Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche surprise in Geneva - concept of CGT succesor ?

easy_rider911:
    Gauss:

PS with normal wheels :

One of the most beautiful cars I have seen in a very, very long time Smiley I wonder what kind of price it will cost if they do indeed sell it in August 2010 (like Cram said) Smiley 400000 Euros? Smiley

i've been told 500'000 €. Really nice with those rims.

Mike if you hear me: Watch out. this might be a good thing for you, SmileySmileySmiley

--

CT, GT3, Cooper S

Side exhaust will be a problem especially for occupants. The Viper has had all kinds of problems with hot exhaust and some injuries.

The other issue will be the top. The CGT top once in the trunk left no room for anything else.

Based what I have seen to date, I would choose this over the 458 Spider.

--

PinKchampagnE:

... side exhaust wouldn't pass EU regulations (if I'm not mistaken) ...

Not sure this is right. Doesn't the McLaren Mercedes SLR not have side exhausts also (further forwards on the sides - i.e. nearer the engine - than this new Porsche 918 Spyder)? Smiley

2003_mercedes_slr_mclaren_amg_02_m.jpg

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

The original rims are great. Completly new...at first I did find them too strange , but now  they look new, fresh, different, and very ' technical' .

They are fantastic and go so well with this modern car !!

The best car I have seen in  a long long time 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Re: Porsche 918 Spyder at Geneva... (Chris Harris)

PORSCHE REVEALS 918 SPYDER HIGH-PERFORMANCE CONCEPT

Porsche-918-Spyder_GT-Purely-Porsche-01.jpg

If you thought hybrids were boring, think again. Of the trio unveiled on the manufacturer’s stand at this year’s Geneva Motor Show (including Porsche’s new Cayenne S Hybrid SUV and the 911 GT3 R Hybrid racing car) the manufacturer revealed its jaw-dropping 918 Spyder High-Performance Concept.

Porsche’s latest revelation is further evidence it’s taking its hybrid technology drive very seriously, combining low-emission drive technology with a massively exciting concept. Make no mistake; this concept is a very serious machine. Porsche is quoting 0-62mph in under 3.2 seconds and a top speed of 198mph, plus it’ll lap the Nordshleife in less than 7:30 minutes. That’s quicker than a Carrera GT folks.

So what is the 918 Spyder concept all about? In typical Porsche fashion this latest, two-seater mid-engined racer blends new and old with emphatic results. Powering the concept is a 500hp V8 revving to a stratospheric 9200rpm as well as electric motors on the front and rear axle with overall mechanical output of 218bhp.

While the V8 is a further development of the 3.4-litre combustion engine found in Porsche’s RS Sypder racing car, mounted midship in front the rear axle, the seven-speed PDK transmission transmits the power of the electric drive system to the rear axle also. The front-wheel electric drive powers the wheels through a firm transmission ratio.

Then we get to the technical bit. Seated behind the passenger is the energy reservoir, a fluid-cooled lithium-ion battery. Porsche’s plug-in hybrid technology has the advantage of being able to charge the battery on the regular electrical network, while the car’s kinetic energy is converted into electrical energy fed into the battery when the brakes are applied, providing additional acceleration akin to the KERS system debuted in the 2009 Formula 1 season.

At the touch of the button on the steering-wheel the driver is given access to four different running modes- ranging from running the car under electric power alone (E-Drive) to Race Hybrid mode where the systems are focused on pure performance, running at the absolute limit of their power and dynamic output.

Just as the drivetrain does, the lightweight body structure of the 918 Spyder benefits from Porsche’s experience in motor sport, including its monocoque body shell made of carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic and the appropriate use of aluminium and magnesium keeps the car’s weight to below 1490kg.

In terms of styling Porsche has taken inspiration from both the legendary 917 and its current RS Spyder race car. The results are fairly staggering, blending the latest technology with Porsche’s motor sport experience to produce a truly tantalising concept.

Both innovation and tradition are reflected effectively in the cabin’s architecture, including the three free-standing circular dials for road speed (left), engine speed (middle) and energy management (right) reminiscent of a 60’s racer. The centre console features touch-sensitive buttons with the majority of the control’s the driver will need to access being positioned ergonomically on the three-spoke multifunction sports steering wheel.

The 918 Spyder also comes with further innovative functions such as the Range Master. Once activated in the centre display, the Range Manager uses the map in the navigation system to present the remaining range the car is able to cover.

In cities with environmental alert areas the Range Manager also states whether the driver is able to reach a certain destination on electric power alone. Very green indeed.

The 918 Spyder is a definite milestone for Porsche, setting a precedent for the future of its electro-drive program.

Porsche-918-Spyder_GT-Purely-Porsche-02.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_GT-Purely-Porsche-03.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_GT-Purely-Porsche-04.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_GT-Purely-Porsche-05.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_GT-Purely-Porsche-06.jpg

2010-Porsche-918-Spyder_GT-Purely-Porsche

Smiley SmileySmiley

Cram:
    easy_rider911:

One of the most beautiful cars I have seen in a very, very long time Smiley I wonder what kind of price it will cost if they do indeed sell it in August 2010 (like Cram said) Smiley 400000 Euros? Smiley

i've been told 500'000 €. Really nice with those rims.

Mike if you hear me: Watch out. this might be a good thing for you, SmileySmileySmiley

Well, it is said to have more than 700 hp and is a legitimate successor to the Carrera GT, right? I rather expect the price to be something like 600k. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I was at the introduction this morning in Geneva.  Say what you will about the design, but I can tell you firsthand that this car is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING.  Pure power, and a monstously important statement that Porsche is in the forefront.  The car in one fabulous statement, and says Porsche and its spirit is not only intact, but damned determined to lead as the most serious, best engineered, and most advanced racing based sports car manufacturer.  This car says so much about Porsche pride--and VW loose rein--that it simply cannot be overstated. 

Wonderbar:

I was at the introduction this morning in Geneva.  Say what you will about the design, but I can tell you firsthand that this car is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING.  Pure power, and a monstously important statement that Porsche is in the forefront.  The car in one fabulous statement, and says Porsche and its spirit is not only intact, but damned determined to lead as the most serious, best engineered, and most advanced racing based sports car manufacturer.  This car says so much about Porsche pride--and VW loose rein--that it simply cannot be overstated. 

Honestly, I am starting to like it...Smiley

Just, some detalis are still pretty akward IMHO...Smiley

Gauss:

PS with normal wheels :

WOW, looks amazing!! bow.gif Smiley

Performace it may have aside, this car has incredible potential in terms of looks and image, it looks very sporty but at the same time very purposeful and technological. I can see this car becoming a must have in and an image leader in its class. Couple it with the performance and handling that Porsche's engineering is known for and this is a winner and new flagship for Porsche image. Its only a prototype but I'm already impressed with just the photos.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Gauss:

PS with normal wheels :

WOW, looks amazing!! bow.gif Smiley

Performace it may have aside, this car has incredible potential in terms of looks and image, it looks very sporty but at the same time very purposeful and technological. I can see this car becoming a must have in and an image leader in its class. Couple it with the performance and handling that Porsche's engineering is known for and this is a winner and new flagship for Porsche image. Its only a prototype but I'm already impressed with just the photos.

I absolutely love it! It's the proof, that there is a future for sportscars (and Ferrari with their 599 hybrid must be really pissed now Smiley).

Well done, Porsche! Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

The 500,000 Euro price is insane. Why not make this car available to more people and price it in the Ferrari Cali/458 range? 

--

It sounds like the Porsche 918 Spyder will be a strong competitor for the McLaren MP4-12C and Ferrari 458 Italia Scuderia... now that would be an awesome group test to enjoy!

Smiley

reginos:

Parts of it remind me of other cars but the R8 has not crossed my mind Smiley

audi_r8_2_03.jpg

918-Spyder_07_1280x800.jpg

from the side profile, pay attention to the rear, the reverse slope hardline near the rear bumper is quite similiar to the R8, if you fill in the void between the rear wing and upper and lower bumper, the profile is almost the same.

from straight on rear, the big vent below the tail light combination is quite R8-ish. Porsche change the shape but the general idea looks the same. Also the panel between the 2 rear exhaust vent has the general same profile as the R8, but without the license plate cut out, but on a production car with the proper license plate cutout, they might look even more similar.

All I can say is WOW.

And of course, please make it.

vincesf

nberry:

The 500,000 Euro price is insane. Why not make this car available to more people and price it in the Ferrari Cali/458 range? 

I'm thinking because the technology behind it must be very costly to develop, its no ordinary high-performance V8 mid-engined sportcar, and its not in the same league as a Cali/458 either.

That and the production numbers won't be high either I expect (this is not a car for making profit thorugh sales but rather through brand image building and exposure).

So all that will reflect on the price tag. Porsche knows a car of this type will be sold out, no matter the price, it will be a must have car for the supercar crowd.

--

Wonderbar:

What colour is the show car? From the known palette or totally new?

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

The Porsche 918 Spyder looks like a great evolution from the Carrera GT...

Carrera-GT.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder-concept_side-view.jpg

SmileySmileySmiley 

A few more pics of the Porsche 918 Spyder...

dsc-0565.jpg

dsc-0579.jpg

dsc-0583.jpg

dsc-0589.jpg

dsc-0594.jpg

dsc-0600.jpg

...great view of the aerodynamic-styling!

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Absolutely gorgeous!

Carlos, what you write makes sense. If true, why bother making the car a hybrid? The whole point of a hybrid is to appeal to masses thereby saving fossil fuel. To incorporate hybrid technology in a very limited production and expensive sport cars seems to defeat its purpose.

--

A few pics of Porsche's motorsport developed 3.4-litre V8 engine, as seen in the RS Spyder...

Porsche-RS-Spyder_V8-engine-01.jpg

Porsche-RS-Spyder_V8-engine-02.jpg

Porsche-RS-Spyder_V8-engine-03.jpg

Porsche-RS-Spyder_V8-engine-04.jpg

...also available with Direct Fuel Injection...

Porsche-RS-Spyder_V8-engine-05.jpg

Porsche-RS-Spyder_V8-engine-06.jpg

...currently undergoing testing in the Porsche 918 Spyder!

Smiley SmileySmiley

OMFG is all i have to say....

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

nberry:

Carlos, what you write makes sense. If true, why bother making the car a hybrid? The whole point of a hybrid is to appeal to masses thereby saving fossil fuel. To incorporate hybrid technology in a very limited production and expensive sport cars seems to defeat its purpose.

I think, and this is my humble opinion, that it comes from the fact that Porsche is going to great efforts to changing public opinion on its non-eco friendly image from its sportcars and Cayenne. Especially in Europe. And developing a supercar that is innovative and eco-friendly goes a long way towards that because it shows their compromise with the enviroment and efforts in trying to innovate in that field, not only their SUV can be eco-friendly with their Cayenne hybrid but they can also build eco-friendly sportcars, and sportcars and performance can be ecofriendly too, and the techology in this falgship may appply in the future in their lower sporctar models. Its all for publicity and image manipulation for the masses I know, but it works marketing wise. Its not what you actually do, its what it looks like you are doing to the public eye that counts.

--

Cram:

How funny i was just on a phone with a Lotus owner and we come to the same conclusion. Looks from the side more to a Lotus

In profile, that was my first thought - big Elise.  But that's no bad thing.  If they could tidy up a bit of the fussiness at he back, it would be stunning but as it stands I think its great (wheels nothwithstanding).

The development of the Porsche 918 Spyder...

...now available in glorious High Definition!

Smiley SmileySmileySmileySmiley

Wow wow woooow! it's SO nice this car! For a change Porsche has come up with a car that really makes the competition look dated. Compare with the side view R8 for instance...

With the photoshopped turbo or gt3 wheels it looks fantastic!! My only complaint is the wheels (and maybe the placement of the exhausts). Really looks like they have just pushed a plastic piece over the actual rim... what was they thinking about? It also hides the green brake calipers.... Sadly I would say that all negative comments are due to the rims, nothing else....

But anyhow.. apart from the design it is a technological masterpiece and great to see that there is a revoloution going on in this department

--
    997C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

It will be a shame to make this car only for the super rich. And yet, if they produce it in great quantities and price it in the $200,000 range it certainly would negatively impact  Turbo, GT2-3 sales.

For me, I have no intention of spending over $500,000 for a car.Smiley

--

I saw this car at Geneva today and it's fantastic. I called my dealer from the stand to say I want one. He didn't have a clue what a 918 is Prepare to lust after it when you see it in the metal. It's a radical styling departure for Porsche. Kreso, I think you'll really like it

1267565262077CIMG1199.JPG1267565219588CIMG1200.JPG1267565180412CIMG1197.JPG

1267565100538CIMG1194.JPG1267565138699CIMG1196.JPG

ISUK:

I saw this car at Geneva today and it's fantastic. I called my dealer from the stand to say I want one. He didn't have a clue what a 918 is Prepare to lust after it when you see it in the metal. It's a radical styling departure for Porsche. Kreso, I think you'll really like it

Thanks for the pictures ISUK Smiley now that you have seen it in person, its tough to get an idea of its size from the all the photos released, it looks a bit smaller that the usual supercar, but whats the size like in real person?

--

I'm just stunned. This could become THE sports car!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    800729 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    447588 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265435 323
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    264353 288
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89568 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

884563 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    830668 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM