Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Cayenne - official data and photos

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, is presenting the brand-new generation of the Cayenne Sports Utility at the Geneva Motor Show in early March.

The absolute highlight of this new generation is the world debut of the Cayenne S Hybrid with its technically highly sophisticated parallel full hybrid drive and fuel consumption in the New European Driving Cycle of just 8.2 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 34.4 mpg imp), which means CO2 emissions of just 193 g/km. The Cayenne S Hybrid therefore combines the performance of an eight-cylinder with the economy of a six-cylinder running on much less fuel.

Led by the Cayenne S Hybrid, all models in the new generation are trendsetters in efficiency and performance in their respective segments. Compared with the former models, fuel consumption is down by up to 23 per cent, since the new Cayenne, like every Porsche, has been developed according to the principle of “Porsche Intelligent Performance”: more power on less fuel, greater efficiency and lower CO2 emissions.

These objectives result, not least, from the introduction of the new Tiptronic S eight-speed automatic transmission with Auto Start Stop and a wide spread of gear ratios, thermal management on the engine and transmission cooling circuit, on-board network recuperation, variable engine cut-off and intelligent lightweight construction. 

Thanks to its special combination of materials for optimum weight as well as changes in the overall concept of the vehicle such as the Cayenne’s new active and extra-light all-wheel drive, weight is down for example on the Cayenne S by 180 kilos or 400 lb – despite the improvement of product substance and an even higher standard of safety. This clearly has very positive effects not just on fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, but also on performance, agility and handling.

Benefiting from these features and new technologies, the new Cayenne offers even more driving pleasure both onroad and offroad, combined with even greater everyday driving qualities, enhanced comfort and supreme elegance. The completely new, sporting and elegant design of the new model integrates the 2010 Cayenne even more closely into the overall range of Porsche cars. The sports car-like character of the Cayenne comes out even more from all angles, just as the highlights in the shape and design of the car so typical of Porsche are also clearer than ever before.

Extra space inside and greater variability is ensured by the wheelbase now 40 mm or almost 1.6” longer. In all, the new Cayenne is 48 mm or 1.9” longer than its predecessor. But despite its larger exterior dimensions, the new generation of the Cayenne is nevertheless far more compact and dynamic. The most significant eye-catcher within the brand-new, high-quality interior is the centre console rising up to the front with its upright selector or gearshift lever, giving the interior the typical character of a cockpit upfront. The rear-seat bench moves fore-and-aft by 160 millimetres or 6.3”, with the backrest angle adjusting to three different settings.

Sales of the Cayenne in Europe are starting on 8 May, with Porsche offering the right model from the start for every customer: The range starts with the 3.6-litre V6 Cayenne. Despite the increase in engine power to 300 bhp, fuel consumption in the NEDC driving cycle in conjunction with optional eight-speed Tiptronic S transmission is down from the former model by no less than 20 per cent to 9.9 ltr/100 km, equal to 28.5 mpg imp.

The Cayenne Diesel with its 240 bhp (176 kW), 550 Newton-metre (405 lb-ft) three-litre V6 likewise reduces fuel consumption by 20 per cent, down from 9.3 to 7.4 ltr/100 km (equal to 30.4 mpg imp now improving to 38.2 mpg imp).

Fuel consumption is also down significantly on the high-torque Cayenne S with its 4.8-litre V8 power unit, in this case by 23 per cent to 10.5 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 26.9 mpg imp). At the same time the new engine delivers 400 bhp maximum output instead of the former 385 bhp, offering significantly better performance, just like all models in the new generation of the Cayenne.

This also applies to the Cayenne Turbo, with its 500 bhp (368 kW) 4.8-litre V8 biturbo consuming just 11.5 ltr/100 km (equal to 27.6 mpg imp) in the New European Driving Cycle, again 23 per cent less than its predecessor (14.9 ltr/100 km or 19.0 mpg imp).

Together with the Cayenne S Hybrid, no less than three of the five versions of the Cayenne thus consume less than ten litres of fuel per 100 km in the New European Driving Cycle, with two models emitting less than 200 grams of CO2 per kilometre. At 193 g/km, the Cayenne S Hybrid is not only the cleanest version of the Cayenne with the lowest level of emissions, but also the cleanest Porsche throughout the Company’s entire portfolio.

In the intelligent interaction of the three-litre supercharged V6 and the electric motor, the Cayenne S Hybrid focuses on maximum efficiency from the overall system. Depending on driving conditions, the vehicle reaches this target with either only one drive unit operating by itself or with both drive units working together. In this context the 34 kW (47 hp) electric motor is of course the ideal partner for the 333 hp compressor engine with its high torque at low speeds. Together, the two drive units deliver maximum system output of 380 bhp and peak torque of 580 Nm/427 lb-ft at just 1,000 rpm, with the same kind of performance as the Cayenne S with its V8 power unit.

The two drive units are connected to one another by a separator clutch masterminded by the Hybrid Manager. Indeed, this separator clutch is essential to run the Cayenne S Hybrid either on its electric motor or combustion engine alone, or with both drive units operating together. Given a reserved, moderate style of motoring, for example in a residential area, this allows the driver to cover short distances on electric power alone and therefore absolutely free of emissions and with hardly any noise, driving at a speed of up to 60 km/h or almost 40 mph.

To ensure fast acceleration when setting off, the electric motor may however serve to provide additional thrust through its boosting effect. Intelligent management of the separator clutch makes the transition among the hybrid-specific driving modes most inconspicuous, comfortable and quick for the driver. At the same time the combustion engine may be completely switched off at speeds of up to 156 km/h or 97 mph, being fully disengaged from the drivetrain when no further power is required. In this so-called sailing mode, cruising along without power, the drag forces exerted by the combustion engine and their braking effect are eliminated in the interest of lower drive resistance and fuel consumption.

The prices of the new Cayenne models in Germany including national specifications and 19 per cent value-added tax (Euro base prices without national specifications and 19 per cent VAT in brackets) are as follows:

Cayenne 55,431 Euro (46,400 Euro)
    Cayenne Diesel 59,596 Euro (49,900 Euro)
    Cayenne S 72,686 Euro (60,900 Euro)
    Cayenne S Hybrid 78,636 Euro (65,900 Euro)
    Cayenne Turbo 115,526 Euro (96,900 Euro). 

Performance Data

Cayenne

0-100 kph in 7.5 s (7.8 s Tiptronic)

Top speed: 230 kph

Cayenne Diesel

0-100 kph in 7.8 s

Top speed: 218 kph

Cayenne S

0-100 kph in 5.9 s

Top speed: 258 kph

Cayenne S Hybrid

0-100 kph in 6.5 s

Top speed: 242 kph

Cayenne Turbo

0-100 kph in 4.7 s

Top speed: 278 kph

caynew.jpg

caynew2.jpgHybrid

caynew3.jpg

caynew4.jpg

caynew5.jpg

caynew6.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: New Cayenne - official data and photos

Front looks great, sideview looks great, rear with the sad lights and the funny roof-wing not that good at all.

I would have been interested in the Diesel, but 240 HP doesn't sound that ambitious, maybe the Hybrid is the Car to go for!

The entry level Cayenne with V6 300 HP engine is actually a very interesting offer but it has almost no standard options in Germany. 

The Hybrid is also interesting from a price point of view, especially compared to the BMW X6 ActiveHybrid. Clever decision.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Design wise I give it 10 out of 10.  The back turned out better than I expected although it looks a bit like Infiniti EX.  Overall, I love it.

--
    Happy Driving

That rear looks horrible.

I was hoping that the graphics of the new rear lights could compensate the oddly shaped lights, but unfortunately that's not the case. What a shame, the rest of the car looks really good.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

The rear is a DISASTER !!!!! Looks like a Q5...

Love the interior.

Like the front of the Non-Turbo

Have problems with the Turbo front (mouth gaping wide look)

No problems with the rear.

Overall: an improvement...but still not Wow!

I think it's a clear improvement over the old Cayenne as it looks less 'trucklike'.

This is another car which needs to be seen in the flesh to be appreciated appropriately: it's really worth itgoing to Geneva this year!!  

--

turbolite

I think they've got the imperial fuel consumption for S and Turbo back to front?

The new Cayenne looks great, even if I'm not a friend of the rear.

I don't get it: does Porsche have a seperate design team which messes up the rear on the cars (e.g. Panamera) ?! 

Although I like the front, I'm afraid it will be the archilles heel of the new Cayenne: it looks too aggressive, which may create some perception problems in certain markets like for example Germany.

I also don't get that huge PORSCHE lettering on the rear, it looks horrible.

--

RC:

I also don't get that huge PORSCHE lettering on the rear, it looks horrible.

--

+1

--
    Happy Driving

Very nice info

the rear look is questionable, everything else is really nice

what are the acceleration specs, I couldnt find them?

I will go for a Cayenne S or a hybrid : decision next week

Carlos 

--
    T4S & co gallery

Performance Data:

Cayenne

0-100 kph in 7.5 s (7.8 s Tiptronic)

Top speed: 230 kph

Cayenne Diesel

0-100 kph in 7.8 s

Top speed: 218 kph

Cayenne S

0-100 kph in 5.9 s

Top speed: 258 kph

Cayenne S Hybrid

0-100 kph in 6.5 s

Top speed: 242 kph

Cayenne Turbo

0-100 kph in 4.7 s

Top speed: 278 kph

--

CarlosF:

Carlos 

I would go for the S, not the hybrid. Smiley

--

will we see Turbo S with even better specs?

LukasLuis:

I like this new Cayenne. I cannot fault the new design.

Looks like a Q5? That's a compliment for any SUV IMO.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

artur777:

will we see Turbo S with even better specs?

Yes, Turbo S is in the game. Power will be 550 HP, same as Panamera Turbo S.

Btw: according to our infos (apparently we have been more right with the 4.7 s figure from 0-100 kph than any other publication Smiley), the Cayenne Turbo is more than one second slower from 0-200 kph than the X5/X6 M.

The Turbo S should hit 0-200 kph under 16 seconds.

--

RC,

are you not dissapointed with your X5M choice after all?

new Cayenne seems to be a category leader....

Manual

Base V6 wheels

Like the Panamera, this car's looks are very sensitive to the wheel size and type.

RC:
    CarlosF:

Carlos 

I would go for the S, not the hybrid. Smiley

Yes, I know what you think Smiley

Emotionally, I would like a S, but :

In Switzerland, we will have to vote soon if heavy SUV are forbidden or not. In any case, the owners of these cars will have to pay huuuuuge taxes Smiley.

So the rational part of my brain (and my wife Smiley) tell me to go for a hybrid.

Probably, this will extend to other countries, and hardcore sport drivers like You, me and many other Rennteam friends will have to change their minds very very soon.

This is sad

Carlos

--
    T4S & co gallery

artur777:

RC,

are you not dissapointed with your X5M choice after all?

new Cayenne seems to be a category leader....

I paid 99000 EUR for a 124000 EUR car and have the same performance without attracting too much attention. Do you really think I didn't know about the new Cayenne when I ordered the X5 M ? Smiley Check out my older posts about new Cayenne Turbo performance.

For now, my choice for the X5 M has been the right one. In three years, things may look different. Then I might go for the Cayenne Turbo S again...if the price is right, if I can afford it AND if public perception of the Cayenne has been improved (which I still doubt looking at the aggressive front of the new generation).

--

I like it!!

Much better then the previous model... but i don`t think that un Hybrid Suv will "save the planet"... for me it`s pure markting...

I would love to see a more powerful diesel on this type of car... (better torque on a heavy car)...  240 bhp doesn`t sound too much...

A more powerful Diesel will come if the 240 HP version doesn't sell too well. I heard rumors that a 300+ HP Diesel is in the pipeline anyway.

Judging by the performance, I think that the 240 HP Diesel is actually the best choice for city driving (for example for soccer moms driving their kids to school, etc.). 

I would definetely prefer the S over the Hybrid. The Hybrid is a little bit of a disappointment, I had the feeling that performance will be very close to the S but I (and apparently our source too) was wrong.

Yes, the Hybrid is a marketing hype, so is the weight reduction actually. Take a fully equipped Cayenne Turbo and it isn't much lighter than a X5 M for example.

Another thing: the prices of the less powerful models seem to be interesting but most of the entry level models have a pretty "naked" option list. Add some options and I'm pretty sure that even the S can easily hit the 100000 EUR mark.

--

Is this PDK?

palenimbus:

Is this PDK?

There is no PDK on the new Cayenne, "just" a new 8-speed Tiptronic S made by Aisin.

--

LukasLuis:

I wouldn't call it a disaster but the rear definetely isn't perfect.

The Q5 is a beautiful car but I can also see how some people will compare the new Cayenne with Audi. It actually raises the value of Audi SUVs. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689646 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409293 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255778 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235008 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65533 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858055 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774096 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM