Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 918 Spyder at Geneva... (Chris Harris)

nberry:

Correction, the 918 lapse the Ring in 7.30 sec only in computer simulation.

Carlos, you get my point. Porsche needs to get away from the frog design and enter into the 21st century. Resting on "timeless" styling is a recipe for being old before your time.

So back to my question which would you buy and assume the 918 is called just that 918 and you had a choice between the 911 or the new Porsche 918? I think I know the answer.SmileySmiley

Just because you want to get away from the frog design doesn't mean Porsche needs to, as long as the customers like me don't want to, they don't need to, and given their increasing  sucess they are having with each generation going strong after more than 40 years with that recepy, it looks like there is more of me's that you's. We are the 911, not you. You don't like the 911, look somewhere else.

As to the 918, you can't compare this 918 with a 911 anymore that you could compare a CarreraGT with a 911 in its time. But if there is a 911 and an equally powered-perf, equally priced, mid-engined two-seater 918 next to each other on the showroom floor, I know you would pick whichever is the "flashier" one, but without a doubt I would drive off with the 911.

--

nberry:

So back to my question which would you buy and assume the 918 is called just that 918 and you had a choice between the 911 or the new Porsche 918? I think I know the answer.SmileySmiley 

918 for you, 911 for me.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S. Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

Carlos from Spain:
    We are the 911, not you.

SmileySmiley By coincidence I had a little party with a good friend tonight. He owns a fantastic 964 RS 3.8 (and he knows how to drive it on the track) and he just picked up a Slate Grey 997 GT3 MKI Clubsport with all the goodies and just 5 tkm on the clock in pristine condition - most beautiful GT3 I've ever seen Smiley These cars still give me the goosebumps and that's what counts for me.

As for the 918 Spyder: it's a Supercar - why compare it with a 911 ? Who would compare the Enzo with a F430 ?

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Gentlemen, I know you believe what you write but I don't believe you would do as you believe.

--

Nick, I think you are being snobbish about the 911. Unlike Ferrari, the Porsche 911 has enduring utilitarian value. I suspect that fact is not to your liking.

It is not Rennteams fault that there are so many 911's in California. If seeing them on a daily basis devalues the brand in your mind, I suggest you relocate from San Diego to Laramie Wyoming, Cairo Illinois or Fort Smith Arkansas. Either that or consider  legal action against the California DMV for allowing so many of them to be on the road there..

Spyderidol:

Side-note: I have had a look around other Porsche forums, and only Rennteam seems to be really interested in this car. The discussion on the other forums is quite limited and very subdued. Very strange!!

That's because most  of the chatter on other Porsche forums revolve around two questions :

1) Which aftermarket rims should I buy ?

2) Which aftermarket exhaust should I buy ?

Smiley

Re: Porsche surprise in Geneva - concept of CGT succesor ?

racerx:

Joost:
    Please this is anything BUT PORSCHE as we have known it under WW for the last 15-20 years. All I have heard here has been every model has to have 911 DNA to be a porsche, while all along I called for the building of models that would use their rich history when the 911 was only 1 of the models.

This car is awesome AND HAS NO, NONE, NADA, ZERO 911 DNA design cues. So if you like this car and you were in the vast majority always harping about 911 dna, then you have abandoned that.

This is a great event for Porsche to break away from the 911 look ruling the line and severely limiting the line-up.

What's new about this iconic shape for Porsche ? It's channeling 90% of the Carrera GT exterior and interior , which channeled the Boxster ( same designer ,  American Grant Larson ) which channeled the 550 Spyder of 56 years ago. I expected something MUCH  more radical a decade after the C-GT. The 918 design disappoints me as I see mostly  a C-GT with added swoops , gills and the rear end of the Audi R8.

The Boxster and C-GT were developed under WW's watch as well as the unfortunate Cayenne and Panamera , the latter with it's bulbous roofline for the chauffeured crowd in China .

The other iconic shape is of course the 911 , which traces it's lines to the Beetle ... which begat the 60 plus year old shape of the Gmund coupe....which begat the 356.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

2010 Porsche 918 Spyder inspiration...

...the Porsche 917 was a truly awesome racing car!

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

Thank you. The 917 engine starting video put a huge smile on my face... I swear i could smell the fumes in my office Smiley

--

Slow In, Fast Out

racerx:
    ed_moree:

I have just arrived from Geneva Motorshow and I have to tell you that the 918 is a BLAST!!!!!! It is very very Porsche in real life, very compact, maybe even smaller than the Carrera GT was. Until you don't see the car for real you can't really apreciate it. The sides are very 3D and the car has a Porsche feelnig that the it can't be any other thing than a Porsche.

Joost:
    Wonderbar:

I was at the introduction this morning in Geneva. 

...The car in one fabulous statement, and says Porsche and its spirit is not only intact, but damned determined to lead as the most serious, best engineered, and most advanced racing based sports car manufacturer.  This car says so much about Porsche pride--and VW loose rein--that it simply cannot be overstated. 

I could not agree with you more... in my opinion, even more than a fabulous looking concept car, this thing is a marketing statement:

4. Being under the reign of VW group does not turn the 911 in a beetle

At least, that is how I interpret it, and the power with which they are conveying this message makes me think they're pretty determined to stay a top of the line sportscar manufacturer... Smiley

Please this is anything BUT PORSCHE as we have known it under WW for the last 15-20 years. All I have heard here has been every model has to have 911 DNA to be a porsche, while all along I called for the building of models that would use their rich history when the 911 was only 1 of the models.

I called for this model almost exactly see page 3, I have wanted the 1950's california spyder shape used along with the 917. But i was told so many times that it had to have 911 dna.

This car is awesome AND HAS NO, NONE, NADA, ZERO 911 DNA design cues. So if you like this car and you were in the vast majority always harping about 911 dna, then you have abandoned that.

This is a great event for Porsche to break away from the 911 look ruling the line and severely limiting the line-up.

NEXT should be an equally great GT with some elements from the 928 design. This 918, nice number btw, should be sold if they make an operating profit in the same range as the 458 and be an ongoing model to bring traffic into Porsche store and to kill the ferrari effect.

If you read closely I said Porsche DNA not 911 DNA, then as Porsche says this car is inspird by the 917 race legend not tha 911, so I don't see the problem?!?!?!

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

FFaust:

Thank you. The 917 engine starting video put a huge smile on my face... I swear i could smell the fumes in my office Smiley

EVO AT GENEVA SHOW. PORSCHE 918 SPYDER. OMG

Porsche-918-Spyder_Interior.jpg

(2 March 2010)

"The text came in late last night. I was having dinner with Jaguar's Ian Callum (oo, get me) in Geneva and the phone bleeped. It was from Harry Metcalfe, who was at a VW event in which Porsche sprung the surprise.

BLEEP! 'New Porsche hybrid supercar. 218bhp electric hybrid power. Mid-engined V8. 500bhp. 9,200rpm. PDK. 7min 30sec at the 'ring'

OMG.

How Porsche kept the 918 Spyder a secret is anyone's guess. A genuine shock is rare these days; bloggers bust embargoes and brochure shots of new cars leak out every week. That the Porsche 918 Spyder is utterly mind-bending, both in terms of looks and performance makes it even more astonishing. How did they keep the tech secret? Why didn't anyone see shots of the car testing on a race track (which it has, already)?

Tellingly, there were crestfallen expressions on the faces of some executives from rival sports car companies. The 918 made the other sports cars at the show look a bit silly. Even the Ferrari 599 hybrid - itself a deeply impressive piece of kit, could not match the 918 for sheer completeness.

The Spyder is not just the star of the show - it's the burning supernova."

- Nick Trott

Editor, Evo

Porsche-918-Spyder_Evo-blog

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    FFaust:

Then you should have watched it when I posted it last year

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20130879/Re_The_Terminator_and_his_cars/page1.html#p20130879

or the derek bell 917 drive video

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20092790/history_to_know/page1.html

or some real old history, but Porsche history nonetheless

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20092790/history_to_know/page1.html

ed_moree:
    racerx:
    ed_moree:

I have just arrived from Geneva Motorshow and I have to tell you that the 918 is a BLAST!!!!!! It is very very Porsche in real life, very compact, maybe even smaller than the Carrera GT was. Until you don't see the car for real you can't really apreciate it. The sides are very 3D and the car has a Porsche feelnig that the it can't be any other thing than a Porsche.

Joost:
    Wonderbar:

I was at the introduction this morning in Geneva. 

...The car in one fabulous statement, and says Porsche and its spirit is not only intact, but damned determined to lead as the most serious, best engineered, and most advanced racing based sports car manufacturer.  This car says so much about Porsche pride--and VW loose rein--that it simply cannot be overstated. 

I could not agree with you more... in my opinion, even more than a fabulous looking concept car, this thing is a marketing statement:

4. Being under the reign of VW group does not turn the 911 in a beetle

At least, that is how I interpret it, and the power with which they are conveying this message makes me think they're pretty determined to stay a top of the line sportscar manufacturer... Smiley

I called for this model almost exactly see page 3, I have wanted the 1950's california spyder shape used along with the 917. But i was told so many times that it had to have 911 dna.

NEXT should be an equally great GT with some elements from the 928 design. This 918, nice number btw, should be sold if they make an operating profit in the same range as the 458 and be an ongoing model to bring traffic into Porsche store and to kill the ferrari effect.

If you read closely I said Porsche DNA not 911 DNA, then as Porsche says this car is inspird by the 917 race legend not tha 911, so I don't see the problem?!?!?!

And if you should have read closely these last few years while I posted about my 928, about the 917, about the Porsche/auto Union cars, the TAG TURBO, the 956/962, and the rest of Porsche History only to get into arguments with the majority here who only see a 911 as the embodiment of Porsche dna.

Saying all cars produced had to have a 911 look, Hell you can't tell a 996 apart from a boxster when they approach you on the road.

Nope!, maybe not you Ed, I can't recall but so many here just play the WW party line of 911 is Porsche BS. Like I said in the past the 928 made Porsche a modern true sports car manf. and cars like the 917 and F1 Tag turbo made it a racing legend.

I just hope that the trend continues and we see more rich design with NO 911 dna. 3 cheers for VW, so far.

And this is the closest thing to what we see in the 918 and the 917 shares it

Bottom line Porsche has a VERY rich history with phenomenal designs both in the body and the engines that should be used in everyday models, not just in one-off supercars.

And if Piech wants to make the 150,000 units a year they need to exploit all these great designs and next should be a new 928 to rival the 599 and DBS's.

911 is a great car but it is NOT Porsche. Porsche is much more and the 911 is 1 part of it.

racerx:

911 is a great car but it is NOT Porsche. Porsche is much more and the 911 is 1 part of it.

a 911 is a Porsche but a Porsche is not always a 911, that is what you tried to say Smiley

--

racerx:

And this is the closest thing to what we see in the 918 and the 917 shares it

As I posted before, this is not a 917. This is a 1968 - 907:

I did not say it was a 917 (above)

I SAID the 917 SHARES it, meaning the shape, the 917 shares the shape

And talk about great shapes that Porsche should exploit

how about this

I have had a real nice shot of this at sunset from the back during a race on my comp. for years but I can't find it right now.

It is "jumping out" a great thread!!!

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

racerx:

I did not say it was a 917 (above)

I SAID the 917 SHARES it, meaning the shape, the 917 shares the shape

I'm sorry, but as you posted the picture of a 907, I thought it was reasonable to assume that you were illustrating your point.Smiley

Porsche DNA - beautiful organic curves on the 906, 917 and this 910

PORSCHE_910_post.jpg

907-8

Porsche-at-Targa-Florio-1968-Porsche-907-8-1280x960.jpg

racerx:

From Jan 2009 as an example

racerx:

Some cool things they are showing;

And this, what looks to be a 917 or 962, which should be the basis for an ultra top end street model powered by some 700 hp engine. They have made so much money on stocks etc. they should put some of that to work with new models that are desirable instead of what they just came out with. ;

auto-show-photos 4.jpeg

from that to this

Not to knock Racerx, but I too shared your thinking Spyderidol. In the above post he mentions "what looks like a 917 or 962."

Smiley

I have been lingering around here because I found the exchange between everyone to be very interesting.  I was completely dumbfounded upon seeing the 918. I'm among those who found it very hard to be as passionate about Porsche when it seemed that they were just resting on their laurels. Bravo for proving me to be uterlly wrong and for renewing my faith.

Smiley

The thought of them returning in 2012 to race has me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.

Got to keep up with the conversation 917962.

He had previously corrected me pages ago and was mistaken just above.

And did you happen to notice the post you just quoted was originally posted by me over 1 YEAR AGO where I said Porsche should produce this shape for the street with 700 hp!

so instead of a slight knock how about saying a good call on that.Smiley

Like I said, I wasn't knocking you only mentioning where I thought the confusion started. When I read the above it struck me as odd considering your knowledge of Porsche.

No offense meant.  Smiley

An extra portion of classic Porsche motorsport inspiration...

Porsche-906_01.jpg

Porsche-906_02.jpg

Porsche-906_03.jpg

Porsche-906_04.jpg

Porsche-906_05.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

The 906 is one of my favorites! 

Pic1660.jpgPic1776.jpgPic1397.jpg

Great shots of great shapes ^^  which should be used in street models and as the 918 shows it is very possible. I was told in the past here that using those shapes would be impractical, impossible blah, blah , blah

All I have read on any message board all over the web is 98% positive about this new model with incredible excitement. Porsche may regain their dominance if they continue this way, but these designs need to be everyday models in the line-up

porsche-904-gts-targa-florio-1024x768.jpg

porsche-904 nice.jpg

and here is the pic I remember just a nice shot

porsche-904.jpg

An immaculate, fully restored 904 leaving Porsche Classic department in Stuttgart. I was lucky to take this picture on one of my visits.

FACTORY TOUR 051.jpg

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Le Porsche 918 Spyder en direct du salon de Genève 2010...

...dans la définition maximum!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764805 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436815 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261180 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258081 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82707 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877140 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM