Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My short test drive of the 458 Italia

I had the chance to test drive the car today for about one our.

Did not do mountain roads, but in between town country roads. So the test is just a first feeling. Handling is very precise and fine .

The steering wheel very direct. No funny feelings or ' bugs' . The car feels planted and extreemly nimble. The engine reacts like a missile. Immidiate response.

The sound is like a race car. One ' sits' in the car, not on top of it, which realy brings a feeling that you are part of the car and that everything is an extension of yourself.

The transmission is very fast and smooth. I did not like the exaust sound when the gear change in strong accelaration. It sounds like a cough .

The car is easely an every day car, exept for the hard seats maybe. The lights come on by themselft. The had brake comes on and off automaticaly.. just like in any confortable sedan .

The down part , for me, is the lack of direct feeling with every little bump on the road. I do feel a better connection with every bump in my C2S - 20 mm , then in the 458.

Generaly I would call this car very refined and precise, extreemly powerlfull, responsive with a fantastic sound. Here are some pics. First ones from a car in the show room, the other ones was my test car.
    --

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Re: My short test drive of the 458 Italia

The suspension is tuned towards a Grand Tourer car as I suspected will be Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

I am amazed your dealer provides a 458 test car. That would be unheard of here.

Your comments are intriguing. Has Ferrari gone from a raw sport car to a hybrid GT?

--

On what setting did you drive the car? the suspension probably gets harder and sportier on the racier settings of the manetino.

It was to be expected Nick...

The gearbox it's no longer raw, the brakes are smooth... Probably only the sound is still kind of raw... But not compares with Scuderia which in turn also can't be compared with the 360CS...

Low CO2 output requirements are killing the sound... Direct injection etc....

--

Here are the pics ( hopefully Smiley )

1266510345024October2944.JPG

1266510363614October2945.JPG

1266510380048October2946.JPG

October2947.JPG

1266510540484October2950.JPG

October2954.JPG

October2952.JPG

October2955.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Pentium:

The suspension is tuned towards a Grand Tourer car as I suspected will be Smiley

The suspension is still hard and firm, do not daught that... not a GT feel at all .and there is the race button if you need more Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Fantastic Gnil - thanks for providing your report

So does this mean that the experience one really desires will be provided by the 458 Scuderia (or whatever they name it)? I am tempted to think so ...

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Gnil:

I had the chance to test drive the car today for about one our.

Did not do mountain roads, but in between town country roads. So the test is just a first feeling. Handling is very precise and fine .

The steering wheel very direct. No funny feelings or ' bugs' . The car feels planted and extreemly nimble. The engine reacts like a missile. Immidiate response.

The sound is like a race car. One ' sits' in the car, not on top of it, which realy brings a feeling that you are part of the car and that everything is an extension of yourself.

The transmission is very fast and smooth. I did not like the exaust sound when the gear change in strong accelaration. It sounds like a cough .

The car is easely an every day car, exept for the hard seats maybe. The lights come on by themselft. The had brake comes on and off automaticaly.. just like in any confortable sedan .

The down part , for me, is the lack of direct feeling with every little bump on the road. I do feel a better connection with every bump in my C2S - 20 mm , then in the 458.

Generaly I would call this car very refined and precise, extreemly powerlfull, responsive with a fantastic sound. Here are some pics. First ones from a car in the show room, the other ones was my test car.

Thanks for your report.

Your impression about 997.2 hardness cames form very short wheelbase.

Final thing-can you imagine yourself to own 458?

Yes! Yes! Yes! Smiley

--

Pentium:

the brakes are smooth...

You still need to hit them relatively hard if you want proper braking

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thanks for the report and pictures.

Your feeling that the C2S 20mm gives you a closer response of the street is what I always said after driving an Ferrari. Even on the 430 I had the feeling already.

The car looks so great, for me the most beautiful sport car to buy currently!

KresoF1:

Your impression about 997.2 hardness cames form very short wheelbase.

Final thing-can you imagine yourself to own 458?

I am used to feel everything with my bum in my C2S, I know and feel exactly on what my wheels are driving, that  was not the case on the 458, but it could be because of  the weelbase is longer at the backSmiley

If I would by this type of car it would be to track it ....so I could wait for the scud version ( in two years, next year race version is out ) . I could see myself in the scud.

If I wanted to replace my c2S to have a car I can drive nearly everyday and not care about back seats or the ' image' , If would definitly consider the 458. It must be one of the car that gives the strongest feelings in an ' every day ' car . The 997.2 Turbo compared feels like a missile GT.. the 458 much more like a race car.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

If it is anything like the 430, then RACE mode firms the suspension up A LOT! ;) But a crashy ride is not neccessarily a sportier one. It just shows poor engineering sometimes. The 430 corners flatly but still maintains a decent ride due to its adjustable dampers. As an F1 car vs a Go-Kart comparisson will show, crashy dows not equal fast or sporty for that matter!  

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

you could buy a handful if you held SIRI 

You think SIRI is prime for a run? I was just looking at the stock, it is tempting to buy a couple thousand shares...

Gnil,

Thanks for this report

It looks like your red demo car had the race seats which are much firmer than the standard seat in the black showroom car. The race seat is the same seat as those fitted in the Scuderia.

The suspension in the 458 is also the same principle as the Scuderia - it can be adjusted independently of the manetinno setting with a separate button on the centre tunnel. You can select comfort suspension for example but race mode on the TC system.

I'm reliably told that the 458 is a faster track toy than the Scuderia so there's no need to wait 2 years for a lightweight version  Take a 458 now, then trade it for a spider next year then a 458 Scud the year after and enjoy all flavours as it were. It's the Ferrari way

ISUK:

I'm reliably told that the 458 is a faster track toy than the Scuderia so there's no need to wait 2 years for a lightweight version

How should it? Honestly, I believe that Ferrari would like to claim that it is faster around the track than the 430 Scuderia. But do you really believe it? Weight, tires etc. No way - if you ask me Smiley

I'm with you on this one. I believe that the new gearbox is more efficient and the engine better BUT I don't believe for a sec:

- that the suspension it's tuned for racing no matter the program you chose

- tires make a big difference

- WEIGHT, WEIGHT, WEIGHT

- also few road cars have the brake pedal feel of the Scuderia (including all the other Ferrari's except FXX perhaps)

Perhaps on Monza the new aerodynamics to give you an edge...

--

MKSGR:
    ISUK:

I'm reliably told that the 458 is a faster track toy than the Scuderia so there's no need to wait 2 years for a lightweight version

How should it? Honestly, I believe that Ferrari would like to claim that it is faster around the track than the 430 Scuderia. But do you really believe it? Weight, tires etc. No way - if you ask me Smiley

Other than weight, what does the Scud have over the 458? The 458 has 50-60 more hp, newer transmission, between aerodynamics, better brakes and probably better suspension. Why wouldn't it be faster? The weight difference is not that great.

Also, if you believe the rumors, the 997.2 turbo with less hp hp and more weight is as fast if not faster than the 458. So weight is not the only consideration.

--

Guys,

Don't shoot the messenger. This car is a whole generation newer than the Scuderia and incorporates a lot of advancements. I think you are underestimating the improvements made to the aerodynamics, electronic traction control systems and the all important elimination of shift lag with the DCT box. Look at the number the Cali can produce in independent tests then look at it's weight and BHP. The DCT box and latest electronics are responsible for this.

racerx:

you could buy a handful if you held SIRI 

I know.... have been following it, it is rocketing !!! but did not buy again after my last sell. Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

ISUK:

Gnil,

It looks like your red demo car had the race seats which are much firmer than the standard seat in the black showroom car. The race seat is the same seat as those fitted in the Scuderia.

The suspension in the 458 is also the same principle as the Scuderia - it can be adjusted independently of the manetinno setting with a separate button on the centre tunnel. You can select comfort suspension for example but race mode on the TC system.

I'm reliably told that the 458 is a faster track toy than the Scuderia so there's no need to wait 2 years for a lightweight version  Take a 458 now, then trade it for a spider next year then a 458 Scud the year after and enjoy all flavours as it were. It's the Ferrari way

Yes, the car had the race seats, which I prefered to the standart seats . ( the shape of the standart  is not

made for 'my shape' Smiley

Yes, you can change the suspension independently , I think it is on the steering wheel, but I admit I did not play with all the settings. Had enough in trying to get a feel of the car in general.

If I would go for a 458, I could have one only by summer 2011..... but I am slowly starting to think about the much lesser loss of money when buying/selling a Ferrari compared to a Porsche.Smiley Maybe it is worth it !

But in my heart I feel closer to the P then the F.....

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

ISUK:

Guys,

Don't shoot the messenger. This car is a whole generation newer than the Scuderia and incorporates a lot of advancements. I think you are underestimating the improvements made to the aerodynamics, electronic traction control systems and the all important elimination of shift lag with the DCT box. Look at the number the Cali can produce in independent tests then look at it's weight and BHP. The DCT box and latest electronics are responsible for this.

+1 Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Gnil, congratulations for this super expirience!!!

in your opinion, Wich is more fast for a rolling start 2º gear to 5/6ºgear  458 or Turbo PDK?

Thanks!!!

--

PorSchelover1:

Gnil, congratulations for this super expirience!!!

in your opinion, Wich is more fast for a rolling start 2º gear to 5/6ºgear  458 or Turbo PDK?

Thanks!!!

I was not able to do a full speed 2nd to 5th gear as I got too quickly to the next town entry Smiley So I can not compare. Also, without trying them next to each other or  timing them it will be very hard to be objectiv. The 458 is very loud and the V8 screems , the 997.2 TT is silent compared to it, but is like a rocket.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

nberry:
    MKSGR:
    ISUK:

Other than weight, what does the Scud have over the 458? The 458 has 50-60 more hp, newer transmission, between aerodynamics, better brakes and probably better suspension. Why wouldn't it be faster? The weight difference is not that great.

Also, if you believe the rumors, the 997.2 turbo with less hp hp and more weight is as fast if not faster than the 458. So weight is not the only consideration.

I think that the Scuderia has the following advantages: weight (approx. 100kg), tires, and better (more focused) suspension setup. Brakes and gear-box performance will practically be the same (as far as lap time performance is concerned). Aerodynamics I cannot judge as per now Smiley I would be surprised if the 458 even managed to match the Scuderia lap time on tracks like HHR, Leipzig, NBR-GP track. On the NBR-NS the 458 might be quite fast (softer suspension, more power) Smiley

ISUK:

Guys,

Well, what we do know is that Ferrari themself claims (!) the same lap time for the 458 in Firoano as for the Scuderia. This rather underpins my view... Do you want to place a bet? I say: 458 not faster on HHR, Leipzig and other GP style tracks Smiley

I am not saying that the 458 is a bad car. I just say: don't buy it as you believe it was faster than the Scuderia. It is probably not. It is more comfortable, usable as a daily driver etc. though.

..... but I am slowly starting to think about the much lesser loss of money when buying/selling a Ferrari compared to a Porsche.

i think that's pre credit-crunch.

things might be very different now...

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

That would depend on who is driving.Smiley

BTW, assume that the 458 has the same or better track tires. The additional power and upgraded technology certain would compensate for an other deficiencies the 458 may have when compared to the Scud. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802969 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448478 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266006 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90006 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6491 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832852 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM