Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Carrera GT driven on Suzuka Circuit

Porsche Carrera GT driven on Suzuka Circuit Gan san's first impression of the Porsche Carrera GT, few months before he took delivery of his personal Carrera GT.

--
    Porsche and other cars video collection

Re: Porsche Carrera GT driven on Suzuka Circuit

That's the first time I hear someone say the dampers on a CGT are too soft?

--

well we have a couple members here who can tell us whether this guy knows what he is talking about or whether he is full of crap, regarding the claim of lackluster acceleration, nose dive on entering corners (i thought that was adjustable) ............. as far as the tires lacking grip, I think that has been reported many times, makes me wonder why they aren't made in more than 1 compound and why they aren't made by more than 1 company.

racerx:

............. as far as the tires lacking grip, I think that has been reported many times, makes me wonder why they aren't made in more than 1 compound and why they aren't made by more than 1 company.

The tires are pretty temperature sensitive and also seem to get less grippy with calendar age as well as heat cycles.  A freshly molded set operated up to temperature are pretty damn grippy on the track, although they're no substitute for race-compound slicks.

They seem almost dangerous below about 45-50F on the street.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow + 2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray +1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau +2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

racerx:

well we have a couple members here who can tell us whether this guy knows what he is talking about or whether he is full of crap, 

Well, he was the main development driver for Bridgestone tires to be accepted as N-designation for Porsche, and also the main (handling) test driver for NSX in addition to many racing victories.  Absolutely amazing.  You should also watch some of his Nurburgring videos.  I think he knows what he's talking about better than anyone else on this board.

They end this video saying that there will be updates to his Carrera GT ownership experience later on, but I've never seen another footage of him with his CGT.

W8MM:
    racerx:

............. as far as the tires lacking grip, I think that has been reported many times, makes me wonder why they aren't made in more than 1 compound and why they aren't made by more than 1 company.

The tires are pretty temperature sensitive and also seem to get less grippy with calendar age as well as heat cycles.  A freshly molded set operated up to temperature are pretty damn grippy on the track, although they're no substitute for race-compound slicks.

They seem almost dangerous below about 45-50F on the street.

Are there still no MPSCups available in the Carrera GT sizes?

For me Gan San's is probably one of the best drivers out there, that can review a car, and can take it to the limit without sweating !!!!

This guy is an icon !!!!!, I really enjoy his battles in BM, although I dont know if he is still active in BM 2009-2010 ???

--

Jean:
    racerx:

well we have a couple members here who can tell us whether this guy knows what he is talking about or whether he is full of crap, 

Well, he was the main development driver for Bridgestone tires to be accepted as N-designation for Porsche, and also the main (handling) test driver for NSX in addition to many racing victories.  Absolutely amazing.  You should also watch some of his Nurburgring videos.  I think he knows what he's talking about better than anyone else on this board.

They end this video saying that there will be updates to his Carrera GT ownership experience later on, but I've never seen another footage of him with his CGT.

I just looked him up. I see he was formula 2000 winner in 1973. Senna did a lot of work for the NSX.  Being a corporate hack means he plays well with others, often no reflection of talent.

Of the japanese drivers who made to F1, not many are thought of as top notch. The reason I am responding and saying any of this is because his laps looked extremely conservative. I saw no drifting or sliding.

One of the fastest drivers I ever saw in person and on TV was Stefan Bellof. He would slide an F1 car like crazy, toying with it, having fun, and at the same time being one of the quickest.

This guy is probably quite technically skilled but those laps did not look to daring to explore the car enough and his corporate masters were planning their own supercar at the time, the NSX-2, so that means I take what he says with a grain of salt.

racerx:
    because his laps looked extremely conservative. I saw no drifting or sliding.

It states in the video that he is not going to take it to full throttle as it was his first drive in CGT.  Even Senna had a lot of respect for this guy.  As I said, look up some of his N-ring videos on Youtube.  You might change your mind about repects.  What corporate masters are you talking about?  He does not belong to Honda.

You said he was development driver for the NSX. The NSX was built by Honda. If you understand japanese culture you understand what I said. And since it was a break-in get to know ya exercise, how can he possibly make such comments especially saying it does not feel like it has 600 hp.

I had this is mind when I made my previous comments, have not seen it in years, do not remember what he says. But if this guy made the same critical remarks, I would not have doubts.

He was also a development driver for Nissan GT-R, Honda S2000, and tire development driver for Porsche.  What I meant is that he does not belong to one company.  Wouldn't you think that this Japanese guy is able to speak freely about his opinion since he purchased a CGT as opposed to the German television presenter Tim Schrick?

Besides, all that drifting looks good but lap time is slower.  

Jean:

Besides, all that drifting looks good but lap time is slower.  

Sounds like a quote from an SCCA bible.  That is why I specifically mentioned Bellof. A lot of crap about stopping before the corner, no drifting yadda yadda........... All the best drivers Senna, Prost, Bellof all drifted thru corners, I saw it. Places like silverstone showed it the best.

Big difference between talent and schooling/learning.

Jean:

Even Senna had a lot of respect for this guy.  As I said, look up some of his N-ring videos on Youtube.  You might change your mind about repects.

I assume they worked together on the NSX´s development? I´d be curious about CGT´s owners on the board, I also had the feeling that the car would have more potential than Porsche initially extracted. I spoke to one of the SportAuto record holders on the Nürburgring and, in his opinion, the performance was very competitive and´d have to be seen in relation to the production volume. A small-scale manufacturer´d (such as Caterham, Donkervoort or Radical) have to meet less legal requirements which would make the cars lighter and easier to handle. The weight of the CGT seems to be an inevitable effect of that and, in conjunction with the comparatively civilized tires, defines the performance limit on that car. From its execution (engine driveability, suspension setup) the car seems to be marvellous, if only Porsche would offer an updated and contemporary tire choice.

I still have the feeling that Porsche could´ve improved the track performance, e.g. compared to the Enzo and MC12 on the Nürburgring. Nonetheless, one of the cars to acquire some day.. Smiley

racerx:

Sounds like a quote from an SCCA bible.  That is why I specifically mentioned Bellof. A lot of crap about stopping before the corner, no drifting yadda yadda........... All the best drivers Senna, Prost, Bellof all drifted thru corners, I saw it. Places like silverstone showed it the best.

Big difference between talent and schooling/learning.

Oh Jesus...

Senna and Bellof "drifted" through the corners because of the cars setup. Prost was different and drove very neatly to the point that sometimes it looked like he was having some serious problems with his car and everyone (well except you , of course) knows that. It's the same thing today with drivers like Alonso and Hamilton. Alonso likes understeering cars, Hamilton likes oversteering cars.

Also, according to you the only drives that know how drive are the guys in the Trophé Andros. It must be their superior knowledge and skills, nothing to do with longitudinal vs. laterlal grip of the tires.

And Bellof managed to be among the quickest in the field exactly one time. That was in the Monaco GP in 1984 under heavy rain. The reason why he was so fast was because he had a NA engine and the front runners all had very peaky 1,5L turbocharged engines.

just out of curiosity, how do you rate his driving skills in this video?

And in this one?

Your opinion of Bellof appears to be different from mine and many others. Wasn't he rather quick on the NBR?

I have never seen anyone drift a corner better than Prost at Silverstone.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762149 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435206 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260436 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257494 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80918 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872065 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807460 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM