Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 2010 GT3 ceramic breaks

Grant:
    easy_rider911:

It's us who deserve a medal for tolerating the verbal mutilation that Americans inflict upon our beloved language! Smiley Smiley

The correct "English" grammar is "It's WE who deserve..."Smiley

Aha! Smiley That's one of my "pet peeves" in the English language. Smiley

The misuse of "me" for "I", etc., and vice versa is so common that many native English speakers seem to think that they are equally valid or correct alternatives.  Smiley

That's what you get when you start mixing French usage (e.g. "C'est moi") with Old English derived from archaic German. Smiley

--

fritz

Apparently, both 'we' and 'us' are correct Smiley:

http://www.whitesmoke.com/free-online-checker

I love Rennteam - we care so much about these things Smiley 

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I think we need a better electronic grammar checker.  "We" is used as the subject of a sentence and "Us" is an object.  You wouldn't use the sentence, "Us deserve cake".  You'd say "We deserve cake", right?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Grant:
    easy_rider911:

I think we need a better electronic grammar checker.  "We" is used as the subject of a sentence and "Us" is an object.  You wouldn't use the sentence, "Us deserve cake".  You'd say "We deserve cake", right?

Grant, you beat me to it.

Easy, you're right in another respect. I do care about this. Smiley

--

fritz

I agree with what you say Grant  I would certainly say "We deserve cake" rather than "Us deserve cake" Smiley

I think the difference of opinion lies in the fact that you're treating "we" as the subject of "deserve" whereas I'm treating "us" as the object of "It's" (e.g. if a few people knocked on a door and the person inside asked who it was, they would surely reply "It's us" not "It's we"). That seems to me to be why we see it differently 

--

easy_rider911:

I agree with what you say Grant  I would certainly say "We deserve cake" rather than "Us deserve cake" Smiley

I think the difference of opinion lies in the fact that you're treating "we" as the subject of "deserve" whereas I'm treating "us" as the object of "It's" (i.e. if 2 or more people knocked on a door and the person inside asked who it was, they would surely say "It's us" not "It's we"). That seems to me to be why we see it differently 

--

Aha, but you see the verb "To Be" of which "is" is a form is an intransitive (non-action) verb that does not take an object.Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

The verb "to be" can be both transitive and intransitive

--

In my example, replying "It's" would not be complete. The reply would need to be "It's us" i.e. responding who it is.

Actually, I think we would answer the phone differently too.

If someone phones asking for Bob, Bob would reply (if he's American) saying "It is I" or "This is he". I don't think we would say either in the UK. They sound unnatural to us.

--

easy_rider911:

The verb "to be" can be both transitive and intransitive

Can it be intransitive as you used it in your original sentence?  Please provide a reference (not trying to be a jerk, just surprised).

--

It's on page 93 of my copy of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary. Unfortunately, I can't find an online version to show you.

C'mon Grant - this started because I was playfully poking fun that you guys spell it as 'tires' rather than 'tyres' - you're getting a bit too worked up my friend 

--

easy_rider911:

It's on page 93 of my copy of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary. Unfortunately, I can't find an online version to show you.

C'mon Grant - this started because I was playfully poking fun that you guys spell it as 'tires' rather than 'tyres' - you're getting a bit too worked up my friend 

-- 

I'm not worked up at all.  I'm legitimately interested.   Thanks for the explanationSmiley

--

cannga:
    MKSGR:

I think there is a "test" to see whether brake wear is PSM/ABS related or due to proper but intense use: if the rear discs wear significantly faster than the front discs the problem is more driver related (too much PSM interaction...). If the wear is similar front and rear PCCB itself is the limiting factor. In the end the brakes convert massive energy into heat. No wonder that wear can be quite significant even with latest PCCB technology Smiley

So to prevent damage to PCCB at the track, you would turn off both components of the GT2's PSM --Stability Control & Traction Control? (Not that I think it's advisable to do so.)

And if you do this and still fry your brakes at the track, then you could reason that  it IS the ABS that causes the damage?

I think you don't even have to turn PSM/TC off to find that out (BTW, turning off TC will definitively have a negative impact on lap times - unless you are Michael Schumacher... TC works so well and so smooth, I could not manage to get this right on my own in a similar way):

If disc wear on the front and rear axis are very similar this indicates that TC is not the problem. If PSM should be the problem you would notice anyhow as the light will flash quite often Smiley

No problem Grant Smiley I guess that you and/or fritz may not entirely agree but I certainly tried my best to explain why I believe we are both correct anyway Smiley

Anyway, I'm glad MKSGR has brought us back on topic Smiley

--

easy_rider911:

Somebody has to do it SmileySmileySmiley

Grant:
    Aha, but you see the verb "To Be" of which "is" is a form is an intransitive (non-action) verb that does not take an object.Smiley

Hey, we be conjugating!

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow + 2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray +1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau +2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

W8MM:
    Grant:

Hey, we be conjugating!

Did you just drop by this thread for a conjugal visit?Smiley

--

Grant:
    Did you just drop by this thread for a conjugal visit?Smiley

Yes, I thought it was infinitively better than most.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow + 2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray +1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau +2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

I apologize for taking the thread off topic again, but I've just heard a BBC TV presenter say:

"... and now I'm going to show you something that only us fowl breeders know about":

Easy, I hope that you're not going to say that the use of "us" instead of "we" is in any way correct in that context? Smiley

To try to make up for going off topic again, I would like to suggest to Hani, who unsuspectingly started this thread Smiley, that he tells his friend with the squeaking brakes to try several hard braking cycles from relatively high speeds to attempt to grind off a glazed layer of friction material which may be causing the squeak. Smiley

--

fritz

MKSGR:
    easy_rider911:

Somebody has to do it SmileySmileySmiley

It's time "us" serious posters spring to action.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

MKSGR:
    cannga:
    MKSGR:

I think there is a "test" to see whether brake wear is PSM/ABS related or due to proper but intense use: if the rear discs wear significantly faster than the front discs the problem is more driver related (too much PSM interaction...). If the wear is similar front and rear PCCB itself is the limiting factor. In the end the brakes convert massive energy into heat. No wonder that wear can be quite significant even with latest PCCB technology Smiley

So to prevent damage to PCCB at the track, you would turn off both components of the GT2's PSM --Stability Control & Traction Control? (Not that I think it's advisable to do so.)

And if you do this and still fry your brakes at the track, then you could reason that  it IS the ABS that causes the damage?

I think you don't even have to turn PSM/TC off to find that out (BTW, turning off TC will definitively have a negative impact on lap times - unless you are Michael Schumacher... TC works so well and so smooth, I could not manage to get this right on my own in a similar way):

If disc wear on the front and rear axis are very similar this indicates that TC is not the problem. If PSM should be the problem you would notice anyhow as the light will flash quite often Smiley

Thanks for the very interesting comments.

What about PASM? Have you found your time to be faster on the track with it on or off? Is it also track dependent?

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

cannga:
    MKSGR:
    cannga:
    MKSGR:

Thanks for the very interesting comments.

What about PASM? Have you found your time to be faster on the track with it on or off? Is it also track dependent?

In general I would say that PASM in Sport mode is best for flat tracks, i.e. typical GP style tracks. On more bumpy roads or in the wet the Normal mode does work better. Of course, this applies to the GT2. In other Porsche models (like 997 or 997TT) I would argue that PASM Sport is probably best for all tracks as the Normal mode seems less track oriented than in case of the GT2 Smiley

^^^ Good insight, Marcus.

--

Regards,
    Can

Hey Guys,

I'm Hani's friend with the "squeeking red brakes". I've done many high speed braking runs to try and get rid of layers of anything really but to no avail.  My brakes were not only squeeking they were also grinding at times and the noise was absolutely unbearable.  It wasn't a small or tiny squeek it was ear drum shattering, so i took the car in to the dealer.  They said I had a problem with my pads and that they would change them but were just waiting on some parts, and also some kind of Brake paste. It took 3 weeks for them to receive the parts, so imagine mental state for those 3 weeks. They also told me that there was nothing wrong with my braking it was just a matter of noise, so i didn't have tto worry about a drop in braking performance.  I'm travelling now for a week and the car is at the dealer being refitted with new pads and some of that brake paste.  anyone know what that paste could be? Oh and i also told them that if the car still squeeks not to give it back to me! lol

Mo

In the UK they often use a product called copper ease. It is placed on the back of the brake pads on the metal surface facing the caliper piston.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b79s4325p1412&tbv=COMMA_-_Copper_Ease_-_Oil,_Lubrication,_Fluids_&_Liquid_...

It's a dirty job so i would not do it myself and if you get it on the rotors or front of the pads you will be in trouble ! Also i am not sure if it is the exact product that Porsche use. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM