Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Very nice 997.2 Turbo video from Edmunds (and review)

Who says 4wd isn't fun, look at those slidesSmiley

www.insideline.com/porsche/911/2010/2010-porsche-911-turbo-first-drive-and-video.html

Some bootiful pics as well:

2010_porsche_911-turbo_f34_fd_2_1600.jpg

2010_porsche_911-turbo_r34_fd_2_1600.jpg

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Re: Very nice 997.2 Turbo video from Edmunds (and review)

The sea and the Turbo:

2010_porsche_911-turbo_r34_fd_1_1600.jpg

The interior with the new steering wheel looks greatSmiley

2010_porsche_911-turbo_int_fd_1_1600.jpg

Modern sculptureSmiley

2010_porsche_911-turbo_det_fd_12_1600.jpg

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Good to see my old stomping grounds!

My Mom lives 3 minutes from the Estoril circuit.

Spyderidol:

Good to see my old stomping grounds!

My Mom lives 3 minutes from the Estoril circuit.

Me too Smiley ... actually 7... Smiley ..but right now I´m 7000Km away Smiley

The new Turbo ia a real masterpiece, I´m just desapointed with the looks, can´t stand those fog lights.

J.Seven

Good to hear! - (I'm about 11,000Km away)

agree 100%Smiley wish porsche would have lost the foglights for the fl turbo, would have been perfect.

Ok, the fog lights are indeed a desgrase, and I´m not a big fan of that litlle rear spoiler either, much prefer the Carrera cleaner look, but this car perfomance is simply AMAAAAAAAAAZING. This guys manage to get this beast to Carrera GT performance levels, with 120hp less and weigthing much more, and even with less gas consunption and CO/Km, what more can we say. Just yesterday I saw a car magazine which tested the 0-200Kph in 10,7sec, I will say it again 10,7 sec...Jezzzz this is serious stuff.

To get a 997.1 TT to this kind of performance, we would have to look for a US tuner package of 800Hp and European Tuner package of 650Hp if you know what I mean

Only cars like the Enzo or Zonda can leave this car "sligthly " behind on straight line performance Smiley and contrary to those two, the 997.2TT with PDK can perform those accelerations numbers all day long, while the others have to make a 100% perfert launch to get there. I don´t believe the figure we saw the other day of 41,0 sec 0-300Kph is the average time for this car. Let´s waite and see the next magazine to performe such test. 

The new Turbo is the king for it´s price/performance package, even the 997 GT2 is slower than this new beast, congrats Porsche what an amazing job you put together.

J.Seven

Surely from the data that are trickling in, time and again what has stood out is the astounding acceleration performance of the Turbo with PDK. (Another thread here.)
    I would warn people not to take test drives in this car as passenger; it will be scary & you're gonna want to jump out of the car at this kind of speed.

Turbo plus PDK is a marriage made in heaven (if you are not a manual die-hard). I think there are actually 2 things at play here:
    a. Speed of shifting
    b. Practically no drop of RPM/boost between shift.
    a. contributes, but I believe b is the REAL reason for these shocking 3.1-3.2 seconds 0-60 times. Uninterrupted power and torque!
    I think this is one of the rare times in Porsche history that owners of both old and facelift versions will stay happy; you want Mezger, or you want PDK? 

BTW, it would not surprise me to see PDK, dynamic engine mount, and torque vectoring in next generation's GT2.
    Anyone with inside information?

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

cannga:

BTW, it would not surprise me to see PDK, dynamic engine mount, and torque vectoring in next generation's GT2.

I don't think we'll see Torque Vectoring in the GT2.  Don't think it's needed with RWD...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

great car for sure. PDK and turbo are great set-up for all test data. all times will be  improved.

the turbo S with PDK, may prove to be the best all around sports car EVER !!! at any priceSmiley

I can't get over how quick it is off the line using launch control.  Superb.

--

http://www.phrog.co.uk

Great video and pictures. Just makes me wonder if anyone is going to stay with the old steering wheel buttons...

J.Seven:

Ok, the fog lights are indeed a desgrase, and I´m not a big fan of that litlle rear spoiler either, much prefer the Carrera cleaner look, but this car perfomance is simply AMAAAAAAAAAZING. This guys manage to get this beast to Carrera GT performance levels, with 120hp less and weigthing much more, and even with less gas consunption and CO/Km, what more can we say. Just yesterday I saw a car magazine which tested the 0-200Kph in 10,7sec, I will say it again 10,7 sec...Jezzzz this is serious stuff.

To get a 997.1 TT to this kind of performance, we would have to look for a US tuner package of 800Hp and European Tuner package of 650Hp if you know what I mean

Only cars like the Enzo or Zonda can leave this car "sligthly " behind on straight line performance Smiley and contrary to those two, the 997.2TT with PDK can perform those accelerations numbers all day long, while the others have to make a 100% perfert launch to get there. I don´t believe the figure we saw the other day of 41,0 sec 0-300Kph is the average time for this car. Let´s waite and see the next magazine to performe such test. 

The new Turbo is the king for it´s price/performance package, even the 997 GT2 is slower than this new beast, congrats Porsche what an amazing job you put together.

J.Seven

you just  said  everything i would like to say,  but with a very very  BETTER english than MINE!!

PERFECT!!!Smiley

2010 Porsche 911 Turbo first drive video by Inside Line...

Smiley

Ok, so since it seems to be the  yardstick, well at least one of them, anyone know how the 997.2 tt would do, or has done on the Nordschleife (997 GT3 Mk1 - 7'42"?)

^^^ The guess is in the low to mid 7:40's with PDK, and I think plus up to 5 secs without PDK (Turbo + PDK = a match made in heaven for speed, seemingly much much more than many of us car nuts have anticipated.).

But regardless of ring time, the story and the raves here are about the OTHER aspect of being a complete sports car, straightline and in-gear acceleration. And... with respect to this, GT3 is already hopelessly outmatched by 997.1 Turbo, let alone this beast that is the facelift Turbo with PDK. (And of course, only the Turbo allows me to take my kids to In-N-Out. Smiley)

"By 150 mph, the gap is 4.2 seconds, that's good night Vienna in sprint terms. And we've not touched on the in-gear times yet...Being 2.2 seconds faster here (50-70) is plain rude."

pp13 PS.jpg.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Thanks Can, cool stuff.

Interesting when you compare a race-bred car to a GT and the lines start to blur.

Totally agree with your previous comment re the benefits of TT / PDK. I think that the advantage should be even greater on a Turbo than on a NA car. As much as variable vanes are supposed to have eliminated turbo lag (from what they say, not from experience Smiley), nothing beats planting your right food and having constant boost while keeping the RPM in the sweet spot.

Anyway, whatever eventually happens at the Ring, the 997.2 TT PDK has to be faster than the GT-R's 7:29, it just has to Smiley

--

Slow In, Fast Out

^^ You're welcome.

I used to think the advantage of PDK is 50% faster shifting speed, 50% maintenance of boost. Now I am thinking it's 10% shift, 90% boost. LOL. Short of a detailed factory test, I don't know how else to explain these astounding numbers that we are seeing from the PDK Turbo.

In the manual Turbo, every time I shift, no matter how fast, boost drops to zero. The diverter valve is to "blame" I think; it opens whenever throttle is lifted, however brief and slight -- technical people & fast "gun slingers" here please correct me if I am wrong. (The only way out I think would be to speed-shift  , but there is no plan to abuse my "baby" so.)   Well PDK is a game changing technology when it comes to boost. I bet if anyone videos the Turbo boost bar graph during this weekend's test drive, it will be a spectacular demonstration of continuous boost all the way from 0 to 200!

In other words, I don't think the new engine is responsible, it's all in the PDK.

--

Regards,
    Can

Seems clear the PDK is a must-have option for the 997.2 turbo. The manual is there for traditionalists but you go that route for specific reasons related to driver involvement, not, as it used to be, for the ultimate performance. How long I wonder before PDK is standard and manual is a NCO?

The ghastly Tiptronic is gone, binned, history and Porsche have announced paddles will be standard from next year, finally bowing to the collective opinion that their front-back buttons suck. It would certainly be interesting to know if anyone has ordered a 997.2 turbo PDK without paddles. If you have, I think you're mad!

MarkN:

Seems clear the PDK is a must-have option for the 997.2 turbo. The manual is there for traditionalists but you go that route for specific reasons related to driver involvement, not, as it used to be, for the ultimate performance. How long I wonder before PDK is standard and manual is a NCO?

The ghastly Tiptronic is gone, binned, history and Porsche have announced paddles will be standard from next year, finally bowing to the collective opinion that their front-back buttons suck. It would certainly be interesting to know if anyone has ordered a 997.2 turbo PDK without paddles. If you have, I think you're mad!

I must be double mad then. I've ordered one that's going to be ready mid December. It's a manual. No PDK and no paddles.

Greg

--

Sold Aug 09: Gen1 Turbo. Arriving Dec 09: Gen2 Turbo. Both manual boxes.

MarkN:

Seems clear the PDK is a must-have option for the 997.2 turbo.

First congrats Mark/z80 on the amazing car. What a gift for the Holidays! I am green. Smiley

Objectively, I don't think there is any debate anymore which car is faster. If you want fast time at the track, PDK it is.
    Subjectively, and subjective evaluation of a car for me is more important unless one is out to win a race, I would say one has just got to go with what feels right. (For example I follow ring times with much interest but in the end it matters very little to me, compared to how the car FEELS in my daily drives.) So..... as much as I am in awe at the PDK Turbo, I am at heart the "manual" type. Pretty hard core as a matter of fact.

I hope the manual gear box will be like the analog watch, or the turntable/lp record player Smiley (making a serious come-back, alas in small numbers and only with truly nutty audiophiles). Technically maybe not perfect but what feels inherent right will make manufacturers maintain production, especially if there remain enough customers.
    I am thinking of getting another manual car before companies stop making these things. LOL. Yes, mid-engine Cayman with GT3-class suspension tuning and engine that doesn't RMS-leak; my dream car that PAG probably will never make.

Well there are enough toy variations to make everyone happy. "One big happy Turbo family." Smiley

--

Regards,
    Can

Greg, not mad at all; I think a lot of people are with you on this one. Congrats on the new car as well and be sure to post pictures.

As Mark and Can have said (and good analogies BTW), there is no doubt that PDK will be quicker but, as far as being involved in the experience and connecting with your car, manual is the way to go.

I'm not in a tax bracket that allows me to be in the market for a new TT  but, if I was, I would be hard pressed to choose between man / PDK (let alone TT / GT3, but that's for another thread). I'm still one or two steps away so hopefully, by the time I get there, and after millions and millions of manual shifts in my life, I'll be ready for an "automatic". I say hopefully because PDK WITH PADDLES really intrigues me.

I think the "mad" comment was to do with PDK but without the paddles.

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Thank you cannga / FFaust..

I'm actually reassured of the support for a manual gearbox choice, so thanks for that. I've unbuckled (only slightly though) the straight jacket and will be allowed out soon. FFaust , you're right of course about mad to do with no paddles and PDK. I misread that first of all.

However, what's all this news I'm reading about a Turbo S? I've spoken to three different UK Porsche centres and all say there's no confirmed plans & that they're all the last to hear. Anyone know for certain or as certain as possible?

Greg

--

Sold Aug 09: Gen1 Turbo. Arriving Dec 09: Gen2 Turbo. Both manual boxes.

Yes, my comment was to do with PDK and no paddles. It would be really interesting to know how many people are still going for the old buttons, maybe they want the multi-function stuff (which I hate). A manual turbo is an informed choice for those who want the extra driving involvement. Me, I'm going to enjoy the novelty of the PDK and those deliciously weighted paddles.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM