Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My Geneva Autosalon Impressions from today

Hi Guys,

here are just some quick thoughts after spending a day at the show:

Clearly the ecological theme is BIG! Every car producer (particularly Audi and BMW) stress the efficiency of either their fleet or they have at least one super frugal showcar. Still lots of performance cars around luckily...

Porsche: Wonderbar made a wonderbar synopsis so I wont repeat. The new Cayenne looks better in the flesh than on pictures and certainly much better than the old one. It looks and feels more like a car than a truck. The interior is curvy and stylish (I like the silver Panamera accents), it offer good space, while the exterior is also much more Porsche than the old one. Unfortunately the car still suffers from too small wheels, so dont even think to order one with anything else than 20". The much disputed back is not bad in real life, but it looks a bit japanese, no question about that (could be an Infiniti or similar). But I guess this is world design and won't deter from its success. 

The 918 is splendid! Yes there are some weird details like the wheel covers but the proportions of the car are perfect! It's smaller than the CGT but certainly not a Lotus! If this car will be produced with the actual design it will be a huge hit!

Volkswagen: Nicest surprise here is the Touareg. It is really good looking and differentiates itself nicely from the Cayenne insofar as it has mostly straight lines versus curvy lines - inside and out. A very clean design. I guess it boils down to taste, but I will consider it as a valid and cheaper alternative to the Cayenne. The back of the Touareg and the way the exhaust pipes are intergrated is really nice and elegant. Every potential buyer of the Cayenne should go to the VW dealer first to check this car out!

Audi: The exposed RS5 was not of my taste: red and chrome wheels, but in a nice colour it will be elegant as usual. Everything has been said on this car, it feels the same inside as my old S5 (ie good), but the next value added comments here will only come from people who drove it. For sure there was not the big queue of people trying to sit in this car as you would expect. That's unlike the RS6 where all kind of people wanted to get inside. Which I understand as it is the most fascinating car Audi is producing IMO (though an ecological disaster!). R8 convertible is nice, but I prefer the coupe. Audi A8: nice, but not as nice as the BMW 7 series IMO. 

BMW: 5series very nice in the flesh, inside and out! looks sporty and modern without exaggerating, this car will be a hit! Certainly that shape is a fantastic base for the new M5!

Mini: the new Countryman feels strange: somehow like a blown up Mini, it doesnt have the gokart feel and does not really have much space. I's rather buy a Golf...

Jaguar: the new XJ is an interesting car. Elegant and big. I dont like the shiny radiator grill and the many shiny interior parts, but I' sure it will find its lovers. For sure it has nothing to do anymore with its predecessor...

Mercedes: SLS in white was stunning! Such a nice car: I'm not a Mercedes fan but htis looks so nice and fresh compared eg to aPorsche that it must become a success! Space inside is good. It's cosy (I'm 1.87 tall), but not tight and beautifully made. Compliments Mercedes!

Aston Martin: same old, same old, the Rapide is beautiful but somehow just another iteration of the DB9 and the back seats are ridiculous compared to the Panamera. BTW Sportec had a Panamera turbo on ots stand with 22" rims, it looked fantastic! finally...

Exotic cars:  Apollo great as ever, the new ApolloS has steering wheel shifting patterns, 800PS, 900Nm and 1400kg. CRAZY....

Zagato Perana was the most beautiful car on the show, perfect melt between the 60's and modern design! I doubt it will ever make it to production, but it would deserve the 8C underpinnings and a price tag of 150k. 

This were my highlight, hope it helps. I didnt spend much time at Ferrrari, Maserati etc cause there wasnt really anything new. It was the first time I saw the 458 in the flesh and it didnt blow me off the feet. 599 is so much nicer...

If you have any questions on other cars, please feel free to ask, Smiley

turbolite

--

turbolite

Re: My Geneva Autosalon Impressions from today

Great write up - thanks for your impressions! Good to hear "real live" feelings

Thanks turbolite for the summary

--

Thanks for the writeup.  If the Cayenne is nice in real life as many here has mention, maybe there is room in the future for one yet in our garage.  Maybe swap the X5M for it in a year or two.  Will judge myself when I see it in person.

I have a question about a simple car - was the Polo GTI there?  If it was, what did you think?  I love the pics VW released a few weeks ago and I want one as my city car!

Excellent choice, it was there and looked very nice! In a way it's closer to the first GTI's than the actual Golf who has grown in size a lot...Smiley  should be perfect for the city....

--

turbolite

Great writeup!  really clear,reading it,it seems to be there

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

I forgot to mention one beautiful car. The Touring Bentley Flying Star, as they call this shooting brake version. Really nicely designed, apparently it is built with Bentley approval, can be ordered for 600k and is sold through the Bentley network.

The official presentation will be at Bentley Milano on the 18th, in case anybody from that area is interested, I will probably go have a look...

--

turbolite

Thanks for the summary, very interesting. 

Regarding the Cayenne "alternative", the VW Touareg (note to our US users: VW has a much better reputation in Germany than in the US, just for the book). The Touareg V8 Diesel is surely the most interesting product in the Cayenne/Touareg mix. I would definitely look closer at the Touareg V8 Diesel if I were shopping for a new family truck. The design is almost too conservative for my taste but this could be a good think for certain markets where public perception of SUVs isn't always positive.

The new BMW 5 series will surely be a hit, no doubt about it. If the quality is right too, BMW will find many customers.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (on the ship), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

The Touareg is a very common car here, along with X5, ML/GL, Q5/7. Heck, the Cayenne is too! A dark color diesel Touareg has as much appeal as a Golf TD in europe...

I've been to the US a couple of times last year but I've never seen a VW Touareg. Maybe Florida isn't quite the market for Volkswagen. 

Btw: I'm going to drive a Mercedes GLK 350 on my next Florida trip. Actually I would have preferred a Cadillac Escalade but the price for the GLK 350 was so much cheaper, I couldn't resist. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (on the ship), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

JUst back from Geneva-short report(no pics for a while...).

ALFA ROMEO

New Gulietta looks nice and specs are good. Alfa claims it drives better then all cars in its class. Prices are at good level. First Alfa car with optional DCT-new six speed with dry clutches.

AUDI

RS5 is indeed excellent looking car. It is the last new Audi with high reving V8. Go figure...

A1 is nice small car. Many poeple like it a lot.

A8 is far better looking in person then in pictures. Hybrid concept is interesting.

R8 Spyder looks good. Ipanema Brown is strange color(BTW, RS6+ Avant was in same color).

BMW

5 series-good looking. IMHO something looks wrong on this car. After looking to it for over 15mins from all different angles I my opinion did not changed-something is akward... Otherwise almost an excellent buy since prices are right.

FERRARI

458 Italia is amazing sportscar. I liked Grigio Silverstone example on Pininfarina stand much better then Rosso Corsa one on Ferrari stand. Someone at Ferrari likes Beige/Brown interiors at lot lately... California with optional sportseats is not bad -just I would choose standard seats for this car.

BTW, choice of exterior/interior combinations on Ferrari stand was strange IMHO-to not use even stronger word.

JAGUAR

XKR in Speed and Black edition in White looked just right. Jaguar is trying hard to invite more sporty costumers.

LAMBORGHINI

Gallardo LP570-4 aggressive as possible in Verde Ithaka. Pricewise pretty expensive. Rather wait for Audi R8 GT till autumn...

PORSCHE

918 HMM.... How to say this? In comparison with 458 is looks unfinished and not original at all in its design. Size wise it is about the same size as current R8(BTW, 2650mm wheelbase is the SAME as on R8). With almost 4450mm lenght little bit longer.. Overall I could not belive that 918 is tiny caras Chris Harris claimed. It is definitely not. Technically, it is a true flagship. If Porsche wants to bring it to the market for the price that I hear... In that case crisis is over for sure...

Cayenne Better then the old one. Read further for comment about new Touareg. If you want new Cayenne only Turbo is a go for me.

997.2 Turbo S New Eisblaumetallic is definitely nice color. Is Turbo S worth an extra over standard Turbo? ONLY if you really need 530ps and really love PCCBs. Otherwise, stick with standard Turbo PDK as I will.

VW

Touareg A winner IMHO. V6 TDI and V8 TDI are both excellent choice. Nice, understated design that will age nicelly and slowly. Right design for current political/economical state of mind. Who needs new Cayenne then? Die hard Porsche fans. Petrol engines fans. Those with REAL need for 500ps SUV...

Polo GTI best looking Polo so far. Hopefully, it will drive more sporty then similar Seat Ibiza Cupra.

That's it for now. If you have any specific question-just ask.

Great write-up Kreso, thanks!

--

KresoF1:

PORSCHE

918 HMM.... How to say this? In comparison with 458 is looks unfinished and not original at all in its design. Size wise it is about the same size as current R8(BTW, 2650mm wheelbase is the SAME as on R8). With almost 4450mm lenght little bit longer.. Overall I could not belive that 918 is tiny caras Chris Harris claimed. It is definitely not. Technically, it is a true flagship. If Porsche wants to bring it to the market for the price that I hear... In that case crisis is over for sure...

That's it for now. If you have any specific question-just ask.

What price did you hear for the 918 Spyder? Smiley

PS, concerning the Turbo S:
    I'd say nobody really needs the additional 30 hp. As well as you don't really need the PCCB, since the standard steel brakes are that good. But the Turbo is a car, that deserves such brakes. So if you decide that you want PCCB, there's no alternative to a Turbo S. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Kreso, A1 looks better in real life? Any idea when S1 will be here? It's either going to be a Polo GTI or S1 for my next city car.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774480 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440134 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261961 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260237 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84794 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879228 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814003 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM