Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SportAUto Supertest of X6M

Personally, I think this car highlights that an extremely heavy SUV will remain a SUV - even with 555hp...

0-100: 4.7s

0-200: 16.3s

200-0: 147.7m

HHR: 1.17,1

NBR: 8.24

Test weight: 2,350kg

Average fuel consumption: 22.9 l/100km Smiley

Re: SportAUto Supertest of X6M

8.24 is terrible.

Personally i would wait for the next generation 5-series, the 550i will come equiped with a similar 4.8 biturbo v8 but in a lighter more sporty package. Or even wait for the next-gen m5 which has been testing at the ring for sometime now, so perhaps bmw won't wait as long as customary to release it.

palenimbus:

8.24 is terrible.

I wouldn't say it's terrible.  This is faster than a Porsche 911 from not too long ago.  It's all relative.  I certainly wouldn't want an SUV of any kind, but this performance is pretty good for such a large vehicle.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

palenimbus:

8.24 is terrible.

Personally i would wait for the next generation 5-series, the 550i will come equiped with a similar 4.8 biturbo v8 but in a lighter more sporty package. Or even wait for the next-gen m5 which has been testing at the ring for sometime now, so perhaps bmw won't wait as long as customary to release it.

It is almost as fast as an E46 M3 coupe. Smiley 

It is not bad if you consider this car as an SUV. It is definately faster than current Cayenne TTS.

On the other hand, new 550i with a V8 bi-turbo (if M5 would have V8 Bi-Turbo, BMW might use V6 Bi-Turbo for 550i, though) in a sedan form, it sure will be faster with less weight and more dynamic ride.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Maybe new M5 will be a hybrid!

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

MKSGR:

Personally, I think this car highlights that an extremely heavy SUV will remain a SUV - even with 555hp...

please, can you post also the results of the audi v12tdi vs cayenne? grazie!

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Here you go:

Q7 V12 TDI vs. Cayenne Turbo S 

0-100kph: 5.8s vs. 5.0s

0-200kph: 20.4s vs. 16.9s

200-0kph: 154.4m vs. 158.8m

Test weight: 2.7t vs. 2.5t

Fuel consumption: 16.0l/100km vs. 25.3l/100km

HHR lap time: 1.20,1 vs. 1,16.7

Smiley

So it is slightly slower than Turbo S at HHR, and better than it in all other aspect...what is there to complaint about when it is also so much cheaper?  Btw, I have to declare my interest in that I have a X5M coming,  so of course I will say favourable things about the X5M/X6M twin.

MKSGR:

I don't expect it to be anything but a superfast SUV!  And indeed it is!  How does it compare against RS6 wagon in the supertest and what does Sportauto actually think of the car beyond just the numbers?

WAY:

So it is slightly slower than Turbo S at HHR, and better than it in all other aspect...what is there to complaint about when it is also so much cheaper?  Btw, I have to declare my interest in that I have a X5M coming,  so of course I will say favourable things about the X5M/X6M twin.

You are right - based on these tests the X6M looks like the better choice Smiley

WAY:
    MKSGR:

I don't expect it to be anything but a superfast SUV!  And indeed it is!  How does it compare against RS6 wagon in the supertest and what does Sportauto actually think of the car beyond just the numbers?

If you can live with the "smaller" RS6 interior the RS6 is clearly the more sporty (I would also say better) choice: better acceleration, better lap times, less fuel consumption...

i am quite excited about my forthcoming x6m too. it is currently in production then will be shipped to germany where a quality control is made and Vmax increased and the to me. should have plates on in latest by january.

based on my liking of my current x6 50i i am sure it will be a great car.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

i am quite excited about my forthcoming x6m too. it is currently in production then will be shipped to germany where a quality control is made and Vmax increased and the to me. should have plates on in latest by january.

Then these test results come just in time to even increase the positive anticipation of your new car SmileySmileySmiley

MKSGR:
    intouch1:

Then these test results come just in time to even increase the positive anticipation of your new car SmileySmileySmiley

that's why i'd love a scaaaaaaaan....

anyway, am off to germany for a week as of tomorrow so will grab the first cpy i see Smiley

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

MKSGR:

Here you go:

Q7 V12 TDI vs. Cayenne Turbo S 

0-100kph: 5.8s vs. 5.0s

0-200kph: 20.4s vs. 16.9s

200-0kph: 154.4m vs. 158.8m

Test weight: 2.7t vs. 2.5t

Fuel consumption: 16.0l/100km vs. 25.3l/100km

HHR lap time: 1.20,1 vs. 1,16.7

Smiley

grazie!

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Why keep comparing the X6M to the Cayenne?

The X5M is the competition of the Cayenne, the X6M should be compared to the Panamera...

SciFrog:

The X5M is the competition of the Cayenne, the X6M should be compared to the Panamera...

Really?  I would never see it that way.  7 series is the competitor to Panamera!  X5M and X6M are IDENTICAL mechanically, only body differs.  So the figures aren't going to vary substantially between the two.

SciFrog:

while the x6 is a 4 seater it is definitely a 'ute and drives like one....albeit a very good one.

the feel is very different from a 7 series or s class.

i have to say that after i had owned the x6 for a couple of months and then drove my now sold cayenne turbo for a comparo trip the x6 feels 'tighter' all around. i would not say it's the better car but i do like it more.

--

MKSGR:

I actually think that the performance figures are pretty impressive.

The X6M outperforms my wife's M3 Cab DKG (and by a bit your M3 limo too), I don't see why the performance is "horrible"?!

Fuel consumption? Well...2.4 tons. Drive it gently and I bet you can get a "decent" 13-14 l/100 km with it.

I'm actually thinking a lot about the X5 or X6M, my wife likes the design of the X6 a lot but I'm more of a X5 guy because it attracts less attention.

Many people don't like SUVs for various reasons. One thing is for sure though: if you have kids, there is no better family car, especially if you live in a region with lots of snow.

The only "alternative" I could imagine would be the Panamera Turbo (or maybe even the 4S for those who don't want to spend a forture). Unfortunately the Panamera Turbo costs substantially more and also attracts much more attention than a SUV right now.

Lets see how the new Cayenne Turbo will perform, BMW certainly has set the performance goal a little bit higher.

I'm going to testdrive the X5 or X6M around mid of november, expect some nice pictures and an honest driving report.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    MKSGR:

The X6M outperforms my wife's M3 Cab DKG (and by a bit your M3 limo too), I don't see why the performance is "horrible"?!

Fuel consumption? Well...2.4 tons. Drive it gently and I bet you can get a "decent" 13-14 l/100 km with it.

I'm actually thinking a lot about the X5 or X6M, my wife likes the design of the X6 a lot but I'm more of a X5 guy because it attracts less attention.

Many people don't like SUVs for various reasons. One thing is for sure though: if you have kids, there is no better family car, especially if you live in a region with lots of snow.

The only "alternative" I could imagine would be the Panamera Turbo (or maybe even the 4S for those who don't want to spend a forture). Unfortunately the Panamera Turbo costs substantially more and also attracts much more attention than a SUV right now.

Lets see how the new Cayenne Turbo will perform, BMW certainly has set the performance goal a little bit higher.

I'm going to testdrive the X5 or X6M around mid of november, expect some nice pictures and an honest driving report.

can you make that beginning of november...or maybe actually after tomorrow...

--

RC:
    MKSGR:

I look forward to your driving report Christian.  I am also driving a X6M in Nov and hopefully I won't be dissapointed.  Too late anyway as I am committed to a X5M.

So today I spend 3 hours driving the X6M on a mixture of freeway, city and country roads (twisties).  The car is very impressive indeed!  Let's just say that other than the dull exhaust note, I can't fault it for what it is.  Where I make a comparison to what I know, I will mainly compare against my other family cars, and not my sports cars as it just wouldn't make sense. 

The first thing I notice as I pulled out of the parking spot is the soft rumble it makes at low revs.  Not bad I thought, not excellent like the V8s in my C63 or AMV8, but not bad.  Then the rev rises.  As it rises higher and higher through the rev range, it started sounding more and more like a 4 cylinder turbo engine, Golf GTI specifically.  Then I started playing with the gearchange at high revs at full throttle.  Wait a minute, this also sounds like the Golf GTI (in DSG guise) where it "farts" on the fast gearchange.  I didn't mind that at all and it's one of the things I miss since selling my GTI.   But the exhaust note is VERY dissapointing especially given that it is a V8!  Btw, pressing the M mode button increases the V8 rumble a bit, but it is still by no means nice sounding in anyway.  I have read that the X5M sounds better due to the different body configuration so that remains to be seen.

At low speed, the steering is light, much lighter than my 135i but heavier than the C63.  But like the C63, it firms up at speed and becomes quite meaty.  The ratio is also much more direct than a standard X5 or X3, and gives you a much more precise steering.  I later was told by the dealer that this is the same rack as the M5 and I am not surprised.  I am so glad this rack is so much more direct than our X3 that will be replaced by the X5M.

The ride on this car is magnificent.  Maybe this is less relevant to you guys in Germany, but we have crappy roads here and my two current family cars (the C63 and X3 M sport) bounce like a pogo stick.  This car almost waft through the rough roads, or at least relative to the C63/X3 it does!  Then as I headed out to the twisties, I got to really test the handling ability.  Wait, this car weighs 2.4 tons?  No way!  It corners so flat and the electronics is so clever in pulling it in to give it a very high limit.  I did a tight left-right-left at 100kmh and it just went through it with so little fuss that I thought I was going 60kmh!

And that brings me to speed, or rather the perception of speed.  This car hides speed very well.  You could easily travel at 100kmh thinking you are going 75.  It's the low rpm and wind noise I think that hides the perception of speed.  The engine is powerful, but not as sharp in throttle response as my C63.  In fact, (once again) the power delivery reminds me very much of the Golf GTI.  It has a slight turbo lag which isn't really perceptible but when you compare it against something like the C63 than it is there.  The big torque gives you the shove in the back the way turbo cars are very good at doing, but again I find that the C63 is more "violent" in that respect.  This car I think is desgined to be a bit more subtle in all areas.

Back to the gearchanges.  The gear change is twin-clutch quick which surprised me. I don't know how the engineers do it but it works as well as the DSG/DCTs out there.  Maybe the auto gearbox is not dead yet afterall.

The brakes on this thing is massive, and it shows when you stomp on the brake.  I didn't drive on roads that required constant heavy braking, but I can tell you from a few high speed brake test that the car tracks absolutely straight stomping on the brakes and it stops in a short distant.  It lacks feel the way the AP Racing brake with track pads feel on my 135i, nor is it super sensitive like on my C63.  I think it is a good balance, but I did notice that it worked a lot better than the initial few application of the brake before there was any heat on them.

So all in all, a mighty impressive vehicle for my family use.  I just get the feeling that I won't be using the C63 much as the family car as this is bigger, grippier and for more comfortable!  I can't wait to get delivery of my X5M!!!

Thanks for posting Smiley Interesting impressions Smiley

intouch1:

I'm afraid I can't. I'm not in Germany right now. Smiley

I hope to testdrive the X6 or X5M next week.

Here's the thing: my wife went to a skating arena last weekend with the kids and when she returned back to the Cayenne Turbo S, she found a huge "ARSCH" (ass) writing on the front hood, apparently written with ice cream. Luckily, the car was OK, no scratches.

Two weeks ago, when my wife was waiting in the Cayenne to pick up a meal for the kids at McDonald's, an older man approached her and attacked her verbally (kids were in the car). One McDonald's employee was brave enough to ask him to leave but my wife felt threatened.

It started again...you can't drive a Cayenne in Germany. 

A friend of ours parked in a parking garage in Munich to go shopping and when she returned to her Cayenne Turbo, she found "FUCK" scratched in her driver door. When the police arrived, the only comment one of the policeman made was "just drive a cheaper and smaller car and you're fine". Wow...what wisdom.

Bottom line is: we have other friends with SUVs, mostly BMW X5 and Mercedes ML and NONE of them had a similar experience. NEVER.

Right now, people in Germany, even people who have money, are mad at "managers" and "rich people" (whatever this means because I hear the same envy talk from people who I actually consider rich).

My local Porsche dealer has serious problems selling the Panamera, for the very same reasons. Most customers, even those who can easily afford the Panamera, are afraid to drive such a car in Germany.

You can feel and hear the envy everywhere, mostly when I talk to my customers. I'm lucky I'm no "manager", whatever this means for people. Smiley

The BMW X5 is a well known SUV, it actually doesn't have any special reputation and this is really a good think.

I may actually really jump on the X5M train, simply because I'm fed up to explain myself to people. I'm also fed up with fearing for my family's well-being because I'm pretty sure that one day, some nutcase won't leave it to writing dumb stuff on the car or yelling at my wife.

These are crazy times. When I showed up at my fuel station with my first Cayenne around 5 years ago, people were actually admiring the car. Now, whenever I fuel up the car, their looks tell me "hey, dude...you rob our fuel".

The media is EVIL, especially in Germany but in other countries too. It influences the people and puts a lot of dumb ideas into their heads. Envy is a real virus, a very bad disease which has caught many countries, especially Germany, with a very tight grip. The worldwide financial crisis has only worsened it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Wow!

Shocking and illogical but true!

I'm with RC on this one.

--
    There is no try. Just do.

RC:
    intouch1:

she found a huge "ARSCH" (ass) writing on the front hood, apparently written with ice cream. Luckily, the car was OK, no scratches.

why has he/she written it on the front ?  can't he/she tell the hood from the trunk ? Smiley

just kidding.

it is beyond me why germans exhibit such aggressive forms of envy.....

--

intouch1:
    RC:
    intouch1:

she found a huge "ARSCH" (ass) writing on the front hood, apparently written with ice cream. Luckily, the car was OK, no scratches.

My theory is that you find this kind of strange behavior in certain areas of Germany more than in others... For example you are very unlikely to encounter things like RC described in our part of Germany. And frankly I am very grateful for this.

MKSGR:
    intouch1:
    RC:
    intouch1:

My theory is that you find this kind of strange behavior in certain areas of Germany more than in others... For example you are very unlikely to encounter things like RC described in our part of Germany. And frankly I am very grateful for this.

And not in our part of Germany! 

--

AM

I'm so sorry to hear about this RC - hope your wife and kids weren't too shaken or upset by the experience. These people should look at themselves in the mirror and consider how good their own behaviour is. 

--

RTA2.jpg

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD
    PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Wow that is almost scary RC!  If that happened to my wife and kid, I would have changed cars immediately.  Luckily for us there is no such issue in this country, or at least where I live.  Our economy also has not been impacted by the GFC in any serious way (in fact the Reserve Bank increased the official interest rate this week to slow growth) so everything is as it was previously.  The Cayenne is sometimes ridiculed here because it isn't the most attractive SUV, but that is about it.  Hey, get the X5M, you won't regret it based on my experience yesterday.  But let me warn you that it doesn't have the nice loud V8 rumble that Cayenne Turbo has!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753337 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430830 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258651 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255503 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79555 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868426 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802026 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM