Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

to people with 3 kids / need help for family car

I have 3 boys,  aged 4,6 and 7.5  and I can't find the right car to buy as a family car.

What do you drive and how do you find it ?

At the moment I have a  7 seater ( Citroen C8 ) , same thing as Peugot 807, Renault Espace ,VW Sharan..

It' s a horrible car to drive, also bad quality, but it is very practical ( We can fit 7 persons + space luggage left , or 5 with bicycles in the back, it has sliding door that are very practical for my wife, and the car is not too big and fits in all our small parking spaces )

But I want to change it...but can't find anything Smiley

Touareg/ Cayenne don't have enough space in the back for 3 child seats  + no possibility for a friend to come along + quite big in town ( the latest is the smallest problem )

Mercedes class E  , Audi A6 Avant, BMW 5 series touring : also not 3 seats in the back. The middle one is uncomfortable on long distances + not sure I put 3 child seats in the back. The MB has a 3 rd in the trunk which is a good point.

New Sharan ?.... just a little bit better then the C8, but also horrible and I guess a real bore to drive.

Please, give me your input and experience. Thanks

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Re: to people with 3 kids / need help for family car

The one that comes to mind is the Honda FR-V wide rear seating for three child seast but not too big on the outside, practical and reliable...

--

What about X5?  R63?  Our family car is a X5M.  We love it!  Well it's really my wife's car, but I have to drive it on the weekends...

Audi Q7...X5....both available as 7-seaters (with the exception of the "M" because it is based on the X6). 

I would rather travel with less luggage than driving a Citroen C8, Renault Espace or VW Sharan. 

Also pretty roomy: Mercedes GL class, the Diesel top model is pretty powerful too.

Of course the Cayenne and the X5 M have enough room for three kids in the rear but you need to compromise on the luggage.

Another (attractive from a price/performance point of view): Range Rover Sport with the latest supercharged 510 HP engine. Costs less than most people think.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (on the ship), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

4 kids in the rear RC?

WAY:

4 kids in the rear RC?

Oops, I meant 3 kids of course. Sorry. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (on the ship), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

model S

Subaru Forester.

I would go with the executive vans from Mercedes of VW. Great luxury and all the space you need with kids...

--
    Off enjoying my car...

RC:

I would rather travel with less luggage than driving a Citroen C8, Renault Espace or VW Sharan.

What about that RS4 topic in the German forum? Smiley

The Mercedes E-class´ optional rear bench seems to be very, very uncomfortable. Should try it out if it is worth anything.

My initial response´d be BMW X5 or the facelifted LandRover Discovery. I also have a sweet spot for the Volkswagen Bus but not sure if it fits your needs.

This would be my choice, Discovery 4 now with the new 3.0 TDV6 diesel

UK_PV_L319_10MY_EXT_stationary_seaview_front3qtr-850x425.jpgUK_PV_L319_10MY_EXT_RHD_aerial_teddy_baby_seat_top-850x425.jpgUK_PV_L319_10MY_EXT_RHD_aerial_cut_seat_configuration_full_boot_top-850x425.jpg

Funny, been trying to buy a 2007 red LR3 for 4 months without success...

if you need to install 3 child seats, which is the case here, you can not fit it on one back bench. Hence all the suggestions are for families which no longer require child seats. And then one child always sits on the middle spot which is not really comfortable...

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Why not?

In my Q7, we can have one or two child seat in the third row, then two child seat in the center row  (middle and side) and still have access to the back ones by folding the seat. Of course you could not put huge seats in the second row, but so far it works.

My friend with three kids got either a RR or a 5 series touring...

i would say LR3 as well, they look really good with nice quality but not so much sporty. What about a MB GL? 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

How about one of these? Everyone gets their own Recaro.

Who says you've got to sacrifice power just because you need to transport the familySmiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St1l6QZZTnI&feature=related

--

Slow In, Fast Out

TEE:

if you need to install 3 child seats, which is the case here, you can not fit it on one back bench. Hence all the suggestions are for families which no longer require child seats. And then one child always sits on the middle spot which is not really comfortable...

I suppose at least ONE isn't a fully sized child seat anymore but a booster and this shouldn't be any problem with most SUVs out there on the market.

--

Thanks for the imputs !

The GL is way too big for our citys. So that one is out.

Same for the R63 + it is butt ugly Smiley

The Q7 also is too big.  A friend had the Cayenne, then got the Q7 and sold it after 4 month to get another cayenne. It was too limiting in our parking spaces ( they tend to make them smaller and smaller in order to keep big cars out of the city , at the same time cars get bigger and bigger  )

I am a bit worried about the X5, or Cayenne/Touareg.  As it has been said, the midddle seat is not a proper seat . So it is uncorfortable. My two youngest are is a proper child seat, the oldest is in a booster. Not sure all that fits in the back row ???

And I need space in the trunk ... just think when we go on skiing hollidays. I can not sacrifice boot space.

The VW camper or MB Vito are out of the question. I do not want a bus !!!!!

For the moment, the best seems to be the RR Discovery.....but I immagine it to be like an off road truck to drive, with horrible car dynamic    

My wife actually mentioned the Honda  with its 6 seats, as a friend of hers has one and loves it..... But, I would of liked something ' nicer' . We have already downgrated from the X5 to the C8..I'll like to go back to a nicer car Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

RC:
    TEE:

I suppose at least ONE isn't a fully sized child seat anymore but a booster and this shouldn't be any problem with most SUVs out there on the market.

Here I lack experience, but given that the oldest is 7.5 it may be only a booster seat. But if you have 3 "young" children each requiring a full seat it is difficult

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Gnil, why don't you just visit your local BMW/VW/Porsche dealer, take the child seats with you and just try it out. Most dealers should be willing to help you to make the right decision.

In my opinion, the new Touareg V8 Diesel is a very nice family car, 0-100 kph in 5.8 seconds, impressive for a Diesel.

The BMW X5 should also do the trick, the new 306 HP Diesel is a monster too.

--

TEE:
    RC:
    TEE:

Here I lack experience, but given that the oldest is 7.5 it may be only a booster seat. But if you have 3 "young" children each requiring a full seat it is difficult

Yes, the oldest is in a booster... but I am not convinced that it works with the seat belts. Maybe the seats fit, but then they can't do/undo their seat belts on their own, or even with helpt you get your hands stuck between the child seats... a real pain !!!

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

RC:

Gnil, why don't you just visit your local BMW/VW/Porsche dealer, take the child seats with you and just try it out. Most dealers should be willing to help you to make the right decision.

In my opinion, the new Touareg V8 Diesel is a very nice family car, 0-100 kph in 5.8 seconds, impressive for a Diesel.

The BMW X5 should also do the trick, the new 306 HP Diesel is a monster too.

I would like this conbination to work out. It would be the ' nicest ' solution . I would then either go for the Touareg or the Cayenne, maybe an X5 if the deal outperforms the fact that to me it is already a bit old looking.

Will have to go to the dealer to check it out with the seats

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I have 3 boys,  aged 4,6 and 7.5  and I can't find the right car to buy as a family car.

What do you drive and how do you find it ?

At the moment I have a  7 seater ( Citroen C8 ) , same thing as Peugot 807, Renault Espace ,VW Sharan..

It' s a horrible car to drive, also bad quality, but it is very practical ( We can fit 7 persons + space luggage left , or 5 with bicycles in the back, it has sliding door that are very practical for my wife, and the car is not too big and fits in all our small parking spaces )

But I want to change it...but can't find anything Smiley

Touareg/ Cayenne don't have enough space in the back for 3 child seats  + no possibility for a friend to come along + quite big in town ( the latest is the smallest problem )

Mercedes class E  , Audi A6 Avant, BMW 5 series touring : also not 3 seats in the back. The middle one is uncomfortable on long distances + not sure I put 3 child seats in the back. The MB has a 3 rd in the trunk which is a good point.

New Sharan ?.... just a little bit better then the C8, but also horrible and I guess a real bore to drive.

Please, give me your input and experience. Thanks

In your situation there can be only one answer: The new VW Multivan!

I sat extensively in it at the Geneva motorshow and its fantastic!  Too big for me though as i have only one kid (but who knows....)

Great finish, huge space and clever usage of it, great engine (a 180 hp diesel), 4 wheel drive (which is essential going skiing in Switzerland IMO) and also goodlooking!  Only downside: fully loaded it costs 90k SFR! (but starts at 50k with a 2xd 'familiy' package only available in Switzerland according to the salesguy.

The new Sharan looks like a real 'stupid' family van next to it (they were parked close). Personally I dislike the long front feel and reclined A pillars of the cars like Sharan.  It ptobably is a good car nonetheless, but screams 'housewife"! The multivan doesnt.

Smiley

--

turbolite

Smiley

esc.JPG

--
    Happy Driving

These escalade are ridiculously expensive for such a bad chassis...

SciFrog:

These escalade are ridiculously expensive for such a bad chassis...

My boy loves the Escalade, even more than the Cayenne. Don't know why but I think huge cars leave an impression on little kids. 

I actually love the Escalade too, the engine offers a pretty smooth ride. Prices in Germany are pretty interesting, usually around 55000 EUR, fully optioned and incl. 19% VAT.

For this kind of money, it is pretty difficult to find something similar on the market but resale value is almost ZERO, so if you buy such a car, you're pretty much stuck with it.

I agree, the chassis setup is pretty soft but the Escalades is just one of those SUV dinosaurs I still like.

Photo is from last year.

esc.jpg

Btw: this year, we're going to have a Mercedes GLK 350 as a rental. The Escalade was almost triple the rental cost, I just didn't want to pay that much money anymore.

--

turbolite:
    In your situation there can be only one answer: The new VW Multivan!

To be honest: before I find myself driving a VW Multivan, I'd rather kill myself.  Smiley

If don't kill myself, my wife would do the job for me. Smiley

--

RC, you should check the Infinity QX56 if you like the escalade...

I'm not too much into japanese cars. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689950 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409441 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255839 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235074 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65582 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858187 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774298 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM