Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: X6 M - short driving report (Rennteam)

Go for the X5M, I can imagine you having a hard time living with the c63 as it's a much smaller car than what you are used to with the cayenne, especially since you have a family.

Whoopsy:

I haven't paid much attention yet, but is the exhaust built like Aston Martin where one of the outlets each side is the primary and the other one has a flap that opens later? If so, maybe just pulling a fuse to disable the flap is enough to improve the sound. I have hear a couple of the new X Ms drove by and from the outside it sounded quite ok.

On a side note, I think I found the interior color I want, that white X5M conny997 posted has the red (BMW's orange) interior and it looks quite good. :)

@whoopsy

Here is a pic of the muffler. Y're right one of the outlets on each side is the primary and the other one has a flap that opens later. Don’t know whether it was manipulable

@ Christian

The C63 is undoubtedly a good and unremarkable car, with top performance.

But unfortunately the c63 is very narrow in the interior (you'll have noticed it). Nevertheless, the C63 does not reach the performance of a 11er, which indeed is not necessary. Why then buy a small, tight car if a comfortable car with lots of space such as the X5M is an option?

For me the X5 is so fascinating because he combines comfort with excellent driving performance. The real „all-in-one car“. Just at the moment I run very advanced discussions with my dealer. For 90% Santa will send us a X5M.SmileySmiley
    So far my wife and I are happy in advance if it works.

1260809014827Foto muffler.jpg

--

Kind regards, Conny 
    More pics:
    http://www.dayboox.com/group/Connys%20Galerie

Whoopsy:
    pride355:

It is like wanting a car with 500 hp with a fuel consumption of 9 L/ 100km.. 

Actually those Corvette Z06s gets 28mpg which is under 9l/100lm on the highway :) Real world figures too, not those government testing ones. :)

And even the 997Turbo can do around 10l/100km for highway speeds.

But we do get your point :)

Smiley Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Go for the X6M RC - the car is great, the electronics are state of the art! Dont miss out Head-Up, you will start loving it

RC:

Yes and no. The X5 is a very common car over here in Bavaria, nobody really cares about it anymore. I wouldn't call the X5 ugly. Smiley

Even the 911 is not really a problem, as long as it is black or silver and has no special wheels or a huge wing on it. Unfortunately this isn't a very good family car. Smiley

I could also drive the C63 AMG I was thinking of, I like how it looks, especially with the PPP. Nobody would really care about a Mercedes C-class over here.

Same with the BMW 3series or 5series. BMW M3 sedan, 335i ? Nobody really cares. Even the M5 doesn't really attract attention over here, there are just too many 5 series BMWs with M package driving around.

In your situation, IMO, X5 M is the best car.

If you get an X5 M, you will get an SUV, spaceious interior, BMW quality, M power, low profile car, stealth performance car with everyday driveablity and it is not too much expensive.

What else you want Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

In your situation, IMO, X5 M is the best car.

If you get an X5 M, you will get an SUV, spaceious interior, BMW quality, M power, low profile car, stealth performance car with everyday driveablity and it is not too much expensive.

What else you want Smiley

Can't it better summarize...Smiley 

--
    Kind regards, Conny 
    More pics:

Does anyone know if BMW will offer a rear bench seat option?  I heard it will be offered on the regular X6.  I know people said to just get the X5M, but the X6M look so much cooler.

Also, is it possible to put a child seat in the middle position of the X6M?  I know there isn't a seat there, but there should be anchors on both sides right?

Thanx for review Smiley IMO X6 M  is the best alternative for Cayenne..

baron:

Does anyone know if BMW will offer a rear bench seat option?  I heard it will be offered on the regular X6. 

RC wrote it is possible to order X6 with 3 rear seats (from X5)

RC, having owned the C63 for 18 months now, I can tell you that it is a small car!  Even the X3 is much more spacious than the C63.  I don't think it is a good option for you as your family car.  Or just do what I am doing, get both the C63 and X5M! 

baron:

Does anyone know if BMW will offer a rear bench seat option?  I heard it will be offered on the regular X6.  I know people said to just get the X5M, but the X6M look so much cooler.

You are right; I also think that X6 looks so much cooler than X5 but X6 attracts too much attention and it is not suitable for a user who prefers to have low profile car.

The car business differs from country to country. In Turkey, for example, X6 is the hottest SUV. There are too many cayennes especially pre-facelift, Q7s, X5s and Range Rover Sports that no one pays too much attention.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

Thanks, guys. My BMW dealer is willing to make a deal, so I'm just waiting for his final offer, especially regarding the Cayenne.

Right now, I have another option: getting rid of my 997 Turbo, getting rid of the Cayenne Turbo S and getting a 997 Carrera Cab Facelift PDK, LSD, whatever. Sounds good since the 997 Turbo is a garage queen and a 997 Carrera Cab would be my wife's car most of the time but getting a X5M too, could be a little bit tricky, financial-wise.

The C63 AMG is still in my mind, the driving experience was absolutely great, I loved this car. Absolutely out of this world exhaust sound (honestly, the best I ever encountered on a serial production car, right before my wife's M3 DKG Cab), great steering feel, great auto tranny. The interior is small indeed but not too small, my kids feel fine in the rear and the trunk has enough room for some luggage.

Our vacations are mostly executed by plane travel, so no problem here.

What I really love about the X6/X5M is the extremely spontaneous acceleration from standstill, very impressive for a 2.3 ton car.

Check out this video (vs. a C63 AMG btw):

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Wow RC that thing really has warp drive.....by the way did you consider the new E-63 as an alternative?

There is absolutely no substitute for awd traction off the line and the low end torque of the BMW engine, Only engine comparable was the old supercharged AMG 55 engine but they phased that out for the inferior 63. 63 maybe have the top end covered but low end it's lights years behind on the street.

Whoopsy:

There is absolutely no substitute for awd traction off the line and the low end torque of the BMW engine, Only engine comparable was the old supercharged AMG 55 engine but they phased that out for the inferior 63. 63 maybe have the top end covered but low end it's lights years behind on the street.

this is an remarkable argument particularly in germany as we have tons of days with rain, snow, and low temperatures. I remember HvS wrote in the last Sportauto: "Y'll never find a car with better traction in the wet" (..or so..)

--
    Kind regards, Conny 
    More pics:

Conny997:
    Whoopsy:

this is an remarkable argument particularly in germany as we have tons of days with rain, snow, and low temperatures. I remember HvS wrote in the last Sportauto: "Y'll never find a car with better traction in the wet" (..or so..)

I read also this article about facelift c63..and bye bye to NA engine

Im Frühjahr 2011 wird nach rund 4 Jahren Bauzeit das Facelift der C-Klasse (W204) präsentiert. Neben LED-Tagfahrlicht und neuen Scheinwerfern und Schürzen kommen auch neue Motoren zum Einsatz. Der C 63 AMG wird durch den C 55 AMG ersetzt (V8 BiTurbo auf Basis der neuen V8 Motorenfamilie M278). Er wird auch wieder deutlich über 400 PS haben. Der OM642 V6-CDI wird im C 350 CDI dann 252 PS und 700 NM leisten. Die neuen 4-Zylinder Turbo-Benzindirekteinspritzer sollen noch 2009 folgen. Es handelt sich um den C 250 CGI mit 204 PS (1,8 Liter), den C 200 CGI (1,8 Liter) und den C 180 CGI mit 156 PS und 1,6 Liter Hubraum. Das Interieur wird deutlich aufgewertet und am E-Klasse Coupé angelehnt. Der Comand-Display wird dann fest installiert sein. Des Weiteren erhält die C-Klasse dann neue Assistenzsysteme wie Attention Assist und Distronic Plus mit Totwinkelassistent.

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

RC, why dont you wait for the new M5 if time is not an Issue? I am not a friend of 500+hp SUVS. I think a strong Diesel (V8 would be perfect) with allot of torque suits best for a Family SUV. Also in every economic aspekt like fuel consumption, resale value etc etc. I just dont understand what happened to BMW when it comes to V8 Diesel? As far as I see, they dont offer such an engine for non of their cars. Not even for the 7 series? strange. Maybe Shakal has more info.

Of course its all matter of taste and budget, but if I had to choose between the sporty SUV or the sporty Limo, I would deffinetly go for the Limo.

Better invest in a 911 cabrio and take the S with many goodies, and save some money by getting the strongest diesel available. Or take the 911 cab, and next year switch the CTT to a brand new M5. 

On the other hand, and if time is an issue, I think the C63 is a great car in every aspect and for this money for sure, just check carfully if the size is enough for your family, if yes.... just pull the trigger. If you are not living in the mountains (what I assume), you will maybe miss the 4wd just a very few weeks/days in a year, but the very very big rest of the year you will have lots of fun with the rwd combined with that sick sound... post some picks when you pick it up.  

Avoe:

RC, why dont you wait for the new M5 if time is not an Issue? I am not a friend of 500+hp SUVS. I think a strong Diesel (V8 would be perfect) with allot of torque suits best for a Family SUV. Also in every economic aspekt like fuel consumption, resale value etc etc. I just dont understand what happened to BMW when it comes to V8 Diesel? As far as I see, they dont offer such an engine for non of their cars. Not even for the 7 series? strange. Maybe Shakal has more info.

Of course its all matter of taste and budget, but if I had to choose between the sporty SUV or the sporty Limo, I would deffinetly go for the Limo.

Better invest in a 911 cabrio and take the S with many goodies, and save some money by getting the strongest diesel available. Or take the 911 cab, and next year switch the CTT to a brand new M5. 

On the other hand, and if time is an issue, I think the C63 is a great car in every aspect and for this money for sure, just check carfully if the size is enough for your family, if yes.... just pull the trigger. If you are not living in the mountains (what I assume), you will maybe miss the 4wd just a very few weeks/days in a year, but the very very big rest of the year you will have lots of fun with the rwd combined with that sick sound... post some picks when you pick it up.  

Why a V6 twin turbo is better then a V8 diesel? 

Because of the weight. The V8 diesel ist to heavy. With twin turbo you get aprox. 300 hp and that is for normal SUVs enough.

If you drive a V8 Q7 and X6 35d you will a see large differences. The heavy 4.2l engine on the front axle makes the heavy Q7 even heavier. The car drives more like a fat pig.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Even a powerful Diesel wouldn't be a good Autobahn car. I don't want to go for less performance than my current Cayenne Turbo S. Look at the Audi Q7 with that V12 monster Diesel engine. 0-200 kph (125 mph) in 20.1 seconds. My pre-facelift Cayenne Turbo S needs almost 2 seconds less. The X5 M needs only 16.3 seconds .

This may sound marginal but it counts for ME. Another problem is the fact that most Diesel models are limited to 250 kph. The X5 M is available with the M Driver's Package, raising the top speed to 275 kph.

I AM a friend of high power SUVs, simply because I drive them for almost 9 years now and they provide a lot of fun. First it was the ML55 AMG, now the Cayenne Turbo S. Fascinating cars if you have a family but I would have NEVER bought one without having kids. Most people who never owned one can't appreciate it how fantastic these SUVs are but of course I would always prefer a smaller and lighter sportscar with the same power...if I wouldn't have a family.

As to the question why I don't get the upcoming M5: it is too big. My wife hates it. She also hates the Panamera and the Mercedes E class too. The only limousine she likes is the Mercedes C-class, because it is very "compact" like she said. Women... 

My BMW dealer made me a good deal and I may for for it in the end, I hope we can decide on it latest next week. Delivery would be early February but we're trying to get the car earlier because we NEED it earlier. This could be a challenge since the car is produced in the US. BMW Germany has some vehicles in stock and they can add/delete options over here but only to a certain extent. Time will tell, next week we know more. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Women...the X6M is just as long as a 5 series and looks even bigger in real life. I find this choice between really small limousine and huge SUV really puzzling, but I suppose there's nothing rational about buying a car. :-)

Tim

Tim:

Women...the X6M is just as long as a 5 series and looks even bigger in real life. I find this choice between really small limousine and huge SUV really puzzling, but I suppose there's nothing rational about buying a car. :-)

Tim

SUVs have a higher seating/driving position, women love that.

--

RC:
    Tim:

Tim

You are right. Women like to see and be seen so the the high seating position helps a lot!

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

RC:

Most people who never owned one can't appreciate it how fantastic these SUVs are but of course I would always prefer a smaller and lighter sportscar with the same power...if I wouldn't have a family. (...)

My BMW dealer made me a good deal and I may for for it in the end (...)

I can underline every single word with reference to the fascination of power SUVs.Smiley

I bought my first SUV in my live in 2005 as a BMW X5 4.8 iS. Previous  I always drove limos like Mercedes AMG and Sportcars like Porsche.
    Since then I will never miss the cool and relaxed driving in an powerful SUV.
    But don't get me wrong: only as a 4-doors vehicle never as substitute for a sportscar.

So far:
    gratulation in advance for your (most probable) decision.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 
    More pics:

RC, the BMW X6M sounds exciting, but personally (and this is my opinion, that's all) I am repulsed by the rear end treatment.   It sits up too high, and is way out of proportion with the rest of the car.  One man's mead is another man's poison...

Wonderbar:

RC, the BMW X6M sounds exciting, but personally (and this is my opinion, that's all) I am repulsed by the rear end treatment.   It sits up too high, and is way out of proportion with the rest of the car.  One man's mead is another man's poison...

Yep, I agree. Looking at it from the side, it looks kind of weird. My wife only liked it because it looks "sportier" but since she realized that it also looks bigger, she now wants a X5 M, not the X6 M anymore.

The X5 M has a huge advantage for us. Living in Bavaria, you can see the X5 at every street corner, so it wouldn't attract too much attention. Adding a 3.0d badge would help too. Smiley

My dealer gave me a fantastic deal on this car and offers also a very fast delivery but my wife is now not sure she really wants another SUV...wifes...Smiley...so maybe it is going to the the C63 AMG sitting on my local dealer's floor. This deal is exceptionally good and it would also allow my wife to keep the M3 Cab and for me to get another Porsche after my 997 Turbo lease runs out in 18 months. Now I'm really confused.

Too many options aren't always too good I'm afraid. 

P.S.: my wife just walked in into my office, telling me that she wants the X5 M. Oh boy... Smiley

--

You know RC. Actually i'm greatful to you for all your research about getting a new car. Cause i'm in the same trip as you. Wanting to change my CT.

But actually by reading your threads and opinions and by the more i go to see differents dealers, like Mercedes,BMW or Audi and lose energies for actually no results cause nothing fit my interess or value. I come to the point that i'm telling myself:

"keep the CT. It can still run 100'000 Km and by the time i'll reach my 200'000 Km maybe i'll be more open for a change"

--

CT, GT3, Cooper S

RC, just surprise your wife and get her the X5M.  Don't leave her to make the decision!  Haha.  I was actually in the same boat.  My wife wasn't too sure about the X5M, she wanted C63 wagon (because she likes my C63 sedan), thought about a S-class or 7-series, decided Q7 4.2 diesel is great because it is a diesel and it carries 7...it went on and on.  In the end I just went and ordered the X5M.  Problem solved. 

Cram:

You know RC. Actually i'm greatful to you for all your research about getting a new car. Cause i'm in the same trip as you. Wanting to change my CT.

But actually by reading your threads and opinions and by the more i go to see differents dealers, like Mercedes,BMW or Audi and lose energies for actually no results cause nothing fit my interess or value. I come to the point that i'm telling myself:

"keep the CT. It can still run 100'000 Km and by the time i'll reach my 200'000 Km maybe i'll be more open for a change"

Besides the fact that I usually don't like to drive cars older than four years (it is a personal thing, I just don't trust technology/mechanical parts too much, especially on a 2.4 ton car running 275 kph), the Cayenne Turbo S attracts a lot of unnecessary attention, which already put my wife and the kids under a lot of emotional pressure. Next time, maybe one of these nuts really goes one step further and does something to my family and not only to the car. Then, there is resale value and maintenance cost. While I can still get 40-50 k for the Cayenne right now, in a year or two, things can look completely different. The next Cayenne generation is due and environmental laws change too. Not even starting to think what happens with a higher fuel price.

I don't necessarily need something new, I just want it for various reasons. Of course it would be cheaper for me to drive the Cayenne until it falls apart, no doubt about it. 

I haven't made a final decision yet but I need to make one soon. If the Cayenne goes, I have to be satisfied and happy with the "alternative". If not, the Cayenne stays. Of course this is a matter of money too. All dealers made good deals but there is no PERFECT deal on the horizon right now (well, PERFECT would be getting 50 k for the Cayenne AND getting 20% on the X5 M for example Smiley). One dealer gives me more for the Cayenne but gives less rebate on the new car. The other one does it exactly the other way around. Of course the dealers need to live too and they don't want to loose money but I also have to be satisfied and happy with the deal.

We'll see...maybe I'm going to drive the Cayenne for another year or so. Smiley

--

reginos:
    RC:
    Tim:

Tim

You are right. Women like to see and be seen so the the high seating position helps a lot!

Take a look at this article, note this pull-quote:

Over the past decade, a number of major automakers in America have relied on the services of a French-born cultural anthropologist, G. Clotaire Rapaille, whose speciality is getting beyond the rational—what he calls "cortex"—impressions of consumers and tapping into their deeper, "reptilian" responses. And what Rapaille concluded from countless, intensive sessions with car buyers was that when S.U.V. buyers thought about safety they were thinking about something that reached into their deepest unconscious. "The No. 1 feeling is that everything surrounding you should be round and soft, and should give," Rapaille told me. "There should be air bags everywhere. Then there's this notion that you need to be up high. That's a contradiction, because the people who buy these S.U.V.s know at the cortex level that if you are high there is more chance of a rollover. But at the reptilian level they think that if I am bigger and taller I'm safer. You feel secure because you are higher and dominate and look down. That you can look down is psychologically a very powerful notion. And what was the key element of safety when you were a child? It was that your mother fed you, and there was warm liquid. That's why cupholders are absolutely crucial for safety. If there is a car that has no cupholder, it is not safe. If I can put my coffee there, if I can have my food, if everything is round, if it's soft, and if I'm high, then I feel safe. It's amazing that intelligent, educated women will look at a car and the first thing they will look at is how many cupholders it has.

http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_01_12_a_suv.html

Higher and bigger and heavier is safer in some ways though, such as head on collision.

i feel a lot safer in a 911 than in a ford explorer or a nissan armada.

german automakers put much for effort into making their cars crash-safe and efficient than american cars.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688075 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408501 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255461 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234685 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65314 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857416 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773075 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM