Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche surprise in Geneva - concept of CGT succesor ?

I love this car and applaud Porsche for taking a bold step.  Now if they can just throw in a 700hp V10, add some Spyder RS wheels, ditch the side pipes (which you know will happen in any production version) and make one in black, I will put my order in ASAP.

--

oh my god... this is the least I expected from Porsche.
    Fantastic! I don't know whther I like the styling yet, but it is very brave for porsche to go forward that big a step.

If "l'histoire se repete", then I hope that the final design will be very similar to this prototype, just like it went with the CGT...

I am literally stunned! Can't wait till I finish work today and have the time to dive into all the press releases and information...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

I some pictures the back looks too busy because the wing is up.

Porsche 918 Spyder at the Geneva launch...

702295.jpg

7339744.jpg

8795989.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

The car will probably be a bit different and less ' bling' for the definite version.

They are the first sports car manufactor to inovate . I think it is fantastic !!!!!! and this is a serious moove forvard into new technology .

Just immagine.. 3l/100km !!!!!!!!   It was the VW Lupo diesel that had this benchmark untill now

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Porsche 918 Spyder concept car (2010)

Porsche-918-Spyder_Car-Magazine.jpg

(1 March 2010)

Porsche has shown off this stunning new 918 Spyder concept car on the eve of the 2010 Geneva motor show. It’s a mid-engined two-seater in the mould of the Porsche Carrera GT – a landmark supercar to showcase Porsche’s technical nous. 

Michael Macht, president and chief executive officer of Porsche, unveiled the 918 Spyder in Switzerland, and intriguingly proclaimed that Porsche has never shown a concept car that it hasn’t put into production...

Wow! What do we know about the Porsche 918 Spyder?

Porsche’s official press release was light on the details, but after the unveil Porsche’s R&D chief Wolfgang Durheimer talked CAR around the 918 Spyder and revealed some eye-popping figures for this part-electric hybrid supercar which weighs in at 'less than 1490kg'.

For a start, we need to think of the 918 Spyder as the latest Porsche road car to be born from a race car. ‘Just as the GT1 race car became a GT1 road car, and the LMP1 morphed into the Carrera GT, so the 918 Spyder is the street car version of the RS Spyder’, Durheimer told CAR.

In concept car form, the 918 Spyder uses the same mid-mounted 3.4-litre V8 that has powered the American Le Mans Series RS Spyder, but the engine will grow if (or when) the concept reaches production. Just as the Carrera GT’s 5.7-litre V10 was born as a 5.5, Durheimer revealed that a 4.6-litre V8 had been calculated as ideal for the stunning new 918 supercar. A seven-speed PDK gearbox sends the engine’s power to the rear wheels.

But the 918 Spyder isn’t just petrol powered – there are three electric motors which drive the front axle. It’s not a flywheel system similar to that on the GT3 R Hybrid racer, or a hybrid system as in the new Cayenne Hybrid, but a third plug-in solution.

The 918 Spyder is claimed to produce just 70g/km of CO2 and consume fuel at the rate of 94mpg when its plug-in hybrid module is working – yet it can lap the Nurburgring in under 7min 30sec.

The lithium ion batteries can power the 918 for 25km on electric power alone; a dial on the steering wheel lets the driver choose between Electric, Hybrid, Sport and Race modes.

Phew! Anything else about the new Porsche 918 Spyder?

Yes. There’s active aerodynamics: the rear spoiler lifts up at speed, and two intakes rise from the twin flying buttresses to help ram air into the hungry V8 engine.

Most of the major controls are also grouped onto the steering wheel, and Durheimer told CAR that the 918 Spyder showcases Porsche’s future interior design ideas.

Finally, the 918 Spyder has cameras that replace the door mirrors, and although they are not currently legal, Durheimer is hoping Porsche can convince the relevant legislators to give the technology the green light.

Porsche-918-Spyder-Concept_Car-Magazine

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 918 Spyder Concept: "The next spark..." 

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 918 Spyder preview...

...by Edmunds / Inside Line

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 918 Spyder launch...

...video blog by Autocar...

Smiley

Porsche 918 Spyder at Geneva... (Chris Harris)

A few early pics of the Porsche 918 Spyder from Chris Harris at evo magazine...

2011-Porsche-918-Spyder_Chris-Harris-01.jpg

2011-Porsche-918-Spyder_Chris-Harris-02.jpg

2011-Porsche-918-Spyder_Chris-Harris-03.jpg

2011-Porsche-918-Spyder_Chris-Harris-04.jpg

2011-Porsche-918-Spyder_Chris-Harris-05.jpg

...with initial comments from Chris Harris via Twitter...

Porsche-918-Spyder_Chris-Harris-twitter

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

Re: Porsche 918 Spyder at Geneva... (Chris Harris)

More pics of the Porsche 918 Spyder on display at Geneva...

12675212446241.jpg

12675212540192.jpg

12675212635543.jpg

12675212722724.jpg

12675212822385.jpg

12675212905086.jpg

12675212991867.jpg

8.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 918 Spyder looking good in Geneva...

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-00.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-01.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-02.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-03.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-04.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-05.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-06.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-07.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-08.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-09.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-10.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-11.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-12.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-13.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-14.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-15.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-16.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-17.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-18.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-19.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-20.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-21.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-22.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_Geneva-launch-23.jpg

...the Porsche 918 Spyder looks awesome!

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

brunner:

I some pictures the back looks too busy because the wing is up.

Also I think  part of the engine cover rises together with the wing. Active aerodynamics learned from the Veyron?

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Some interesting details on the Porsche 918 Spyder...

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoSpies-01.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoSpies-02.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoSpies-03.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoSpies-04.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoSpies-05.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoSpies-06.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoSpies-07.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoSpies-08.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoSpies-09.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoSpies-10.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

reginos:

Also I think  part of the engine cover rises together with the wing. Active aerodynamics learned from the Veyron?

Yes, I guess the "rocket launchers" are part of this concept.

1-aero1.jpg

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Yeah! Looks like a Katyusha rocket launcher.

As a sidenote, in recent months some of you complained that Porsche is not sufficiently forwarding in their design evolution, that they are referencing their past glory in too many ways and that they stick to vehicles that do not belong into the portfolio of a sportscar manufacturer... now that they presented a hybrid sportscar concept with very youthful styling cues and the core values of the brand, still some of you are not happy.

2011 Porsche 918 Spyder: "Porsche's hybrid supercar concept..."

Porsche-918-Spyder_X-Ray.jpg

New Porsche 918 Spyder, a hybrid supercar that laps the 'Ring in under 7.30mins 

(1 March 2010)

Porsche surprised everyone on the eve of the Geneva show by revealing the Porsche 918 Spyder prototype, billed as a potential successor to Porsche’s mighty Carrrera GT supercar.

The 918 Spyder combines 218bhp of electric hybrid power for the front and rear axles with a mid-engined, V8 petrol engine (derived from the 3.4-litre power unit fitted to the RS Spyder racing car), developing more than 500bhp and having a maximum engine speed of 9,200rpm. Power from this engine is transmitted via a seven speed ‘Doppelkupplungsgetriebe’ (that’s PDK to you and me) gearbox to the rear axle, while the front wheels are directly driven via the electric motor.

There’s a liquid cooled lithium-ion battery positioned behind the passenger cell, which can be re-charged via the car’s kinetic energy when braking or by plugging into the regular electrical network when the car is parked. A switch on the steering wheel allows the driver to choose four different running modes; E-Drive is for running on electric power only (with a range up to 16 miles), Hybrid mode for maximum efficiency, Sport Hybrid where the car uses both drive systems with the focus on performance, or Race-Hybrid for maximum performance complete with a ‘KERS’ type button on the steering wheel for additional electrical power when overtaking, for example. The cars features a monocoque bodyshell built from carbon fibre and boasts an overall weight of 1490kg.

The result of having all this new technology is spectacular, both in terms of CO2 emissions and outright performance claims. Porsche claim the 918 Spyder will achieve an CO2 emission level of just 70g/km (equal to 94mpg) on the EU CO2 cycle, yet the 918 Spyder can sprint to 62mph in just 3.2secs, has a top speed of over 198mph and can lap the Nordschleife in less than 7minutes 30seconds, faster even than the Porsche Carrera GT. Will it go into production? Well, Porsche have a good track record of putting their concept cars into production so here’s hoping the Porsche 918 Spyder keeps up the tradition. If they do, then don’t expect to see it in Porsche showrooms until around 2013 at the earliest.

Porsche-918-Spyder_Evo-article

Smiley SmileySmiley

Oh I'm very happy!

But what really makes me pleased is to read the following:

"XG10 stands for X1, Geneva 2010. X1 is the code name of the 918 Spyder, which is only one version of many. Potential variations include a 918 coupe, an electric 918, and a 918 RS/RSR"

and

"For 2011, insiders are already predicting LMP1, a race version of the 918 Spyder, which would comply with planned hybrid-friendly Le Mans regulations".

That wasn´t primarily directed at you, my dear friend!

I´d be curious to find out if, should the race version be launched with hybrid, whether they use the battery or gyroscopic storage system. I have the feeling that they are testing the GT3 hybrid this year for a reason.

Do you know whether this project was still launched by Wiedeking or after his dismissal? Anyways, the future of Porsche Motorsports indeed looks promising. 

I was until recently convinced that Porsche would use the gyroscopic storage system (and try and get the ACO to change the rules), but with this car, I am not quite sure now.

They are definitely testing the GT3 Hybrid under 24H racing conditions, so this type of system still looks very much in play for their racing program.

This is going to be a very interesting couple of years! It's going to be super fun following the development.

I'm already making plans for 2012 Le Mans!!!

And it's obvious, that the hyper expensive lithium-ion batteries, which were introduced recently and everyone complained about the price; aren't without a reason either.

But I'm very interested, whether this car is smaller than the CGT? From the pictures it does look smaller...

PS with normal wheels :

--

A couple of interesting quotes from the  Automobile Article:

"Thanks to the modularity of the engineering concept, hybridization can quickly filter down to the 911 and the Boxster, if required. Better still, all the R&D work was done in-house—and that includes the performance electronics and the electric motors. There was not a single systems supplier involved in the gestation process. As a result, we own all the intellectual property rights.”

"The body style is not yet cast in stone. Although the show car is a Spyder, generating a coupe version would be simple.”

Chris Harris says its tiny!

Gauss:

PS with normal wheels :

Looks soooo much better!!!!!Smiley

Very good PS!!!

With that wheels it looks

I want one!

Porsche’s hybrid supercar...

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoExpress-01.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoExpress-02.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoExpress-03.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoExpress-04.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoExpress-05.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoExpress-06.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoExpress-07.jpg

Carrera GT replacement previewed by German firm’s stunning 918 Spyder concept...

(March 2010)

The supercar of tomorrow is here! This is Porsche’s 918 Spyder, a hybrid performance car built to give the best of both worlds, offering a near-200mph top speed, yet managing almost 100mpg.

The Spyder joins the new Cayenne hybrid in Geneva, and previews the replacement for the Porsche Carrera GT. But while that car featured a 5.7-litre V10, the concept car uses a mid-mounted 493bhp 3.4-litre V8 derived from the firm's Spyder racing car, and it revs to 9,200rpm.

But what makes this new car special is the addition of two hybrid motors, which add a further 160kW (215bhp). One drives the front axle through a fixed transmission, and the other is sandwiched between the conventional engine and a seven-speed PDK gearbox. The motors are powered by a lithium ion battery pack located behind the passenger cell.

The hybrid system has four modes, so depending on whether speed or economy is your priority, the car is always operating at its most efficient.

Around town, E-drive mode allows the car to travel up to 16 miles on electricity alone. Next is Hybrid mode, which uses both power sources in moderation, giving claimed economy figures of 94mpg and 70g/km of CO2.

Sport Hybrid mode offers more aggressive power delivery and a torque vectoring function for improved dynamics. The most aggressive mode is Race Hybrid, which gives the most power and features a push-to-pass function.

In this mode, Porsche claims that the 918 can sprint from 0-62mph in 3.2 seconds, hit 198mph and can lap the legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife in under 7 minutes 30 seconds, making it faster than a Carrera GT.

The performance is helped in part by the comprehensive use of lightweight materials in the car’s construction. Carbon fibre reinforced plastics, magnesium and aluminium feature throughout, meaning the 918 Spyder tips the scales at 1,490kg.

Finally Porsche has confirmed that the concept’s look is not just a technological showcase. The interior of this car is set to dictate the look of the next generation of Porsches, beginning with the next 911 in 2012.

Porsche-918-Spyder_AutoExpress

Smiley SmileySmiley

I can't tell from the pictures, is the 918 Spyder  in GT Silver or some different shade

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Geneva show: Porsche 918 Spyder

Porsche-918-Spyder_Top-Gear-01.jpg

(2 March 2010)

As surprises go, this is right up there with Rachel Riley bursting out of a giant cake on your birthday. Porsche has unveiled the 918 Spyder - a hybrid electric concept that previews a future Carrera GT successor - in Geneva, and it's already looking like the star of the show.

For starters, just look at it. The 918 Spyder is gorgeous: familiarly Porsche without looking 911-generic, perfectly proportioned and bursting with lovely details. Check out those side exit exhausts, the ‘flying buttresses' behind the roll hoops and that carbon fibre rear diffuser. As we said, gorgeous.

But the stuff under that stunning shell is equally important. If you're thinking, ‘oh, great, another bloody hybrid', listen to this: Porsche says the 918 Spyder can lap the Nurburgring is less than 7m30s - that's faster than a Carrera GT.

The concept is powered by the 3.4-litre V8 from the American Le Mans Series RS Spyder, revving to 9,200rpm and putting out over 500bhp, and three electric motors on the front axle with a maximum output of 218bhp. So it's a four-wheel-drive, 700-and-something-bhp supercar that's green. Well, just about.

The 918's hybrid system is different to the technology seen on either the 911 GT3 Hybrid or the new Cayenne Hybrid. Uniquely, it can be recharged from the mains, and will manage up to 16 miles in all-electric mode. Driven conservatively in hybrid mode, Porsche says it will return 94mpg and 70g/km of CO2.

But you want to know about the fastness, right? As well as that Nurburgring-flattening lap time, the 918 will manage 62mph in 3.2 seconds and a top speed very close to 200mph.

That fastness is thanks in part to the 918's reasonably svelte kerbweight. Despite packing a set of lithium ion batteries, it tips the scales at just under 1490kg thanks to a monocoque bodyshell made of carbon-fibre reinforced plastic (CFP) with a liberal sprinking of aluminium and magnesium.

There's plenty of clever aero to keep things in check around the Green Hell: those two flying buttresses feature retractable air intakes, while the rear spoiler raises at speed to improve downforce.

So will the 918 reach production? We're optimistic. Porsche knows how to turn racers into road cars: the Carrera GT started life as the LMP2, so the 918 stands every chance of becoming the road-going, production version of the RS Spyder racer.

And, as Porsche CEO Michael Macht claims, his company has never made a concept car that wasn't put into production. Sounds like a statement of intent to us...

Porsche-918-Spyder_Top-Gear

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776035 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441072 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262428 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260601 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84985 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880098 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815111 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM