Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

X6 M - short driving report (Rennteam)

Driving a Cayenne Turbo S (pre-facelift) and a BMW M3 Cab DKG on a daily basis, I was expecting something different from the BMW X6 M but I'm not sure I'm completely sold on this car.

The X6 M is HUGE, it looks smaller from a wider distance but as soon as you stand next to it, it looks even bigger than the Cayenne in my opinion. This is actually a positive thing because it really looks "massive", "built for eternity", something someone would expect from a SUV.

Entering the X6 M, everything look BMW-like, absolutely nothing special but the quality look & feels seems good, something you would expect on such an expensive car. The interior doesn't look as special as the Panamera interior for example but since this is a SUV, I don't really care too much.

The steering wheel is smaller than the one of the Cayenne Turbo S, it also feels better in my hand because it it thicker, very similar to the steering wheel in the M3 Cab DKG.

After starting the engine, I expected something more M3-like but the sound is even worse than on the Cayenne Turbo S. There is a light growl when you accelerate from standstill but nothing V8-like and it disappears and gets a much higher pitch once you pass 3000 rpm. To make it short: very disappointing exhaust/engine sound, the X6 M sounds like a X6 Diesel or even worse, like a 4-cylinder hatchback. There is definetely nothing "M" about the exhaust/engine sound on the X6 M.

Another thing I didn't like is the auto tranny "shifting" knob, it is kind of confusing and not practical at all. BMW should have sticked with an ordinary system but apparently they wanted to make it look special, I can't imagine another reason. Bottom line is: I don't like it too much but I got used to it after a short while.

The head-up (should be called "head-down", since the information appears on the lower part of the windshield) display isn't my thing either. I used it for five minutes and turned it off. It distracts from driving, I can't imagine how this system can improve driving safety, sorry. I'm a multi-tasker and I can do many things at one time but this head-up display is too distracting. If BMW succeeds in building an augmented reality system, this may be a breakthrough. Right now, the head-up display is just a technical gizmo which in my opinion can distract from the surroundings.

I fell immediately in love with the navigation/entertainment system, it really works well and much more intuitive than the "old" system in the M3 Cab DKG. I won't even start to compare it with the old Cayenne PCM, the X6 M system plays in a different league. The new PCM with touch screen is a different story but surprisingly, I find the X6 M system much more enjoyable than the touch operated PCM on the Panamera. I love my iPhone, so I'm used to touch operation but somehow the BMW system works very well without touch operation too.

Driving the X6 M is a very comfortable experience, the ride is smooth and if you don't activate the M-drive functions, the suspension is soft, quiet and the acceleration is smoot, incl. shifting. Unfortunately BMW made a slight mistake when they programmed the ESP on the X6 M. If you don't activate the M-Dynamic Mode, the ESP kicks in pretty fast. Example: the street is completely wet. I fully accelerate but the ESP (DSC?) lamp flashes and it takes around 10 seconds til 60 kph. Ouch. Then I turned on M-Dynamic Mode incl. a sporty throttle setup. What a difference. Even on the wet street, the X6 M accelerated from standstill like a rocket without ANY lag (hello Porsche development, you should learn from BMW M department how to program a throttle response on the Cayenne Turbo), very similar to the Panamera Turbo I testdrove. On dry pavement, as soon as you full press the throttle, the X6 M jumps forward like a jet without any lag and fully accelerates. We made a comparison with the Cayenne Turbo S, the X6 M was two car lengths ahead when we hit around 60 kph ! This doesn't mean that the BMW X6 M is so much faster than the Cayenne Turbo S, it just means the acceleration from standstill is much more spontaenous, very instant and without a lag like on the Cayenne Turbo S.

The X6 M engine revs high pretty fast, nothing spectacular here, it feels very linear and much less Turbo-like than on the Cayenne Turbo S. I actually like this setup because it is sportier and reminds me more of the BMW M3 Cab DKG. Unfortunately there is a tiny lag from time to time, especially in the lower rev range when the boost needs to kick in first but it feels sportier and better than on the Cayenne Turbo S.

The steering feel of the X6 M is completely different compared to the Cayenne Turbo S, it is very M3 Cab DKG like and this was a very pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, like on the Panamera, the steering "firmness" and turning angle seems to change depending on speed. So while it feels great most of the time, it gets lighter on faster straights and falls back to firmness when you steer-in, it feels pretty artificial but I got used to it. For a SUV, the steering is very sporty and direct, not perfect in sharp curves or fast straights but definetely better and sportier than on the Cayenne Turbo S, no doubt about it.

The Cayenne Turbo S facelift has an improved steering feel and it is slightly more direct but I'd say that the X6 M put the mark a little bit higher, I would call the X6 M the sportiest SUV on the market right now.

Turning on the sport mode of the EDC/suspension setup of the X6 M, makes the suspension stiffer but it still provides a lot of comfort. Especially in sharp curves, this mode makes almost a M3 out of the X6 M. Of course I felt the weight of the X6 M, it is present all the time, especially through curves but surprisingly, the X6 M feels much lighter than the Cayenne Turbo S, despite a similar weight.

Fuel consumption is out of this world, during my testdrive (and I didn't drive over 180 kph because of the snowy road conditions over here in Bavaria), the X6 M ate 21.7 liters / 100 km. Not much different to my Cayenne Turbo S under similar conditions/speeds I'm afraid but I also have to emphasize that I was driving in M-Dynamic Mode most of the time.

The M-Dynamic Mode is actually the standard PSM (ESP) setup on the Cayenne Turbo S I'd say. It is a pitty that BMW couldn't find a way to implement a THIRD ESP setting, only two are available. Turning DSC off completely isn't a good idea at all. I did it on a large parking lot and ended up with almost seeing my own tail. Speaking of drifting: with M-Dynamic Mode turned on, the rear wheels spin a little bit and there is also the chance to do a "micro-drift" for a short moment. After that, the DSC kicks in brutally.

I find it much more enjoyable to drive even in snow and in rain with M-Dynamic Mode activated but for the wife with kids in the car, I'd recommend turning it off. Which brings me to a tiny problem: the "M" activation button is on the steering wheel and it can be accidentally switched on (it happened to my wife when she testdrove the X6 M). I would rather put the button somewhere else.

The brake system is also very impressive, it is much better and delivers more confidence than the M3 Cab DKG brake system which starts to show serious fading after some short "hot" driving. I also like the firm brake feel a lot, the brake feel of the Cayenne Turbo S is slightly softer, even if the Turbo S brake is out of this world too, absolutely first-class.

I was also positively surprised with the interior room of the X6 M, the rear compartment looks even bigger than on the Cayenne. The luggage room isn't too big, it shares a similar problem with the Panamera, it is too "flat", there isn't much "height" left. Example: I can fit my daugthers bicycle inside the Cayenne Turbo S trunk, I tried the same in the X6 M...absolutely impossible.

Another last thing I didn't like about the X6 M: the exhaust pipes. They look typical "M"-style but this is no M3 or M6, this is a HUGE X6. BMW should have made the exhaust pipes slightly "thicker", they look a bit as if they don't belong to this car.

Personal conclusion: the X6 M is definetely the sportiest SUV on this planet, it is fun to drive and it provides the same "safety" feel the Cayenne provides. I'm not fully sold on the X6 M because of two things: the exhaust/engine sound is absolutely horrible, I mean H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E. I never would have imagined that BMW M company could do such a bad job but apparently they don't have much experience with turbo charged engines. Another thing is that the X6 M still feels heavy, only under certain driving situations but it can't deny its weight.

Btw: when I fueled up the X6 M at the fuel pump, the owner (I know him for some while) of the gas station asked me if I got a new car. When he told me that he hasn't seen many X6 around, one of his customers, around 55 years old and driving a 3series BMW, said in a very sarcastic tone: "because whoever drives such a "thing" needs a truck driver license". I understood immediately what he was referring to and when I told him that this truck easily outruns his 3series BMW in tight turns, he looked at me and said "this is ridiculous" and shortly after "crap".

I wanted a lower profile SUV but now I'm not too sure the X6 M is the lower profile I wanted. Apparently people are still reacting in a very strange way but I also have to confess that the X6 M looks HUGE. The sporty rear actually accentuates its length, I didn't realize it before.

Whoever ordered the X6 M will be a very happy owner but don't expect a sporty exhaust/engine sound, there is NONE, not even a bit. If you can live with it and with the fact that the X6 seems to attract a lot of attention too, this car should be perfect for you.

x6m7.jpg

x6m6.jpg

x6m3.jpg

x6m5.jpg

x6m4.jpg

x6m1.jpg

x6m2.jpg

x6m8.jpg
    --

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: X6 M - short driving report (Rennteam)

Great report RC,have you got other pics of outside?

thanks

Ciao
    Dario

p.s.Wait the new Cayenne...before to take decisions

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

RC, I did warn you about the exhaust note on the other thread!  It sounds just like a Golf GTI, as does the gear change "burb/fart" at higher rev.  If you want a low profile SUV, why not X5M?  I guess because it is snowing/raining, you didn't get to test the handling?  The first thing I noticed was the lack of roll compared to other SUVs, Cayennes included.

I suppose you could try the new Range Rover, but other than the exhaust I don't hear much wrong with it. And my guess is that as a family car the radio and entertainment devices plus the kids will provide all the noise.

I have sat in Cayennes and driven an X6. Neither one is an exceptional interior, but neither is bad. The BMW has more openess to it. 

Who cares what some ass thinks at the gas station or anyone else outside of your family. You have to stop giving a crap what all these people think.

This is the winner right here http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2006/2006-Arden-Range-Rover-Sport-SA-Black-1280x960.jpg

just live close to the dealer.

Size-wise, the X6M actually occupied a bigger piece of real estate than the X5M, same width but a little longer, it's is quite a bit lower though.

Exhaust note, I think after-market will solve the sissy sound.

Shape of the X6 does stand out among the crowd, so if you don't really want to get noticed, it's really not for you.

Didn't I praise BMW's navi system before? :) They do make the best system out there and no one else even come close.

Wow, what an excellent driving report SmileySmileySmiley

racerx:

Who cares what some ass thinks at the gas station or anyone else outside of your family. You have to stop giving a crap what all these people think.

Without kids...I would fully agree. With kids, life looks a little bit different and you can't ignore what people around you are commenting/saying. I know this is tough to swallow but I learned it the hard way. My kids go to a normal state school, not a private school and 90% of the kids there have parents who drive a Volkswagen Passat or a crappy old Minivan. The kids' teachers drive Smart and little Suzuki cars with 70 horses and in this neighborhood, everybody knows everybody. I don't want to bore you with details but trust me, my kids came home with some stuff they got served by the other kids and you can't ignore it.

Last time I picked up my son at school in my 997 Turbo, half of the school was around this car and my daugther's class teacher commented this to my wife when they met. Not in a positive way.

This is it, I can't change it. I still play the lottery and when I win...hello Florida.

Just kidding but you get my point.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Yes I understand.

But for those instances I would drive the mini cooper. And at your place of busimess park in a back alley or drive the mini.

Keep the nice ride for the house and private family trips.

I have never used my 928 on a normal errand and won't. It is for fun.  

racerx:

Yes I understand.

But for those instances I would drive the mini cooper. And at your place of busimess park in a back alley or drive the mini.

Keep the nice ride for the house and private family trips.

I have never used my 928 on a normal errand and won't. It is for fun.  

I can't afford fun anymore, sad but true.  

My "garage queen" costs me 1700 EUR a month and I don't even have the time to drive it (if I'm lucky once a MONTH right now). The Cayenne Turbo S is mostly used in the city by my wife with the kids and she always complaints about parking problems (Germany has pretty small parking spaces, no kidding, you can hardly enter a parking garage with a SUV, sometimes they're height limited to 1.8 m, especially in smaller cities) and crazy people who yell at her because of the Cayenne or just puncture a tire.

For Dario: I just added an exterior photo to the driving report. I didn't make many exterior shots because there are already many available on the internet. Unfortunately I also forgot my camera at home, so I had to take the photos with my camera phone. Sorry. On the last photo, you can actually see pretty well how HUGE the X6 M is if you look closely. I actually like it that it doesn't look like a X3 but I'm not sure about other people. My wife had a shock too and now she's not so sure she wants to get the X6 M, even if she really enjoyed driving it.

--

Great report Cristian!! very interesting points

--

Whoopsy:

Exhaust note, I think after-market will solve the sissy sound.

I'm afraid things aren't that easy. Without providing any conclusive details, the very same friend who showed me the BMW 5series mule months ago (I posted a photo here in the forum), told me that apparently there was a problem with the turbo chargers and the placement of the exhaust system. They weren't able to get more streetlegal sound out of it. It was either GRRRROAAARR or vacuum cleaner sound. Any aftermarket system would seriously influence the backpressure and flow, creating problems for the turbo chargers and electronics. I don't know if I reproduced precisely what he told me, especially since he did it in German language but the bottom line is: an aftermarket exhaust could have a serious impact, resulting in engine problems and/or power-loss.

Time will tell but considering the stuff I learned about aftermarket exhausts on the 911 Turbo and Cayenne Turbo, I'm pretty sure that there is some truth in it.

--

RC really a great write up!

As I was able to test the X5M for 2 days at the beginning of dec., here are my only short impressions:
    The exhaust sound is really completely not like a V8 and unfortunately very disappointing. 100% agree.
    The consumption is really at about 20-21 liters/100 km.
    But the positive impressions of the X5M  outweigh the negative.
    The possibilities of the chassis setup are completely sufficient for me.
    The M-mode button is not specific but can be adjusted in all areas.
    You can choose even without the M-button  at any time the EDC button to change the suspension settings.
    Compared to my current Cayenne GTS, the whole layout looks very convincing, modern and with 550 hp very well motorized. Chassis and brakes are impressive. The head up is really more of a gimmick but for me not annoying. 
    I had made with the Cayenne in the past some bad experiences, so I'm looking for a less flashy car.
    For me this is certainly the X5M and even far more than the X6M. The X6 looks very large in general, while the X5 is perfect established as a economic diesel on germans streets.This is perfect understatement !!

I would recommend definitely the X5M over the x6M because  

enough place for Kids

unobtrusive

spacious

same performance figures as the X6  

Attached you’ll finda few pictures. The interior is called  „orange Shakir“ or so…

The X5M was equipped with winter tires. For me entirely well looking for the purpose

P1030489.JPGP1030490.JPGP1030495.JPGP1030497.JPGP1030503.JPGP1030512.jpgP1030513.JPGP1030518.JPGP1030519.JPGP1030521.JPG

--

Kind regards, Conny 
    More pics:
    http://www.dayboox.com/group/Connys%20Galerie

The fact you compare the 06 Cayenne with the 10 X5-6 says a lot about how well the cayenne has held up. 06 TTS can be bought for a fraction the price of the X6M... We have been surprised at how much better the 09 cayenne was compared to the 04... Sportier yet more comfortable...

RC:

I'm afraid things aren't that easy. Without providing any conclusive details, the very same friend who showed me the BMW 5series mule months ago (I posted a photo here in the forum), told me that apparently there was a problem with the turbo chargers and the placement of the exhaust system. They weren't able to get more streetlegal sound out of it. It was either GRRRROAAARR or vacuum cleaner sound. Any aftermarket system would seriously influence the backpressure and flow, creating problems for the turbo chargers and electronics. I don't know if I reproduced precisely what he told me, especially since he did it in German language but the bottom line is: an aftermarket exhaust could have a serious impact, resulting in engine problems and/or power-loss.

Time will tell but considering the stuff I learned about aftermarket exhausts on the 911 Turbo and Cayenne Turbo, I'm pretty sure that there is some truth in it.

I have to imagine it's has something to do with the new reverse flow cylinder head with the turbos between the V hence the extended length of the exhaust pipe. Not surprise as turbo engines are quite sensitive to back pressure changes. However, while BMW needs to comply with government mandated sound levels, aftermarket maybe could maybe sidestep the issue.

But with such a new engine, aftermarket will need some time to investigate how to tune it properly. As you said time will tell.

I haven't paid much attention yet, but is the exhaust built like Aston Martin where one of the outlets each side is the primary and the other one has a flap that opens later? If so, maybe just pulling a fuse to disable the flap is enough to improve the sound. I have hear a couple of the new X Ms drove by and from the outside it sounded quite ok.

On a side note, I think I found the interior color I want, that white X5M conny997 posted has the red (BMW's orange) interior and it looks quite good. :)

RC:

Fuel consumption is out of this world, during my testdrive (and I didn't drive over 180 kph because of the snowy road conditions over here in Bavaria), the X6 M ate 21.7 liters / 100 km. Not much different to my Cayenne Turbo S under similar conditions/speeds I'm afraid but I also have to emphasize that I was driving in M-Dynamic Mode most of the time.

This will decrease by 2-3 litres after you put 10K km on the odometer.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

RC:
    racerx:

Without kids...I would fully agree. With kids, life looks a little bit different and you can't ignore what people around you are commenting/saying. I know this is tough to swallow but I learned it the hard way. My kids go to a normal state school, not a private school and 90% of the kids there have parents who drive a Volkswagen Passat or a crappy old Minivan. The kids' teachers drive Smart and little Suzuki cars with 70 horses and in this neighborhood, everybody knows everybody. I don't want to bore you with details but trust me, my kids came home with some stuff they got served by the other kids and you can't ignore it.

Last time I picked up my son at school in my 997 Turbo, half of the school was around this car and my daugther's class teacher commented this to my wife when they met. Not in a positive way.

This is it, I can't change it. I still play the lottery and when I win...hello Florida.

Just kidding but you get my point.

wow you are a good father.although if any of those teachers are fat in any way,tell them to get thin 1st then talk about pollution.cuz human extract cant exactly be used as fertilizers.i mean why should you sacrifice you enjoyment when thay cant control their own appertite.

Actually if they really want to be Eco friendly stop picking on us car folk and deal with not eating cow...as cow farts account for far more greenhouse gases on a global basis than do cars.....  By the way How comfortable were the seats?

Yeah I would loved to hear about what they said to your wife, maybe you could take it up to the school board in charge of the school about inappropriate behaviour or degrading comments.

thanks for the input RC....

my first comment about my current X650i was how un-turbo like the engine really feels, more kompressor like than turbocharged.

you step on the pedal and the engine just revs and pushes unlike the porsche turbo-engines that seem to 'think' first.

whn i wanted to overtake in my cayenne i used to push the throttle a second or two earlier for the car to have reacted by the time i wanted to initiate overtaking. not so in the X6.

my X6M is in the container now and i am actually very excited about it.

as for exhaust note, we are not fairing much better with our 997 turbo gen 1.....

the 50i sound pretty good. sl55 kind of way.

when i was in berlin last week, i saw/heard an sl65 drive by in a very mannered mode. the exhaust was too noisy in my view. does not really leave a 'good' image either.

i actually prefer 'wolves in sheep's clothing' hence i would never opt for a ferrari. too loud, noisy and attention grabbing.

i am completely sold on the X6. it's different and interesting....for now.

people react to it and look at it because it looks different. so far i have had no negative reactions. then again i do not live in germany.

anyhow, all i care about at this very moment is my severe hangover

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Thanks Christian for the picture of outside.

really,i'm not able to tell if i like the X6 or not..

I have a friend with a white X6 and i love it,then another one bought a X6 black and i hate it..but i think is fault of the wrong rims he choose.Looking your last pictures i can't tell i like it also if rims are dark,and are the good one..instead i like the white X5 of Conny's pics.

I tell you again to wait the new Cayenne before to take decisions..i think you will like it for sure

And about people,remember one thing,every thing you do is and will be wrong!if you buy a little car they will tell you have loose all your money playing at casinò,if you  buy a big car you sell drugs,where i live is the same,every thing i do is wrong,but i don't care,i take my car and i go away.I bought my wife a silver Golf GTI ,and yes we have one kid,so is easiest to menage the thing..

Ciao

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

@Conny997: thanks for sharing the beautiful photos, I actually like the X5 M more than the X6 M because it provides more "understatement" like you already mentioned. There are tons of X5 Diesel driving around in Bavaria, nobody really pays attention to this car anymore. My wife however thinks different, she likes the X6 M MUCH more than the X5 M, so I think there is not much of a chance to get the X5 M. Maybe I can convince her that the X6 is too big (she's still concerned about it), even if the X5 is actually almost the same size (length).

@intouch1: I agree the stuff with the wolf in the sheep's cloth, I like this too a lot. The exhaust/engine sound however is something I really love to enjoy on ANY car and if it lacks it, I'm kind of disappointed and get bored soon. I don't know, maybe this is where my midlife crisis or my cojones genes kick in but a fast car needs to have a nice exhaust/engine sound, no matter if it is an exotic sportscar or a SUV. My wife's M3 Cab DKG has the perfect amount of sound, the M-company really got it right. The C63 AMG I testdrove also sounded VERY nice, even nicer than the M3 but not annoying at all, at least not for me.  I love that loud V8 growl very well known from older US movies from the 70s and 80s, the C63 re-produces that sound almost perfectly. I suppose there is still a little child inside of me...my wife certainly has no doubt whatsoever about it.

@Whoops: my daugther is in the last class now, where the transition to a higher school is imminent. We have three schools in Germany after the four "base" school classes which are attended by ALL children after Kindergarten: Gymnasium (this is the school you need, if you want to go to university later on), Realschule (this is the school, if you want to become a low level engineer, work in a bank or in a company, qualified worker in a factory, etc. etc.) and Hauptschule (this is actually where you want to go if you want to become a plumber, handyman, non-qualified worker in a factory, etc.). After the 4th class, the school decides based on the marks to which school each child has to go, it is some sort of selection system. My daughter wants to go to th Gymnasium (higher education), so p.ss.ng off her class teacher wouldn't be a very good idea right now. Teachers have a lot of power in Germany, the school board usually tends to give teachers right, its not a good idea to start fighting them, especially since my son is also in the same school in first class. No chance.

@charliecleanup: it isn't about the environment, people are just plain envious and the environment is just a cover-up for their personal feelings, thoughts and expectations. Some of those people are losers, some of these people are fanatics, some are just plain dumb. Nothing you can do about it.

--

RC:

@Conny997: thanks for sharing the beautiful photos, I actually like the X5 M more than the X6 M because it provides more "understatement" like you already mentioned. There are tons of X5 Diesel driving around in Bavaria, nobody really pays attention to this car anymore. My wife however thinks different, she likes the X6 M MUCH more than the X5 M, so I think there is not much of a chance to get the X5 M. Maybe I can convince her that the X6 is too big (she's still concerned about it), even if the X5 is actually almost the same size (length).

Christian,

With all my respect, you cannot expect a car to be good looking and not attracting attention.

It is like wanting a car with 500 hp with a fuel consumption of 9 L/ 100km.. 

I like X6 very much. It has an unusual shape. Looks like tall sports car. I think BMW get the right with the design. In where I live, X6 attracts so much attention with envy. Unfortunately it is human nature.. Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

pride355:

Actually those Corvette Z06s gets 28mpg which is under 9l/100lm on the highway :) Real world figures too, not those government testing ones. :)

And even the 997Turbo can do around 10l/100km for highway speeds.

But we do get your point :)

Interesting since I had one of those and saw 24-26 mpg...and with the porsche 996 22 mpg...but with all the moaning about driving fast it is interesting that steady state driving at around 80 mph you get better mileage...  so maybe we all need to be driving faster 

How do you find the seats in the X6M for long distance driving?

never had a problem with my porsche but with the corvette I got stopped a lot especially in NY driving late at night. There was always surprise when I rolled down the window as the police told me they would see vettes like mine driven by puerto rican drug dealers usually...so I got rid of the car after the third time that it happened....

pride355:
    Christian,

With all my respect, you cannot expect a car to be good looking and not attracting attention.

I like X6 very much. It has an unusual shape. Looks like tall sports car. I think BMW get the right with the design. In where I live, X6 attracts so much attention with envy. Unfortunately it is human nature.. Smiley

Yes and no. The X5 is a very common car over here in Bavaria, nobody really cares about it anymore. I wouldn't call the X5 ugly. Smiley

Even the 911 is not really a problem, as long as it is black or silver and has no special wheels or a huge wing on it. Unfortunately this isn't a very good family car. Smiley

I could also drive the C63 AMG I was thinking of, I like how it looks, especially with the PPP. Nobody would really care about a Mercedes C-class over here.

Same with the BMW 3series or 5series. BMW M3 sedan, 335i ? Nobody really cares. Even the M5 doesn't really attract attention over here, there are just too many 5 series BMWs with M package driving around.

--

SciFrog:
    The fact you compare the 06 Cayenne with the 10 X5-6 says a lot about how well the cayenne has held up. 06 TTS can be bought for a fraction the price of the X6M... We have been surprised at how much better the 09 cayenne was compared to the 04... Sportier yet more comfortable...

Well, I drove the latest Cayenne model year too and there isn't as much difference as I expected. Don't forget that the late Turbo S pre-facelift already had the "goodies" from the next model year with the exception of the PDCC and direct fuel injection engine, incl. a better throttle response.

--

Excellent write up Christian

One more time it shows, that you can think about buying and already love a car, but you have to drive it before making the decision to buy! Many times before I had the same experience and especially if you put to much expectations to a car, it is really hard to find it in the real driving experience. Same happens to me just two weeks ago while having the Panamera!

Somme comments to your report and answers:

Head-Up: You can adjust the height over the screen menu. I wouldnt like to miss it anymore and appreciate it strongly. Especially with the new features, like having the speed limits shown next to the current speed or the navigation commands.

School-System and Teachers: 100% agree! We are just ahead of getting our first child, but this is already my nightmare - 7 years ahead! Teachers are not objective. If you put your kids with the 997 Turbo to the school and pick them in the Cayenne Turbo you will have a hard standing. I remember one situation - when I was in school (Gymnasium) we had to sketch a house plan (this was part of the technical education). As my family was in the property business, I took a plan of my Dads Company, which fulfilled all requirements (house for a family parents + 2 kids, mid size) and also had won a national price before. Our Architect helped me, so I had more or less the perfect plan for the given question. The teacher judged the plan and marked it with a 4 (german school system - 1 is best, 6 worst, 4 is minimum to pass). So, my Dad went to the teacher and asked what went wront. He also explained that he thought it is kind a great plan. The teacher has answered with stupid comments, like, kid rooms to small, two toilets will noone need in one house or the kitchen is far to huge. Again, we explained that this was not given in the questions, but the more we talked the more comments we got like: just if you have a S-Class, it doesnt mean, that everyone needs a garage with 6 meters length. Obviously there was more as the task and my solution she considered for marking me. At the end, there was no space for argumentation. The teacher - a young girl, probably just started in her job and far away from having an own house or family, probably raised in a small flat - just judged on her feelings. End of the story: the mark was given and my father never ever questioned a bad mark anymore in his life! :-)

Back to the cars - so what is left for your RC; back to the Cayenne or still fancy a X6 M?

Aspects of this school system sound horrible. Politics playing such an important role for lifelong results. 

@Lars997: my BMW dealer WANTS this deal, he can even get me a new X5 or X6 M for end of January/beginning of February delivery (interesting, judging by the fac that X5/X6 M are made in the USA). The black one I testdrove is already sold. 

Tomorrow I'm going to know more.

My Mercedes dealer also called, he upped his offer for the Cayenne, so if the BMW deal falls through, I may go for a new (not the one he has in stock) C63 AMG Performance Package Plus. My wife likes the look of this car, so no problem here. Unfortunately there is only a March 2010 production spot available but the new car is worth waiting for because the Performance Package Plus has the 30 HP upgrade, including the SLS pistons, new conrods and a new crankshaft. Basically a re-enforced engine, which is a good thing. This car also comes with the new LED taillights and LED blinkers.

So now it is either X5/X6 M or Mercedes C63 AMG PPP.

My Porsche dealer is also working on a deal but he hasn't made me much hope yet, so I'm waiting for his offer too until I (together with my wife) make a final decision.

I'm not willing to pay any additional money for these deals, so if it doesn't work out for me/us, we keep the Cayenne one year longer. Unfortunately next year will be the year of the successor, so getting rid of the Cayenne NOW might be a good idea in the end.

@racerex: teachers are human too. I know they should be impartial, whatever but reality is completely different, it is all about sympathy. My kids are very sweet, charming and quiet, teachers usually love them. They also have good marks, another reason to like them. Unfortunately there is me...and my wife...two minus points. Smiley Just kidding...everything is going to be fine but I need to use my diplomatic skills to keep everything running smoothly. Not really my thing but I can do it and this is what counts.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689176 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409013 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255665 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234912 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65485 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857833 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773814 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM