Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren MP4-12C supercar: official press release...

nberry:

A couple of observations.

The styling of the car with wide side vents make it appear stubby. 

The push/ pull paddles on the steering column seems dangerous to me. Shifting inadvertently (easy to do with push/pull) while in a sharp turn could unsettle the car and possibly lead to lose of control. The fact that F1 drivers use it does not necessarily mean amateurs can safely use the technology.

With all the state of the art technology, the McLaren will need excellent support service centers. I don't see that happening anytime soon as least in the US.

Only few centers...I guess 2-3 in USA

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

sound from Ring testing

--

What a great sound! WOW

Way too muffled... damned turbos...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Sounds better than 458  Smiley

nberry:

A couple of observations.

The styling of the car with wide side vents make it appear stubby. 

The push/ pull paddles on the steering column seems dangerous to me. Shifting inadvertently (easy to do with push/pull) while in a sharp turn could unsettle the car and possibly lead to lose of control. The fact that F1 drivers use it does not necessarily mean amateurs can safely use the technology.

With all the state of the art technology, the McLaren will need excellent support service centers. I don't see that happening anytime soon as least in the US.

here the answer:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/30/mp4-12c-coming-to-america-mclaren-automotive-sets-up-north-am/

--

...and one other interesting point-DCT in MP4-12C is produced by Graziano. It will be the first sportscar that will use new 7speed DCT from Graziano. It is good for up to 750Nm and Graziano is working on stronger 900Nm version(hint for more powerfull McLaren models).

So, current DCTs are from:

ZF-Porsche PDK

Borg Warner-Audi S Tronic(all versions) and VW DSG

Getrag-BMW M DCT and Ferrari DCT

Graziano-McLaren MP4-12C

mv:

Sounds much worse than the 458...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

KresoF1:

...and one other interesting point-DCT in MP4-12C is produced by Graziano. It will be the first sportscar that will use new 7speed DCT from Graziano. It is good for up to 750Nm and Graziano is working on stronger 900Nm version(hint for more powerfull McLaren models).

ZF-Porsche PDK

Graziano-McLaren MP4-12C

Thanks for the info, Kreso. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

REALZEUS:
    mv:

Sounds much worse than the 458...

No way that this sounds better than a 458. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

KresoF1:

ZF-Porsche PDK

Graziano-McLaren MP4-12C

thanks for the specification, I remember Reginos wrote about the name of the supplier "Oerlikon-Graziano"

I found this article about CCM brakes made by AP Racing

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIGTRCCM1&c=BR&year=2009&make=NISSAN&model=GT-R

--

McLaren Automotive website presents the MP4-12C from the inside-out

www.mclarenautomotive.com - great design, performance and innovation: online and on-road

As with the car, the new website is 'pure' McLaren - innovative, exciting and a design that's driven by functionality

McLaren Automotive has launched a new website to act as an engaging and informative online showroom for the new MP4-12C. Future customers and McLaren car enthusiasts can view the 12C in detail through an animated 'explosion' of the car's technical features at www.mclarenautomotive.com

McLarenAutomotive.com has been developed to reflect the design ethic of all future McLaren sports cars; all features are intended to enhance the experience of users. The front page of the website presents the new performance car in exploded form, which clearly depicts the way in which the car has been designed from the inside out and entirely around the driver.

The opportunity to explore how technical innovations have shaped the new 12C is a highlight of the site, which employs Adobe Flash 10 3D to bring its content to life. An intuitive navigation system improves the user experience, dynamic edge caching increases the download speed of site data and written content is optimized to ensure Mclaren.com is at the top of natural search listings.

McLaren Automotive Head of Marketing, Lianne Daly, said: "It is vitally important that potential customers of McLaren Automotive across the globe are able to see the unique properties of the MP4-12C and gain an understanding of why we are claiming that this car will set new performance and efficiency standards in the core sports car market."

Daly continued: "Until the car is physically presented in showrooms in early 2011, this website will be the only publicly-available source of official information relating to our range of high performance sports cars. Visitors to McLarenautomotive.com can now explore the interior and exterior of the car in beautiful detail and over the coming months time we will add more engaging content."

In addition, users will be able to view a gallery of images from McLaren Automotive's past and present and also tap into 'The Insider', a blog that will be regularly updated with developments from the depths of the McLaren Technology Centre.

--

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.ASpx?AR=243828

McLaren to shift MP4 production

The first batches of McLaren MP4-12C supercars will be assembled at the company’s Technical Centre in Woking if a planned new factory can’t be built in time.

A contingency plan is being drawn up because the first customer cars are due to be delivered in November next year, even though work on the new plant has yet to start.

McLaren received planning permission a couple of weeks ago for a new 18,000sq ft factory, which is due to be built close to its Woking HQ.

But there are doubts whether the new factory can be finished in time. Its construction will be a huge job because it is partially below ground level.

Once the shell is complete, machinery will need to be tested, staff trained and production methods honed to a high standard on pre-production cars from late next summer. That gives McLaren just 11 months to construct and fit out the building.

“We’re looking at whether the first cars can be built with the current network of McLaren facilities,” said the company.

McLaren could use the assembly area in the MTC where it has been building Mercedes SLRs. Between two and three cars a day can be assembled there. That would tide McLaren over until the economy recovers in 2011/12, when the brand new plant could be on stream.

Ultimately McLaren needs a new factory to fulfil its ambitions of making 4500 supercars a year, a similar level to Ferrari, although this is unlikely to be reached until 2015/16, when a range of at least three MP4 variants is planned.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/McLaren-MP4-12C/243830/

McLaren MP4 spider planned

McLaren’s planning permission application for its new MP4-12C assemble facility included a factory plan showing shopfloor area given over to a ‘Webasto RHT Sub Assembly’ area.

This is a reference to the retractable hard-top (RHT) with which the forthcoming MP4 Spider is expected to be fitted.

The company says that factory layout has since been superseded and that Webasto is only “one of several potential suppliers”.

Autocar sources say the powered, folding hard-top for the MP4 Spider will feature lightweight construction, probably in alloy but possibly carbonfibre.

From the articles:

nov 2010 first cars delivered to customers?

coupé and spider version ok...but the 3rd? is it a track-oriented one?

--

Well had a nice call from the folks at Woking today.

No new news though, just a courtesy call to see if I had any more questions at this stage.... looks like they'll be appointing dealers first and then passing on inquiries to them, whilst McLaren HQ is collating all the interest they are not taking the enquiries any further. Their network should start being announced 'early next year'... no other timescales though.

Have now seen a disguised one on the road though (other half lives about 2 miles from their development centre), sounds VERY nice.... even at legal speeds.. but beyond the cow disguise was impossible to determine if it looks better or worse than the official pics.

Think I'll be chomping at the bit by the time this comes around as am just reacquainting myself with the Diesel pumps having taken on a long commute...

Auto Express: "McLaren Spider is out in the open"

Secret roadster version of McLaren MP4-12C revealed as lightweight 600bhp machine will hit top speed of 200mph...

McLaren-MP4-12C_Spider.jpg

It's only just been revealed to the public... but the new McLaren has already blown its top! Auto Express has learned that the Surrey-based company is planning to produce a Spider version of its MP4-12C supercar. And here is an exclusive look at how the stunning drop-top will look.

Going head-to-head with the Ferrari 458 Italia Spider, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder and forthcoming Mercedes SLS AMG Cabriolet, the McLaren will boast a retractable hard-top, potentially the work of convertible expert Webasto. Layouts released of the firm’s new Woking factory show that an area of the facility has been devoted to ‘RHT [retractable hard-top] Sub Assembly’.

The tiny hood is likely to be made from lightweight aluminium or even carbon fibre, and will fold away behind the occupants’ heads ahead of the engine, slotting neatly beneath a pair of sporty buttresses.

The Spider is unlikely to weigh much more than its fixed-roof brother.

It will be powered by the same 600bhp 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8, and should reach 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds and accelerate on to 200mph – roof-up, of course. But the model won’t come cheap – buyers will have to pay a significant premium over the £150,000 coupé version, with prices likely to start at around £175,000.

McLaren-MP4-12C-Spider_AutoExpress-Link

Smiley

McLaren-MP4-12C_silver.jpg

McLaren-MP4-12C_Air-Brake_Video-Link

Smiley

CAR interviews Ron Dennis on the McLaren MP4-12C...

(23 October 2009) 

Ron Dennis on why build the MP4-12C...

‘It’s understandable why people ask the question “why now”, but the answer to that question lies in the statistics of F1. When I first entered F1 in 1966, there was only one other brand that’s still in the pitlane – and that’s Ferrari. If you want to build longevity into your motorsport company and protect the jobs of so many people, then you’ve got to broaden the base.’

Ron Dennis on the MP4-12C’s electronic systems...

‘Mclaren Electronics leads the world in high-performance control systems – we provide systems for all Formula 1 and IRL [Indy Racing League] cars. In the next three months we start flight testing for the biggest piston engine aircraft manufacturer. We’ve used that knowledge to supply a very advanced control system for this car. We’ve tried to balance between driver satisfaction and safety… so the car is programmable into a condition that protects the driver in low-grip environments.’

Ron Dennis on the McLaren MP4-12C’s carbon monostructure...

‘Normally these carbon tubs are made of lots of little bits bonded together, but ours is made in one hit so it’s cheaper and quicker to produce – four hours per structure. Our forecast for 2011 is 1000 cars, so if we’re cycling the most complex part every four hours we’re not doing badly. The monostructure is not going to be the bottleneck. It’s patented, but it’s not part of business plan to sell on the monostructure technology.’

Ron Dennis on the competitors...

‘We don’t single anyone out. We’re saying we’re going to be best in class. We want to make a car that is, from a pricing standpoint, a segment under the class competitors. That’s the unique selling proposition: the same for less. The MP4-12C will definitely cost less than £175,000.’

Ron Dennis on design...

‘There are some great cars – the Jaguar E-type, McLaren’s own F1 – that have timeless design. But for me, the most beautiful piece of design is the RB71 fighter plane. No-one styled it, the look has come from creating performance.’

Ron Dennis on having weekends...

‘I’ve had a bit more time, because I've focussed on McLaren Automotive and made a conscious decision in November [2008] to hand over the team principal’s position to Martin [Whitmarsh]. I did so at the launch of the vehicle to demonstrate the commitment to the people who invest in you.’ So now I get the odd weekend off. I still take a monster amount of paperwork home, but I just choose when I do it. I started [Formula One] in 1966 and I certainly haven’t missed a GP since 1980-something, and you suddenly find things that other people take for granted. I’ve quite recently started to drive my McLaren F1 road car that I’ve owned for 12 years and have just taken it over 1000 miles. I also like to ski and shoot. I love the ocean and I like to scuba dive.’

Ron Dennis on the demise of KERS, Formula One’s Kinetic Energy Recovery System...

‘Well, first thing, KERS is permitted currently next year, and the only thing that will eliminate that is if every team agrees [to outlaw it], and every team isn’t agreeing at the moment. We are relatively neutral to it, we will support the majority, so we are not the team that is holding out. F1 is Martin’s department, of course I follow it, but if you want to know which team is holding out, ask Martin. You won’t be surprised though.’

Ron Dennis on the MP4-12C’s ergonomics...

‘We don’t say an arm’s reach or a hand’s reach, but a hand’s distance – more like a piano player, so things are very close to hands. That’s the attention to detail we’ve put in.’

Ron Dennis on the 12 in the MP4-12C badge...

‘We don’t believe in BS, we wanted to come up with a designation that was actually relevant. It’s a kind of algorithm, which is a combination of drag, bhp, C02 and weight. That number will change from model to model.’ [For reference, MP4 stands for McLaren/Project 4 and is the prefix to all McLaren F1 racers; the C is a nod to the carbon monostructure. The other models Ron refers to are the yet-to-be-announced entry level and range-topping McLaren roadgoing supercar models]

Ron Dennis on revealing what the 12 actually means...

‘No! It’s our Coca Cola formula! It’s our guideline to the performance of our competition so we use it internally. Of course, we’ve rounded the number up, because it’s not a perfect number.’

Ron Dennis on driver comfort...

‘We’re aiming for Rolls-Royce ride quality as well as excellent dynamics – usually it is one or the other. I could name brands and say, drive 50 miles and you’ll enjoy it, but you won’t get out feeling refreshed. What we’ve tried to do with this car is be world class at every single thing. You are going to get a whole range of technology that is not just lined up, but fully integrated.’

Ron Dennis on cows...

‘I learned an amazing statistic the other day, that the biggest producer of emissions is actually cows. You immediately think it is gasses that they pass out of their back end, but in fact it is 90% out of their mouth and only 10% out of their rear-end. To me that was truly amazing.’

McLaren-MP4-12C_Ron-Dennis-interview.jpg

McLaren-MP4-12C_Car-Magazine-article-link

Smiley

the most interesting thing is this :)

Ron Dennis on the competitors...

‘We don’t single anyone out. We’re saying we’re going to be best in class. We want to make a car that is, from a pricing standpoint, a segment under the class competitors. That’s the unique selling proposition: the same for less. The MP4-12C will definitely cost less than £175,000.’

--

For those of us not in the UK, what does GBP175k buy you these days?

I'm not in the UK, but I think for that much you can have a 997.2 GT3RS and a Lotus Exige S.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

McLaren MP4-12C Development Insight... (official video)

Smiley SmileySmiley

WOW - insane Video! Worth to watch it, very informative and entertaining!

not properly related but in a certain way yes..

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109111623082/mercedes-and-mclaren-to-be-f1-rivals--zetsche

Zetsche admitted that the relationship between Mercedes and McLaren was affected by the Woking based outfit's independent move into sports car manufacturing.

"That was not the interests of Daimler and Mercedes-Benz," he said.

--

andrea:

Zetsche admitted that the relationship between Mercedes and McLaren was affected by the Woking based outfit's independent move into sports car manufacturing.

"That was not the interests of Daimler and Mercedes-Benz," he said. 

If you hold that statement up to a mirror you should be able to read:

"McLaren admitted that the relationship between Mercedes and McLaren was affected by the Stuttgart-based outfit's move away from REAL sports car manufacturing by developing the Mercedes McLaren SLR.
    Come back Gordon Murray. All is forgiven.  The McLaren F1 was in the best interests of the McLaren company. Screw Daimler and Mercedes-Benz!"  Smiley

--

fritz

Gordon Murray is a great designer...

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/McLaren-MP4-12C/245628/

--

********** McLaren MP4-12C around Dunsfold test track with Jay Leno **********

McLaren-MP4-12C_Jay-Leno.jpg 

The Formula One specialist comes up trumps with an exciting model that will give Porsche and Ferrari a run for their money...

(Article by Jay Leno for The Sunday Times, 20 December 2009)

You know, a trip to the UK for me is a pretty rare thing. Last time I was in England was 10 years ago and that was also for a visit to Woking, Surrey — when I bought one of the McLaren F1 road cars, a model many regard as the best car of all time. I have to agree.

So when the guys at McLaren asked if I’d like to come and see the new road car, the MP4-12C, I accepted.

The first key element I was shown was the one-piece carbon-fibre tub. Onto this hollow, lightweight structure are bolted the rest of the components. That means repairs can be made easily.

If the tub is the backbone of the car, its heart is a V8 motor made by McLaren. That’s when you’re really serious about producing a car with your name on it. The idea that you sit down and design what you think the motor should be and how you want it to be. It gives the car personality and its own unique sound. That’s what it’s all about. I mean, McLaren builds racing cars so it should build its own motor. If it wasn’t using its own, like in the F1 with its BMW engine, I think it would be a whole different ball game and that’s the heart and soul of it.

But for me the icing on the cake of the day at McLaren was the chance to head down the road from Woking to the Top Gear test track at Dunsfold to have a ride in the new car.

I went out as a passenger with the factory test driver, Chris Goodwin. This was no customer drive day. They halted testing for two hours to let me do this. I was humbled. Chris explained to me that the camouflaged prototype car was in the middle of its development programme, and that they were developing the ride and hand ling. Apparently, Dunsfold is good because it’s got loads of different corners; it’s bumpy, fast, slow, with lots of changes of direction.

The MP4-12C is a completely focused automobile. It’s a car meant to go from point A to point B quickly, comfortably and in the most exciting way possible. Too many cars, especially crossover cars, make me lose interest because they look like refrigerators on wheels. I find cars to be very romantic and exciting. To me, where I am going is not nearly as exciting as how I get there. I always take the long way home and rather drive than fly.

Being in the McLaren made me feel like, if Colin Chapman, the Lotus founder, were still alive, I was in a car he would have made. Only when you go out in it do you sense how light it really is. Okay, it has a carbon-fibre tub and the lightest technology out there, but that lightness really translates to the track. It felt extremely nimble, precise and accurate. All the things a Lotus is famous for but in a package that is uniquely McLaren. I love the fact it has fought tooth and nail to get every ounce of weight out of this car and under 3,000lb (1.3 tons). It’s a revelation in this day and age.

From the passenger seat, the car felt amazing; it was obviously not a finished car but the acceleration felt extremely strong and the engine revs to 9000rpm and it shifts gear very, very quickly — a millisecond or something ridiculous thing like that. It’s certainly faster than a human could shift. It all adds up to sensory overload, but not in any sort of dangerous or scary way.

This is the first car with paddle shift that has made me accept that this is the future. I much prefer, just as I prefer a mechanical watch, a mechanical gearchange with clutch. But Chris Goodwin’s changes were sublimely smooth and fast —much faster than any human could do with a stick. It’s very exciting to witness, and if, as I say, my goal is to get from point A to point B, it really is the only gearbox possible.

It’s amazing how incredibly stable this car is. I know you’re supposed to be screaming for your life and going, “Oh my God!” but it’s so stable and slides around so easily within its area that you don’t feel panicky.

It’s hard to judge the interior as this is a preproduction test car crammed with technology, not a finished product. There was a lot of space. As much as I love the three-seat concept of the McLaren F1, there was more than enough space in this two-seater, visibility is good and the side mirrors are good. It’s a modern, practical automobile, not a dream car that you could not live with on the street. It appears to have acceptable ground clearance so you should be able to use it most places. From inside, the sound was snarly but pleasant. Any time you have twin turbos you get a little bit of a muted sound.

I thought it quite an honour to be given this chance. It was a real thrill. It was what you long for. You try to be the ultimate enthusiast. If you are a football fan, it’s like being asked to play with a team such as Manchester United. So you are with your car friends and they say, “I wonder what this new McLaren is like”, and you say, “In fact I was in it ...”, and conversation stops.

Not only do I like the compactness of the MP4-12C; I like the shape. I think it is a better-looking car than the Ferrari that it will go against and I think it has an unrivalled pedigree.

Everybody knows Ferrari; only real enthusiasts know McLaren, which I think puts you in a higher-echelon club. That’s not to say Ferraris are not impressive — they are — but you might buy a Ferrari for other reasons. You would buy a McLaren only if you were a real enthusiast.

I like the fact that for this class of car, for a car that’s meant to compete with Ferrari and Porsche, McLaren is right on the money in terms of the price. It doesn’t assume because its last car was £500,000 that this one is going to be £500,000. It understands the market and seems to be gearing up for a real fight and, you know, I think when a car like this is introduced to the market, what it does is raise the bar. Everybody realises, wow, McLaren is coming out with this and we have got to come out with something to compete. It will improve supercars across the board.

McLaren MP4-12C

Engine: 3800cc, V8
    Power: 600bhp
    Torque: 442 lb ft @ 2000rpm
    Transmission: Seven-speed ‘seamless shift’
    Acceleration: 0-60mph: less than 4sec
    Top speed: 200mph
    Fuel / CO2 / road tax band: Not available
    Price: £150,000
    Rating: 136527
    Verdict: All supercars should be like this
    On sale: Spring 2011

McLaren-MP4-12C_Jay-Leno_Sunday-Times-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Specs lower than those of the 458...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

on Evo mag the spec written was 623hp

--

Ferrari 458 Italia:
    562 horsepower
    398 lb-ft of torque (80% avail at 3,250 rpm)
    3,042 lbs dry weight
    202 mph top speed

McLaren MP4-12C:
    592 horsepower
    443 lb-ft of torque (80% avail at 2,000 rpm)
    2,866 lbs dry weight
    220 mph top speed

McLaren MP4-12C GTR rendered...

2010-Mclaren-MP4-12C-GTR_01.jpg

2010-Mclaren-MP4-12C-GTR_02.jpg

2010-Mclaren-MP4-12C-GTR_03.jpg

2010-Mclaren-MP4-12C-GTR_04.jpg

2010-Mclaren-MP4-12C-GTR_05.jpg

2010-Mclaren-MP4-12C-GTR_06.jpg

2010-Mclaren-MP4-12C-GTR_07.jpg

2010-Mclaren-MP4-12C-GTR_08-Gulf.jpg

(2 February 2010)

Jon Sibal has published a new rendering featuring a proposed McLaren MP4-12C GTR.  Jon drew up the idea in several different classic liveries, including Fina, Gulf, and Marlboro.

"I gave the car wider fenders to house four OZ wheels (with some lip) the previous F1 GTR ran back in the days," said the artist on the website.  "I also added splitters in the front and rocker panels to keep the air moving underneath as fast and clean as possible."

The artist was a big fan of the Gordon Murray design for the McLaren F1, and the GTR version that followed.  Photos of the F1 GTR are included on this page.  The follow-up rendering to the MP4-12C GTR will be a Long Tail variety, an homage to the GTR '97 Long Tail.

The 2011 McLaren MP4-12C will be launched next year with a 3.8-liter V8 engine that produces 600 hp (447 kW) and up to 422 ft-lb.  Pricing will be set at £150,000.

Jon-Sibal_McLaren-blog

McLaren-MP4-12C-GTR_WCF-article

Smiley SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777031 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441639 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262749 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260911 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85168 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5547 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880612 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815817 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM