Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Lewis Hamilton's car impounded by police..

The other thing is that the Aussie authorities will do things their way and they just don't care what people in other countries think.

Whether or not one agrees with the particular policy in question, I have to say that I certainly respect that self-belief and sheer bloody-mindedness  It's part of what it means to be Australian.

Regarding racism, although Australia has historically had some pretty brazen racism in the quite recent past, I have no doubt that racism played no part in what happened to Lewis. I would fully expect the Victoria Police to have punished any white man with exactly the same degree of severity.

The impression I got when I was there is that the Aussie Police (in Victoria and New South Wales especially) are generally not known for their sense of humour. They are uniformly very tough guys.

The paradox is that AFAIK crime levels in major cities in Australia are not much different to the UK.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

And I always thought that only US highway patrol has a stick in their a.. .

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (April 9th, 2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

easy_rider911:

The impression I got when I was there is that the Aussie Police (in Victoria and New South Wales especially) are generally not known for their sense of humour. They are uniformly very tough guys.

The paradox is that AFAIK crime levels in major cities in Australia are not much different to the UK.

This is not surprising if they waste time on incidences like Hamilton's instead of fighting crime.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

That wasn't my point - I don't think the crime rates are what they are through wasting time on incidents where the Police shouldn't intervene.

My point was that this was paradoxical given my understanding that the Police there DO fight crime more aggressively than the softly-softly approach adopted in the UK. 

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

That wasn't my point - I don't think the crime rates are what they are through wasting time on incidents where the Police shouldn't intervene.

My point was that this was paradoxical given my understanding that the Police there DO fight crime more aggressively than the softly-softly approach adopted in the UK. 

Being bullish doesn't always bring results. Often, with this methods they catch the small fish. Perhaps UK police are more methodical and clever in their tactics.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Yes laws are there for a reason, but a simple burn out to please the fans in front of F1 by a beloved champion should not be cause for a pull over and a huge intl. news burst. This will turn to be negative publicity for the Aus policy, but they don't care. It's just embarassing for LH who will hopefully crack a joke about it come sunday. Rock on Lewis! 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Hoon laws were created to combat these sort of behaviours (see you tube below) which were getting out of control on our streets for years.  I don't think you guys would like it if you had such a culture where you live.  I rather a nanny state that subjects my parents, wife and kid to these sort of behaviours on the road when they drive.  I certainly don't see these sort of behaviours in places like Germany, but if it were prevalent, I am sure you guys would react to it too.  Bear in mind Albert Park is in the city, not somewhere far away like most racetracks are.  The street that Hamilton did that was a street that is popular with diners and lined with restaurants and cafes.  Like the rest of you, I am big on speed and hooligan behaviours in cars, but I restrict these sort of behaviours to the track and backroads, not in the middle of the city.  I don't think for example that London police would take this lightly either if this happened in London, but if it happened out in the industrial streets of Manchester, they would be more relaxed about it.  Anyway, I have said enough.  I live here and I am happy with this law and it certainly make it a better place to live. 

PS:  Easy, great to see you enjoyed my country.  Of course I am bias, but I think Australia is a great country to live.  Smiley  But yes, our speed limit laws are rediculous.  That one has nothing to do with fatalities if you ask the experts.

Here is another video. 

I can understand the thrill and the fun they're having, but these guys are addicts and dangerous. Problem is though, addicts don't care about punishment, they are risking their lives anyway. They need help.

HM the Queen can always dismiss the Aussie governement... so I may visit the place after all...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Lewis would not have acted in this way had his father still been an influence in his life....

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

There are over zealous police all over the world. I think Lewis got busted to set an example. Paul Tracy almost got a ticket for doing a burnout ON the track doing a burnout in a Viper at the Toronto Indy a few years back. Traffic cops put square pegs in square holes, they aren't paid to think.

Joe, that would be much worst!  

Racerx and others, Mark Webber agrees with you.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/australian-grand-prix/mark-webber-takes-swipe-at-australian-nanny-state-20100328-r4qj.html

I doubt that a simple burn-out by one of the world's best drivers can't be compared to street racing.

I stick to my opinion: the police over-reacted and while it may have been according to the law, I bet with you that internally, these policemen made a joke out of themselves. I highly doubt that everybody at Australian police took this incident that seriously.

We had some burn-out and donut fun on a local public parking lot once and when the police showed up, they just verified our driver's licenses and car documents and asked us to leave because some neighbors apparently made complaints about the noise.

Of course there are other kind of policemen too over here, a friend got a 10 (!) EUR fine for "breach of public peace" when he did some drifting in a traffice circle at night but this punishment is still reasonable in my opinion.

Btw: Germany has practically the lowest car driver death toll in Europe and the Autobahn is the safest road in Germany according to accident figures. We have no general speed limit, so everything they tell people in other countries about "speed kills" must be wrong somehow. Smiley Yes, german drivers have a very good driving education but compared to other european countries, the laws a pretty liberal.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (April 9th, 2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Germany and Italy are the places to drive!  On the other hand, the safest roads in Europe are in the UK but we have way too many speed cameras for my liking...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

You get caught drifting or doing a burn out in the street here in front of the Guardia Civil and the likely outcome is 300€ for "reckless driving" and a few license points. But in special events, like a spanish motoGP, they block off streets and burn outs and stuffff as people party are more or less allowed.

Reckless driving behaviours should be strongly persecuted and punished by law, but there has to be some comon sense in how the law is appplied in order for the law to be fair, well accepted and respected, otherwise people will rebel against the laws if they consider them stupid by how they are applied.

I think that given the circumstances, during the celebration of a Formula 1 GP, an expert profesional driver, a foreigner, and doing a simple burnout for his fans as he exits the track, the police could have stopped him and simply issue him a warning and thats it. The police impounding the car and talking to the media, etc was not just and taking advantange of the situation for their own benefit at the expense of the driver's media attention. Not a smart move, if the police wanted some good publicity, I think they got the complete opposite.

--

I understand both sides´ considerations but do find the punishment a bit too far stretched. If they would´ve given him a lecture and possibly a fine would´ve been enough. On the other hand he certainly is a role model for the above shown hooligans, so taking away his car certainly makes a statement.

Now´d that be illegal in Australia?

Actually that is in Australia.  I don't think it was in Melbourne though, or it would have been impounded.

John H:

Lewis would not have acted in this way had his father still been an influence in his life....

I wouldn't be so sure about that Smiley

racerx:

It's called - control  vs. out of control.

. A simple burn-out is not going to harm anyone. (don't confuse with idiotic gumballers or drifters)

You are being extreme to try to prove your philosophical standpoint of the nanny state view of the world.

WAY:

Hoon laws were created to combat these sort of behaviours (see you tube below) which were getting out of control on our streets for years.

Apples and Oranges

So you found extreme examples of street racing and donuts to try to prove your point. That goes against what I had already posted.

I am not defending crazy Ahole behaviour. But I doubt Webber was pouring amonia on Hamiltons tires when he pulled out of the VIP exit.Smiley

Pulling away from a stop sign or red light and chirping the tires is a far different deal than congregating with crowds to street race and raise hell late at night.

No amount of crazy extreme behaviour can justify the crazy extreme laws of the aussie nanny state. So many here, just don't get freedom - when i see "laws exist" blah blah blah. Nazi Germany had LAWS too. Freedom not only means free to do but also responsibility for the consequences of your actions.

Haha I can see Vettel doing that to Hamilton.  He has a great sense of humour.

I do get your point, but those videos are not just the extreme examples.  They were the reasons why the so called Hoon Laws were created in Victoria, which has now been copied by a couple of other states.  Hooliganism on our streets were getting out of control and something had to be done about it and the zero tolerance for these behaviour seems to be working.  Make it this way, I wouldn't be drifting my car unless I am sure there is no way I could be spotted by a cop which also mean it's going to be away from general public.  Btw, as an owner of a C63, I can see why Hamilton would do that. 

So you see what I said in the first place about dumbing  down society.

No one can be in favor of that stupid behaviour on those video's and it should be stopped, but the "zero tolerance" laws punish the reasonable people who want a little harmless fun.

But Webber felt Australians increasingly were being tied up by rules.

''I think we've got to read an instruction book when we get out of bed - what we can do and what we can't do … put a yellow vest on and all that sort of stuff,'' he said.

The irony is that Aussies are very laid back people in contrast to their laws...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

The irony is that Aussies are very laid back people in contrast to their laws...

They are a democracy, so they made the laws...

Do you really know what the Democracy in ancient Athens was like? Nothing like the "Democracies" we have nowadays...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

Do you really know what the Democracy in ancient Athens was like? Nothing like the "Democracies" we have nowadays...

Can you explain? i'm interested

The roads Minister in Victoria has criticised Lewis Hamilton and called him a "d*ckhead"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8592317.stm

--

There was obviously a fatal accident just days before Hamilton´s burnout on the exact same street. Bruno Senna reportedly drove behind Hamilton and stated that it wasn´t that exuberant.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690844 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410081 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256160 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235381 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858758 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775048 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM