Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche builds 10.000 Panamera in 3 months

http://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsche/pressreleases/pag/?pool=international-de&id=2009-12-14

Remember that Porsche always build cars to order. Even if a % of orders are from dealers and not from final customers, I don't think in today's climate dealers are stupid to stock up unnecessarily if there is no demand.
    --
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Re: Porsche builds 10.000 Panamera in 3 months

reginos:

http://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsche/pressreleases/pag/?pool=international-de&id=2009-12-14

Remember that Porsche always build cars to order. Even if a % of orders are from dealers and not from final customers, I don't think in today's climate dealers are stupid to stock up unnecessarily if there is no demand.

Well...I won't comment on this but I guess you know what I think about this... Smiley

Just as a hint: I know a dealer who had two Turbos and three 4S available in stock since introduction and he sold only ONE of these cars since the official introduction.

There are also already many cars available through the Porsche used car system, which is pretty unusual for such a new model.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Traditionnal Panamera bashing from some here on RennTeam ...

Plain truth ... Since its launch late October in North America, 802 units were sold ....

The car has not been introduced in its main market: China....

I suspect Porsche should be able to sell close to 20,000 units this fiscal year (July 2010).

"we have already secured over 9,000 orders" - guess the balance (10,000 minus "over" 9,000) must be the showroom cars then. Not too bad in the currently weak economic climate.

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche had a lot of "blind" pre-orders, some even up to 2-3 years old.

Also don't forget that China and Asia for example have a rising demand for such cars, it is no surprise that the 10000th car, a Panamera Turbo, goes to Singapur.

The Panamera is a great Porsche, no doubt about it. 
    I still think however that it doesn't "fit" into the current economic atmosphere because it is too big and attracts too much attention. This may look different from country to country but for Germany, this is definetely the "wrong" car right now. A size smaller may have worked but like this, no chance. Porsche started to make the next Cayenne generation "optically" smaller and rounder for a reason. I wonder why they didn't "see it coming" for the Panamera.

Time will tell, maybe I'm wrong.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

This must have been one of those pre-orders

I have had a turbo on order since July and have still not received it. My patience is wearing thin. What is the problem with the oil pan mentioned in the video?

I don't know who made this video but Germans are extremely touchy when it comes to the Third Reich and Hitler, so I almost want to make a bet that whoever made this, will be sued his ass off by Volkswagen/Porsche.

It might be funny for some people who have a very loose historic understanding but for most Germans and probably for many Jews too, this video is just tasteless, especially in connection with a delayed car delivery.

I didn't delete it yet because it is a very good example of how people use a horrible past for supposed "funny" stuff. Shame on the author, sorry.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

I don't know who made this video but Germans are extremely touchy when it comes to the Third Reich and Hitler, so I almost want to make a bet that whoever made this, will be sued his ass off by Volkswagen/Porsche.

It might be funny for some people who have a very loose historic understanding but for most Germans and probably for many Jews too, this video is just tasteless, especially in connection with a delayed car delivery.

I didn't delete it yet because it is a very good example of how people use a horrible past for supposed "funny" stuff. Shame on the author, sorry.

That was a very gentle response, actually. That video was utterly ignorant and in no way funny...There might be some humour in other dubbed versions but this one stands in no significant relation to the actual story. Smiley

Actually, as a third party I found this video very derogatory for Germans.

But besides the ethical considerations it is not even funny. You cannot even smile listening to it.

--

Are you guys Joking?

This is the most parodied video on the Web. It has been used hundreds of times for every subject. It has been posted here before on different subjects and discussed heavily.

It has nothing to do with Germany or Jews in the use of parody. Hitler was known for his temper and getting his way. That is why this is so humorous. The use of this clip is even discussed in US news magazines.

Jews - please- tell Mel Brooks not to use Hitler in parody.

http://zionism-israel.com/israel_news/2009/03/hitler-on-youtube.html

Mar. 1, 2009
    ANDREW SILOW-CARROLL , THE JERUSALEM POST 

We already knew, thanks to the Internet, that Hitler was a Dallas Cowboys fan and that he lost his Xbox account. Now it turns out he hates the parking situation in Tel Aviv, and is infuriated about a 250-shekel ticket. 

This is YouTube Hitler, the star of countless viral video parodies and the centerpiece of a renewed debate about the Holocaust, humor, and good taste. 

The parodies feature a snippet from a German miniseries about the Third Reich called Downfall. During the four-minute clip, a defeated Hitler, as portrayed by actor Bruno Ganz, rants and raves before an audience of frightened henchmen. Parodists supply their own subtitles, and the results are a Web sensation. 

The videos were back in the news after someone posted a version titled "Hitler is looking for a parking spot." After his aides explain how they were ticketed by Tel Aviv police, "Hitler" aims his fury at the city's mayor, Ron Huldai, and its elected officials. 

"All of this money goes to this corrupt city council!" Hitler screams. "These inspectors, they are all one big mafia! They are worse than the SS.!" Okay, maybe you had to be there. Or maybe not. Holocaust survivors asked YouTube to remove the video. In the meantime, the Hebrew version has been viewed 49,000 times; the English version 110,000. 

FOR SOME, the Holocaust and the Nazi era are levity-free zones. Hogan's Heroes, The Producers, and the "Soup Nazi" episode of Seinfeld each managed to offend by daring (stooping?) to reduce Nazism to a punch line. Last May syndicated columnist Susan Estrich stated the case against Holocaust humor in writing about the YouTube videos. "Hitler is not funny. Killing six million Jews is no joke," she wrote. "Sixty years, almost to the day, from the founding of Israel out of the ashes of the Holocaust, can it be that putting words to the rant of the most evil man of our time is the key to Internet fame, if not fortune?" 

It's hard to argue with Estrich if the very sight of Hitler causes pain or anguish. But others have tried to make a case for such humor if its goal or effect is to deflate the Nazis or ridicule Hitler. Call it the Mel Brooks defense. When he invokes the Nazis, says Brooks, the joke is on Hitler. 

"One of my lifelong jobs has been to make the world laugh at Adolf Hitler," Brooks explained recently in the PBS series on American humor, Make 'Em Laugh. "Because how do you get even with the man? How do you get even with him? There is only one way to get even. You have to bring him down, with ridicule." 

I can think of other ways of "getting even" (hunting down his collaborators, making Jewish babies, and preventing future genocides spring to mind), but Brooks' point is well taken. The same philosophy is behind Purim - the one Jewish holiday in which historical calamities and near-misses are treated not with reverence and dread, but with something like satire. Haman was no less a villain than Pharoah or the Roman legions. Yet, unlike Passover or Tisha B'Av, Purim has a carnival tone. It's as if the Sages were saying, "There are many responses to tragedy. Often we cry, but sometimes we need to laugh. Both help us remember and heal." 

But the YouTube videos are not parodies of Hitler, per se. Rather, they are a parody of whatever fixation is being expressed in the subtitles. When Hitler rages against the Cowboys for having dropped a playoff game against the Giants in 2007, the joke is on the obsessive fan whose inner monsters are unleashed by Tony Romo's stumbles. (As one fan commented on the Cowboys video: "This is AWESOME! It explains *exactly* what it was like to be a Cowboy fan and lose this season!") When Hitler loses it because he can't get his video game to work, it's a joke about nerds, not Nazis. 

(The joke wouldn't work nearly so well if Ganz's performances weren't so over the top. The videos also work as parody of television dramas.) I am personally much more offended by "serious" people who invoke the Nazi specter in political discourse, whether by using the odious phrase "Judenrein" to refer to the dismantling of Jewish settlements, or try to close down debate on how to confront Iran by comparing the dreadful Ahmadinejad to Hitler. 

Still, when Israelis enlist Hitler in a parody, all bets are off. So long as there are living survivors, and the wounds of the Shoah remain fresh, there are no benign satires on or involving Nazism. I can well understand the pain of a survivor who imagines a young Israeli cavalierly enlisting Hitler in a spoof. 

And yet, there is something ironic, wildly subversive, and yes, hilarious, about Hitler sweeping his hand over a map of "Tel Aviv" and complaining only about the lack of parking garages. In Hebrew, yet! If the very idea of an overcrowded Jewish state is not revenge on Hitler, then nothing is. 

The writer is editor in chief of the New Jersey Jewish News.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=hitler+%2B+youtube&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Its funny as hell and that's why its used as the butt of jokes for every subject imagineable, 

You guys are the only ones not laughing it seems. 

going on for years, the most popular form of Lampooning and yet you 2 just got wind of it 

It was a big deal a year and a half ago 

Hitler Remixes Are Big — on YouTube
    By Jenna Wortham May 14, 2008 | 9:59 am | Categories: Movies, comedy

A critically praised but little-seen movie about the last days of Adolf Hitler is getting a new lease on life online as the basis for hundreds of satirical videos.

Like Rick Astley’s "Never Gonna Give You Up" pop video from the ’80s that fueled the "rickroll" phenomenon, a 2004 German movie about Hitler’s last days in the bunker is becoming a popular internet meme.

Jokers are dubbing humorous dialogue over a pivotal scene of the movie, Der Untergang (The Downfall), which shows the beleaguered Führer yelling at his generals when told the war is over.

The Downfall clip has been ironically remixed almost 100 times, lampooning everyone from the New England Patriots for the loss of the Superbowl to gamers banned from Microsoft’s Xbox Live service.

"Man, I love the Downfall videos," said Steve Bryant, a critic who covers online video for The Hollywood Reporter and on his popular entertainment site, ReelPopBlog. "They’re kind of a Mad Lib for deductive reasoning. Who better to explain why something lost than to put the reasoning on the tongue of Hitler?"

The latest, "Hillary’s Downfall" (embedded right), pokes fun at the
    Clinton campaign. It portrays the disgruntled candidate as Hitler, blaming her generals for the loss of the Democratic nomination (which looks inevitable at this point).

"It’s completely over the top," said James Adomian, the Los Angeles-based comedian who spliced together the Clintonian Third Reich mashup. "But we wouldn’t laugh if these thoughts [that Hillary would blame her most loyal supporters] weren’t in the back of our minds."

First uploaded to YouTube May 7, "Hillary’s Downfall" has tallied more than 300,000 views. The bump in views skyrocketed Adomian’s account to the sixth-most-viewed comedian slot this week, into the realm of YouTube web comedy staples like Michael Buckley and College Humor’s video channel.

The Downfall series joins a long list of online video memes that revel in outrageously odd juxtapositions, like the group of Filipino prisoners performing Michael Jackson’s "Thriller" dance, and "The 305," a spoof cross between British comedy The Office and Frank Miller’s 300 that raked in millions of hits.

Likewise, the YouTube set can’t get enough of the Hitler remixes.

"Hitler Gets Banned (His Ultimate Downfall)" (embedded right), which follows the notorious tyrant losing access to Microsoft’s Xbox Live game service, has nabbed nearly 3 million views since its YouTube debut in late 2007.

Other Downfall videos follow Hitler’s reaction to having his car stolen, Fox News reports and tabloid paparazzi.

Adomian, who often performs his brand of political satire at the Upright Citizens Brigade and impersonated President George W. Bush in Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay, says he funneled his frustrations over the Clinton campaign into the project.

"I don’t have the resources to release my complaints in real time, like on a talk show," said Adomian. "So I thought it was cathartic to imagine what it would be like in Hillary’s bunker when they got the bad news [that she'd lost the nomination]."

Of course, Adomian’s video, like the others, isn’t about recasting the subjects — whether Clinton, Microsoft or HD-DVD — as the world’s most notorious villain.

"No sober, serious person would ever claim that Hillary is anything like Adolf Hitler," said Adomian.

Adomian says that for the most part, he’s received favorable reactions to his video. But he has received some complaints from liberal bloggers and Clinton supporters.

"Of course people say that it’s inappropriate, but they’re wrong," said Adomian. "It’s a joke. It’s not too irreverent."

At the very least, he’s happy about the way it turned out. It’s the least he can do from his couch to make a statement: "She’s still in the goddamn race right now though, isn’t she?"

reginos:

Actually, as a third party I found this video very derogatory for Germans.

Certainly not - Germans always could claim that the lunatic was an Austrian Smiley. Kidding aside: what should be regarded as "derogatory for Germans" when this moron is ridiculed ?

I can understand why people may regard such nonsense vids as tasteless or not funny - especially if they have relatives or friends who have suffered under the Nazi terror.

On the other hand one shouldn't read too much into this stuff. The quoted article on the subject (from the Jerusalem Post) is very well written and hits the nail on the head IMHO Smiley

Sometimes It's a thin line between brilliant humor and tasteless "comedy".

By coincidence I watched Charly Chaplin's "Great Dictator" yesterday once again - that's brilliant Smiley

However even Chaplin said that he wouldn't have made the movie (1940) if he would have known what was really going on in the concentration camps.

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

I posted 1 here 2 1/2 years ago and Porky and Maverick got a good laugh

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/324338/997_Public_Anxiety_Report_Negative_Reactions/page2.html

Porker posted this version about the GT-R in January 09

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20074536/Hilarious_Hitler_on_Nissans_GTR/page1.html

It's FUNNY, people like it 

Mike S posted this one

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/301125/Hitler_cant_decide_on_a_car/page2.html

You get the point 

I haven't seen Mike's post and the others.

Sorry but we have a different feel about this stuff, there is nothing funny about Hitler in my opinion.

The parody from Mel Brooks, he is a jew btw, is still history related and played during WWII.

The real problem here is that Porsche has a certain past which some people here in the forum may not be aware of. This video certainly doesn't make it better.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

I haven't seen Mike's post and the others.

Sorry but we have a different feel about this stuff, there is nothing funny about Hitler in my opinion.

The parody from Mel Brooks, he is a jew btw, is still history related and played during WWII.

The real problem here is that Porsche has a certain past which some people here in the forum may not be aware of. This video certainly doesn't make it better.

Mel brooks parody was SPRINGTIME FOR HITLER produced in 1968, 23 years after Hitlers demise  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springtime_for_Hitler

I am also aware of Brooks lineage and all the connections between Porsche and Hitler.

The only "problem" here is some people need to laugh a little more. Smiley    These parodies are funny SH1T!  Hogans Heroes was a top rated show in the 1960's in the USA and was based on making fun of Nazi's. The Private Schultz series on BBC was similiar. Monty Python did it.

Like P-J I see no reason whatsoever for anyone to not get a good laugh out of all these parodies.

But it is your site and if you want to ban that along with at 1 time wanting to ban pictures of girls - YOU CAN. But it will just kill this place off more than it is. A lot of those peopl on past threads are gone!

RC:

Ferdinand and son Ferry Porsche had a past but Porsche cars didn't exist then.

--

The company Porsche exists since 1931.

The first Porsche was actually built 1931, the Typ 12. Porsche changed the name to Typ 7, it was a car developed for the company Zündapp.

Porsche developed the "Kübelwagen" and the "Schwimmwagen" for the german Army.

After 1939, Porsche had developed tasks for the tanks Tiger, Maus and Elefant or the tank killer "Ferdinand".

Ferdinand Porsche was in a french prison for war crimes, Ferry Porsche came free because the allegations against him didn't stick. Later on, Ferry paid to bail his father out of prison.

I won't even mention that Ferdinand Porsche was an active member of the NSDAP. In 1942, he even became "Oberführer der SS", he was Hitler's favorite engineer.

Did you also know that Ferdinand Porsche was actually Czechoslovakian citizen and not German or Austrian ?! Hitler convinced him to get the german citizenship for propaganda reasons.

I bet you didn't know that... 

--

I suspected that he wasn't 100% German from the name. If you look at German phone directory you won't any other individual with this name. Thanks for the information.

Favourite engineer of Hitler? I take the liberty to post this picture

PORSCHE AND HITLER.jpeg

But all this was before the Porsche cars era starting with the 356 Nr. 1
    --

I was aware of all that ^^ and more.

But it really has nothing to do with the parodies on youtube. Do not think too deep and too serious when you see one. Just get a laugh from seeing the most powerful dictator at one time being put into the everyday guy's mundane and/or silly problems. It is a joke on hitler and it is a joke on the subject matter, dallas cowboys, xbox 360.............

I fully agree with RC, even I being Dutch find this very inappropriate. I would suggest to block the link as we need to protect our audience, mark
    --
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

I really don't care either way about these being here, but at least 3 different members posted different variations of this clip. There are hundreds of different versions for every subject imaginable on youtube. They have been viewed by more than 10 million people and are the most well known viral video's in existence. These were on other car sites before here.

They also come from a critically aclaimed movie.

What audience needs to be protected? What do they need protection from? And why do you feel capable of being appointed censor for the whole audience? Isn't that what the butt of the joke in this video did with art and books that he/they didn't like?

Just curious about this more than anything else as I don't produce any of these nor actually seek them out, just see them at other sites.

But there are some videos here that I would ban from O/T just because they are tasteless crap. They are much worse in their effect than making fun of a defeated tyrant.

racerx:

But there are some videos here that I would ban from O/T just because they are tasteless crap. They are much worse in their effect than making fun of a defeated tyrant.

Thats exactly the problem. Hitler wasn't just another defeated tyrant, the was THE mass murderer of the 20th century and videos like this one somehow make him look human, with feelings and a caring mind.

Stalin wasn't much better and I would have said the same if Idi Amin would have been involved in a video.

Maybe I'm too old to find fun in such videos with such a serious background but my grandparents actually died by the "hands" of Hitler's men, they were russian prisoners, so maybe I have a little right to be touchy here.

--

I'm a couple years older than you, I think it is cultural. I think the movie itself, if anything did, may have made hitler seem human as you say. But again too much thinking here. We are not laughing wwith hitler but at him.

Stalin was actually much worse in numbers murdered than germany. Paul Pot is up there, the communist chinese, the japanese occupation forces, many african leaders...............................

A direct personal family affiliation I can understand as being a reason for not getting the point of these video's. But for any other reason, I see no justification for getting to the point of censorship. Israelis are making versions of this in their own language.

Then I say remove all 3 threads.

I would add that none of these guys acted alone.

EricAlain:

Traditionnal Panamera bashing from some here on RennTeam ...

Plain truth ... Since its launch late October in North America, 802 units were sold ....

I suspect Porsche should be able to sell close to 20,000 units this fiscal year (July 2010).

My dealer has huge problems moving the Panamera, same applies to other dealers in Germany. Only a german phenomenon ? Maybe. As much as I actually like the Panamera Turbo, with the exception of that weird rear of course, I can understand why many people have problems with actually buying it. I passed on it for various reasons and I don't thinkt that I'm bashing the Panamera, just sorting out some facts.

Sorry but this car may have success in China or even in the US but I can't see how it can have success in Europe. In Germany, my doubts were actually confirmed.

To be honest: I don't give much on official sales figures, I had my share of experience with these figures in the past.

--

1st year figures are quite misleading, the novelty of the 1st sedan from Porsche is going to wear off after the first year.

I suspect the true acceptance gauge for the Panamera's success will lie in the sales figure for the 2nd year. It's would be the true measure, initial wait list will be gone and no one will be buying it just for the novelty factor and those who are buying it will be buying because of what the car is.

EricAlain:

Don't know where the idea that China is Panamera's target market is coming from Smiley.  Chinese people are very traditional, who I don't think will accept it in place of a S-Class any time soon.  Besides it is neither good as a family car nor a business car (for picking up client etc).  The only target customer group I can think of is empty nesters who want Porsche but find 911 a bit too hardcore, and US probabily still has the most of this group.

Monster

--

93' Guard Red 968 Coupe

Audi sold more cars in China than in Germany, just an example. I really think that Porsche targets the Chinese market, I read some internal papers which actually really indicate that. No doubt, the Panamera could fit in nicely in the Asian market but I'm also afraid you're right. Mercedes has a very strong reputation in China and other parts of Asia, it would be difficult to penetrate this market, especially the luxury sedans market.

The US is actually a good market too. People WANT to show off and I think the Panamera is a great car for showing off. If it would have been a size smaller, it could have been a success in Europe too. Right now, I just don't see it but maybe I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time regarding Porsche products.

I still think however that the next generation Panamera will be different.

--

"The US is actually a good market too. People WANT to show off and I think the Panamera is a great car for showing off"--RC.

RC, I certainly respect your views, and your dedication to this site, but I am a bit offended by the remark above.  From time to time on these forums there have been comments made (I think casually and without malice) that are derogatory to groups of people.  Thousands of people in the U.S.--me included--do not buy cars to show off, but because we love sport cars.  Sure there are people in the U.S. that do want to show off, but that's true for the rest of the world as well.  A comment as broad as "the U.S. is a good market..because...people want to show off" perpetrates a generality. It falls also into the category that everyone in the U.S. wants comfort and soft brakes.  There are well over 50,000 people in the Porsche Club of America who might disagree. 

There have also been comments (not by you) about cars looking like a "ricer", or about the emerging Asian market, that imply the chinese have bad taste or are nouveau riche.  I have traveled extensively to China over the years, and surely there are exceptions, but I found the people there wonderfully friendly and caring. 

LIke Toula's dad wisely said in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, there is no need to compare apples to oranges because "We all fruit".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691264 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410295 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256312 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235447 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65772 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858936 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775277 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM