Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2009 Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix

@Thoma: thanks for the video - Kobayashi did well

--

RTA2.jpg

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD
    PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Race results:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/7921179.stm

--

RTA2.jpg

Thoma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&v=5cAFTC4RyAs

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Proves the point...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

What a race between Webber and Button.  It's the kind of stuff we don't see in F1 anymore.  Question is, why can't this be done all through out the races?  Button was able to close right up to Webber and the two of them are slipping and sliding more than I have seen a F1 car do for a long long time.  So why can't others do this?  Great racing and well done to both of them for keeping the car on the tarmac.

I have to agree that the last couple laps were very exciting to watch. Webber can be quite difficult to pass but I think both raced fair. This sort of action should and could happen much more often.

Congratulations to Vettel on a brilliant drive. I hope Newey and the Red Bull team give him a competitive car for next year. Vettel is only going to get better!

546735317.jpg

I was so fortunate to go to Abu Dhabi (PCO) to watch the race, in one word fantastic !!!!! Abu Dhabi really pulled it off, you need to see it to believe it. From our dedicated car parks we were transported with buses to our grandstands. I would recommend the Pit Support Building in which we had seats at the top (row Q). I was able to see cars for approx 60seconds of the 1min and 40 second lap (brilliant). Toilets, snackbars etc were all available per grandstand with the usual mercandise, more food and other tents between the grandstands.

Please find some pictures, fish eye view (day, late afternoon and early evening).
    1257270013238F1 seat fish1.jpg

1257269973099F1 seat fish2.jpg

F1 seat fish3.jpg

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

Wonderful photos

--

RTA2.jpg

Easy, thanks ! Guess what camera I took them with........indeed my Iphone (amazing)

Also I shaked Wulfgang Porsches hand !!!! I was invited by Porsche Middle East to join them to represent PCO for lunch at the Yas Island Hotel. Another amazing structure especially at night. I watched the Porsche races from their VIP box, fantastic !!!!

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

I can't believe those brilliant pictures are from your Iphone. The illumination around the track is great, and so are your picts.

It sounds like you had one heck of a time.

That must have been a great experience..

Can hardly believe those fabulous photos were taken with a camera/phone....especially when you zoom in, amazing quality..

--

Vettel really will compete for the championship 2010, he's funny too:

I'll take your word for it..... that he's funny I mean..

--

he's AWESOME!!!

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

What was that thing about the diffuser?

What he was saying?

--
    There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

What was that thing about the diffuser?

What he was saying?

Nothing about the diffuser, he said "die Füsse hochgehoben" (lifted the feet)... Smiley

As he got very close to the audience in the afternoon´s rehearsal, they lifted their feet as if someone´d vacuum clean the floor. Pretty stunning to do that manouvre inside a TV studio.

Markdsv:

Guess what camera I took them with........indeed my Iphone (amazing)

Impressive. Did you use an app for that?

I was also privileged to go to the Abu Dhabi GP. Man, I have been to a few of these venues, but this one was special! The facilities, track, and organisation was top class! (Imagine – no traffic getting into or exiting from the venue, and no queues for the buses to or from the car parks!) Special mention to Kobayashi, who I thought drove like a total pro, without getting intimidated – my drive of the day! Sad to hear about Toyota – looks like his chances are really slim for a drive in 2010.

We sat in the West Grandstand, which is situated at turns 8 & 9, at the end of the long back straight, so got to see some interesting overtaking manoeuvres / spills!

The Porsche Supercup was also very interesting, and it was nice to hear the ‘unrestricted’ exhausts of the cars in full flow! (and the “bam-bam” of the sequential gearboxes when up and downshifting!). I have taken some pics of a show Supercup car with my friend’s camera, and am in the process of getting hold of his memory card, after which I will post some pics.

As is the case nowadays on some new venues, our ticket bought us entry to some fabulous concerts – 1st day – Beyoncé; 2nd day – Jamiroquai, Quali day – Kings of Leon & Race day – Aerosmith! So all in all it was a party atmosphere unlike any other race day I’ve been to!

I’m DEFINITELY going next year!!

Some pics taken from my camera:

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3808.JPG

--

Thank you Ferdie! Smiley

--
    There is no try. Just do.

Ferdie:
    Markdsv:

Guess what camera I took them with........indeed my Iphone (amazing)

Impressive. Did you use an app for that?

hi ferdie, indeed in used an application called 'panorama' nice wee program allowing you to take pictures with a shadow of the previous picture, once done the application stiches the pictures together. Abu dhabi really pulled it of, a fantastic track not to mention the concerts as well. We did go to AeroSmith, fantastic!!! As I am involved with Porsche club Oman (PCO) I was also invited for lunch at the Yas marina hotel, shoulder rubbing with Branson an d Jackie Stewart (smile), no it was great watching the Porsche cup from the VIP balcony. looking already forward to next year, I am sure it it not the end of F1 it is a new beginning, going to be interesting with the new teams
    --

Nice pictures!!! You were able to see the cars coming in the shicane from the longest straight in F1, must have been great to see! What about renting a boat for next year, must we great to see it from the harbour! Cheers mark
    --

Thanks, Mark!  Yes, it surely was a memorable event!  (And even more for you from the sound of it!)  Our stand gave us the view of the chicane, and we were seated just at the braking point, so it was really interesting.  In addition, we also had a view of the last 2 corners and the start-finish straight, so it was by F1 standards, an excellent view!  I had also rented the Kangaroo, without which I would have been lost, as we were not exactly in front of a video screen.

In fact, my cousin was on one of the yachts, and he had the time of his life!  I haven't caught up with him yet to get the lodown, but sufficeth to say, when I called him on race day, he was not in a condition to reply to my questions!!

Incidentally, was Kareem, the PCUAE President also with you?  I met Blair and some other PCUAE guys in my stand, but not Kareem.

--

Indeed it was a very memorable event, I was in the pit support building and was able to see approx 60second of the lap (fantastic). Unfortunately the bridge going to Yas Marina Hotel obstructed our view to see the end of the straight and chicane you were able to see. For next year (if not on a yacht !!!) I will be booking the West Grand Stand as I think your point of view is fantastic as well. Kangaroo? do you mean the small handheld TV? where i you rent this? We were opposite a TV screen what was good however I still couldn't read the timings.

I am not 'hot' with names however Jeremy our founding president commented that he didn't see the president from other clubs, he might be wrong ofcourse. I remember shaking hands with one of PCUAE 'professional' drivers?, very nice guy, not sure of his name. I am sure all Porsche clubs were represented but unfortunately cannot remember any names ;-)

Cheers,

Mark

--

Yes, the Kangaroo, is just that small screen, which updated in real time, with English commentary from the BBC (not that you could hear any of it!).  I rented it from the main grandstand area called F1 Village.

You probably met Karim - a short stocky Lebanese guy, who fits your description (he races professionally for House of Portier in the UAE Touring Car chapionships in a (sacrilege!!) Corvette!!, and is a really nice guy, very nice to talk to and a total car nut like the rest of us!!)  He is the President of the PCUAE.

--

Arshad:

You probably met Karim - a short stocky Lebanese guy, who fits your description (he races professionally for House of Portier in the UAE Touring Car chapionships in a (sacrilege!!) Corvette!!, and is a really nice guy, very nice to talk to and a total car nut like the rest of us!!)  He is the President of the PCUAE.

Hi, upss yes can remember the name now, indeed very nice guy and easy to talk to. I am getting old Smiley so good to know he is PCUAE president.

I'll send you a PM shortly (will be tomorrow as I need to pick up my son for a birthday party) about PCO's desire to organize a trackday at the autodrome..........

Cheers,

Mark

--

Markdsv:
    hi ferdie, indeed in used an application called 'panorama' nice wee program allowing you to take pictures with a shadow of the previous picture, once done the application stiches the pictures together. Abu dhabi really pulled it of, a fantastic track not to mention the concerts as well. We did go to AeroSmith, fantastic!!! As I am involved with Porsche club Oman (PCO) I was also invited for lunch at the Yas marina hotel, shoulder rubbing with Branson and Jackie Stewart (smile), no it was great watching the Porsche cup from the VIP balcony. looking already forward to next year, I am sure it it not the end of F1 it is a new beginning, going to be interesting with the new teams

Dank je wel, Mark! Very memorable event for you, obviously. Smiley

Vettel and Schumacher beat Button to win "Race Of Champions"...

Vettel and Schumacher beat Button to win ROC Nations Cup...

Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel and seven-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher proved a winning combination during the first day of action at this year’s Race of Champions (ROC) event in Beijing on Tuesday.

The duo clinched their third successive Nations Cup victory for Germany in the Chinese city’s spectacular Bird’s Nest stadium, after beating the Team GB pairing of new Formula One world champion Jenson Button and three-time World Touring Car champion Andy Priaulx in the finals.

Schumacher beat Button in the final's first heat, while Vettel was beaten by Priaulx in the second. However in the crucial tiebreak decider, crowd favourite Schumacher took victory driving the unique Race of Champions Car.

“We had a nice fight - I just come back to this event to use whatever there is left of a talent,” said the former Ferrari driver. “With this track, it's just a case of watching where the other guy is to know how hard to push. Of course, the racing is the highlight but the other stuff that goes on around that is part of the relaxed atmosphere of the Race of Champions that we all enjoy.”

Vettel and Schumacher had already defeated teams including China and Finland to reach the semi-finals. There, they competed against American rally drivers Tanner Foust and Travis Pastrana. But, despite a heroic effort by Foust to beat Schumacher, Vettel's two wins took Team Germany to the final once again.

Vettel, who finished runner-up to Button in this year's F1 championship, was equally thrilled with Team Germany’s success, saying: “To win three times in a row is something that no one has done before, so it's a real reason to be proud.”

After his first taste of the ROC Nations Cup finals, Button was disappointed not to win: “To be out there celebrating being the first loser is never best, I don't like finishing second. It was a lot of fun - I spent most of the evening trying to hang on to my team mate's coat tails.”

The Formula One drivers were less successful in Wednesday's individual Race of Champions contest. Schumacher beat Vettel in the semi-finals, but then lost in the final to former DTM champion Mattias Ekstrom, who had earlier knocked out Button in his semi-final showdown.

Smiley SmileySmiley

Re: Vettel and Schumacher beat Button to win "Race Of Champions"...

The cars look like fun, how is that class called?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689981 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409457 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255848 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235077 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65588 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858209 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774331 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM