Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Press Release: 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo...

I didn't go for the aerokit because the front of the car is then very vulnerable to damage from road humps (used extensively here in the UK to tame speed in residential areas) and other problems with the roads - it compromises the everyday practicality of the car. If I was tracking the car extensively, I might have added the aerokit but I might then have gone for a GT3 instead. For the same reason, I didn't go for the painted front spoiler lip, the black one is inexpensive and simple to replace if it gets caught on something. Keeping that one black rules out painted side skirts and rear-undertray because the car looks unbalanced.

Key to realise about options is the profit margin is high, so the salesman is keen to encourage you to indulge and when it comes to re-sale will express regret that these options add nothing to the residual value of the car.

Grouping my options into different categories with UK pricing (multiply by about 1.6 to USD, prices include sales tax)...

Basic Car: Aqua Blue, Dark Grey natural Leather, Adaptive Sports Seats, RS Spyder Wheels (£103452)

Standard, Non-delete on UK cars: VTS, Rear parking sensors, top tint windscreen, phone module, iPod adapter (£1759)

"Performance Options": PDK, Sport Chrono, PTV, Paddles (£6779)

"Comfort Options": Sunroof, Cruise, Mats (!), CD Changer, Heated Seats, Rear Wiper (NCO), Headlights (£2431)

"Cosmetic Options": Painted Centre Console, Painted Door Trims, Embossed headrests, illuminated door sills, silver belts, leather PDK surround (£1680)

The most obvious omission is PCCB and there is a case to include them but I was out of budget.

It's the cosmetic options list which is the longest and most ready to trap you. Some options add cost with (IMHO) little value: Leather seat backs, leather loudspeaker grilles, painted PCM surround? - all more than $1500 each and worthless at re-sale time. The same again for a TV Tuner which costs more than a 42" plasma.

I didn't feel the need to add anything further to the outside of the car and included a sprinkle of interior options to add visual interest. Others will choose differently - coloured dials, more leather, carbon, aluminium, wood (if you must!) - but it's throw-away money and it's easy to make the car feel "yours" without going mad.

yup...totaly agree.

it's silly how much we have to spend on options to get our cars to look and feel the part. many options should be standard.

remember the old graphite look of the 997.1 pcm ? absolutely horrendous. wanna change it ? at least 1.5k $ to go for leather or color to sample,

have a look at the interior of my 997.1 turbo. i just went for all leather to make the car look 'right'.

1261383307771Interior5.JPGInterior6.JPGInterior7.JPG

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

@MarkN: Very very nice Turbo, great configuration! I love those RS Spyder wheels! Congratulations!

MarkN, thanks for the reply..

very logical I think!Smiley

why didnt you opt for comfort seats with ventilation? the dealer persuades me that comnfort seats are also very good for sporty driving?

PTV - does it include LSD in itself?

why did you opt for RS Spyder wheels?

thanks! 

Comfort seating with ventilation is very useful if Launch Control gets the better of your bowels...

Great car Mark...many congrats..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

LIke many other things in life, it's the details that count and satisfy.  I chose leather defroster vents, and leather seat bases, and I notice them each time I get in the car.  Quirky but that's me....

artur777:

yes

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

artur777:

why didnt you opt for comfort seats with ventilation? the dealer persuades me that comnfort seats are also very good for sporty driving?

why did you opt for RS Spyder wheels?

- Seat ventilation is only available with the standard seats and they don't provide enough lateral support for me.

- PTV includes the LSD

- RS Spyder Wheels - largely cosmetic though there is some small unsprung weight benefit

Wonderbar:

LIke many other things in life, it's the details that count and satisfy.  I chose leather defroster vents, and leather seat bases, and I notice them each time I get in the car.  Quirky but that's me....

Indeed, when it comes to the cosmetic options, there are no absolute rights, it's down to personal preference but for that reason, value retention is low (if that's important) and some extreme choices may make the car difficult to sell. Plus, your friends may laugh at you...

MarkN:

Here's what Santa brought me yesterday...

DSC_2904.JPG

My sincere congratulations. A wonderful car with a powerful and delightful colour. The interior with the exterior paint applications are very reasonable as well and underscores the overall impression pretty well.Smiley
    Enjoy this great Turbo that I could test already and always in good health.

I now understand why Santa brought me my gift, a X5M, only until 23rd. He was very busy and of course also had to fly from England to Munich with the reindeer.SmileySmiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 
    More pics:
    http://www.dayboox.com/group/Connys%20Galerie

Mark,

Great turbo, fantastic looking car, I envy you my friend, congrats!!!!! I am still milling over a 997.2 turbo and are getting closer to ordering one. With the PDK option, did you consider the flappy paddle gear levers instead of the one on the steering wheel? I still cannot get to grips with my buttons on my CTT, did you have the option?

Cheers,

Mark

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

hard to see from this photo, but he has the paddles.  that car is going to be incredible, enjoy in good health, and try not to go to jail for excessive speed.  i am pretty sure jail is where i would end up.image.png.jpeg

Aha, cheers !!! thanks of pointing out. Regards Mark

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I have the paddles and they are great to use - they fall easily within reach of your fingers and there's no confusion with the 4 other control stalks behind the wheel (4, if you have cruise).

The weather in the UK has been foul since I got the car but there's every indication you can end up going a lot faster a lot quicker than you expect and increasing use of average speed cameras here makes cruise control essential. The main benefit for me of all this performance is on rural single lane roads where you would otherwise be stuck being a gaggle of an articulated truck and 5 cars following it. The turbo allows you to dispatch the whole lot in one rapid, safe overtaking manoeuvre.

For high speed, Germany beckons a couple of times a year plus a couple of (uninsured) laps round the NBR.

MarkN, what is the maximum allowed speed in UK on A- and B- roads?

70 mph (120 kph) on a dual carriageway (divided highway), 60 on a single lane road though, increasingly, this is being reduced to 50.

for Turbo this speed is nothing

I understand your temper...

any tracks in your location to let out the steam?

Well, yes there are, but it's the length and variety of the NBR which appeals to me.

The speed limits here - and almost everywhere in Europe - are the reason why the 200-300 time means nothing to me. The 50 - 80 time is much more important to me and allows me to make good progress. Of course, there are places in Germany where there is no limit, only a recommended one, but even there, traffic congestion and road works can often slow you down. In addition, the proportion of the autobahn network where you see the magic black diagonal line on a white circle is getting smaller and smaller. Sadly, the legislators are on our case everywhere.

Mark, great car !!!! again congrats.

With PCO (Porsche Club Oman) we have meet & greet drives once a month, not sure about PCGB. OK you still need to be careful what speed you are doing but we set out fantastic routes with hardly any speed cameras. Oman is pretty strict about offences, if I go above 160 khp and I get caught I will end up in jail for atleast 48hrs, there is no waista anymore so I have to sit-out the time.

If you go to the www.rennteam.com/pco you will see pictures of our last drive, great fun, I had my CTT reguarily at 265khp, fantastic (obviously i was on my own in the car, family stayed home) still we did 270km in just over 2 hrs (including lunch)

Happy new year !!!

Best regards,

Mark

--

Beatiful colour. (Same one I wanted to order, but I had to settle for a  Silver allocation.)

Please post your driving impressions of the car.

I presume that European cars are now being delivered to customers? (Looks like we in North America have to wait a few more weeks, even though there are cars on the ground in the eastern ports).

What a beautiful looking car,  I especially like the painted bits in the interior.  Striking contrast that really pops.  Congrats and enjoy!

--

2009 Porsche Turbo Cab - Cargraphic exhaust, HRE P40's charcoal

Thank you, the weather here is foul at the moment, so it's early days. First impressions are more likely down to my move from 996 to 997 but the PDK seems excellent and I can't see anyone being disappointed by the performance. I'm impressed by the extent of the .2 facelift and I suppose we have Nissan to thank for that. The paddle wheel is great btw, quite thick as you can see and not at all as garish as I had feared.

It sounds like the first US cars are being built to a standard launch specification to get them to market. Here in Europe, it's interesing that my car was built on 7 December and just 8 days later, it was at the dealer and 3 days after that in my garage.

[Edit: worth also mentioning that due to a New Year price rise and an increase in our sales tax here in the UK (VAT), the car now costs $7700 more than it did two weeks ago. Ouch.]

Ironic!

My (Porsche spec) car was built on Nov 26, shipped to NA, unloaded off the ship on Dec 20, AND it has been left to rot under the snow and ice along with the other first shipment cars on a north-east port parking lot!  (I could have been driving it over the holidays!).

Enjoy yours - love that colour combo.

JoeTurbo:

Ironic!

My (Porsche spec) car was built on Nov 26, shipped to NA, unloaded off the ship on Dec 20, AND it has been left to rot under the snow and ice along with the other first shipment cars on a north-east port parking lot!  (I could have been driving it over the holidays!).

Enjoy yours - love that colour combo.

That's too bad cause it hasn't been a bad week Smiley

Make sure that you post some pictures when you do get it. They are generally quite  nice with a snowy background.

--

Slow In, Fast Out

MarkN:

Well, yes there are, but it's the length and variety of the NBR which appeals to me.

The speed limits here - and almost everywhere in Europe - are the reason why the 200-300 time means nothing to me. The 50 - 80 time is much more important to me and allows me to make good progress. Of course, there are places in Germany where there is no limit, only a recommended one, but even there, traffic congestion and road works can often slow you down. In addition, the proportion of the autobahn network where you see the magic black diagonal line on a white circle is getting smaller and smaller. Sadly, the legislators are on our case everywhere.

First, congrats on a great looking car, I'm sure that blue color looks even better IRL.

Second, if you're looking for unrestricted autobahn I can recommend the roads around Munich which are largely unrestricted, and especially the E53 towards Deggendorf which ends up in "nowhere" (aka DeggendorfSmiley) and therefore doesn't seem to have as much heavy trafficSmiley

alps290.jpg

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

temm:
    Second, if you're looking for unrestricted autobahn I can recommend the roads around Munich which are largely unrestricted, and especially the E53 towards Deggendorf which ends up in "nowhere" (aka DeggendorfSmiley) and therefore doesn't seem to have as much heavy trafficSmiley

alps290.jpg

Man, you guys are killing me, it's just not fair Smiley

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Mark congrats on the gorgeous car. I REALLY like the painted interior bits. Tie things together very well and look beautiful.

I think my next Porsche is going to be blue!

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Excellent, 290 and not a sweaty palm or white knuckle in sight! I assume your wide-eyed passenger grabbed the picture!

I drove on a new Autobahn last year, A21 maybe A71, I think it was, going up towards Lepizig on my way from Stuttgart. Just fantastic, deserted road, long high speed section, then 20 minutes through a series of (speed regulated) tunnels to take a break, then more high speed.

cannga:

Mark congrats on the gorgeous car. I REALLY like the painted interior bits. Tie things together very well and look beautiful.

I think my next Porsche is going to be blue!

Thanks, you can have a lot more painted of course - PCM fascia, air vents, other trim items, the door releases and it's difficult to know where to stop. I found the online configurator useful and realistic.

As for the colour, it makes a change from the silver, black and white which seem to be the most popular. Not every other colour is a triumph though. The Nordic Gold metallic is (IMHO) an insult to anyone who lives in Scandanavia and I think it's a brave person who takes the nut brown macadamia with Makassar wood highlights. Ultimately, all down to personal preference, of course.

hey mark,

would you mind posting more pictures of the car when you get the time?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776979 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441621 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262740 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260897 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85155 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5543 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880600 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815789 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM