Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I thought this day would never come

Well apart from the birth of my daughter "i got to say that in case she ever reads this " lol,
    When i was 8 some 34 years ago i saw my first 911 turbo going flat out past me up a country lane in Devon uk,
    It was my first feeling up my spine of power , the looks the noise the air pressure as it flew past me i never forgot,
    And like many i thought one day lol,
    Then in the 70s braun shavers ran a commercial

1.08 sec in,

I though once again some day lol,

Now i am 42 single and just in the last stages of selling my house,

I have worked hard and over the years and my house has made money,

So i was thinking to myself i can treat myself to a nice car, then what did i see ,

A sweet black 997 turbo and though wtf that day has arrived ,

I can not really afford it , but my friend owns a farm so instead of buying a cheper car and a smaller house i asked him if i could buy a trailer and rent some land off him and he said sure for as long as you want mate :] ,

I have decided to go for it lol ,

If dont do it now i never will,

Every morning i expect to wake up and rethink what i am doing but much to my delight i just get more excited hehehe ,

And there is not many things left in life that make me feel like that ,

My mates think i am completely mad but they are still married lol ,

So hopfuly in the next 2 weeks or so i am buying my first Porsche and a 997 turbo at that ,

I feel like a kid on xmas eve every day at the moment,

Great forums guys by the way,

Cant wait to post my first pic

cheers dudes

waz

Re: I thought this day would never come

Im 34, but i already Know that Life is too Short to live in constant Selfrestriction! Apart from that: we usually regret the Things we havent Done. Enjoy in good Health!

wow, that is some courage!
    I think I would not be brave enough to trade a house for a car. Wish you all the best, and looking forward to seeing those pictures of your long-lived dreamcar!
    -Joost-

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

If you can't really afford it, you can't afford it, so stay away from it.

If you really can't control the urge of buying a 997 Turbo, at least get a used one, there are some pretty good offers available right now everywhere.

When going for a used car, make sure you buy it from an official Porsche dealer with a used car warranty because the engine alone costs a fortune if it needs to be replaced, you need to be aware of the maintenance cost.

To be honest: I know how it feels to make a dream come true but no dream in this world is worth putting one's future in danger. I'm not sure but I get the feeling that you just got out of a nasty divorce and while it must have been a horrible experience, just think about your daugther and her future, even if she doesn't live with you anymore.

Get a nice flat/condo, get a nice and sporty car and find yourself a new woman. Save the money for difficult times, throwing it all away on a car will make you feal good for a couple of weeks maybe but as soon as the reality checks in, you're in serious trouble.

Sorry to burst your bubble but if you can't really afford it, stay away from it. A 997 Turbo ownership can be a very expensive experience.

Btw: a lot of divorced men in their 40s do stuff like that and most of them later regret it. Me and my wife have a couple of patients who went through similar experiences and buying a nice car or throwing out the money on booze and young women won't help at all, trust me.

In the end, you end up paying the bill for everything. Not worth it.

Take a nice holiday, maybe invite a nice girl with you (there are plenty out there) and enjoy two nice weeks at a nice beach hotel. Then, the world will look different.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

If you can't really afford it, you can't afford it, so stay away from it.

If you really can't control the urge of buying a 997 Turbo, at least get a used one, there are some pretty good offers available right now everywhere.

When going for a used car, make sure you buy it from an official Porsche dealer with a used car warranty because the engine alone costs a fortune if it needs to be replaced, you need to be aware of the maintenance cost.

To be honest: I know how it feels to make a dream come true but no dream in this world is worth putting one's future in danger. I'm not sure but I get the feeling that you just got out of a nasty divorce and while it must have been a horrible experience, just think about your daugther and her future, even if she doesn't live with you anymore.

Get a nice flat/condo, get a nice and sporty car and find yourself a new woman. Save the money for difficult times, throwing it all away on a car will make you feal good for a couple of weeks maybe but as soon as the reality checks in, you're in serious trouble.

Sorry to burst your bubble but if you can't really afford it, stay away from it. A 997 Turbo ownership can be a very expensive experience.

Btw: a lot of divorced men in their 40s do stuff like that and most of them later regret it. Me and my wife have a couple of patients who went through similar experiences and buying a nice car or throwing out the money on booze and young women won't help at all, trust me.

In the end, you end up paying the bill for everything. Not worth it.

Take a nice holiday, maybe invite a nice girl with you (there are plenty out there) and enjoy two nice weeks at a nice beach hotel. Then, the world will look different.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Wow its like you know me and i can see how many men my age can fall into this trap,

I was going to buy a used one about 2007 model 0ne owner main dealer , also i have the money in cash i wont need any from of credit to buy it,

There is alot more than just selling my house going on at the moment and i would not mind talking about it privately but i dont think this forums is the place,

I didn't want to intrude into your private life, sorry about that. Just worrying...

If you think you can pay for the car and the maintenance without getting close to bankruptcy, get it.

--

No offence taken mate,

Thanks for your concern,

cheers

Waz

David

a few words...and difficult to find the right ones.

From a side i can tell you are strong,i think to have no courage to do a thing like this, and thanks to remember me how i'm lucky.

And from the other side i think there is a few madness in your decision.

But you are are not under 18 years old,so if your heart tell your minds to do this,and your minds are "on",ok,do it and enjoy it,a Turbo is a special "thing"

GOOD LUCK!

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

It's JUST a car and it will depreciate like a stone, buy a 911 turbo from the 80's if that is special to you

I think this link says it all lol ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YveOZJufDEg

Btw 997 turbos are holding there money very well in the uk , still not an investment sure but you could do alot worst,

peace

waz

Do not get the car!

You should only buy a luxury car if it represents 10 % or less of your total net worth. Expensive luxury vehicles are only for wealthy people who can afford them.

You are only young, 42 years old!  Look at the positive side of where you are. At your age you could do whatever you wanted, start a new business or career. If you have no debts you are in a great financial position.

You should concentrate more on building good relationships with people and not meaningless possessions.

Take RC's advice, go on a holiday and purchase another property. If you still are obsessing about the Porsche when you get back from holidays then hire a Porsche for a week. Smiley

@ David,

I would never go ahead with the buy if I was you, in investment/financial terms it really will set you back years.  I have been wanting to buy a "supercar" since joining Rennteam but have put other things first such as investment's, family etc etc. In May 2005 (on joining Rennteam) I seriously thought I was ready but I clearly was not. However in the next 18 month I should be ready to pull the buying trigger, so if you look when I registered here on Rennteam that would make it a 6 1/2 yr wait which after doing was definitely the correct decision..

If you have any dust to settle then let it settle and then readdress the situation..

All the best anyway..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:

@ David,

I would never go ahead with the buy if I was you, in investment/financial terms it really will set you back years.  I have been wanting to buy a "supercar" since joining Rennteam but have put other things first such as investment's, family etc etc. In May 2005 (on joining Rennteam) I seriously thought I was ready but I clearly was not. However in the next 18 month I should be ready to pull the buying trigger, so if you look when I registered here on Rennteam that would make it a 6 1/2 yr wait which after doing was definitely the correct decision..

If you have any dust to settle then let it settle and then readdress the situation..

All the best anyway..

Holy crap, I've been on Rennteam for almost six years. Smiley

BTW no supercar yet, but I'm only about Mike's age ... Smiley

I know it's tempting but if I were in your shoes, I would buy a nice flat (so that your daughter has a nice place to stay when she visits you - rather than a trailer on some rented land - and who knows, you might meet someone new to share your life with), a sports car (that you can actually afford - like perhaps a pre-owned Boxster or BMW) and I would invest the rest in things that will make you money.

The property market will pick up soon - inflation is already starting to rise - so interest rate rises are inevitable later this year IMO.

After a divorce, I'm sure it takes a few years to earn back the money lost through the settlement. You're still only 42 years old, you have plenty to look ahead to but you need to re-build your life by focussing on the priorities first - luxuries come later. Plus, you need a pension and savings which you need to start building up from now - so that you aren't working all your life.

Just my 2 cents - hope it all works out for you Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Not the answers you expected, I'm sure!  But each bit of advice is sound. 

I don't think there's one person on this forum who didn't grow up dreaming that one day.......... 

--

throt:

.... in the next 18 month I should be ready to pull the buying trigger....

Great news throt Smiley It will be a sweet moment - and you'll need to change your RT signature to "I finally did it!" Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Arshad:

Not the answers you expected, I'm sure!  But each bit of advice is sound. 

I don't think there's one person on this forum who didn't grow up dreaming that one day.......... 

Your dam right its not the replys i was expecting lol,

All of the replys where very good advice for sure,

I have owned a  Jags , bmw , fast fords , some custom cars like this one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=RSZLUwiQUIk&feature=related

over the years ,

I just want to live the dream of owning 911 turbo and as completely mads as it is i am still going to buy one,

I have never been the kind of person to sit on a bar stool and say " yeah i was going to get one once " lol

As for owning a cheaper Porsche please dont think i am disrespecting Porsche cars as they are all very well put together but there is only one Porsche for the road worth owning imo and that is of course 911 turbo,

Thanks very much for all your all your advice guys

cheers

waz

Well, since your heart is definitely set on getting one, all I can say is enjoy it mate!

--

I have the same dream. Buying a 911 turbo.

But I would never do that. Buying a trailer to get a 911? C'mon. You're not gonna park a 997 turbo in front of a trailer, are you?

I'm 29 years old. I probably have years of waiting in front of me. If I'm lucky, I will be able to get one when I'm 50. And that's fine by me. I'll wait. 

If you've never driven one, rent one for a week. just a carrera for instance. Then, you'll know if it worth such a sacrifice.

2 years ago, I had a job at porsche. I drove porsches for a month (997 CS, 997GT3, 997Turbo, Boxsters, caymans and cayennes). At that time, I can tell you that I had a blast. But now, I'm about to buy a nice big house and I can tell you that compared to that, a prosche is nothing.

Sure, I still want a porsche, but at the end of the day, it's just a car.  Just my 2 cents

easy_rider911:
    throt:

.... in the next 18 month I should be ready to pull the buying trigger....

Great news throt Smiley It will be a sweet moment - and you'll need to change your RT signature to "I finally did it!" Smiley

Thank you, easy..

"I finally did it" Smiley Smiley...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

amazon:

I have the same dream. Buying a 911 turbo.

But I would never do that. Buying a trailer to get a 911? C'mon. You're not gonna park a 997 turbo in front of a trailer, are you?

I'm 29 years old. I probably have years of waiting in front of me. If I'm lucky, I will be able to get one when I'm 50. And that's fine by me. I'll wait. 

If you've never driven one, rent one for a week. just a carrera for instance. Then, you'll know if it worth such a sacrifice.

2 years ago, I had a job at porsche. I drove porsches for a month (997 CS, 997GT3, 997Turbo, Boxsters, caymans and cayennes). At that time, I can tell you that I had a blast. But now, I'm about to buy a nice big house and I can tell you that compared to that, a prosche is nothing.

Sure, I still want a porsche, but at the end of the day, it's just a car.  Just my 2 cents

Yes your right i am going to park it outside my trailer ,well its not a trailer more a custom mobile home , i also bought a 20ft container to house my 911,

Now when you say your buying a nice big house do you mean you have 1/2 millonish quid in your back pocket or are you stapping yourself up with credit for the next 25 to 30 years ?

Because a mortgage is not owning your own hame mate its a millstone round your neck for the best part your life

I have been there done that and now i have a chance to do some stuff i have allways wanted todo

I dont have enought money left to buy another house out right and i dont feel like strapping myself up with mortgage at the moment , i need some time out lol

By the way i am a mechanical engineer , i have driven some very cars and bikes over the years

So I had very high expectations of 997 turbo before i had driven one and its not often i find things that surpass my expectations but when i had my first test drive , best part of one hour btw at my very helpful local Porsche dealer tonbridge kent,

My lasting thoughts where how can it be that good by far the best car i have ever driven

Cheers all

waz

I would stick to a used car still... Or a cheap lease. Keep the cash at hand, you never know.

I am buying a used one mate :]

Even after buying my 911 and mobile home i still have enought left to see me for a few years without working if a wanted to, i would never be buying it if i was skint or near it lol

cheers

waz

Hey Waz, good on you for living life the way you want to and not let others dictate what you do.  I actually think living in a mobile home and having a trailer to store your car is pretty cool!  As long as you are living within your means, and clearly you are, and you can still be employed, why not?  Who knows, once you have the 997TT, you may end up with some rich woman as cars like these can lead you to the "right" circle of people! :)

WAY:

you may end up with some rich woman as cars like these can lead you to the "right" circle of people! :)

We have now come to the conclusion..Smiley..

But when inviting her back for a coffee, where would you take the hottie ?..

Dave, just say you own all the the land and that your just about to start a huge complex..Smiley Smiley..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

I say do it! life is short, and you seem to have put some thought into this and you are also financially cushined for a couple of years! Run with it, if you get bored, well just go back...

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Calling David, calling David, are you there buddy...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

1275681544529DSC_4977.JPGDSC_4982.JPGDSC_4984.JPG1275681607685DSC_4988.JPG12756816470701.jpg12756816625812.jpg12756816754293.jpg12756816954534.jpg12756817158045.jpg1275681790780HPIM2262.JPG1275681856307HPIM2263.JPG1275681900034HPIM2264.JPG1275681947198HPIM2265.JPGI am very sorry guys i have not given a update to my plans ,

Not everything went as planed lol ,1275681402287DSC_4964.JPG1275681441662DSC_4974.JPG1275681454681DSC_4975.JPG

Nice ride David

Care to elaborate on the "not everything went as planned" part?

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688496 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408685 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234765 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65384 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773336 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM