Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Superfactories

For those of you that have access to NatGeo (National Geographic Channel) on your Cable/Satellite television programming they are airing a series called "Superfactories"with an episode featuring Porsche. Haven't had the opportunity to view it yet but have heard it's very well done. 

--
    2006 997 carrera coupe

Re: Superfactories

It's past and it is Ultimate Factories... trailer here:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/ultimate-factories/4545/Overview

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S (ordered). Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

I stand corrected on the name, however, Ultimate Factories will air again on Thursday 10/29 @ 4:30 pm

--
    2006 997 carrera coupe

I downloaded it last night it is very good and up to date. A lot of focus on the new GT3 !!!! 

I saw it, its an excellent documentary. Made me really appricate my 911 even more. No question its a Ultimate factory....

That's 4:30 Eastern Standard Tiime

--
    2006 997 carrera coupe

Found it at youtube... Smiley

Superb documentary Smiley And yes, it doesn't show the engine hot-test stage Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I found the paint shop interesting.

They use humans to paint the base colour and have paint guns with all the premixed colours. I guess that is why paint to sample is so dam expensive .......

Also of interest was the differing colour undercoats that are used based on the colour of top coat (They use a colour nearest to the topcoat). Begs the question why is my undercoat white when i have a black topcoat ? 

One other thing occurred to me. PAG prohibits photography during the factory tour (e.g. when collecting a new car). But they have shown everything to everyone in this documentary. Doesn't make sense to me

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Agreed they are all the same. I could not take photos in the VW factory either.

What was funny from memory is how much cleaner things are in the Porsche factories. In VW on the golf production line the workers were all walking around with fags hanging out their mouths ! 

easy_rider911:

Superb documentary Smiley And yes, it doesn't show the engine hot-test stage Smiley

--

There isn't one. Only GT3 engines are hot-tested. Carrera engines are only cold-tested...

--

cdixon:

Agreed they are all the same. I could not take photos in the VW factory either.

What was funny from memory is how much cleaner things are in the Porsche factories. In VW on the golf production line the workers were all walking around with fags hanging out their mouths ! 

Smiley Smiley

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle,  93 Harley Davidson Nostalgia

That was a great show.

I liked the little robot taxis that take the parts around the factory.

Did you catch the distinction of the engine assembly building? It was interesting to see the engine parts connected to one another and then shuttled off on their little trip to the main assembly line.

But I saw no mention of engine creation or casting as Ferrari does.

Here is what I do know - the V8 block used in the Cayenne and presumably the one in the panamera is built by an outside distinct company. A division of Kolbenschmidt, they do make mention of working on 911/boxster engines also.

Here is the process originally used for the 928 block - special aluminum alloy w/o cylinder liners

Alusil

http://www.kspg-ag.de/pdfdoc/kspg_produktbroschueren/a_porsche_V8_e.pdf

I did find this;

Porsche's M96 sleeves are also silicon aluminum alloy. It's well known that the process for making Porsche's M96 sleeves is called Lokasil. Lokasil (localized silicon) is a faster, less costly process than Alusil. Kolbenschimdt Pierburg (KSPG) makes the sleeves for Porsche. Lokasil is a bore liner made of silicon fibers. When the bore liner is inserted into the block mold, the fibers burn out, leaving a high-content silicon surface in the bores. 

ADias:
    easy_rider911:

There isn't one. Only GT3 engines are hot-tested. Carrera engines are only cold-tested...

I don't think that is correct - I have seen the hot-testing of 997 Carrera engines with my own eyes when I visited the factory in Zuffenhausen on 10 November 2006. Unless they have stopped doing this since I was last there Smiley

--

It would appaer as though the 911/boxster engine BLOCK is also built by Kolbenschmidt

03/11/2005

KS Aluminium-Technologie AG: many years of cooperation with Porsche
    ATAG engine blocks also in the new 911 power package

Model offensive: For the last few months, two new power packages from Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, Germany have been on the market in the new Porsche 911 Carrera—the S model with its 3.8-liter engine is particularly eye-catching—and the new Boxster. Both model series are equipped with 6-cylinder boxer engines whose blocks were once again the work of KS Aluminium Technologie AG (ATAG), part of Rheinmetall’s Automotive sector. ATAG has been providing the engine block for this Porsche engine design since 1996; so far about 360,000 units have been manufactured and delivered.

For the first time since 1977, the Porsche 911 Carrera (Model 997) is offered in a second performance variant with more cubic capacity: There is a new 3.8-liter engine in the rear of the 911 Carrera S, with 355 horsepower (261 kW) at 6,600 RPM. This high-performance unit accelerates the vehicle from 0 to 100 km/h in just 4.8 seconds; its top speed is 293 km/h. The new Boxster is driven by a 240-horsepower (176 kW), 2.7-liter, six-cylinder engine with a top speed of 256 km/h; the 280-horsepower (206 kW), 3.2-liter, six-cylinder engine of the Boxster S accelerates it to a top speed of 268 km/h.

Moreover, for the market launch of the new 997 model from Porsche, the ATAG engine block experts worked closely with the sports car manufacturer in Zuffenhausen, Germany, to achieve an effective simplification and standardization of all Boxer engine block variants.

Key Account Manager Helmut Karl with a Porsche´engine block cross-section, which is being subjected to special laboratory tests. In the background is Dr. Juergen Klodt from the ATAG Production & Technology unit, who is responsible for the simulations of mold filling and hardening that were performed as part of process development.

Key Account Manager Helmut Karl: "The engine blocks supplied by us for the Porsche Boxer motors have the same external contours and are thus—roughly speaking—equivalent. The different displacement variants (2.7 and 3.2 liters for the Boxster, 3.6 and 3.8 liters for the 911 Carrera) are produced using different cylinder diameters and corresponding variations in the oil and water jacket designs." In recent years, Mr. Karl explained, "We achieved planned quality improvements through measures for design and process engineering optimization which led to a significant reduction of internal and external flaws."

The current Porsche project at ATAG is just one more example of the close, constructive cooperation that has gone on for years between the system supplier in Neckarsulm and the renowned sports car manufacturer in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. This is also reflected above all in the share of supply: KS Aluminum Technologie AG is the sole engine block supplier for the new Boxster / Boxster S as well as the 911 Carrera / 911 Carrera S.

Lower weight a critical factor

Production engineering at its best: The ATAG engine block for the Porsche Boxer engine, which is used in the latest Boxster model series as well as in the new Porsche 911 Carrera (3.6 liter displacement) and Carrera S (3.8 liter) are manufactured in the so-called squeeze-casting process (SC), which combines the low-pressure-like, slow cavity fill with the high post-pressure after-cavity fill typical of die casting. This post pressure effects the infiltration of the porous silicon preforms (see the description of Lokasil below) and enables a thinner-walled, lighter component design compared with the low-pressure casting process.

Equipped with engine blocks from KS Aluminium-Technologie AG under the tailgate: the new Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet (photo left)—the 3.8-liter engine is particularly eye-catching here—and also the completely redesigned, improved-performance Boxster S from Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, Germany. Foto (2): Porsche  

The patented Lokasil contact surface is a technical highlight of the project: In the aluminum engine block for the Porsche model series Boxster and 911 Carrera, instead of cast-in cylinder liners, contact surfaces made of a special aluminum-silicon composite provide improved application characteristics.

The trade name Lokasil stands for a technology, in which the contact surfaces of the cylinders in the engine block halves are enriched with silicon by infiltration of preforms. This produces a metal-matrix composite (MMC) material whose microstructure consists of an aluminum alloy with a very high silicon content. Ceram Tec AG (Plochingen, Germany) supplies the highly porous preforms, manufactured in a special freeze-casting process.

The advantages of the Lokasil technology are clear: In addition to weight reduction (no heavy cast parts) and compact design (minimal web width), it is distinguished by low thermal deformation, which leads to low oil consumption and reduced emissions, as well as by low wear and simple recyclability of the metal.

http://www.kspg-ag.de/index.php?fid=403&qid=&qpage=0&lang=3&query=911

easy_rider911:
    ADias:
    easy_rider911:

I don't think that is correct - I have seen the hot-testing of 997 Carrera engines with my own eyes when I visited the factory in Zuffenhausen on 10 November 2006. Unless they have stopped doing this since I was last there Smiley

We are both correct. They did test Carrera engines up to the '08 model. They stopped based on a stochastic manufacturing process that relies on controlled tolerance parts. They do test every 10th car on the line, but the 9 in-between go through untested. The point is that with advanced manufacturing, problems are few and testing mostly shows no faults. The issue is the random problem that gets through and has to be dealt by the customer/dealer.

--

ADias:
    easy_rider911:
    ADias:
    easy_rider911:

We are both correct. They did test Carrera engines up to the '08 model. They stopped based on a stochastic manufacturing process that relies on controlled tolerance parts. They do test every 10th car on the line, but the 9 in-between go through untested. The point is that with advanced manufacturing, problems are few and testing mostly shows no faults. The issue is the random problem that gets through and has to be dealt by the customer/dealer.

So does that explain why the 9 in-between had  RMS issues ?  SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM