Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Cayenne - official data and photos

very nice!

Superb interior!

I pity any person who would have just bought a BMW MX5

christo:

very nice!

Superb interior!

DRIVE an X5/6 M and you will edit above comment.....

now that i am doing some mor spiritd drving with my X6M i can only say the car is marvelous.

the utter sped and power  is incredible for an SUV. bmw really put togther a great package.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:
    christo:

very nice!

Superb interior!

now that i am doing some mor spiritd drving with my X6M i can only say the car is marvelous.

the utter sped and power  is incredible for an SUV. bmw really put togther a great package.

All these cars are very good and perhaps excellent. Naturally, we can all defend our choices or purchases focusing on the advantages of our preferred car. But we shouldn't get to the point of sounding like adolescent school boys!

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

cnc:

I am so happy I didn't fall for the X5 ruse!

New Turbo for me, it is a winner.

Of course it is a winner...design-wise, especially the interior.

But paying 30% more for it ? I don't think so. 

Lease offer is also much better with BMW.

Porsche needs to learn from the competition. They don't need to have the same low prices but 30-40% more lease cost for a similar car ? Again: I don't think so.

For Germany, the X5 M looks more subtle and public perception is very important to me. The new Cayenne looks in my opinion more aggressive than the old one. While the front may be a looker, it surely isn't a crowd pleaser if you understand what I mean. I doubt that such an aggressive front will help Porsche to overcome the bad public perception of the Cayenne in Germany, maybe the hybrid will help. It really depends on how the media is picking up the new Cayenne, around summer time we're going to know more.

Since Germany is the second largest single market for Porsche after the US, public perception over here can't be ignored.

Personally, I think that the new Cayenne will sell better than the Panamera but like I said before, it remains to be seen how the media in Germany will pick up the new Cayenne.

Even if the feedback from the press will be positive, there is still the public and they ARE a tough audience. While driving around in a X6 M and even a X6 35d, I had almost the same bad experience I had with the Cayenne Turbo S. I highly doubt it that it will change with the new Cayenne but maybe....who knows...?!

The design similarity to the Audi Q5 could actually help a little bit because the Q5 has received quite a positive feedback in Germany.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

christo:

very nice!

Superb interior!

I pity any person who doesn't know that this is called X5 M and not MX5. Smiley

The X5/X6 M is still more than a second faster from 0-200 kph, so I wouldn't see why you need to pity someone driving a X5 M. Top speed difference is only 3 kph and in real life, it should be the same since BMW is not really limiting exactly at 275 kph (GPS shows 291 kph for my wife's M3 Cab DKG, limitation should be at 280 kph).

I paid 99000 EUR for a fully optioned X5 M, the same Cayenne Turbo would cost me at least 125000 EUR after rebate.

Looks ? The new Cayenne is definetely looking better than the X5 M, no doubt about it. I knew that more than a year ago, so whats the point ?! My reason for getting the X5 M wasn't to show off but exactly the contrary, to be more subtle. Money of course also played a role in this decision but I think I explained that a couple of times before and I don't want to repeat myself again.

Don't get me wrong: I like the new Cayenne but since it is no surprise to me, you can pity me as much as you want, I'm happy with my X5 M decision for various reasons I explained in many many tiresome posts. Smiley

My next Porsche will be very likely a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet which I'm going to share with my wife but if I win the lottery...here I come GT3 RS. Smiley Again: since I already know how the 991 is going to be, incl. engine/technology-wise, I think I'm going to make the right choice. Smiley 

If the negative public perception of SUVs calms down and if the new Cayenne gets a more positive feedback from the press in the future, I may even get a Cayenne Turbo S again in three years or so.

Til then I'm going to play "undercover daddy" (a nickname I earned more than three years ago Smiley) in a X5 M and surprise many many Porsche drivers on the way. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

reginos:
    intouch1:
    christo:

very nice!

Superb interior!

All these cars are very good and perhaps excellent. Naturally, we can all defend our choices or purchases focusing on the advantages of our preferred car. But we shouldn't get to the point of sounding like adolescent school boys!

you are quite wrong and clearly did not get my point. when a die hard porsche fan feels forced to go for the competition, then something is wrong with the porsche product.

i did not regret my decision in going from a cayenne 1 turbo to an X6 50i. then when i got the X6M i felt i had made the right choice even I was still eyeing the cayenne 2 and was waiting for what porsche will deliver.

imo they delivered an utter mess. a car where the front and back do not fit together. that rear on a santa fe fine. on a cayenne no way. horrendous. the (lovely) interior and the performance wont mak up for the lost look.

mostly porsche delivered NOTHING nw with the cayenne 2.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

the cayenne's rear is a god given gift for clarkson

--

RC:
    Porsche needs to learn from the competition. They don't need to have the same low prices but 30-40% more lease cost for a similar car ?

The question is even much simpler and even worse:

If you compare the lease for a car which costs exactly the same when buying cash, the Lease conditions for a Porsche compared to BMW are apprx. 70 % higher for the monthly lease. For me this is a no brainer!

intouch1:
    reginos:
    intouch1:
    christo:

very nice!

Superb interior!

you are quite wrong and clearly did not get my point. when a die hard porsche fan feels forced to go for the competition, then something is wrong with the porsche product.

i did not regret my decision in going from a cayenne 1 turbo to an X6 50i. then when i got the X6M i felt i had made the right choice even I was still eyeing the cayenne 2 and was waiting for what porsche will deliver.

imo they delivered an utter mess. a car where the front and back do not fit together. that rear on a santa fe fine. on a cayenne no way. horrendous. the (lovely) interior and the performance wont mak up for the lost look.

BMW is a mass producer that can share components between several lines of cars and deliver a less expensive product (that's one of the reasons BMW have usually not so good brakes for example, because they borrow from their parts bin instead of developing the right component for a given car). IMO the only advantage any BMW has over a comparable Porsche is better value. Of course, this a vital factor in decision making, no doubt. BUT because you switched from one brand to another doesn't mean that you must try to inflate your new "toy" and knock or even ridicule the old one. In my way of thinking this is high school attitude.

I'm not into Cayennes so I don't want to defend this model, but in my eyes it looks very normal for a Porsche SUV. But I can equally say like many others, that the X6 is an ugly car for exhibitionists and the X5 is a car without any identity. However, I wouldn't  initiate a negative campaign against these cars like you and some others here do against cars you don't own anymore.

--

it looks great i am still trying to adjust to the back end , and speaking of bmw x5/x6 m or normal ill have to agree with RC about the price . also i agree with intouch1 about the way BMW drives at least until i try the new Cayenne because these 2 things what kept me away from the first genration Cayenne the ride which was not great and the ridiculous price of basic options and not to mention the resale value for a Cayenne over here in UAE is really bad compared to other SUV especially the X5.

RC:
    ...  Again: since I already know how the 991 is going to be, incl. engine/technology-wise, ...

Please tell us more about this? Smiley

--
    Isaac

RC, could you pls tell me 0-200 km/h figure for new Turbo, Turbo S and X5M?

thx

RC:

My next Porsche will be very likely a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet

translation: the new retractable hardtop is a winner, beautifully designed with little or no added weight! Smiley

reginos:
    intouch1:
    reginos:
    intouch1:
    christo:

very nice!

Superb interior!

BMW is a mass producer that can share components between several lines of cars and deliver a less expensive product (that's one of the reasons BMW have usually not so good brakes for example, because they borrow from their parts bin instead of developing the right component for a given car). IMO the only advantage any BMW has over a comparable Porsche is better value. Of course, this a vital factor in decision making, no doubt. BUT because you switched from one brand to another doesn't mean that you must try to inflate your new "toy" and knock or even ridicule the old one. In my way of thinking this is high school attitude.

I'm not into Cayennes so I don't want to defend this model, but in my eyes it looks very normal for a Porsche SUV. But I can equally say like many others, that the X6 is an ugly car for exhibitionists and the X5 is a car without any identity. However, I wouldn't  initiate a negative campaign against these cars like you and some others here do against cars you don't own anymore.

seems some of us were absent when it was announced that cayenne and touareg share the same platform.....

i am not inflating or deflating anything. i am just stating things as i currently see them.

check prvious posts and you will see how many true porsche guys went for the X M....that speaks for itself.

when i chose my cars, i go for looks and spec. budget is my least concern. so even price aside, bmw IMO is offering th better package.

furthermore, i have NOT switched from one brand to another. gt2 and turbo are still sitting in my garage.

rather than blindly jump for another cayenne, i follow the competition and chose the product that best suites my taste beyond a badge complex.

i would certainly not bash the cayenne as i was very happy with my turbo but when something better calls i am willing to make the switch and i am glad i did.

nevertheless, IMO the cayenne 2 simply looks terrible....

--

intouch1:

seems some of us were absent when it was announced that cayenne and touareg share the same platform.....

i am not inflating or deflating anything. i am just stating things as i currently see them.

check prvious posts and you will see how many true porsche guys went for the X M....that speaks for itself.

when i chose my cars, i go for looks and spec. budget is my least concern. so even price aside, bmw IMO is offering th better package.

furthermore, i have NOT switched from one brand to another. gt2 and turbo are still sitting in my garage.

rather than blindly jump for another cayenne, i follow the competition and chose the product that best suites my taste beyond a badge complex.

i would certainly not bash the cayenne as i was very happy with my turbo but when something better calls i am willing to make the switch and i am glad i did.

nevertheless, IMO the cayenne 2 simply looks terrible....

Sharing some parts with Touareg doesn't mean it's the same car or that the  elements that make the driving experience are the same. Anyway the Touareg was developed 100% by Porsche and not the other way round, if that matters.

The paradox with some people  is that you are not only knocking the previous older Cayenne vis a vis the newer BMW but also the new Cayenne that no one has driven yet and very few people in the world have even seen in real life!

Anyway, I am not questioning anyone's choice because all these cars are excellent engineering achievements. BUT if we decide to buy something we don't have to belittle the alternatives, just to feel good or superior.

Anyway enjoy what suits your fancy in good health Smiley

--

reginos......me expressing that it looks horrendous in no way implies that it drives badly. it is simply an expression of personal taste......

this is a forum of porsche and car enthusiasts so you should be able to live with and accept the widest views on one and the same topic.

--

intouch1:

reginos......me expressing that it looks horrendous in no way implies that it drives badly. it is simply an expression of personal taste......

this is a forum of porsche and car enthusiasts so you should be able to live with and accept the widest views on one and the same topic.

Sure, and in the same way you should be able to accept my views and tastes. Smiley

I'm just puzzled how someone like you, can live with this hideous monstrosity that was created by BMW for novelty buyers and attention seekers Smiley

--

I would choose new Touareg V8 TDI over ANY version of new Cayenne. BMW X6/X5 versions? No way either.

For me Audi Q5 3.0TDI or bigger VW Touareg V8 TDI.

at no point did i not accept your views and taste. i did not claim anyone is belittleing or inflating anything. nor did i hint at anyone being an attention seeking novelty buyer. if that is your take on folks who for various reasons prefer a car over another, than by all means fair enough....

and yes, i went for the X6 for it's novelty factor. it's new, fresh and different. i have to live with the fact that it might under the current climate not be 'politically correct'......however, where i live and in my surroundings i have had nothing but compliments on my choice so far. so in that sense i might be one of the lucky few that can still get away with driving such a car.

while it is flashy (maybe a monstrosity as you state) i truly enjoy driving it and it fully satisfies my wanting (not needing) of a powerful suv.

--

Hey people calm down see what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan, people couldn't get along Smiley.

On the serious note though emotions are running high. Both SUVs are excellent cars be is C-Turbo or X5/X6, that's why we have so many different brands and models so people can choose from.

I suggest everyone to take a deep breath, calm down and enjoy our discussions.

Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

I actually would get a Panamera over either!   I love the design and I think SUVs are mostly unnecessary.

226.jpg

Smiley

455.jpg

dr.j:
    RC:

My next Porsche will be very likely a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet

translation: the new retractable hardtop is a winner, beautifully designed with little or no added weight! Smiley

Yeah, I guess that we have to read between the lines... Smiley

Come on RC, you have got to stop doing this, teasing us like this, it is unbearable.

I thought the 991 was still far, far away... and that VW was considering changing the plans to make it more BOLD so how can you already know Smiley It's not fair Smiley

--

Slow In, Fast Out

reginos:
    intouch1:
    reginos:
    intouch1:
    christo:

very nice!

Superb interior!

A little bit off topic and I apologize in advance but I'd be quite interested to know where specifically those brakes come from. Are you saying that the brakes from let's say a M3 come from a regular 3 series with no changes whatsoever, hence the poor performance (fading) ? Smiley

German configurator is up, time to play Smiley.

http://cc.porsche.com/icc_euro/ui/pva/fs_global.jsp?RT=1267237262217&PARAM=parameter_internet_de&LANG=de&USER=DE&...

Black.jpg

Black_B.jpg

Red_B.jpg

Red.jpg

--
    Happy Driving

Little Comparison for Misha SmileySmiley

White_new_b.jpg

White_old_B.jpg

White_new.jpg

White_old.jpg

--
    Happy Driving

I am so glad the new Cayenne didn't even cross my mind.

Front is quite good, side is also nice but the rear, oh my. Apart from the super ugly tail lights, the rear hatch profile and curve is just all wrong. rear 3/4 view is the worst, especially in light colors. First the Panamera rear, now the Cayenne rear. Did Porsche hired some 3 year olds to finish their design on the rear in their cars?

At least the interior is nice, for someone who is buying the new Cayenne, they could probably forget about the ugly butt as they won't see it when seated inside, plus, if they back into parking spots all the time, the rear won't even come into view.

PinKchampagnE:

A little bit off topic and I apologize in advance but I'd be quite interested to know where specifically those brakes come from. Are you saying that the brakes from let's say a M3 come from a regular 3 series with no changes whatsoever, hence the poor performance (fading) ? Smiley

The way you put it somewhat oversimplifies things, but that's the general idea. They wouldn't develop something totally new for a model, if in the parts bin they have something else that does the job by say 95%.

--

Ron (Houston):

Little Comparison for Misha SmileySmiley

White_new_b.jpg

White_old_B.jpg

These new rear lights are simply way too big. Smiley

What a shame, they ruin the whole rear of the car. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Hmm... I am not a fan of rear lights-but, I can live with them.

My problem with new Cayenne is its overall picture. To make it more clear-pricewise it is too expensive. It is in current political/economical climate in EU totally wrong car, IMHO of course.

Technically, it is excellent car-just... As I wrote few times already: if I need decent SUV then Audi Q5 3.0TDI and if I need big SUV then new VW Touareg V8 TDI. Simple as that since that SUV will not be my only car. Somebody really needs to explain to me in common sense what is the point to have for example 997.2 Turbo S, 458 Italia and new Cayenne Turbo?? VW Touareg V8 TDI fits much better into family car picture IMHO...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689681 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409315 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255791 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235015 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65542 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858075 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774136 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM