Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

918 Spyder- reality check

Ok, now that the fairy dust has settled I've started thinking a bit about the 918 Spyder.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that we were amazed by Porsche's surprise and still are- but exactly why?

Is it because they will probably build a new super car?

Is it because it's a new design direction albeit one that is heavily inspired by the Carrera Gt?

Or is it because of Porsche's bold statement: Faster than the almighty GT, 3l/100km.

For me it was the last statement. If they ever decide to build this car, this is what they have to live up to. 

So far however it's all show and no substance. I mean anyone can make the statement that they will build a car with this and that spec, it's a completely different story to actually do it.

Do they actually have a prototype that has been achieving these numbers? Probably not. 

Honestly, I would have been more impressed if they had actually showcased a car that would have achieved more modest numbers like 6l/100km but in real life. Now.

I mean let's get real, they've been trying to bring consumption down for a couple of years now- 3l Lupo for instance- and now all of a sudden Porsche decides to go eco and in 5 months comes up with a supercar that annihilates any "tree hugger" car out there? I'm skeptical.

3,xL/100km, faster than the CGT.

Anything less and this car will be deemed a failure.

Good luck Porsche, I hope you have some magic recipe!

Re: 918 Spyder- reality check

I think Porsche made the 3L/100km consumption claim for the car when in hybrid mode. (H on the selector attached to the steering wheel). H as in hybrid is the mode of choice in dense urban traffic or in areas where speed limits apply.

Spyderidol:

I think Porsche made the 3L/100km consumption claim for the car when in hybrid mode. (H on the selector attached to the steering wheel). H as in hybrid is the mode of choice in dense urban traffic or in areas where speed limits apply.

...and driving 80 km/h on the highway without any throttle change Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Yes, they did say to drive it "gently".

Why anyone would buy this car in order to drive it "gently" is beyond me, but such is the ridiculous world we live in.

Nick,

For me, I was surprised by the enormous marketing message that porsche has sent with this car: We're here, we want to innovate, and we want to be amongst the best car manufacturers of the world, and being under the wings of VW is not going to hold us back, on the contrary, it'll enable to do all the stuff that we haven't been able to do during the wiedeking era.

For the porschephiles this is very important. I think you've noticed it more than once; your sharp comments on porsche off lately were often met with pretty intense reactions. On one side that is because people do not agree with you, but on the other side, I think that you pointed out some weaknesses of porsche during the wiedeking era, that we porschephiles were aware of, but did not want to admit. (Porsche milking their loyal customers, diluting the brand image with monstrosities like the cayenne and the panamera, etc).

For these people, the above mentioned marketing message gives us hope that porsche will once more be one of the two best sports car manufacturers in the world, and that is why everybody was so thrilled.

-Joost-

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

And also, 918 is a technological masterpiece, because of the whole package of innovations. This 3/100 statement is more than clear, that is not main pros of this car.

What matters more is the symbiosis of outstanding design, best known materials, racing NA engine and high tech electric motors, which represent the future of motor sport and future of hyper cars!  

Include the fact, that if produced this car will most probably ‘go racing”, unlike CGT, and already this is dream come true for all Porsche fans and sport car lovers as a whole…

BTW, does anybody have an idea, what is next in 3 days, according to 918 Spyder web special?

No, but i hope its something ending in RSR!

I believe they are going to build the car. Dealers have been ask to put together a list of clients that have interest in the car. I am debating whether I want to be on the list since the price may be beyond what I am willing to pay for any car. 

--

nberry:

I believe they are going to build the car. Dealers have been ask to put together a list of clients that have interest in the car. I am debating whether I want to be on the list since the price may be beyond what I am willing to pay for any car. 

Nick,

IF build 918 will cost in Germany at least €450K.

For that money you can buy:

-458 Italia

-Cayenne S

-nice small apartment on Croatian Adriatic coast

KresoF1:
    nberry:

Nick,

IF build 918 will cost in Germany at least €450K.

For that money you can buy:

-458 Italia

-Cayenne S

-nice small apartment on Croatian Adriatic coast

If someone counts like that, it means that he cannot afford it Smiley

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Ok, you are implaying that I can not afford it. Hmm... You probably can... Or simply showing your lack of manners...

Please, post your report and impression after you get it.

My point was that any sportscar that is more expensive then €250K in Germany is waist of money in current economy.

I 100% agree with Kreso here.

Also what I noticed for myself is that I had much more fun with a daily driver like the 911 than with an occasional one like my Scuderia. Next time I will think twice before buying another "summer-only" car. Or perhaps I just need to keep a 911 always in my garage Smiley so it won't matter what else I own Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

KresoF1:

Ok, you are implaying that I can not afford it. Hmm... You probably can... Or simply showing your lack of manners...

Please, post your report and impression after you get it.

My point was that any sportscar that is more expensive then €250K in Germany is waist of money in current economy.

Sorry if I hurt you but you didn't get my point I'm afraid.

There is a well known saying that became famous with Rolls Royce many years ago that goes " if you ask about the price Sir, it means you cannot afford it". My point was a paraphrasing of that, nothing more. Smiley

But anyway cars in this price range are not for people who analyse matters so objectively and in cold figures.Others may have the money but tend to be more rational in their decisions.

--

Look, IMHO only car that is worth buying in 500ps and more class is 997.2 Turbo PDK or 997.2 Turbo S.

458 Italia is with similar options at least €35K more money in Germany then 997.2 Turbo S coupe. McLaren MP4-12C will cost the same money as 458 Italia.

Also, do you know what car impressed me the most lately besides 997.2 Turbo PDK?

Cayman S PDK. Fantastic drive, not too expensive, small. Decent design. My favourite in up to €100K class(German prices). I could live with it without any problem.

KresoF1:

Look, IMHO only car that is worth buying in 500ps and more class is 997.2 Turbo PDK or 997.2 Turbo S.

458 Italia is with similar options at least €35K more money in Germany then 997.2 Turbo S coupe. McLaren MP4-12C will cost the same money as 458 Italia.

Also, do you know what car impressed me the most lately besides 997.2 Turbo PDK?

Cayman S PDK. Fantastic drive, not too expensive, small. Decent design. My favourite in up to €100K class(German prices). I could live with it without any problem.

What you say makes a lot of sense. But in reality perception and image count a lot. A Turbo S no matter how able it is cannot match any  Ferrari for image. So some people's money goes on the high profile car.

Also, limited production cars like the Carrera GT and even the mediocre SLR are sought after by people who don't care about value for money but more about being in a small group of exclusive owners. Such people will also buy the 918, Aston One-77 and any limited production Ferrari.

--

Come on, guys... Cars like 918 are hype for most of us and reasons to love automobiles and their manifacturers as a whole, so let the prices aside and hope Porsche and others to continue with such products, because this is the only way to see part of this great technology in our ride lately...

Look where CGT prices are these days, not a bad depreciation for a car...

Spyderidol:

I'm sure. Drive it like it should be driven and see the real gas mileage. There is no free lunch.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S. Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

No Doubt!

Pentium:

Also what I noticed for myself is that I had much more fun with a daily driver like the 911 than with an occasional one like my Scuderia. Next time I will think twice before buying another "summer-only" car. Or perhaps I just need to keep a 911 always in my garage Smiley so it won't matter what else I own Smiley

I couldn't agree more. 

Money aside, affordability aside, at least for me , there is a tipping point where I don't care how good or different the car is, I will not see value in it. 

--

nberry:
    Pentium:

I couldn't agree more. 

Money aside, affordability aside, at least for me , there is a tipping point where I don't care how good or different the car is, I will not see value in it. 

That's the reason these 500.000+ Euro cars are only made in hundreds although there are thousands of people in the world who have the financial ability to afford them. IMO people who buy these cars have a different mentality though, that most of us cannot come to reason with.

If it wasn't for them these special "dream cars" wouldn't exist.

--

Good point! 

--

Boyko23:

BTW, does anybody have an idea, what is next in 3 days, according to 918 Spyder web special?

Hmm, it is in the intelligent performance section, together with the Cayenne, the GT3 R and the 918... Will be something with respect to hybrids as well? So that leaves us to boxster/Cayman, 911 or Panamera hybrid.
    Panamera hybrid was already announced I think? So that would be either boxster/cayman or 911...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM