Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 918 Spyder at Geneva... (Chris Harris)

Those are really fantastic (to be honest I prefer the plain silver model).

One small correction would be that this is no "LH", but rather a "K" model.

RC,

when you say "wait for the final product", what do you mean?

Does the final product will be completely different from this concept? Any additional info will be highly appreciated, plzzzzzzzz

Autocar: Porsche 'will build 918'

10 March 2010

Porsche boss Michael Macht says that staff in the firm are fully committed to building the 918 Spyder, the biggest shock - and hit - of the Geneva motor show.

Taken from drawing to show car in under five months, the 918 mixes a 500bhp petrol V8 with two electric motors for a combined 718bhp. Porsche has calculated that it could be quicker than the old Carrera GT around the Nordschleife.

Porsche has yet to commit to producing the car - but speaking to Autocar, Macht admitted that the positive reaction to the 918 had already swayed opinion within the firm.

"There is no one inside Porsche who doesn't want to build the 918," he said. "The response has been marvellous; we will ask buyers to sign letters of intent.

"The 918 Spyder provides the answer to whether there can be high-performance cars in the future," he added. "Many have said they are finished. This car shows they are not."

Insiders say the production 918 is likely to go on sale within five years. However, like all Porsches, it will need to make money, despite its 'halo' status within the firm's range.

Macht also denied that a hybrid version of the Cayenne would damage sales of the diesel variant, which made its world debut at Geneva. "The Cayenne hybrid will account for about 15 per cent of sales," he said, "and appeal to customers who use their cars mostly in urban areas. We believe the hybrid sales will be incremental, and the diesel will be better at rural and highway use, where people need its cruising economy and high gearing."

5 years

racerx:

5 years

I gives us time to save Smiley So, what stock is going to do 1000 % ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    racerx:

5 years

I gives us time to save Smiley So, what stock is going to do 1000 % ?

Please tell me, if you found out. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Here is a size comparison between the 918 vs CGT vs R8

r8_v_918_v_cgt.jpg

Here is a nice PS (from another site) of a RSR version of this car:918spyderconceptgulfliv.jpg

Spyderidol:

Here is a size comparison between the 918 vs CGT vs R8

r8_v_918_v_cgt.jpg

Hey!

You converted my car into right-hand-drive!

Like my Cincinnati Bearcat hat?

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow + 2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray +1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau +2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

Sorry - the photo was back to front (from another site)

Thanks Spyder

Now come on, what's the matter, where are the fronts, backs, and sides? 

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Going into the right direction:

65451.jpg

Guys - Check out this PS that I got from another site. This was done by a 13 year old!

4425546991_6f9c7b38d4_b.jpg

Spyderidol:

This was done by a 13 year old!

Might explain the Adidas sponsor then. Smiley

Nice PS. This car has a fantastic potential.

I know the car looks good as a racer but I doubt we will ever see an actual racing spec version. After all its the CGT successor and there was never a race spec version of the CGT.

just my opinion 

PinKchampagnE:
    Spyderidol:

This was done by a 13 year old!

Might explain the Adidas sponsor then. Smiley

Nice PS. This car has a fantastic potential.

To be fair to the original photoshop designer of that 918 Le Mans racer, the rear wing is likely based on the 2009 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, including the official sponsorship...

12685087218452010-Porsche-997-GT3-RS_RSR-Inspiration-02.jpg

12685087325032010-Porsche-997-GT3-RS_RSR-Inspiration-03.jpg

12685087416052010-Porsche-997-GT3-RS_RSR-Inspiration-04.jpg

...images from Porsche's official Estoril testing...

Smiley SmileySmiley

There are some mistakes (like the back- to- front American Flag and the wing being far too high) but the Lizard's livery is very well done.

He based this one on the GT3 Cup livery :

4425546943_d17beaee99_b.jpg

Enmanuel:

I know the car looks good as a racer but I doubt we will ever see an actual racing spec version. After all its the CGT successor and there was never a race spec version of the CGT.

just my opinion 

That is because the CGT came about because Porsche canceled their LMP2000 project (Thus the V10).

Also - The rules did not allow for the carbon chassis.

There are some things happening in GT2 (and its future) that Porsche is not too happy about (like spec engine management systems for all cars) and that Hartmut Kristen has suggested might compromise future GT2 activities.

If this happens, then Porsche might look at GT1.

This car will not be the basis of the future LMP, but the technology on the 918 will certainly be the basis for the future hybrid LMP (if it ever appears)

It seems that the 2011 Le Mans regulations are still work-in-progress, but the intial outline was as follows...

LeMans-Regulations_2011.jpg

...as provided by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Yes this has been around now for a while.

Some interesting things to note:

1. LMP1 engine: 3,4L V8 N/A engine is exactly the capacity and size of the RS Spyder engine ( and 918)
    2. As I posted before, the current Hybrid system on the 997 R will not be accepted by the ACO as all energy recovery from the brakes must be electric (no flywheels allowed....yet)
    3. Hybrid systems are to only be used to save fuel and not increase power.

I sincerely hope that these rules will change in the fullness of time.

I recently read an interview with Hartmut Kristen on the SportAuto website and, as you said, they have an eye on the LMP1 class... especially if the Hybrid technology homologation will be extensified. He also refered to the fact that they have to align their motorsport activities with the remaining brands in the Volkswagen group. So I do not see Audi and Porsche in the same class, not that it was ever brought up at all...

BTW, I remember someone asking where the view from the rear view cameras was displayed. I think I found it! ;-)918Display.jpg

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

...918Display2.jpg

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

...918Display2.jpg

Oh wow, that was me. Good eye Smiley

--

Slow In, Fast Out

That's the track selection page for the gran turismo game.   

--

www.youtube.com/watch

Ferdie:

I recently read an interview with Hartmut Kristen on the SportAuto website and, as you said, they have an eye on the LMP1 class... especially if the Hybrid technology homologation will be extensified. He also refered to the fact that they have to align their motorsport activities with the remaining brands in the Volkswagen group. So I do not see Audi and Porsche in the same class, not that it was ever brought up at all...

Thanks Ferdie!Smiley

Unfortunately I had to translate the article with google translator, and so it was a bit like reading a third language document written by a profoundly dyslexic journalist. However, I got the gist of it.

Interesting to note the confirmation of the aligning of the motorsport program to the rest of the VAG. Not at all unexpected, but .......quite unfortunate IMO. What this means to me is that as long as the regulations favor diesels, we will continue to see Audi in LMP (an no Porsche). Only if the hybrid rules are "clarified" and thus allow competition for the diesels, will we see a future Porsche LMP program (and if financial conditions allow),

From a personal point of view (and I know here we disagree) I'm quite sad to see Porsche harping on about CO2 at every opportunity, I understand their need to "modify" their image (especially in Germany), but its still very sad to see so much lip-service to a rather "disputed" science. Anyway, if that is what it takes to keep Porsche afloat, then so be it.

Spyderidol:

Unfortunately I had to translate the article with google translator, and so it was a bit like reading a third language document written by a profoundly dyslexic journalist. However, I got the gist of it.

You´re welcome. I hoped you´d understand the most of it via Google translator. Smiley

Regarding Porsche´s motorsport strategy, they seem to see the need to differentiate themselves from other competitors. The hybrid technology seems to be one opportunity since Audi and Peugeot already cover the segment of "alternative" fuels. Let´s face it, both of us only want to see Porsche in racing when they can be successful. The impact the LMP2 Spyder had against the faster LMP1 cars in various races certainly contributed in a positive way but I´d be curious to hear whether partners such as Penske have been (financially) happy with the project. Maybe you know more about it.

I prefer any Porsche to participate in racing, not just those hybrid models but I sense that there could, finally be a significant technology transfer from racing to serial production as it hasn´t been the case for a long time in motor racing. The 918 Spyder´s success in Geneva shows that people are very open for such a concept and, in my personal opinion, a mild hybrid system has strong advantages in a sportscar.

Thanks Spyderidol....I could see Long and Bergmeister moving up to this car for Lemans next year. Smiley 

--
    2006 987S, Artic Silver, Cocoa, Cocoa Top 2006 Cayenne S Lapis Blue New York

Ferdie: Regarding Porsche´s motorsport strategy, they seem to see the need to differentiate themselves from other competitors. The hybrid technology seems to be one opportunity since Audi and Peugeot already cover the segment of "alternative" fuels.

Yes, Porsche is not really hugely motivated to spend millions on a diesel racing program as the core of their product base is not diesel driven, and to be honest, even if they did want to go down that route, VAG would never allow it (not in LMP1 and especially not at Le Mans.

It's clear that Porsche feels that the only way that they can eventually become competitive (given the current rules) is through the Hybrid route.

The ACO keeps making small air restrictor adjustments to the diesels, but the diesel engine is not particularly sensitive to air restrictions. The future rules foresee reduction in their (the diesels) engine capacity , but it will remain much larger than the petrol engine capacity.

There is a huge torque advantage in the diesel regulations, and I think that Porsche sees that the Hybrid solution (if the rules are altered to allow the usage of hybrid technology for power gain) is a perfect way to neutralize that advantage.

Let´s face it, both of us only want to see Porsche in racing when they can be successful. The impact the LMP2 Spyder had against the faster LMP1 cars in various races certainly contributed in a positive way but I´d be curious to hear whether partners such as Penske have been (financially) happy with the project. Maybe you know more about it.

It is often said that Penske does not race using his own monies. From what I have heard and read, the Penske deal was a good one for Penske.

However, the other "customer" (in the ALMS) was not so enamored with the deal (or so it goes on the grape vine). I know little of the other LMS teams.

I think the main problem was that the ACO kept on ruling against the RS Spyder  (instead of doing the opposite and bringing the two classes together they chose to insist on castrating the LMP2 cars ) and this eventually lead to increased costs of the RS spyder program in order to remain competitive. (and we all know Porsche is not cheap).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689871 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409397 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255814 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235051 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65570 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858149 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774247 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM