Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix

easy_rider911:

Excellent post race analysis from BBC's Andrew Benson

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2010/03/impressive_alonso_throws_down.html 

IMHO this season is all about Alonso vs Vettel.

Massa, Hamilton, Button, Schumi, Rosberg, Webber are all playing catch up in a chasing group.

I didn't post any other post-race opinion of my own on the individual driver performances since the article above says exactly what I would have written Smiley

But I do feel like commenting on the entertainment value of the race as a whole Smiley

This was the first race in one of the most eagerly anticipated new seasons in F1's recent history. BUT other than Alonso ovetaking Massa at the start, the drama of Vettel's failed spark plug and the 2 McLaren drivers gaining 1 position each over the Mercedes drivers, this race was really boring in relation to the top 12 drivers.

All the action, overtaking, retirements, spins etc were happening in relation to the midfield and the new teams.

IMO the refuelling ban has been a disaster. It has eliminated the potential for devising intricate fuelling strategies for qualification and the race.

The tyres are lasting much too long. Bridgestone needs to supply tyres that degrade faster so that teams are forced to make more pit stops. I would love it if tyres lasted only 15 laps so that even 4-5 tyre changes might be needed in a race.

Anything that can eliminate predictability (and therefore boredom) can only be a good thing IMO Smiley

It was really revealing that Jenson Button in the post-race F1 Forum on the BBC said that he found the driving easy since he wasn't on the limit. He said it was all about conserving tyres and not letting the engine overheat and maintaining a sufficient gap to prevent the aerodynamics from being compromised. How dull! Smiley

James Allen's blog says much the same thing - plus he covers the UK press criticism of the dull race

www.jamesallenonf1.com/

Ecclestone resisting calls for rules changes to liven up the racing action

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82180

Webber shocked at lack of overtaking

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82185

www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsport/f1-is-boring-says-webber-20100316-qc1t.html

David Coulthard wants a mandatory minimum number of pit stops

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82186

Nick Fry wants action due to boring Bahrain race

www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6028305/Fry-F1-needs-to-react-to-Bahrain-bore

More comment from James Allen

www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx

Schumi fears processional races in 2010

www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Completely agree Easy. IMO the fueling ban only made it worse, ther was no all out racing to see who is fastest, there were all managing their tires, it was like watching a Tour de France. And no overtaking even on a track that has places for overtaking, imagine Monaco this year...

Only difference is that on top of it there was no race tacticts at least, as soon as one came in to change tires, everybody else did the same thing to avoid any disadvantage.

Everybody agrees that the main problem is the lack of overtaking, and everybody agrees that the main obstacle to overtaking in F1 is the huge aerodinamic loads they have, why don't they take real significant measures for reducing aerodinamic aids?

--

Very perceptive analysis from the BBC's Mark Hughes on how Button's and Hamilton's driving styles impacted their performances on the very bumpy and windy Bahrain circuit

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8569435.stm

"...... An instructive little moment unfolded in the final qualifying session, when the wind direction suddenly changed 90 degrees from how it had been in the previous session just a few minutes before.

Not knowing this, Button suddenly felt the car "go strange" through one of the corners of the middle sector. Assuming there was a technical problem with the car, he was somewhat cautious for the rest of the lap, braking early, taking less speed into the corners.

Hamilton, going through the same change of wind direction, felt nothing and charged on with the lap that netted him the fourth fastest time.

It's a reflection of how they each feel the car in very different ways, Button highly attuned to each nuance of its feedback, Hamilton simply dominating the car, much more reactive rather than anticipative.

They are traits suited to different circumstances. The reactive driver will have a wider operating range, will get more from the car over a wider range of handling traits and will be less sensitive to variations in the handling.

Assuming a similar level of basic talent, an anticipative driver - in this case, Button - will be better able to squeeze the ultimate from a well balanced car. ....."

Nick Fry of Mercedes however thinks a clear gap exists between Button and Hamilton

www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6028855/Fry-Clear-gap-between-Jense-Lewis

I think Fry is mistaken - IMO Mark Hughes is right - it's still too early to say where the definitive position is vis-a-vis these 2 drivers.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Carlos from Spain:

Everybody agrees that the main problem is the lack of overtaking

Later on in the season the new point scoring system will encourage more adventurous racing..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

I hope so, although its a double edged sword because if a driver (Alonso or Vettel) racks up continuous victories at the beginning of the season (like Button last season winning 6 out of the first 7 races), the new point system will make him practically champion halfway through, especially if the rest of the points are evenly divided between the remaining contenders (Hamilton, Shummy, Massa, Button) because they are more evenly matched this season. For the good of the show lets hope the victories are more evenly distributed at least at the beginning of the season, but personally I think this year is a two man show at the most.

--

Carlos from Spain:

I hope so, although its a double edged sword because if a driver (Alonso or Vettel) racks up continuous victories at the beginning of the season (like Button last season winning 6 out of the first 7 races), the new point system will make him practically champion halfway through, especially if the rest of the points are evenly divided between the remaining contenders (Hamilton, Shummy, Massa, Button) because they are more evenly matched this season. For the good of the show lets hope the victories are more evenly distributed at least at the beginning of the season, but personally I think this year is a two man show at the most.

We will SEE! Smiley

Button claims his confidence is intact after being outperformed by Hamilton

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82188

Personally, I don't believe that the race result could have had no effect - IMO although Button will still feel very self-confident, it is surely inevitable that this issue will be at the back of his mind (to say the very least) and that he will be re-doubling his efforts to try to silence his critics at the next race.

Having initially considered changing the rules for Shanghai, Bernie now thinks it's too difficult to change the 2010 F1 rules at all this season

www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6031913/Bernie-Too-Difficult-To-Make-Changes

IMO he is going to find the pressure mounts with each additional boring race to the point where he and FOTA have no choice.

Interesting blog from James Allen on which rule changes would encourage more overtaking & also Lotus's sponsorship by Petrobras (that should be announced imminently)

www.jamesallenonf1.com/

--

Here's a really brilliant analysis of the cars' and drivers' relative performance from the BBC's Ted Kravitz. It's a good read

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8572060.stm

--

So far, I'm finding the really perceptive analysis of bloggers/tweeters like James Allen and the BBC's Andrew Benson, Mark Hughes and Ted Kravitz is adding real inisight into what's really going on

--

Adding a real insight to the subject are your consecutive posts! Thanks for that...

You're welcome Ferdie 

Here's a link to a photo gallery of the parade of champions that took place at the Bahrain GP

www.itv-f1.com/photo.aspx

Nick Fry unworried about Schumi

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82197

--

Lauda thinks Schumi will be back on form by Malaysia

www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2010/3/10545.html

IMO interesting quotations:

On Vettel being caught by Alonso at Bahrain: "Up until his car troubles he had dominated the race very clearly. Nobody behind him had the slightest chance of catching up."

On Schumi's return to F1: "My guess is that in Kuala Lumpur he will have regained that ability to switch on for a fast lap that every permanent driver has to have."

Always interesting to read Niki Lauda's thoughts ...

--

Team mate comparisons

www.planetf1.com/race-features/6038891/Team-Mate-Wars-Bahrain

Renault's Boullier says tyres should be changed not pit stops

www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6039194/Boullier-Change-tyres-not-pit-stops 

Hamilton says Red Bull is ridiculously faster than other cars - should be further ahead

www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6044398/Hamilton-Red-Bull-Ridiculously-Fast

Webber says Rosberg will outshine Schumi - IMO he's just stirring

www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6044456/Webber-doesn-t-expect-Schu-to-beat-Rosberg

Button says give 2010 season more time before judging it

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82276

--

Hamilton states still, that the Red Bull has far more down force..Well he kept on saying stuff like that last season and also that in 2009 it was all about developing his car for 2010, what happened then..

Imo, I feel they use any excuse when they don't finish first, Hammie should not underestimate Vettel...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:

Imo, I feel they use any excuse when they don't finish first, Hammie should not underestimate Vettel...

Yes, too much talking in the McLaren camp.

Vettel and Red Bull have grown to be consistently competitive. No one would have thought that a few years ago, but they have improved race by race over the last years, and IMO earned a permanent place in the top teams. And they have the young, talented and hungry Vettel.

Their only weakness is reliability, if they can get that under control they will win a championship soon.

Lauda once said, it's much easier to make a quick car reliable than to make a reliable car quick.

Ron Dennis has cast doubts on Red Bull's claim that Sebastian Vettel suffered a spark-plug failure while leading the 2010 season opener in Bahrain last weekend. He eventually finished fourth after losing power in the later stages of the race.

Initially an exhaust problem was blamed but that was subsequently clarified by an official statement from the team.

But former McLaren boss Dennis was not convinced. "The lap times dropped so rapidly that one can imagine the electronic control unit (ECU) switching to a conservative programme to save fuel," he said.

"The problem with the Red Bull could be design. It could be the fuel tank is too small, or the fuel consumption is higher than they expected."

Ron Dennis's words (above) go in one ear and out the other, complete nonesense. Focus on your own team, you guy's do all the talking but it looks like you were all asleep all winter...

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Eunice:
    throt:

Vettel and Red Bull have grown to be consistently competitive. No one would have thought that a few years ago, but they have improved race by race over the last years, and IMO earned a permanent place in the top teams. And they have the young, talented and hungry Vettel.

Their only weakness is reliability, if they can get that under control they will win a championship soon.

Lauda once said, it's much easier to make a quick car reliable than to make a reliable car quick.

Lauda also said that it were better having a fast & nonreliable car, than a slow & reliable car. The reason : If you have reliability issues, you can work on them during the course of the races and eventually get them all sorted out. But if you have a slow car, it's much more difficult, if not impossible, to turn it into a fast car.

--

Gauss:
    Eunice:
    throt:

Lauda also said that it were better having a fast & nonreliable car, than a slow & reliable car. The reason : If you have reliability issues, you can work on them during the course of the races and eventually get them all sorted out. But if you have a slow car, it's much more difficult, if not impossible, to turn it into a fast car.

Red Bull has proven they can work on the car during the season, they were the first to close the gap to Brawn GP last year. So let's see how they do this year, I wish them that they don't fall behind too far. Vettel is quick but not flawless, so they need to get the car reliable soon.

Red Bull has another problem and that is Mark Webber.  He has always been, and still is IMO, a second rate driver who seldom delivers and seems to have an uncanny knack of 'attracting bad luck'...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

Red Bull has another problem and that is Mark Webber.  He has always been, and still is IMO, a second rate driver who seldom delivers and seems to have an uncanny knack of 'attracting bad luck'...

I'ld see it the other way around. Red Bull has luck with Vettel... They were a second rate team a few years ago, after all.

Webber isn't to bad, he is very experienced and may still add a lot to the team and to Vettels success.

I agree with John H

Red Bull has achieved great things in only 5 years (or so) in F1. But it took a really talented driver like Vettel to exploit the potential of the Red Bull package fully. Coulthard and Webber are nice guys - the kind we'd all love to have a drink & conversation with - but they just aren't in the same class as Alonso, Schumi, Vettel, Hamilton.

Webber has reached his peak and has now plateau'd IMO and I do not expect him to go up to the next level. His bad luck has been genuine on various occasions but sometimes he has simply been making excuses (blaming everyone and everything except himself).

At the end of the day, F1 teams expect drivers to deliver the required performance and eventually their patience runs out. I fear this season could prove decisive as to whether or not Webber remains in F1 in 2011.

--

Has anyone ask the deep question as to why is it that Vettel is quicker..Is it having the bollo**s to push just that little bit more??, reaction times, better driver line through the corners or everything...??.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:

Has anyone ask the deep question as to why is it that Vettel is quicker..Is it having the bollo**s to push just that little bit more??, reaction times, better driver line through the corners or everything...??.

Vettel is a very aggressive driver, he spends MUCH more time in the simulator than any other driver. He has the precision and concentration to max out every corner in a lap, and he is a wizard on the curb stones, flicking the car round corners like no one else.

Just look at his pole position on-board video from Bahrain and you'll know what I'm talking about. (Sadly this only seems to work in the UK:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8565898.stm)

Having said that, all of the above makes Vettel quick, but it's not enough to be a good driver. You also need experience to set up the car and work with the engineers. I think that is where Webber can bring value to the team.

Vettel's onboard lap can be seen in superb quality after a free registration with an email adress at  http://www.formula1.com/video/onboard.html

Barrichello thinks narrow tyres are making it difficult to overtake

www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx

Schumi denies Bahrain race was boring

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8584794.stm

Actually, the fans will decide whether or not we find a particular race boring, Schumi

He claims there has "always" been too little overtaking in F1 - not so IMO. I think this might be true only since the 1990s to the present. Before then, there was much more overtaking IMO.

Schumi says he's no magician

www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6053002/Schumacher-I-Am-Not-A-Magician

Barrichello thinks Schumi has more to lose than gain if his comeback is motivated by anything other than a love of F1

www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6052932/-Schumi-has-more-to-lose-than-gain-

--

easy_rider911:

He claims there has "always" been too little overtaking in F1 - not so IMO. I think this might be true only since the 1990s to the present. Before then, there was much more overtaking IMO.

Well, that is way before my time. I like F1 the way it is, it's a precision sport, not destruction derby Smiley

Barrichello thinks Schumi has more to lose than gain if his comeback is motivated by anything other than a love of F1

www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6052932/-Schumi-has-more-to-lose-than-gain-

Well I could think of more motivations, like returning a favor?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689583 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409237 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255745 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234995 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857992 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774045 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM