Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Cayenne - official data and photos

KresoF1:

Hmm... I am not a fan of rear lights-but, I can live with them.

My problem with new Cayenne is its overall picture. To make it more clear-pricewise it is too expensive. It is in current political/economical climate in EU totally wrong car, IMHO of course.

Technically, it is excellent car-just... As I wrote few times already: if I need decent SUV then Audi Q5 3.0TDI and if I need big SUV then new VW Touareg V8 TDI. Simple as that since that SUV will not be my only car. Somebody really needs to explain to me in common sense what is the point to have for example 997.2 Turbo S, 458 Italia and new Cayenne Turbo?? VW Touareg V8 TDI fits much better into family car picture IMHO...

The point of also owning a CTT, at least IMO, is having the ability to be able to go almost just as fast when driving a daily driver as when you're in your sports car. Of course I would very likely opt for a V8 TDI (it is more than enough for our busy roads) if shopping for an SUV, but if roads and regulations allow you to fully make use of it, I don't believe a CTT (or an X5M for that matter) is a bad choice.

reginos:

I'm just puzzled how someone like you, can live with this hideous monstrosity that was created by BMW for novelty buyers and attention seekers Smiley

OK, I'm not a real friend of the X6 design-wise but taking in consideration that especially women seem to love this car, I can't argue with that. I also had a pretty positive feedback from hotel guests when I arrived/left with that X6 35d loaner my dealer provided for our ski vacation. So many people came over to my car and congratulated me for the beauty of it, so there must be something I and you are not getting. Smiley 

I actually think that what makes the X6 special is the fact that it is the first SUV which looks like a sports coupe...somehow. I'm more a friend of the X5, the Range Rover Sport, etc. but it is really a matter of taste. The sportier look of the X6 makes the car actually less "massive", less "I own a farm" like. Can't really explain it but I think you get my point.

Fact is: the X6 seems to find it's customers and women love it. It attracts in Germany at least as much attention as the Cayenne does, so I don't think that the X6 is a bad choice, especially since it is priced similar to the X5 in a way or another.

Regarding the Cayenne rear: I fully agree with Sherif, the rear looks weird compared to the front. I actually would have made it slightly "squared" and not roundly shaped, can't explain it too well. Since I know Porsche and their development strategy pretty well, I think that not only the rear but even the not really perfect front have been done by purpose to allow a smoother update with the next facelift. If a car is perfect, you can't sell the facelift too well. Smiley

Btw: If you knew who intouch1 is, you would realize fast that funny really isn't an issue for him. He could have easily bought a fully optioned Cayenne Turbo with no sweat. It is the principle: as a buyer, even as a buyer of high performance cars/SUVs, I demand a certain value for my money. If I can't see that value, I look somewhere else. I knew the final specs of the Cayenne Turbo when I ordered my BMW X5 M, this was actually the main reason for it. Why should I pay a HUGE premium for a car which delivers the same or even slightly worse performance? The X5 M is my family car, I don't care too much if there is a BMW or Porsche badge on it. I saved a HUGE amount of money and this is what counts.

With a sportscar, things look different. Although I really like my wife's M3 Cab, I would never buy a M3 for myself. It isn't just the car for me, it isn't who I am. I would still buy a 911 Turbo or GT3, depending on my mood and age at that time, even if it costs a lot.

Which brings me to the next point: If a 911 Turbo costs over 160000 EUR with the next 991 generation, I'm going to pass on it and I'm going to get a car together with my wife, like I planned before. Two cars are enough for us, a Porsche 991 Carrera S Cabriolet and a BMW X5 M. I still have the Mini for city driving, this is just enough for covering all our mobility needs. Of course I would love to own 20 cars at a time but I can't afford it and I can't see the point of it in a car "unfriendly" environment like Germany.

Sorry for the long ranting... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I'm impressed! The new Cayenne looks great. I know that I'm a minority in here, but comparing with X5/X6, touareg, etc, this new Cayenne wins in every department. The new turbo wheels are awesome and I also like the back-end of the car. It has precense and proportional lines and look way more modern than the old model. But I guess it's in the eye of the beholder....

--
    997C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

+2  Smiley   Lukas

new cayenne rear.JPG

KresoF1:
    Somebody really needs to explain to me in common sense what is the point to have for example 997.2 Turbo S, 458 Italia and new Cayenne Turbo?? VW Touareg V8 TDI fits much better into family car picture IMHO...

IMO for a family/daily car the Q5 is the excellent choice.

Why go for heavier car with a large engine like the Touareg, unless you need this extra space?

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

There is a lot of talk here about the ugly PORSCHE lettering in the rear.  Want to know why this was added?  Porsche's biggest growth market and possibly it's biggest market in a couple of years, China, insisted on putting it on the Panamera when it was released.  So I can only guess that they also insisted on having it on the E2 Cayenne.  Sports car sales will be small in China compared to sedan/suv, so hopefully the big PORSCHE lettering won't appear on the next Boxster/Cayman/911!!!

RC:
    reginos:

I'm just puzzled how someone like you, can live with this hideous monstrosity that was created by BMW for novelty buyers and attention seekers Smiley

OK, I'm not a real friend of the X6 design-wise but taking in consideration that especially women seem to love this car, I can't argue with that. I also had a pretty positive feedback from hotel guests when I arrived/left with that X6 35d loaner my dealer provided for our ski vacation. So many people came over to my car and congratulated me for the beauty of it, so there must be something I and you are not getting. Smiley 

This shows that the novelty value of the X6 attracts for now at least, especially people who see the car for the first time. The unusual and different overcome its ugly shape. Also X6 owners are usually attention seekers and they enjoy people looking at or inquiring about their unusual car in public car parks, petrol stations etc.

Another issue is that X6 drivers think that they sit in and drive a sports car. Here there are many X5 and X6, mostly diesel and imported used from the UK. X5 drivers drive normally, whereas X6 drivers usually overdrive their cars and try to show something neither their car nor themselves are. In many cases and excepting rennteam members of course,  X6 = attitude problems! This is my sociological analysis of X6 ownership Smiley

Btw: If you knew who intouch1 is, you would realize fast that funny really isn't an issue for him. He could have easily bought a fully optioned Cayenne Turbo with no sweat. It is the principle: as a buyer, even as a buyer of high performance cars/SUVs, I demand a certain value for my money. If I can't see that value, I look somewhere else. I knew the final specs of the Cayenne Turbo when I ordered my BMW X5 M, this was actually the main reason for it. Why should I pay a HUGE premium for a car which delivers the same or even slightly worse performance? The X5 M is my family car, I don't care too much if there is a BMW or Porsche badge on it. I saved a HUGE amount of money and this is what counts.

I'm sure our friend intouch 1(aka Sharif) is very affluent, judging by the amount of money he is spending on watches every week or so. I've never implied that his choice of the cheaper BMW was influenced by a shortage of cash. Anyway our friend's saving grace is that he still owns the GT2 Smiley

If I were in the market for a premium SUV, I would buy a Turbo or GTS (if I could afford them) but a Touareg or Q5 instead of a V6 or Diesel Cayenne.

With a sportscar, things look different. Although I really like my wife's M3 Cab, I would never buy a M3 for myself. It isn't just the car for me, it isn't who I am. I would still buy a 911 Turbo or GT3, depending on my mood and age at that time, even if it costs a lot.

No car this side of real exotics can substitute the feel and satisfaction from Porsche sports cars. That's a fact Smiley

--

while the x6 certainly is a flashy car by being a very different design than all other suv's, i think the bmw badge tones that down.

bmw's being a common car, it think that dspite it's looks it is more positively perveived than a cayenne.

it's just the way the brand stigma affect people.

i remember once i had parked my gt2 behind my friend's f430 (not that he got there first ) and everyone stopped to eye the f430. we were on a balcony right above both cars and could hear the talking.

few minutes later two guys that knew and understood cars stopped and checked the gt2 inside out and more or less ignoring the f430....

just shows how badges are perceived by those in the know and those who are not.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

WAY:

..... so hopefully the big PORSCHE lettering won't appear on the next Boxster/Cayman/911!!!

Actually I think it would look better on the 911 (depending on the new design) than Panam and Cay.

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):
    WAY:

..... so hopefully the big PORSCHE lettering won't appear on the next Boxster/Cayman/911!!!

Actually I think it would look better on the 911 (depending on the new design) than Panam and Cay.

Honestly, why do you focus so much on the logo?

It's neither something super-attractive nor ultra-hideous like you make it to be. And most important it can be deleted.

--

reginos:
    Ron (Houston):
    WAY:

It's neither something super-attractive nor ultra-hideous like you make it to be. And most important it can be deleted.

I just think it's a bit tacky.  And if you read through this whole tread, you will see that I am far from the only one with that view!

WAY:
    reginos:
    Ron (Houston):
    WAY:

I just think it's a bit tacky.  And if you read through this whole tread, you will see that I am far from the only one with that view!

Yes there seems to be a consensus here.

When I first saw it on the Panamera, it went unnoticed as something of no significance to be honest, until you guys started writing about it Smiley. The power of self-submission Smiley

--

A view from "Autocar" about the design of the new Cayenne.

Funny this guy doesn't mention the rear lights that many of you were too quick to criticizeSmiley

First-hand view of the Porsche Cayenne

Chas Hallett

So what’s the new Cayenne like in the metal?

Well if you didn’t like the bluff and aggressive look of the old one there’s little hope that you’re going to think that this one is a beauty either.

New Porsche Cayenne revealed

That said, there’s no doubt that it looks sleeker, sportier and has much tidier and more tapered front and rear ends. And yes it’s a good deal more handsome and more sculptured than the outgoing model. But it’s still a big, bulky car.

Also, just like the new VW Touareg with which it shares a platform, Porsche has made impressive weight savings and engineers say that this has proved dividends in its off-road capability. Even though a lot of off-road hardware has been removed to save this weight.

The real benefit for most customers though is with the interior. With the Panamera saloon Porsche finally proved that it could do classy and luxurious, as well as durable, and the Cayenne continues the theme. In fact, there's now a lot of similarity between the SUV and the saloon. Quality, luxury, and comfort have all been pushed up several notches.

But is it as classy as a Range Rover? It's too close to call.   

--

Forgot to mention the weight savings: compare the weight of the new Cayenne Turbo to the old one and/or the BMW X5 M for example. The difference isn't that spectacular but I have to agree that it is a first step into the right direction.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

very nice with the 997 Turbo wheels

cayenne.jpg

--

IMHO, anyone who thinks a Range Rover is classy has his head up his class...Smiley

I do not like the redesign. The front is pointed and etched, especially the Turbo is overly aggressive. The rear is strange, with those double-twisted rear lights. The design is converging to the current trend of etched/faceted SUVs. It loses the simpler Porsche-like lines. Not an improvement.

I do not like the current MB ML body either. Same trend lines. The original ML is the true classic. Their sedans changed too, into this toy-like direction. I think they look like Japanese cars.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S. Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

Gnil:
    RC:
    Gnil:

Can you elaborate ?

I would of been interested in the hybrid too.... as it would be the only way my wife would be ok driving it Smiley

How is the size compared to the old cayenne ?

The new Cayenne has more interior room than the old one, just wait until you see it.

I would go for the S because the Hybrid is more expensive, slower (accel, Vmax), technically more challenging (possible issues) and doesn't provide THE huge fuel saving capability I would expect from such a car. If it is true however that Swiss laws may favor Hybrids, get one. Otherwise, I would stay away from it because it doesn't improve performance.

I will check it out next week at the Geneva show and compare it to the Touareg... Smiley

Hi Gnil, I'll do the same. I believe that if one is interested in the 3.0l Diesel one should go for the Touareg as it's one to one the same as the Touareg. Fuel engine I would go with the S Cayenne or turbo (different transmission system and engine, meaning more Porsche) . But  it would certainly make sense to have a thought on the big Diesel in the Touareg; it's the best combination of performance and consumption of all of these cars, IMHO also  better than the Hybrid...

--

turbolite

Just played with the configurator of the Cayenne, the prices are ridiculous as usual!  not even Xenon lights are standard...

--

turbolite

ADias:

I do not like the current MB ML body either. Same trend lines. The original ML is the true classic. Their sedans changed too, into this toy-like direction. I think they look like Japanese cars.

I agree about this new MB trend with overly designed lines that have no purpose at all. These cars start to look like toys.

Funnily I just asked a friend what he thinks about the new Cayenne, he is a ' normal' guy, likes cars but not into any specific brand . He used to like the old Cayenne but said the new Cayenne looks now like a Lexus !!!!

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    ADias:

I agree about this new MB trend with overly designed lines that have no purpose at all. These cars start to look like toys.

Funnily I just asked a friend what he thinks about the new Cayenne, he is a ' normal' guy, likes cars but not into any specific brand . He used to like the old Cayenne but said the new Cayenne looks now like a Lexus !!!!

If you guys like the lines of the original ML then you guys must be huge fans of the minivan.  Smiley

Luv it!!!! all of them models!! Also, the price is amaaaazing

I think i'm gonna trade in my Range for one of those bad boys.

I like it a lot!

--

997 GT3 RS

Am I going to run to the dealer to change my CTT, certainly NOT. Porsche has focused on fuel eficiency and EU regulations, not necessary in the ME with fuel at 15pence (stirling) per liter. I would have atleast expected PDK and 550bhp for the standard turbo to even consider changing, wandering how many CTT owner think similar.

Still not an oil painting in my point of view, indeed the MKII rear looks better (OK slightly bias :-)

Cheers,

Mark

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

+1

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Rossi:
    Ron (Houston):

Little Comparison for Misha SmileySmiley

White_new_b.jpg

White_old_B.jpg

These new rear lights are simply way too big. Smiley

What a shame, they ruin the whole rear of the car. Smiley

@ Ron & Rossi  ,  I think it's a bad pic.  IRL  i expect it would look like this

1267352015287Misha rr lights.jpg

I have the 997.2 which has been brilliant. I also have a 5 year old Cayenne that I was looking to swap this year with the new model, I think it looks fab, and in the flesh it will be better, and the rear will be OK. My biggest problem is the price, as has been mentioned.....do you think there is a chance that the price will be discounted if I hang on and don't fall for pre-sale of order early.....?

I will see the new Cayenne tomorrow afternoon and will post impressions tomorrow night.  Unfortunately pics will have to wait until I return to the U.S from Geneva next week.

Looking forward , as always , to read your post Wonderbar  .  Think ,  you are curious and trilled  about hybrid  as much as I am .  Good time in Geneva .

RC's comment about a "special team" inside Porsche that ruined the rear design of the Panamara and Cayenne may have a bit of truth.

Consider the body shape of Porsches last CEO who ok'd their final designs!  He was pear shaped and somewhat fat looking. Not exactly the svelte athelete type...Maybe the designers were attempting to personally compliment him and used his body shape as their design inspiration!

So If the Cayenne is homage to WW as " Super Hero" and the Panamara is WW "The Schnell Limo Man"  the designers achieved unintended comic results...and should now seek new employment far away from Stuttgart....

Both vehicles need a exterior design redux for thier "optiks" to match thier driving dynamics.

Awkward and homely is no recipe for good lease residuals, resales or original sales.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688975 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408915 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255621 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234881 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857737 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773693 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM