Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: X5M/X6M - what the heck...

beautiful! Much nicer than Cayenne Turbo

Saw that red at the dealership on a X5M, looks good in pictures but that color is awful in real life. Was going to pick black but saw a X6M with Carbon Black and I like that color more. Metallic black with a hint of navy blue.  

Interior could be black, red(BMW called it orange), beige, or cinnamon(somewhere between the beige and 'orange')

Also wondering if I want the rear seat entertainment system, good for the kids in the back but when it's not in use it gets in the way.

RC:

There is no substitute...unfortunately it makes me VERY sad to realize this, especially since I may not get another chance after my current 997 Turbo to drive and especially own such a high performance sportscar ever again. Sad for somebody like me but I need to face reality (family, kids, job, time, money).

Consider the Corvette Z06. Try one out ( maybe you have ) . If you can put aside the 'image' of the car, and the cheaper inside, you will be granted with fabulous performance and fantastic driving pleasure and performance. Only minor suspension set up , and brakes, need to be done. So for the price of a basic M3 you'll have a real sports car.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I have a Corvette dealer (actually the one who provided the Cadillac CTS-V for the latest Sport Auto review) right next to my doorstep but I just can't do it. I even considered to get this Cadillac CTS, it is a real bargain for the money the dealer is asking, ~ 52000 EUR. It isn't about the money only but about image like you said. My neighborhood is already the way it is, if I show up in a Corvette, I don't want to know what happens to my kids in school. You need to realize that people are bad and kids are cruel. It is already bad enough like it is, a Corvette would make it even worse, trust me.

With a family comes responsibility, I just can't ignore some facts.

cts.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I've been off Rennteam for a couple of weeks and just saw this thread.  I can't believe there is a 5 seater X6M!  I probably would have gotten it instead of the X5M.  My friend and I both wanted a 7 seat X5M actually, but Individual won't do it.  We were willing to pay anything for it, as we both really would prefer 7 seats due to kids/grandparents just like RC.  My X5M has arrived in the country btw, but I won't get to pick it up for another month as I am going away for a holiday.

RC, I have a C63 and have driven the X6M.  I can tell you that the X6M is a much more comfortable car, but the C63 definitely is nicer in everyway in terms of how it drives.  Tough choice if I had to choice one of them!  

RC:

I have a Corvette dealer (actually the one who provided the Cadillac CTS-V for the latest Sport Auto review) right next to my doorstep but I just can't do it. I even considered to get this Cadillac CTS, it is a real bargain for the money the dealer is asking, ~ 52000 EUR. It isn't about the money only but about image like you said. My neighborhood is already the way it is, if I show up in a Corvette, I don't want to know what happens to my kids in school. You need to realize that people are bad and kids are cruel. It is already bad enough like it is, a Corvette would make it even worse, trust me.

With a family comes responsibility, I just can't ignore some facts.

cts.jpg

I totally understand the '' image'' problem.  But I thought that it would only be because they are still linked to ' pimp cars' , but did not know it would go as far as creating problems to your kid at school.
    It is a real shame Corvettes and Cadillac have such a bad image over here , as the products are a real bargain and do work very well. No Porsche Turbo is able to follows a Z06 on the ring . That car is so easy to drive and feels like a go kart.

At my kids school ( in a  village near a city) , every morning there is the owner of a big sports garage from the region, that drops his 7 and 5 year old daughters in a white GT-R tuned like a Playstation game ( covered in decals with bits and pieces all over, huge rims etc...)  I have not heard anything bad about it yet, I drop the kids in my Carrera S, no problems either. It is shame this is happening in your region.

The was a problems with SUV at some point, and Cayennes do have the same image as in Germany, but there is no more aggressiveness.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Maybe my wife is the "problem": she is a very friendly person, she likes social contacts a lot. I'm friendly too but I'm kind of more cautious, I can't connect to people immediately, especially if I don't have anything in common with them.

I don't have much friends around me anymore, my former school friends moved to other cities, others still don't have a family and I can't justify going out at night with them to bars, etc.. My wife would kill me...and I also don't really have the need to do that anymore (the bars, discos, etc.)

That said, my wife invites a lot of people over, especially for the kids (parents with kids) and of course if you are in direct contact with these people, they start learning a lot about you and your financial background (business, house, cars, etc.). Now if you expect more understanding or tolerance, exactly the contrary happens. The parents usually shut up and don't say much but of course they discuss this at home with their kids. The kids on their part, tell MY kids, so I usually find out what the parents are thinking or saying (yep...careful...never tell your kid bad things about neighbors, etc....it is going to slap you in your own face ).

I'm just waiting for the day when my daughter comes come, telling me that I'm a "stinking capitalist".  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I find the discussion especially on the merc board about this to be somewhat pointless, quoting lap times and other numbers. This is going to be a family hauler, not a dragster for a teenager.

The merc is a small little car and will fell like that when all the family is in there especially on a trip. It will get dirty and cluttered and be just another little car in traffic.

The X6m is a taller SUV with elevated seated positions and some more room. You will look over cars and also be much safer feeling. Probably safer in an accident despite mercs great tech. For a family hauler the X6 is the way to go and with 550hp more than enough power for anyone to have a quick thrill with the pedal.

I agree, numbers may not be that important but somehow they are. I'm coming from a performance car kind of background and most of my cars in the past have been insanely fast. So it actually IS very important to me how fast a car, even or especially the family car, accelerates from 0-200 kph or how it handles.

The point? Why? Well...I love high performance cars. Since I can't drive in a 997 Turbo to work, a different type of car has to do the job but with similar or close performance figures. It is just my "illness", my "itching", I love cars with lots of power, fast cars. So even the family car needs to be very fast, I can't help it, I NEED it. It keeps me alive and maybe even young, I don't know but I just enjoy such a car much more than an ordinary car.

I drove a ML320 for a couple of months when our first kid arrived, it was pure torture for me. This car was soooooo slooooowww. Shortly after, I ordered the ML55 AMG and I can remember how much fun I had with this SUV by that time. Most SUVs had Diesel engines with slightly over 200 HP tops, so the ML55 AMG was 8 years ago what the Cayenne Turbo S may be now, even more because there was no competition on the market for two or three years.

To make it short: Daddy needs a cool and fast ride. Period.

--

RC:

Smiley Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Daddy has to look in the mirror and realize he is getting older.

There is a long list of things we all used to like to do; have that are no longer possible; appropriate. Its a part of life.

But 550 hp is not roughing it. You can't say that with a straight face. I drove the X6 with 400hp and that thing was fast and handled brilliantly. Enough tourque for anyone.

Tourque is the key to a car feeling fast. 

BTW - what vehicle were you driving 10, 15 years ago that had 550hp?Smiley In fact I think if you buy the bmw you will be driving the most powerful vehicle you have ever had. Don't expect anyone here to  Smiley for you. 

Smiley

Horsepower is addictive, 300hp used to be big, I remember the time when I first own a 300hp car, it was like the most addictive drug. Soon 300 is not enough, Then came the 400hp barrier and then 500. Nowadays a 300hp 335i is just a foul weather bang-around car for me, 300+ is the bare minimum threshold to get me any interest into the car unless it's like a super lightweight where it can do 4 sec 0-60. Sub 5 second 0-60 is another benchmark, I do not want to drive/own something that does it over 5 sec, in my mind those cars/trucks are simply too slow for the road :)

I'm completely Agree with RC. I NEED power. When I have to drive my wife's X3 3.0si, it just feels so slow! It does 0-100kmh in 7.4s, so it's not very slow. But I couldn't stand it so I ordered a C63 2 months later so that I also have a 4 seater car myself that we can fit our baby seat. Now that my wife wants a bigger car, I jumped at the opportunity to get something that is fast so I won't dread driving her car on family trips and stuff. Power is addictive. Once you have it, you just can't turn back!

At age 20, I owned a Lancia Delta HF Integrale 8V, a couple of months later the 16V.

The first one had 260 HP, the second one almost 300 HP (water injection, larger turbo charger, larger intercooler, etc.). This was in 1985...there was almost no car on the market, especially not in that price range, to be able to outrun this little baby.

Vmax was only around 215-225 kph but the tuned 16V did 0-100 kph in around 5.3 seconds. 1985. 

For a short time, around 1988 or so, I owned a heavily modded Toyota Celica 4WD. Power output was around 260 HP...in 1988. 21 years ago, this meant something.

My 996 Turbo has been heavily modded by RS-Tuning...around 560 HP on the paper, around 580 HP (engine dyno !) in reality.

My 997 Turbo currently outruns from 0-300 kph any stock Porsche available... 

The Cayenne Turbo S has 521 HP stock, top speed (GPS measured) is 274 kph, around 287 on the speedo. I really drive this speed very often in summertime.

My wife's BMW M3 Cab has the M driver package, it is "delimited" to 280 kph. I drive this speed too very often in summer time.

Bottom line is: yes, I know I'm getting old but I also know that if I want to enjoy these cars, I need to do it NOW because 20 years later, things may change, even earlier.

I'm not too interested in top speed but acceleration. Torque indeed is important but it gives a false feeling of power and performance. A Golf Turbodiesel feels powerful but in reality, this car is very slow. I don't need the feel, I actually really need the performance.

If somebody thinks that I need it for traffic light races or any other dumb things, you're wrong. I usually only race motorcycles with my 997 Turbo, this is the only thing left because cars usually have not the slightest chance.   In my family car(s), I usually drive fast and avoid provocative situations because I don't want to put my family in danger, I'm old enough to know when it is time to slow down and let others pass. It happens to me all the time, especially when driving the Cayenne but apparently some younger so called sportscar drivers don't realize that this truck does 0-100 kph in 5.2 and 0-200 kph in 17.9 seconds.

Bottom line is: I enjoy my cars while I can and I can only do that if they have "satisfactory" power. The Mini Cooper S for example is like a toy car for me, this is why it sometimes is fun because I really can push it to the limit. With the 997 Turbo, I would need a huge airfield to do that.

Like I said: Daddy needs fun...before he gets too old to enjoy this. 

Btw: do you know my "nickname" amongst other (younger) drivers ? "Undercover Daddy". Now go figure out why. 

--

Undercover DaddySmileySmiley!

Christian, what kind of mods did you add to your Turbo? Is the Youtube video you posted of your car (the under-30-seconds-to-300 video)?

As for the X6M and C63, would you be getting the C63 T or the regular limousine? I can see how packing for a longer trip might be a problem with the limousine. Also, how do the two cars compare in fuel consumption? Besides the C63 being more inconspicuous (I see debadged cars here all the time and nobody notices them), it would also likely require less fuel stops than the big X6.

I vote for the X6M in an inconspicuous color for the Doc to drive to work. You can drive the mini to work. That should be good.

To all others I would say you are convincing yourselves that your assometer is more accurate than it is. My 928 does 0-60 in 5.3 and I have driven cars that do 0-60 in 4.0, yet the 928's torque and sound made it SEEM the faster car. All these numbers mean spit in the real world unless you are racing. Looks and sound rule, imo.

RC, when the 997tt lease runs out you can get a used ZR1 if you still feel the need for speed. 

I vote X6M cause you can tune that baby up God knows how far!

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

One of our admins knows a well known BMW tuner who offers soon a 700 (!) HP kit for the X6 M. Ouch.  

I may have found a third solution for my "dilemma", can't provide details right now but it would be a very nice compromise which involves the X6 M and a Porsche. I'll keep you guys updated.

--

RC:

One of our admins knows a well known BMW tuner who offers soon a 700 (!) HP kit for the X6 M. Ouch.  

I may have found a third solution for my "dilemma", can't provide details right now but it would be a very nice compromise which involves the X6 M and a Porsche. I'll keep you guys updated.

Christian,

X6M or C63 Limousine(or C63 T?)?

My honest opinion? NONE.

Why?

You currently have pretty powerfull cars and you drove both X6M and C63. Correct me if I am wrong but, despite bad Cayenne Turbo S image in Germany-how much better are actually X6M or C63 then your Cayenne? Or faster? Or bigger in interior space and trunk?

I hope that you understand my points-you need some other car as potential Cayenne replacement in my humble opinion.

Maybe RS6 Avant(debadged in Daytona Grey for example)... Or maybe even something else...

Yeah the RS6 Avant is the ultimate incognito supercar, A6 Avants in germany are EVERYWHERE because they are very popular as company cars, so you will blend in. But meanwhile you have actually a lambo engine under the hood 

Plenty of space for the family too.

RC:

Very well said...i'm with you!!Smiley

Fast cars take us youngerSmiley

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

RC: may have found a third solution for my "dilemma", can't provide details right now but it would be a very nice compromise which involves the X6 M and a Porsche. I'll keep you guys updated.

GOD! He is going to mate the Cayenne with the X6M and produced a half-breed!!!!!!!!!

He'll just buy the X6 chassis and put the porsche engine in it, then he'll put the X5 seats in it.

pride355:
    RC:

Smiley Smiley

Lol, dont we all? Smiley

Whoopsy:

GOD! He is going to mate the Cayenne with the X6M and produced a half-breed!!!!!!!!!

Smiley How did you find out ? Smiley...Smiley

--

I was experimenting with mating the X5M with the 997 Turbo and came out with the X6M..................

And I am still stuck on the interior color, a part of me want it to be flashy and go with the red leather, but another part wants me to take black and turn the damn thing into Darth Vader.

A black X6 M with black painted rims should look very nice, a little red inside the car couldn't hurt but it isn't a must.

I'm never going to get a light colored leather interior again, after 3 years or usage and after torture from two little kids, it looks horrible. My dealer calls it "patina", I call it "crappy".

The X6 M dealer car is back in my garage, I'm going to have it for the weekend. It is raining and snowing right now over here, so this is a good chance to test how the X6 M behaves on slippery roads.

I'm going to post a little driving report with a couple of photos on sunday or so.

--

I am with you on light leather with kids, and with you even without kids. One of my friend had a Individual 7 with the 'white cream leather', it's all blue now because the blue on his jeans rubbing off.

RC:

A black X6 M with black painted rims should look very nice, a little red inside the car couldn't hurt but it isn't a must.

I'm never going to get a light colored leather interior again, after 3 years or usage and after torture from two little kids, it looks horrible. My dealer calls it "patina", I call it "crappy".

The X6 M dealer car is back in my garage, I'm going to have it for the weekend. It is raining and snowing right now over here, so this is a good chance to test how the X6 M behaves on slippery roads.

I'm going to post a little driving report with a couple of photos on sunday or so.

take many pics RC. i'm looking forward to this review.

i am greatly looking forward to RC's input as well.....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690535 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409793 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256044 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235283 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858465 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774749 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM