Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Fitting a short shifter

When I met dreamcar (987.1 S with manual transmission & short shifter) and Kinrara (997.1 TT with manual transmission & short shifter) at The Kennels a couple of weeks ago, they both recommended that I should consider fitting a short shifter for the manual transmission on my 997.1 C2S.

I had originally resisted doing this on the basis that I found the gearbox 'notchy' with the short shifter.

Today, I tried it out on a Cayman demonstrator at an OPC. I loved it Smiley

I drove to the OPC in my own car so that I could make an instant back-to-back comparison Smiley

It turns out that, when the engine is off, the short shifter is indeed 'notchy'. But, once the car is started, the 'notchiness' goes and, once the gearbox is warmed up, it's very smooth. Luckily, I got to try it with a cold car so if there was any chance of 'notchiness' spoiling it, I would have noticed.

On the plus side, I found the short shifter to be very precise. The slots for each gear are very well defined and easier to 'find' and insert the gear stick into than the regular gearbox. The gear stick 'travel' is much reduced. Gear changes are certainly crisper and quicker as a result. I can't believe I didn't choose this earlier Smiley Smiley I really liked the 'snick-snick-snick' action.

After I finished my test of the short shifter in the facelift Cayman 2.7, I drove my own car and, at first, for the first few minutes, the gear lever seemed 'floppy' in comparison to the XCZ short shifter. I got used to it again within a few minutes. However, it is certainly less precise with much more travel.

When I ordered my car in February 2006, the XCZ Short Shifter (factory fitted) cost GBP380 inc VAT in the UK. In 2006 in Germany, it cost Euros 480 plus tax. For me, this would be Euros 480 * 0.93 (7% discount) /1.41 (to convert Euros to GB pounds at the FX rate back then) * 1.175 (adding UK 17.5% VAT from back then) which was GBP 372. Today the XCZ short shifter as a Tequipment item is GBP 402.59 (inc 15% UK VAT i.e. current rate of VAT)

I have been speaking to an OPC in the UK that will fit a short shifter for me as a Tequipment item. Parts, labour and VAT all for GBP 315. It's a great deal. Smiley I'm going ahead with it. Smiley

Incidentally, you may wish to know that the 'linkage' used in a 911 short shifter is different from the 'linkage' used in a Boxster or Cayman. The 911 short shifter is just slightly less 'notchy' than the Boxster/Cayman. I noticed this when I compared them at The Kennels. Now I discovered the reason why Smiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Re: Fitting a short shifter

easy_rider911:

Incidentally, you may wish to know that the 'linkage' used in a 911 short shifter is different from the 'linkage' used in a Boxster or Cayman. The 911 short shifter is just slightly less 'notchy' than the Boxster/Cayman. I noticed this when I compared them at The Kennels. Now I discovered the reason why Smiley

In the mid-engined cars the gear shift linkage cables goes over the engine to the gearbox at the very back-long way.

In the 911 the gearbox is in front of the engine-shorter way.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

I had the short-shift in my previous Carrera. It was much shorter but also much harsher. So I decided to stay with the standard in this car. Sometimes I miss the short ways but its much smoother.

I had a short shifter in my Boxster, and LOVED it!  In fact the initial 'notchiness' when cold only added some character to the car!  If I hadn't ordered the PDK for my current car, I would have definitely specified the XCZ option. 

--

Arshad you name it... the hardness is especially strong when the car is cold. Yes it gave a character but its far away from the metallic klicking noise of an Ferrari metal pattern!

Lars997:

I had the short-shift in my previous Carrera. It was much shorter but also much harsher. So I decided to stay with the standard in this car. Sometimes I miss the short ways but its much smoother.

The original short shifter for the 986/996 was much different from later ones and those used now in the 987/997.

When I first installed a S/S on a 986 the change was superb when the g/box was very hot after some longer drive (especially in our 38 degrees summers), but in traffic and short routes it was awkward even when hot. The original tequipment shifter was exactly like the after-market B&M shown below but painted black and with the Porsche trademark.

bm996shifter.jpg

I subsequently changed it to the new type and it was very good. Less extreme but still short and precise.

Now with my PDK I don't need to think about such issues anymore Smiley

--

Lars997:

Arshad you name it... the hardness is especially strong when the car is cold. Yes it gave a character but its far away from the metallic klicking noise of an Ferrari metal pattern!

Sure, but I wasn't comparing it to a Ferrari, just the stock Porsche (and in my case, the stock Boxster).    But you're right, when you say "the hardness is especially strong when the car is cold", and I 'd like to add that the colder it is outside, the worse the notchiness gets (until the car warms up, and then it becomes smooth).  But I just loved the action whilst shifting when the revs were high, and the car was warm.  On track it was a pleasure!! 

--

My car is booked in to have the XCZ Short Shifter fitted this Saturday. Looking forward to it

Here's a photo of the 'travel' on the standard shifter.

Standard Shifter.png

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Here's a photo of the reduced 'travel' on the XCZ Short Shifter:

1256205139912XCZ Short Shifter.png

--

Great!  Do let us know how it feels, as a comparison!

--

Sure, will do 

--

I had the short shifter fitted today. All I can say is that it is simply fantastic  So crisp and precise with much shorter 'throws'.

I used to have occasional instances where the lever would not go into 1st gear first time. I had to put the lever into 2nd gear before it would go into 1st gear. With the XCZ short shifter, that issue has disappeared.

Plus, 1st gear and 2nd gear appear less 'notchy' than before. I wasn't expecting this but it's a nice surprise. But it's still early days - I want to live with it for some weeks before making a final opinion about it.

BTW the standard OEM shifter is Porsche part no 997 424 010 00. The Tequipment short shifter is Porsche part no 997 424 983 00.

I kept the original OEM shifter too - in case I ever need to transfer my XCZ short shifter to another car.

I enjoyed the long drive back home from the Porsche dealer (which is outside London) in which I had a good chance to get really familiar with it. I'm very happy indeed with it 

--

Congratulations!  Isn't it a nice feeling to do a mod and it is successful?! 

Did you get a chance to see how it feels when cold?  As said earlier, even if it feels notchy when cold, the action when warm more than compensates! 

--

I'm planning to check how 'notchy' it feels early tomorrow morning after a cold start. I'll post any specific observations I notice afterwards 

But, for sure, it's a mod I'm (so far) very happy with and it's something that I would (so far) definitely recommend 

--

My wife and I decided to go out for dinner so I drove to Knightsbridge this evening. Lots of stop-start driving in minor traffic and also due to traffic lights etc - all I can say is that I actually prefer it even for city usage 

It makes shifting down a gear to take advantage of a clearing in the road ahead or in another lane so much quicker to do Smiley

Also, even from a cold start, there was virtually no notchiness with the 911 short shifter. A really nice observation I made 

--

Add me into the +1 short-shifter crowd. After meeting up and checking out VinceSF's short-shiftin' 987S about a year ago, I had my dealer change my standard shifter to the short-throw version. Since then, I haven't looked back! The short shifter feels natural to me, and makes me even wonder why it doesn't come that way from the factory.

--
    2008 Boxster S

awai08:

The short shifter feels natural to me, and makes me even wonder why it doesn't come that way from the factory.

The same for me, but I think the notchiness might put some potential customers off, so Porsche have played safe, and put the short shifter in their options list (with a disclaimer) - a win-win for Porsche!

--

@Arshad: I tried it this morning (after a cold start) and it was 'firmer' but not 'notchier'  Really, no problem at all.

I am 'finding' all sorts of new reasons/excuses to go out for a drive 

I am in love with it 

--

Based on your thread I thought I'd look into buying one and installing it myself for fun. Then I read the instructions. Probably take an afternoon to complete it but I may give it go.

Fabulous, Easy!  Great to hear!  Enjoy in good health!   

--

Thanks man

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Arshad:
    awai08:

The short shifter feels natural to me, and makes me even wonder why it doesn't come that way from the factory.

The same for me, but I think the notchiness might put some potential customers off, so Porsche have played safe, and put the short shifter in their options list (with a disclaimer) - a win-win for Porsche!

Yes, but this really should be a no-cost option, not the laughable amount Porsche charges for a factory fitment. Parts and labor costs are identical for both short shifter and standard shifter. That leaves the cost of processing the request from ordering to manufacturing; since  all of that is computerized and automated, the cost difference is basically zero. 

KMM, don't get me started on Porsche asking us to pay for obvious options, even for their branding (for e.g. embossed crest on head restraints, cetre console, etc., coloured wheel caps, leather interior for the Panamera, for God's sake!)  Do you know that in this market, to have '911' on the back of your car instead of 'Carrera', you have to pay!  Pay for the model designation of your car?  See, you've got me started!!  

--

I'm very happy for you that you like the Short Shifter that much, Easy Smiley

I recall that you always have been sceptical regarding this feature.

I never would go without this option on a manual Porsche. As you know I have it in the 987S and both my wife and me still love it even after 70,000 km Smiley

Even in very cold winter weather it takes only 1 km or so until it works smoothly. The gearbox in the 997.1 GT3 (which has shorter throws as standard) needs a bit more warm-up (2-3 km).

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Thanks Porsche-Jeck

Yes, you're right - I used to be sceptical about it - but now I share your view - I would never have a manual Porsche without it

Let's see how cold it gets this winter  and how long it takes to warm up

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

Thanks Porsche-Jeck

Yes, you're right - I used to be sceptical about it - but now I share your view - I would never have a manual Porsche without it

Let's see how cold it gets this winter  and how long it takes to warm up

In near zero degrees mornings be patient and shift very slowly until the systems warm up.

A fast change might get you,especially in the lower gears.

--

Thanks for the advice

--

Easy... I'm considering a mini-facelift for my car which includes the short shifter (also thinking maybe new wheels and some side decals..not sure yet)

Like you were, I've been sceptical about the short shifter mainly because of reports of notchiness when cold.  Could you let us have an update now that winter is setting in here.

Many thanks...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Hi John - a mini-facelift sounds like a great idea  It's always good to try to keep things feeling fresh/rejuvenated Smiley

In the UK, most owners (who haven't leased etc) are going to have to hang onto their cars for longer since the depreciation hit is so much worse than in years gone by. While I mostly wanted to increase my driving pleasure, this other factor was also part of my decision too i.e. whether I should be investing more money in it given that I will be keeping my car for a while.

The weather down here in London has turned a lot colder this week. Monday evening in particular was especially cold due to mist and fog descending everywhere. But the short shifter was still fine. When starting from stone cold, it was 'firm' when cold but not 'notchy'.  Like Porsche-Jeck said, it takes only a few minutes to warm up.

I would suggest you speak to an OPC to arrange a test drive. I did one in a Cayman with short shifter. I found it helped give me peace of mind to try it out before taking the plunge. NB: the Cayman/Boxster is slightly notchier than the 911 short shifter.

All I can say is that my only regret has been not fitting it sooner. It really is THAT good

About the other things - I still love my SportDesign rims even though they are more work to clean - but I have grown to really like the modern 'industrial' look of the Carrera S rims that you have on your car. They really suit it. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't change them but it's a very individual choice we all make.

As for decals, IMvHO they need to suit the character of the car to look and feel appropriate. If it isn't appropriate, then IMvHO it just feels like the owner is 'trying too hard'. I think they look much better on a GT3, GT3 RS or a classic 911. I personally wouldn't fit them on a Cayenne, Boxster, Cayman, Carrera, Targa, Turbo or even a GT2. Turbos and GT2s need a more stealthy look - they don't need to scream out that they are quick.

--

RTA2.jpg

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD
    PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

I had the short shifter fitted today. All I can say is that it is simply fantastic  So crisp and precise with much shorter 'throws'.

--

Hi easy Smiley I missed this thread - not been around here that much as it's been crazy at work - it's refit season again Smiley

Please you are enjoying the short shifter, like you I'm amazed how much better it is. I combined mine with retrofitting the aluminium / leather gear lever and handbrake, so the quality feel of real metal combined with the precision of the short-shift was a huge improvement Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690816 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410070 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256156 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235379 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858751 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775033 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM