I couldn't believe how agressively Marcel Tiemann drove the car in the last stint Smiley When I watched from the "little caroussel" (Schwalbenschwanz) I thought the car would disintegrate - the undercarriage most have suffered a lot Smiley Then I watched at Hatzenbach and there was a heart stopping lapping manouvre when he opened a "third lane" while two smaller cars were fighting door to door...

By chance I had an appointment at the Manthey shop last Monday and I asked Olaf how the undercarriage of the RSR would look like after the race and why Marcel drove that aggressively. He was grinning: "Marcel had a special task for the last stint - we tested some "hard" tires - he had to compensate for the obviously inferior performance of the tires by pushing a bit more" Smiley

Just heard some bad news re Walter Röhrl: he seems to suffer from a bad back Smiley and therefore Patrick Simon and Roland Asch will take his place in the 24 hrs. No doubt that Patrick will go the same speed (or even a tad faster Smiley)

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Thanks Porsche-Jeck. The #114 was quicker than the Audi from lap 15 to 23 (includes pit stops). They were also quicker on track. It therefore seems that their "special task" worked out. Surprisingly enough, they lost a lot of time to Audi on lap 26 &27 (23.5 seconds)

To bad about WR! Would have been great to see him there this year!

--
    Off enjoying my car...

From what I heard, one pitstop of the #99 Audi R8 was unplanned. Further more, the leading cars from Porsche and Audi are rather close in performance which is certainly a good thing to keep the 24h race exciting. The BMW M3 seem to be burdened from technical complications so far so I am not sure if they belong to the strongest contenders for the podium yet. Still, their Z4 V8 is also remarkably fast and, equipped with the right drivers, appears promising. I do not think that the Hybrid car is necessarily a candidate for the overall victory but, if everything goes well, should finish quite well.

Very sad to hear about Röhrl´s retraction from the race, as a slight compensation Jari-Matti Latvalla, current WRC driver for Ford, will participate in the 24h race just as in the last VLN race. Furthermore, since the Hybrid technology in the GT3 is co-developed by Williams, F1 driver Hülckenberg will test the car in Friday´s practice prior to the VLN race at the 24th of April.

If what you heard about the unplanned Audi pit stop is true, then Porsche might be in deep excrement. Both Porsches were slower in every pit stop.

Spyderidol:

If what you heard about the unplanned Audi pit stop is true, then Porsche might be in deep excrement. Both Porsches were slower in every pit stop.

I am not sufficiently informed about the current state of regulations but the flow rate during refuelling is rather small in VLN/24h and the limiting factor during pitstops. It could be that Audi intended to pit three times during the race with an additional splash-and-dash at the end, whereas Manthey performed the same with 2+1 pitstops due to the 911´s better efficiency. Audi´s decision might´ve been a calculatory excercise with both tire longevity and fuel weight factored in. Mamerow and Manthey have been faster, the former unfortunately without being awarded. Still, the vast majority of the leading cars have been 997 GT3s.

Therefore I resist to view the laptimes alone albeit your effort above has been impressive. Smiley

The GT3R's (like the RSR's) tend to be quite heavy on rear tire usage (not surprising considering where the engine sits). One of the interesting observations is that the GT3 was almost always slower than the Audi on the lap prior to pitting. This could be due to excessive ware. Perhaps its nothing but coincidence. Incidentally, their out lap was also almost always slower.

I read in an interview with Olaf Manthey that their "tactic" was to run consistently fast laps.

I can confirm that they did in fact stick to their plan.

The #114 ran 15 of the 28 laps under 8:30.00 (53.6%), whilst the #99 Audi only managed 10 laps under 8:30.00 (35.7%). Mamerow manged to run exactly half their laps under 8:30.00.

Walter might not compete: 

axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/2010/04/rohrl-dops-out-of-nurburgring-24-hours.html

DuckieRS:

Walter might not compete: 

axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/2010/04/rohrl-dops-out-of-nurburgring-24-hours.html

His name is not on the drivers list for the 24 Std. ADAC race.

--
    harrY 2006 Boxster S, Atlas Grey, Black/Black, 6spd

I have been looking at the driver lineup for the upcoming 24h race.

I was particularly interested in the driver lineup for the "top" candidates for the race win.

I decided to do a little exercise:

The analysis below indicates the percentage of wins for each driver (throughout their career).

1 - Manthey Racing      25 - BMW Motorsport  
    Roman Dumas 22.30%   Jorg Muller 13.75%
    Marc Lieb 22.77%   Augustus Farfus 14.53%
    Timo Bernhard 28.81%   Uwe Alzen 13.46%
    Marcel Tiemann 10.09%   Pedro Lamy 25.47%
    Average 20.99%   Average 16.80%
    9 - Porsche Team Manthey     26 - BMW Motorsport  
    Jorg Bergmeister 28.75%   Dirk Werner 16.28%
    Richard Lietz 12.80%   Dirk Muller 16.67%
    Marco Holzer 6.42%   Andy Priaulx 14.80%
    Martin Ragginger 2.27%   Dirk Adorf 0.00%
    Average 12.56%   Average 11.94%
    12 - Mamerow Racing     98 - Phoenix Racing GmbH  
    Chris Mamerow 4.07%   Mark Basseng 10.42%
    Wolf Henzler 13.82%   Mike Rockenfeller 14.60%
    Jorg Hardt 7.45%   Frank Stippler 9.57%
    Average 8.45%   Hans-Joachim Stuck 13.94%
          Average 12.13%
    8 - Haribo Team Manthey     99 - Phoenix Racing GmbH  
    Lance David Arnold 1.12%   Frank Biela 19.46%
    Christian Menzel 10.04%   Marcel Fassler 9.42%
    Richard Westbrook 28.95%   Pierre Kaffer 11.17%
    Alexander Margaritis 1.47%   Marc Hennerici 7.75%
    Average 10.40%   Average 11.95%

I am quite surprised at the Hybrid car's lineup.

Just read an interview with Jorg Bergmeister on the Hybrid car.

They are hampered by the weight of the system (150Kg), but the organizers have also given them a weight penalty of 25Kg, so this explains the "slow" times set by this car in relation to the head of the field.

He also says (if I understood rightly (interview in German and had to use bable fish)) that they are concentrating on the fuel saving aspect of the system, rather than the extra power aspect. (not surprising considering the ACO regulations for Hybrids).

They hope to get a top 10 finish (they would consider that excellent).

For the iPhone/iPad user:

There is an App called "24h LIVE - 24 Stunden Rennen Nürburgring" for free and a second App "24h-Rennen" for only 1,59€ available at iTunes.

Could be interesting for the visitors of the race this weekend

Itsme:

For the iPhone/iPad user:

There is an App called "24h LIVE - 24 Stunden Rennen Nürburgring" for free and a second App "24h-Rennen" for only 1,59€ available at iTunes.

Could be interesting for the visitors of the race this weekend

Also available for Android users... Smiley

...and Radio Le Mans  will be having live coverage of qualifying and the actual race:

Thu 13th, 18.20 - Nuerburgring 24 hours Qualifying 1
    Fri 14th, 12.50 - Nuerburgring 24 hours Qualifying 2
    Sat 15th, 14.00 - Nuerburgring 24 hours
    Sun 16th, 06.00 - Nuerburgring 24 hours

1273497414077cool.gif

After reading in the Bergmeister interview that Porsche will be concentrating on the fuel saving aspect of the Hybrid (rather than the speed) , it is obvious that Porsche has opted for the "tortoise" strategy for the 24h race.

Now equally as obvious, Porsche must have done the math, and are quite satisfied with the results their simulation provides.

They have estimated that a top 10 finish is their primary objective (very low target IMO), but I suspect that they are hoping for a podium finish. (Quite possible , but will require luck).

Whilst all this is perfectly understandable, given the car's "rolling lab" status, I sincerely hope that this is not a prelude to Porsche's main strategy for the future Le Mans car.

No one wants to see a Porsche LMP1 car get thoroughly spanked during qualifying by the other LMP1 cars. whip.gif

Furthermore, the problem with the "tortoise" strategy is that even if you reduce the pit stops, it also assumes that you do not have any other problems (extra pit stops). If you do happen to have some problems (very likely at Le Mans) and need to make an extra pit stop, you tend to lose any advantage gained from your strategy, and worst still is that you are now stuck in a car that does not have the speed to make up the time.

Having said all that, let me be the first to say that no one needs to tell Porsche how to win Le Mans (and certainly not me), but I sometimes worry that this "fuel saving - lets be green - greener than the Jolly Giant " extravaganza that Porsche is pushing in a big way, might cloud some otherwise very bright minds.

BOP_ 24h.pdf 

Here is the performance balancing that is applied to the cars in SP7, SP8, SP9, SP10 and E1-XP.

Note the extra weight on the R Hybrid.

Also note the lower weight and bigger restricor (more air) on the F430

2010 Nurburgring 24-hour – Chris Harris update...

"FIRST BLOG (OF MANY) FROM MONKEY AT 'RING 24 2010"

(12 May 2010)

Roll up, roll up.

Greetings from the Nordschleife!!

This isn't so much a race weekend, as a race week...

I'll do my best to post blog updates over the next few days.

12738234442051.jpg

Came over last night in the press RS. It rained for 330 miles of the 400 mile journey, which was nice. There's no radio, so the iPod came into play. Only when you're shielded from the RS's noises do you realise just how supple it is. It's genuinely comfortable. Little bit lively in deep water though....

Breakfasted with R.Meaden, who showed remarkable, uncharacteristic restraint with the bacon.

Paddock is already humming nicely with amazing machinery. Went through helmet/suit control standing next to H.J Stuck (who remains my complete hero).

Then our car arrived, having been driven from Weissach on the road by team mate Horst von Saurma. You can't fault Porsche for its commitment to this project and adhering to the road-car philosophy.

12738234835362.jpg

This is the luggage compartment !!

12738235042223.jpg

This is the street rubber, soon to be replaced by (hopefully) sticky slicks. Weather forecast is all over the place, so we'll have to wait and see.

12738235181604.jpg

There's an irritating amount of hanging before this race, but it's very exciting seeing how things quietly bubble-up into a frenzy before the start of the race.

Test tomorrow.

2010-Nurburgring-24hr_Chris-Harris_Article-01 

Chris-Harris_Twitter-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

2010 Nurburgring 24-hour – Chris Harris update 2...

"CHRIS HARRIS: PORSCHE TEAM-WEAR AND THE SHOE CONUNDRUM"

(12 May 2010)

I don't like clothes and my shabby personal appearance pays testimony to the fact. Art Ed Paul Lang finds my appearance hilarious, which is a good thing because so do I. His work recreating my old brown jumper for the column illustrations in the mag is exemplary.

There is one thing about people who don't care about personal appearance that grates even more than fashion though: team-wear. I come out in a rash just thinking about the stuff.

This week might just be an exception for me though, because for last time ever, I am a factory Porsche driver. And even a concerted thread-hater can fall-into-line for that.

The Ring 24 is all about uniforms. Everyone has a uniform. It's like an inter-school competition, with horsepower.

So, I have the jumper, which is actually perfectly bearable:

2010-Porsche-911-GT3-RS_Chris-Harris_Nurburgring-Trip-06.jpg

I also have a very warm coat, which is useful because it's effing freezing here just now:

2010-Porsche-911-GT3-RS_Chris-Harris_Nurburgring-Trip-07.jpg

So, for the reasons listed above, I can do the jumper and the jacket and, at a push, I might manage a short stint in this 'smart' shirt thing:

2010-Porsche-911-GT3-RS_Chris-Harris_Nurburgring-Trip-08.jpg

But what in the name of Ferry Porsche's sainted buttocks am I supposed to do with these things? So far as I can make out they're a kind of fashion dap: a sort of leisure plimsole for mooching about paddocks. I think I'll look ridiculous in them:

2010-Porsche-911-GT3-RS_Chris-Harris_Nurburgring-Trip-09.jpg

And therein lies my problem. Does the event warrant me breaking my personal code? Can I wear the fashion daps?

Sod Schwedenkreuz and the Foxhole, this stuff is far more difficult to judge. Porsche could get the right hump if I pitch for the press conference looking like Wurzel Gummidge.

Really, I'd just like my old shorts and my comfy, hole-ridden, manky old jumper. But I'll keep the coat for now.

Advice, please.

2010-Nurburgring-24hr_Chris-Harris_Article-02

Smiley SmileySmiley

2010 Nurburgring 24-hour – Chris Harris update 3...

"UTTERLY MISERABLE CONDITIONS FOR N24 TEST SESSION"

(13 May 2010)

12738240200455.jpg

It's been raining for hours, and the moment it stops the clouds roll-in and you can't see more than fifty feet. Me? I'd take rain over fog here any day of the week, so here's hoping it keeps lashing it down.

2010-Porsche-911-GT3-RS_Chris-Harris_Nurburgring-Trip-02b.jpg

All calm in the Porsche team. We've had the meetings, been told how we'll run, and now we just carry-out the orders. I like endurance racing this way: it's about executing a pre-determined plan.

Think fuel consumption could be an important performance issue, so looking to see what the best blend of lap-time and economy is best.

There's a real hum in the team now. Both the RS and the GT3 R Hybrid look match-fit, but a lot of the technical guys from Weissach involved in the street cars are here too -from GT3/RS and this insane GT2 RS they've just unveiled. Everyone's talking about the 620bhp monster, saying it's actually very easy to drive.

Just not on a wet, cold Nordschleife.

Night qualifying this evening could be interesting: just found out we have standard 997 lights!

12738240992686.jpg

2010-Nurburgring-24hr_Chris-Harris_Article-03

Smiley SmileySmiley

2010 Nurburgring 24-hour – Chris Harris update 4...

"FIRST TEST FOR THE GT3 RS GOES WELL"

(13 May 2010)

2010-Porsche-911-GT3-RS_Chris-Harris_Nurburgring-Trip-11.jpg

You know it's a gnarly test when, as you traipse back-and-forth from the race truck to the pit box, you keep seeing freshly shunted metal being dragged back into the paddock.

Roland Asch went out first for us (car no.11), supposedly on an 'exploratory' to check the set-up and promptly stuck it 6th fastest on a wet track! The old boy doesn't understand half-measures, but then he was runner-up in DTM.

Patrick Simon then went out on wets and was only a few seconds off Asch - in his third lap in the car. Bit handy that. The rain stopped, everyone changed to slicks, including Patrick who then did 10min20 and we were 19th when I was just getting in the car and the session was red-flagged for some manner of shuntage. I didn't go out.

We ended up 21st out of over 180 cars in the session, just behind a full-house Cup S! If it rains, or can't make up it's mind, we do have quite a special machine for the race.

Evening qualifying begins at 7pm CET, ending at 10.30pm. Reckon everyone will go for fast times - the track has a dry line (for now), the air is nicely chilled and handily oxygenated. We're going to finally see the pace of the big-boys at Audi, Porsche and BMW.

The little street RS will follow in their wakes, hopefully not too far behind.

24h10_gt3rs1.jpg

24h10_gt3rs2.jpg

24h10_gt3rs3.jpg

24h10_manthey1.jpg

2010-Porsche-911-GT3-RS_Chris-Harris_Nurburgring-Trip-03.jpg

Oh, and Walter may be out of the race with a crook back, but he's turned-up to cheer us on. Good lad.

2010-Porsche-911-GT3-RS_Chris-Harris_Nurburgring-Trip-10.jpg

2010-Nurburgring-24hr_Chris-Harris_Article-04

Smiley SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690475 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255993 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65647 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858405 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774682 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM