Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari 599 GTO

JoeRockhead:
    Mike S:

One is reserved for me I can't wait to start speccing out the car!

The configurator is up, why wait? Here's mine: Smiley

Screen shot 2010-04-09 at 8.22.56 AM.png

Here's mine:

599gto.jpg 

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

JoeRockhead:

Some guy recorded this a week or so ago. The first few minutes have some nice sounds.

Anyone notice the crazy dive under braking at about 3:45? Sort of soft for an "ultimate" F model one would think. Looks McLaren F1-ish (not that the F1 is a slouch in any way).

I wonder how the GTO version of the California will look like

berfes:

the new "real " ferrari is the 458, this 599 gto looks like a mercedes or bmw.....

The 599GTB is one hell of a Ferrari. Drive one and you'll know how amazing it is.

I'm sorry but What BMW or MB are you talking about that looks even close to the GTO??

ISUK:

Someone sneaked a camera into the production line. Here is the 599 in Bianco Avus with blue stripe I saw. It has ball polished wheels on one side and satin black finish on the other. I gues this car is destined for the Atelier.

I think so ISUK.. this car it's a little bit strange... Smiley

Koko: I mean that the 599 has too big dimension to be a good Ferrari... and in addition the front-engine  decidedly not...  Smiley

berfes:

Koko: I mean that the 599 has too big dimension to be a good Ferrari... and in addition the front-engine  decidedly not...  Smiley

Smiley berfes I'm sorry but that is just a laughable comment. Either you really don't know or fail to appreciate the history of Ferrari by making it. Have you driven any front engined Ferraris to make such a statement? The mid engined V8 cars were always seen as the entry level models, not the template for all their cars.

Try posting a statement like that on FerrariChat and see the response you get  Smiley

Mike S:

LOL, not again!? Smiley

ISUK:
    berfes:

Smiley berfes I'm sorry but that is just a laughable comment. Either you really don't know or fail to appreciate the history of Ferrari by by making it. Have you driven any front engined Ferraris to make such a statement? The mid engined V8 cars were always seen as the entry level models, not the template for all their cars.

Try posting a statement like that on FerrariChat and see the response yo

ISUK, I agree with you. I think he never  drove the 599 or even been in one.

JoeRockhead:
    Mike S:

The configurator is up, why wait? Here's mine: Smiley

Screen shot 2010-04-09 at 8.22.56 AM.png

Smiley Wow, awesome. Like an italian muscle car.

599 is actually quite small, about the same length as an M3.

Mike S:

We are really past the point of being surprised by that kind of statement by you Mike. That said i think all of us are happy we get to have a first hand opinion on so many exotics you put on the road Smiley. I'd have mine in this flavour:

Enmanuel:
    Mike S:

We are really past the point of being surprised by that kind of statement by you Mike. That said i think all of us are happy we get to have a first hand opinion on so many exotics you put on the road Smiley. I'd have mine in this flavour:

Me likes this the most Smiley

Enmanuel,

Most of the time, we share the same taste Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

pride355:
    Me likes this the most Smiley  

Enmanuel,

Most of the time, we share the same taste Smiley

Great minds think alike Smiley Smiley

Enmanuel:
    Mike S:

We are really past the point of being surprised by that kind of statement by you Mike.

I would even say such a statement is rather boring for us now. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

GT:
    I don't know.. I read 0-60 in 3.4 seconds in a couple of articles. Also I am not sure about ferrari understating their perf numbers. I think its probably the other way around as it has also been proved with the announced weight of their cars. In any case I am sure it'll bags of presence and driving feel just like every ferrari. This is really what they are selling and they are the best in the world at it.

Actually Ferrari is quoting 3.35s for the 0-100 km/h time, which would translate at less than 3.2s for the 60 mph dash. But even that is very conservative, as per usual with Ferrari! The regular 599 was clocked at 3.2s by R&T!!! I can well imagine the GTO deeping below the 3s mark!!! Smiley 

PS: You really don't like Ferraris, do you?

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS: 

PS: You really don't like Ferraris, do you?

My thoughts. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Err not the case considering I am about the buy a 430 spider! Ferrari has A LOT of shortcomings compared to turbos when it comes to pretty much all "objective" criteria - such as acceleration, traction, braking, cornering, usability, maintenance, reliability. The above are facts and I ve lapped behind numerous scuderias etc and I found out for myself all the above.. (Also have it on video) BUT when I test drove a mere F430 spider f1 I realized that the above in a certain way are irrelevant as the ferrari is a completely different experience and UNIQUE in its own way. Not to mention that it looks like a piece of art and has huge presence. Everything seems to be designed to give the feeling of driving a racing car (and being a race driver lol!) while you maybe just doing 1st 2ng gear accelerations on a straight road! Hence I am trying to get one! (Obviously all of the above are the own personal opinions and am sure others might strongly disagree.)

The fact that 9 out of 10 times, the NA Ferraris are quicker than the turbocharged Porsches in numerous comparissons tests must be puzzling you then... Not to mention that the absolutely best Porsches (Carrera GT, GT3 RS) are NA!!! 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

GT:
    Err not the case considering I am about the buy a 430 spider! Ferrari has A LOT of shortcomings compared to turbos when it comes to pretty much all "objective" criteria - such as acceleration, traction, braking, cornering, usability, maintenance, reliability. The above are facts and I ve lapped behind numerous scuderias etc and I found out for myself all the above.. (Also have it on video) BUT when I test drove a mere F430 spider f1 I realized that the above in a certain way are irrelevant as the ferrari is a completely different experience and UNIQUE in its own way. Not to mention that it looks like a piece of art and has huge presence. Everything seems to be designed to give the feeling of driving a racing car (and being a race driver lol!) while you maybe just doing 1st 2ng gear accelerations on a straight road! Hence I am trying to get one! (Obviously all of the above are the own personal opinions and am sure others might strongly disagree.)

And this is why Ferraris sell so well... The heart prevails on the brain.

REALZEUS:

The fact that 9 out of 10 times, the NA Ferraris are quicker than the turbocharged Porsches in numerous comparissons tests must be puzzling you then...

I think you are reading too many magazines! Smiley

Ferdie:
    REALZEUS:

The fact that 9 out of 10 times, the NA Ferraris are quicker than the turbocharged Porsches in numerous comparissons tests must be puzzling you then...

REALZEUS my 997tt will be in athens in a couple of days.. I think you may struggle to believe what this car can do compared to any ferrari. We are talking complete obliteration across the board. Also when that car was 550hp (or less actually because of a mechanical issue) I was just about matching the straight line pace of scuderias with (+1 passenger) and I was actually faster on corners/ braking on same tires...

Same happened with 2 different drivers on both cars.. Head of P marseille came as a passenger that day to witness this as well. 

Actually all N/A porsches (gt3rs and GT3s) were passing those 2 scuds, actually lapping them consistently.

Scuderia though is a gorgeous car, and I have driven it extensively. No question about it. But as it is said above, its the soul that matters sometimes, not only the brain..

JesseBank:
    JoeRockhead:

Some guy recorded this a week or so ago. The first few minutes have some nice sounds.

Anyone notice the crazy dive under braking at about 3:45? Sort of soft for an "ultimate" F model one would think. Looks McLaren F1-ish (not that the F1 is a slouch in any way).

I have noticed that on many videos of the 599/612 models since introduction. Much more dive and lean in corners than say a 928 - another front engined GT. But it does not seem to matter in performance numbers. I have sat in a few front engined 12 cyl f-cars, been on some rides with them but have no personal experience riding in one.

Ferdie:
    REALZEUS:

I think it is already very hard to find those magazines he is referring to Smiley

Rossi:
    Enmanuel:
    Mike S:

We are really past the point of being surprised by that kind of statement by you Mike.

I would even say such a statement is rather boring for us now. Smiley

He need to come up with some new material to spice things up.Smiley

MKSGR:
    Ferdie:
    REALZEUS:

I think it is already very hard to find those magazines he is referring to Smiley

Not at all mate. Most non German magazines in fact put Ferraris in front  both in straight line speed and lap times (F430 vs 997 TT by R&T, Scuderia vs 997 GT2 by Quattroruote for example). Smiley

GT: A 550 BHP 911? When did the factory release that model? Smiley We are always comparing stock for stock! Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

GT: A 550 BHP 911? When did the factory release that model? Smiley We are always comparing stock for stock! Smiley

Usually, the case with Porsche is that real output is higher than declared.

Try dyno-testing any Italian car from Alfa Romeo to Ferrari and usually the brochure figures are exaggerated and in most cases they are not met by the typical customer cars.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Last time I ckecked all Ferraris were clocked faster than the claimed performance Reginos and that counts more than dyno charts that depend greatly on the calibration of the rolling road (i.e. you can compare cars only at the same dyno/rolling road).  For example, Quattroruote clocked the California at 3.9 for the 0-100 km/h dash and R&T gave an impressive 3.2s for the 599's 0-60mph. These cliches are getting pretty boring...

Anywany, my point was that you cannot compare stock against modified vehicles. I don't think abyone disagrees on that...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

RealZeus my stock tt was 501hp (without sport mode on) when it had 200ks on the clock. I have the dyno sheet.

A chipped 997tt.1 with a set of damptronics and sways would beat a race focused scud with no interior trim, roll bar, 250kgs less weight etc etc. And it cost less than half.

If you spend another 10k-15k you are at enzo territory without sacrificing daily driving etc etc.

And the more serious staff starts after that. The porsche is such an overengineered car that you can run 600-700hp without changing too many things and run at the track and corner the car hard with no issues. And that is what attracts so many people here.

I see you live in greece so an interesting test would be to check how on earth a 997tt with 900nm of torque can accelerate with minimum to zero wheelspin full out on those extra slippery roads there, where as ferrari (any ferrari) with HALF the torque literally is dancing around on even 4th gear.

That's german engineering for you and development for 30 years on these cars we buy..

Pls lets not discuss Quatroruote results for any F car. As a matter of fact most magazines exc AMS for that matter

Please let's not discuss the abomination that is AMS!!!  You are still talking about tuned versions, we really cannot have a meaningful conversation if we keep comparing apples to oranges. Stock for stock is the only meaningful discussion. Bolt on a turbo to any car and you can have as much power as you like. Greek roads are apalling and I was passenger in an F430 when the ASR intervened at 200 km/h, in 5th gear on a dry straight when the driver floored the throttle!!! I never saw this in the UK... You should also know that engine torque is the most missleading figure ever as the real torque that reaches the ground is multiplied by the gearbox. Power is the best indication of performance as power is torque x RPM. Not talking into account RPM when talking about performance is just wrong. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

If you like 12 cilinders anterior-gear box () ... anyway don't buy this car...

wait that the new 599 coming soon.....!!!      

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760263 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434152 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259892 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257034 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80685 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871030 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806162 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM