Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: Nissan GT-R vs Porsche GT2

I read several Nissan GT-R reviews and in THREE reviews, something broke or didn't work anymore.  I suppose you get what you're paying for but honestly, I wouldn't trust this car, especially not in a tuned version. The price tag however is very very convincing, I can see why people buy this.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (April 9th, 2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

should be mentioned that it's a 996 gt2.....

scud driver is having a picnic.

+ all wht RC said.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

The most interesting thing is that all these "GTR Fans" which were so numoerous when the first  rumours about the new Nissan spread over the Internet are now gone.

Now, after the car is actually used by real (!) customers disillusion characterizes most if not all remaining GTR threads on the Internet... Overheating, transmission failures, brake issues, engine replacements etc. etc.

What intense posting was required to fight all these nonsensical GTR posts a year ago. Didn't we just know it better then? Same procedure as every time Smiley

The scud driver is off pace. And even so I bet that after a couple of laps the GTR would be forced to take it easy. The GTR it's a great road car for that money and if used with moderation it's reliable too. In the same time the GTR can't hide it's mass no matter what. The scud it's built for the track not for the road.

I remember once overheating the brakes on my 997 Carrera on a very twisted downhill mountain road. Never happened with a ceramic break setup. Actually it works better when you keep it hot Smiley The GTR doesn't have such setup. I know, I know, there are probably the best steel brakes in the world. Still my bet is that after 10 laps of very hard driving either the tires or the brakes will give up. That's if the transmission doesn't overheat first Smiley

By the way: I only saw once on my Scuderia display: "drive slower" Smiley Something about the rear diff overheating Smiley What can I say? I LOVE the twisted mountain roads a little too much....

--

There is no try. Just do.

This is the condition of my GTR's brakes and tyres after only 4500km of street driving. My transmission was replaced - CR was there when it happened. 

--

www.youtube.com/watch

MKSGR:

The most interesting thing is that all these "GTR Fans" which were so numoerous when the first  rumours about the new Nissan spread over the Internet are now gone.

They aren't gone, Markus - they just moved to their own forum (not open to the public) sharing their "experiences" Smiley
    In 3 weeks from now there will be new vids GT-Porsches vs. GT-Rs from the Ring Smiley

At last season's finish (end of November) I had a nice little fight with a GT-R (maybe even the same like shown in the vid - at least it was also a red one). He gave up after 1.5 laps only (obviously a tech prob as he became very slowly on the straight towards Schwedenkreuz).

I'm very interested to see how the new 'Ring Raxi (GT-R) will take the torture....Had a chat with one of the drivers last Sunday. He was quite happy so far (o.k. the season has just started Smiley) but he complained that it's difficult to do a nice drift (lot of passengers like the taxi drivers to do that just for the fun of it) as there is a permanent change between understeer and oversteer at the limit.

@ Pentium: I know that the F430 may develop the rear diff overheating problem when driven hard, but I thought the Scud is a track car, no ? Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

william:

This is the condition of my GTR's brakes and tyres after only 4500km of street driving. My transmission was replaced - CR was there when it happened. 

thanks incredible william, they are cracked already and the tire's inside shoulder is gone Smiley

--

MKSGR:

I have no affiliation with Nissan or any of the owners but I´d say that the atmosphere back then was a bit... uh, hostile? Smiley

We should clearly separate the Nissan´s reliability from its performance. There are no doubts about the later but most of the debate was about the track performance. It is still as fast as the updated 997 Turbo, despite being heavier. I think we can accept this as a fact as I don´t want to revive this old thread.

As you and others said there comes a price with this outstanding performance which is its reliability. Not sure if Nissan will be able to solve all issues over time.

Ferdie:
    MKSGR:

I have no affiliation with Nissan or any of the owners but I´d say that the atmosphere back then was a bit... uh, hostile? Smiley

We should clearly separate the Nissan´s reliability from its performance. There are no doubts about the later but most of the debate was about the track performance. It is still as fast as the updated 997 Turbo, despite being heavier. I think we can accept this as a fact as I don´t want to revive this old thread.

As you and others said there comes a price with this outstanding performance which is its reliability. Not sure if Nissan will be able to solve all issues over time.

I understand what you are saying but the problem is that the track claims of the GT-R are not as they may seem on paper because it is proven the GT-R cannot maintain such performance over several laps, because of transmission problems, brake and tires problems, launch control, etc.

And since we are talking about a streetcar taken to the track buy regular owners, a one lap performance does not make much sense to a owner in an trackday if after a few laps he has to limp back to boxes with the tranny stuck in 6th gear due to overheating and the tires and brakes already shot for the day.

Not to mention the warranty voiding issues of track use with the GT-R and the steep repair costs of the GT-R (tranny = $20k) if anything should happen since you would be out of a warranty. So while the GT-R can indeed give many high end sportcars a run for their money on a one lap attack in a magazine test, in the realworld its useless for high-performance use.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    william:

thanks incredible william, they are cracked already and the tire's inside shoulder is gone Smiley

The weight of the GTR is the main contributing factor to the heavy tires and brakes wear. It also relies a lot on electronic and 4WD to gain traction instead of chassis and suspension tuning, which is very different than a Porsche in that sense. 

--

www.youtube.com/watch

If the GT-R would be completely reliable, which of course would probably ask for a higher price tag, it would be the hell of a car. 

Nissan needs to sort things out before the GT-R becomes a tiger on paper only.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (April 9th, 2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

those tires are seriously ruined....look more like 300k kilometeres thn 4.5k

and what's with the camber adjustment that the thred is eaten up so unevenly....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I think the tires are ruined from something else than normal street driving. Right, William ? 

--

I guess that day it was my fault Smiley

I blame the whole thing on improper road conditions Smiley combined with improper use of the car Smiley

What I mean: the traffic was horrible and I did too many 1st gear overtakes. The car didn't had the chance to cool down. I must tell you that after 20 hot laps of Hungaroring the car had zero problems. One hour later I did another run of 20. Still nothing. Great brakes. The surface though was a little too abrasive so ... the tires were half gone....

--

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

I blame the whole thing on improper road conditions Smiley combined with improper use of the car Smiley

Hahaha - great humor, Pentium SmileySmiley

Sounds plausible - so actually you went just too slow (no cooling from the wind). There we have it: driving slowly is dangerous (at least for our toys) Smiley

The Hungaro Ring experience sounds great Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:
    MKSGR:

They aren't gone, Markus - they just moved to their own forum (not open to the public) sharing their "experiences" Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

BTW, how do you like the N1 Cups? Smiley

MKSGR:

Well, with 8°C and a wet track it was more like an exercise to re-calibrate the butt-meter after the long winter rather than checking the stickiness of the rubber Smiley

I'll let you know once conditions allow to get some heat into the rubber. Two trackdays booked for 7th and 12th April - hopefully with some sun and dry track Smiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:
    MKSGR:

Well, with 8°C and a wet track it was more like an exercise to re-calibrate the butt-meter after the long winter rather than checking the stickiness of the rubber Smiley

I'll let you know once conditions allow to get some heat into the rubber. Two trackdays booked for 7th and 12th April - hopefully with some sun and dry track Smiley

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752935 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430608 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258546 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255432 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5254 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868204 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801742 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM