Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Panamera 4dr Convertible - Maybe

Originally posted in Autoweek....

""A series of European and U.S. patent applications obtained by AutoWeek show that Porsche remains committed to building a four-door convertible version of its flagship Panamera, despite recent comments from Zuffenhausen insiders indicating the car had been canceled.

The new car, depicted in official drawings that accompany the latest Porsche patent applications filed in February, eschews the two-door route taken by all of its upmarket rivals for a practical four-door body. The layout, without a traditional B-pillar, has required substantial stiffening to the Panamera's floorpan and bulkheads to ensure sufficient structural rigidity and integrity.

The move to bring a four-door convertible to showrooms is a bold one that carries far higher development costs than a more conventional two-door open-top car. But with carmakers seeking to establish unique selling points for all of their models, it's one that could provide Porsche with a valuable sales advantage as it seeks to expand the Panamera line.

Although rumors have long hinted at an open-top version of the Panamera, it was thought Porsche had abandoned its original plans for a four-door in favor of a less-expensive two-door variant with a shortened wheelbase. However, with Porsche continuing to develop its patent applications for the four-door, it appears those original plans are now back on track at the behest of new parent company, Volkswagen. VW boss Martin Winterkorn is said to be a big supporter of the new car.

By retaining a four-door layout, the Panamera convertible can offer the same interior space as its sedan sibling, although the luggage capacity is likely to be compromised by space needs for the folded roof and associated hardware.

While the patent applications filed by Porsche don't specify the style of the roof for the Panamera convertible, the design of car's rear end suggests it will be a traditional fabric top.

The Panamera convertible retains the same basic dimensions as the hardtop sedan, but the windshield has been altered with greater rake and, as seen on one of the drawings from Porsche in-house designer Grant Larson, it also gains additional supports within the small quarter windows low down on the A-pillars.

While other carmakers, including Mercedes-Benz with its elegant S-class-based Ocean Drive concept car, have toyed with the notion of introducing a four-door convertible in recent years, the requirement for substantial stiffening and added weight has often proved a stumbling block.

However, advances in engineering through the development of high-strength steel and tailored blanks (sections of steel in varying thicknesses) has brought down development and production costs to a point where they are now being considered as part of new model plans by many companies."" - Autoweek.

http://www.autoweek.com/

Re: Panamera 4dr Convertible - Maybe

So assuming that this is technically achievable, does anyone see the appeal? I'm not sure that I get it but who am I to say

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Oh No!

Hmm, I think that sacrificing luggage space for the roof instead of sacrificing rear seat passenger space would be a wrong move...
    How often is it that you go touring with four people in one car?
    How often is it that you go touring, with two people and luggage?

I think I'd rather have full trunk space and less rear seat space.

Additionally... how big is the market for a 4-door convertible?
    I would have guessed they would take the development route as wfollows:

Panamera (4 door) -> 2-door convertible -> Panamera coupe (2-door)

Well, it'll be interesting to see what happens in the near future!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Who would need that?

A Porsche should have something "sporty" a long 4 door family limousine convertible has nothing to do with that!

If there is demand for such a car why not?

However, I doubt the potential popularity of a 4 door convertible limousine because if it was otherwise, Mercedes would have produced the Ocean Drive by now.

ocean_drive_concept_big_04.jpgOcean_Drive_Concept_4.jpg

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

I would prefer a beautiful Panamera Coupe, I may even be interested in such a car. 4-door Cab ? No way, thanks.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (on the ship), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

As Joost says the luggage space is going to be severely compromised. The Panamera already has a very high floor in the trunk giving a shallow area. A folding roof will only eat further into this.

The Maserati GranCabrio has the same issue as it was never designed to be a convertible at the outset. Here is it's woefully small trunk that has tiny fitted luggage in this pic to make it appear usable.

1268392363404Maserati 2.JPG

and Autocar

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/248140/

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

It`s dificult to understand... there will be a Panamera Coupé for sure and probably a 4-door cab OR the decision it`s just making one????

I would be very interested in a Panamera Coupe but it should look like this one:

pc1.jpg

pc2.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (on the ship), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I hope this isn`t true... I was especting for something also like that... a pure GT car...

What next??... a Cayenne Amarok Convertible????

Lars997:

Who would need that?

A Porsche should have something "sporty" a long 4 door family limousine convertible has nothing to do with that!

Look at it this way, the Panamera's rear hunchback would be cuff off this way Smiley

--

Unless they use very special materials, a car like this should have what, 2.500kg???

RC:

I would be very interested in a Panamera Coupe but it should look like this one:

pc1.jpg

pc2.jpg

Agreed Smiley 

I've said it before and I will say it again (because it is worth repeating): THIS IS A WINNER!

--

Slow In, Fast Out

This coupe renderings are the best Ive seen so far. A car like this I even could imagine as a convertible very successful. Just the price should be in the right region!

it seemed me that there were some pshop works and not real patent pics

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

You have no idea how much I hope that you are right!

Spyderidol:

You have no idea how much I hope that you are right!

look these pics,very strange to me...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/porsche-panamera/porsche-plans-panamera-cabrio/248140/pictures/porsche-plans-panamera-cabrio.a...

--

Those pics are definately just bad photoshops. The bodyline around the rear deck isn't even straight and the windscreen has been chopped off at the edge of the glass with no deader rail.

My guess is a the internet has done it again and someone's photoshop suggestion for how a Panamera convertible may look has been blown out of all proportion and become fact. Remember the same thing happened to "my" 458 price list which I posted on here to give a translation of the Dutch price list and my rough conversion from euros to £s. It was picked up by lots of sites and became a "leaked official document" according to a lot of lazy internet Auto magazine sites

ISUK:

Those pics are definately just bad photoshops. The bodyline around the rear deck isn't even straight and the windscreen has been chopped off at the edge of the glass with no deader rail.

My guess is a the internet has done it again and someone's photoshop suggestion for how a Panamera convertible may look has been blown out of all proportion and become fact. Remember the same thing happened to "my" 458 price list which I posted on here to give a translation of the Dutch price list and my rough conversion from euros to £s. It was picked up by lots of sites and became a "leaked official document" according to a lot of lazy internet Auto magazine sites

I thought the same.

Anyway,new info about by autocar

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Porsche-Panamera/248140/

--

Convertibles are essentially niche cars. If Porsche is so determined to reach the 150K car/year mark as soon as possible, why are they wasting their time on this? It's beyond me!

Convertible are not niche cars... Even less so with the new hard top folding roofs...

Most modern convertible cars were designed to be convertible all along, so the loss of rigidity and performance is small, even more so on powerful cars. And most people use 3/10 of the car on the road anyway...

I beg to differ - Have you got the sales stats?

The fact that they are niche cars has nothing to do with loss of rigidity or performance, but rather to do with climate.

Well overall convertible sales stat? Of course, most cars don't even come in convertible form. Look at 911 stats, in the US, convertible are almost half...

...in the US, but what about Europe?

If you have the US figures, I'd would be interested to see them.Smiley

Convertibles sell pretty well in Germany, surprisingly not so well in countries like Spain and Italy. 

--

I have just dug up some US sales figures (October 09)

Whilst convertibles make up about 40% of the sales in the 911 range (and only 38% in Boxster/Cayman range) they represent less than 20% of all Porsche's sold in the US.

I suspect a large portion of the convertibles are California sales.

They do not sell well in Africa either (not sure about ME) for obvious reasons.

Anyway, the point is if you want to gain unit sales quickly, convertible models (especially 4 door versions) don't seem like a very logical way to do this.

Regardless, convertibles are not a niche market...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755496 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431680 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255942 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79939 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5265 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868999 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803065 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM