Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Finally...my X5 M is on the ship...or not ?

Congrats from me too! Finally the long wait is over and this car looks stunning!

Rossi:

Better than I though all in black. 

Agree, looks much better than I expected and fits you very well! Congratulations! Smiley

Wow, the car looks great  Smiley
    After a long time of waiting take my sincere congratulations.

The black grill looks way better as I ever thought.
    I'm seriously consider to install it on mine.
    But maybe it suits better to the black colour as to the carbonblack? Smiley

Have  a good time with this wonderful car.  Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S (Jun 10) *  BMW X5 M

Congrats! Nice pics still.

A friend has his rear lights slightly tinted so there is a way to do it, but it might not be legal in Germany.

Rossi:

Great looking car, RC.

Better than I though all in black.

Me think so, black grills look better than  I thought Smiley

Enjoy the beast in good health Christian Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Nice car RC Smiley Enjoy it in good health Smiley

And please post some pictures of the interior.

--

There is no try. Just do.

Love that front grill!  I might look into that for our car too, although I am not sure if it will look good on our blue car. 

Congrats RC!  Enjoy your new car in good health.  You will love it as much as we do ours.  My 2 year old's favourite phrase when he is in the car is "Go fast fast".  He just loves it when I accelerate hard in this car.

Great to hear you are back home safe and that the car came out exactly as optioned. 

I agree with comments above the black grill gives the car a lot more character then i expected, great call on that. Can't wait for you review !  but get some rest first 

Here are two interior pics, the leather color (criollo brown) is actually a dark brown but the color in the photos isn't 100% accurate, it should be slightly darker (not much though) and less "red-ish". Looks very nice with the black exterior in my opinion.

myx5m5.jpg

myx5m6.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (April 9th, 2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

That interior is very nice, wish I can have that color. @#$%^%#@#$%#@# BMW!

Looks very clean being de-badged..

Great in black,, many congrats.....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

RC:

Here are two interior pics, the leather color (criollo brown) is actually a dark brown but the color in the photos isn't 100% accurate, it should be slightly darker (not much though) and less "red-ish". Looks very nice with the black exterior in my opinion.

myx5m5.jpg

myx5m6.jpg

I thought leather dash was standard..

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

It's standard in North American market, but option in Germany. It's was between the leather dash and DVD for RC, the DVD player won hands down.

Is that interior Individual? That is very nice. Wasn't an option for me though. You should have gone for leather dash. That's something I love about our car. You know what?I just realised that I have never taken pics of out X5M beyond a couple of iPhone shots. No interior shots either!

I didn't go for the full leather incl. the dash for two reasons: 1. everything with the exception of black reflects in the dash 2. cost I really configured this car to my needs and preferences, the full leather was never on my priority list. More pics and text to follow soons, stay tuned.
    --

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (April 9th, 2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I love it Smiley congrats Christian.  Very very very nice, can't wait to read your report.

--
    Happy Driving

pride355:
    RC:

myx5m5.jpg

I thought leather dash was standard..

IMHO i think the standard dash suits better the M versions than the leather one. 

BTW the interior color looks great RC, its already very classy, and the way you describe it "a bit darker brown" could only be better. Smiley

Great interior combo! Have a similar one in my 3-series, looks great with black exterior. 

--

993 Targa Black/Black

I love the pipping on the seats too btw!

Great Christian,congratulation!!

Looks really good!,need more pics outside!As soon you can,make them!

i'm waiting!

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

Great car, congrats ! 

Outside and inside it looks great  A very good combo. I like the balck instead of the crome . A very nice touch !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

very nice, sometimes a leather dash have problem's, like drying and pulling away from corners ..... even on relatively new cars. Alcantara would be better than leather for the dash. 

Unfortunately I already found something annoying: the brake dive when braking, it is too strong in my opinion. It feels better when I brake less harsh and more "linear" but it is still there and it is annoying. Any X5M/X6M driver with the same experience ?

The worst thing is actually that the brake dive happens and then the chassis returns back to it's regular position, giving you the opposite effect of a dive immediately after the brake dive.

So your body moves slightly forward and then back in the opposite direction but it is a strong feel, not the normal feeling you get when you brake and come to a stop.

It is difficult for me to explain but it is definitely very annoying.

Fuel consumption: I really drive very very slow, I almost never rev above 4000 rpm and I press the throttle halfway through, not more but I always drive in "M" mode. The fuel consumption so far is exactly 20 l / 100 km. I know the car is new but I start to wonder how some people got 16 l and less.

The HiFi High End Individual System is OK but not what I expected from this kind of price tag. The Burmester system on the Panamera is definitely better sound-wise.

Finally, the exhaust sound is LOUD (not so much in the interior but my wife and some friends told me that it is definitely very loud from the outside of the car) but not even close to what I would want to hear on a SUV. Maybe it is me but it sounds like tuned up 4-cylinder Turbo engine and in fact, the 6-cyl Turbo Diesel I drove in the X6 35d sounded not much different, even if less loud. My point is: dammit, BMW M department, give the X5/X6M a more decent and sporty sound. This cannot be it.

Don't get me wrong, guys...these are actually the only complaints so far, the car drives great and I love the drive feel.

More in a detailled driving report soon.

myx5m7.jpg

--

I love how you specced it! The black kidneys look great and the interior is fabuloius, well done! Congratulations

RC:

Unfortunately I already found something annoying: the brake dive when braking, it is too strong in my opinion. It feels better when I brake less harsh and more "linear" but it is still there and it is annoying. Any X5M/X6M driver with the same experience ?

I don't think it's so much an X5M problem as a problem a driver has when he goes from a Porsche to most other types of car, and I put it down to the different "philosophies" of the car manufacturers concerned. 

My theory is that Porsche cars have "harder" brake friction material than most cars do, and that Porsche has specced such materials because they resist fading better than softer pads and also allow better brake modulation during spirited driving than softer "sudden death" friction materials. The harder pads require more pedal pressure to achieve the same braking effect, but this means that the driver has more control over the braking effect by varying the pedal force over a larger range. 

I've often given my wife cause for complaint when I drive her car, because I have tended to "overbrake" it initially, resulting in her being reminded of what a seat belt is good for. I find the same thing with rental cars.

My guess is most car manufacturers go for the softer materials for their better anti-squeal properties, as well as because they know that many drivers would otherwise be "Incapable" of doing a real emergency stop even in a real emergency situation. Many drivers seem to have a mental block against really putting the middle pedal to the metal when necessary.

Does anyone else find the same thing, or do I just have an over-active imagination? Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    RC:

I don't think it's so much an X5M problem as a problem a driver has when he goes from a Porsche to most other types of car, and I put it down to the different "philosophies" of the car manufacturers concerned.

Fritz,

unless I am mistaken he referred to the pitch under braking (nickmoment), resulting in the front to dive. That would be caused by... ah well, I don´t need to tell you. Smiley

Congrats, it is a stunning looking car, inside and out!

Hey RC, I knows it's too early but what are your plans for winter wheel and tires? 

Something from the BMW or you are looking elsewhere?

What would BMW give you had you spec-ed winter tires?

I was trying to find sizes for the M in 20" and I found none. I am leaning towards getting a set of 215 in grey for summer and keeping the 300M for winter.

Ferdie:
    fritz:
    RC:

Fritz,

unless I am mistaken he referred to the pitch under braking (nickmoment), resulting in the front to dive. That would be caused by... ah well, I don´t need to tell you. Smiley

I also thought initially that RC was just referring to insufficient ant-dive suspension geometry, but then I thought his real complaint was the dive resulting from his "normal" pedal pressure resulting in more deceleration than he bargained for, see:  " It feels better when I brake less harsh and more "linear"".
    Less harsh, more linear =
    better modulated? Smiley

Even cars with anti-dive built in still pitch forward when braked, and I suspect that eliminating it to too great an extent might cause other problems? Smiley

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802477 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448321 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265879 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89886 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6362 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885253 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831736 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM