Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

R8 in Maranello

I saw this add yesterday at the movies. Quite good Smiley So will there be a Ferrari-Audi publicity  war ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4iqG0TegyY

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Re: R8 in Maranello

This ad was made long ago and before the 458 Italia.

Anyway, if Audi wish to take on Ferrari in Ferrari's own game they cannot win IMO. The R8 is a superb car technically but for this type of car there is much more than the actual hardware. You have to have the "mythos" and charisma too.

It would have been better for Audi to come up with a supercar in the spirit of the Ur-Quattro (very German philosophy) than this Italanized Audi.

The film is entertaining with a collection of stereotypical Italian characters and all in the same street of Maranello!

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

hahaha that was great! Audi is making "enemies" of everyone I can already see fanboys rallying up and marketing exec. high fiving eachother

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

Audi just passed Mercedes in sales numbers, which is quite impressive and justifies their self-esteem.

Eunice:

Audi just passed Mercedes in sales numbers, which is quite impressive and justifies their self-esteem.

Mercedes are rather ordinary nowadays. If you exclude the S and SL models and perhaps some E models the rest of the range can be easily bettered by numerous cars. The "star" still has some allure but it's not what it used to be until the 80s.

Also from personal experience the reliability of some of their cars is bad.

For me all VW products are excellent but some BMW can be more entertaining to drive.

--

reginos:

Anyway, if Audi wish to take on Ferrari in Ferrari's own game they cannot win IMO. The R8 is a superb car technically but for this type of car there is much more than the actual hardware. You have to have the "mythos" and charisma too.

It would have been better for Audi to come up with a supercar in the spirit of the Ur-Quattro (very German philosophy) than this Italanized Audi.

The film is entertaining with a collection of stereotypical Italian characters and all in the same street of Maranello!

I agree with you; Audi cannot be seen or has a prestige of Ferrari; even Porsche doesn't have Ferrari type of charisma.

BUT, R8 becomes a succesfull car, and it is surprising to see that a front wheel drive car maker (Audi) produces a quattro drive car with a handling characteristic  of neutral to oversteer tendancy. R8 has more neutral handling characteristic and steers better than Carrera 4S.

It is a well balanced car with super car looks and first class interior with German built quality. IMO, neither BMW or Mercedes has this kind of special car in their model line up, and it is a shame for them.

I agree that Audi should also built Ur-Quattro but not in the place of R8 but besides R8.

For the ad: well it is a succesful ad and pictured very nicely but theme of the ad shows that Audi feels inferior to Ferrari. No need to give this kind of message. They are in different leagues in the end, IMO. This ad shows R8 as a wanna be car.

An R8 owner (hopefully I'll be one in near future) would buy this car to appreciate a German supercar that is not as expensive as italian rivals, and has minimum maintainance cost with good performance figures but to whom everyday practicality and quality is more important. I'm coming from 997.1 Carrera S, so I owned a Porsche for almost 2 years, I know what it means but prefer the R8 hands down.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

pride355:
    reginos:

I agree with you; Audi cannot be seen or has a prestige of Ferrari; even Porsche doesn't have Ferrari type of charisma.

BUT, R8 becomes a succesfull car, and it is surprising to see that a front wheel drive car maker (Audi) produces a quattro drive car with a handling characteristic  of neutral to oversteer tendancy. R8 has more neutral handling characteristic and steers better than Carrera 4S.

It is a well balanced car with super car looks and first class interior with German built quality. IMO, neither BMW or Mercedes has this kind of special car in their model line up, and it is a shame for them.

I agree that Audi should also built Ur-Quattro but not in the place of R8 but besides R8.

For the ad: well it is a succesful ad and pictured very nicely but theme of the ad shows that Audi feels inferior to Ferrari. No need to give this kind of message. They are in different leagues in the end, IMO. This ad shows R8 as a wanna be car.

An R8 owner (hopefully I'll be one in near future) would buy this car to appreciate a German supercar that is not as expensive as italian rivals, and has minimum maintainance cost with good performance figures but to whom everyday practicality and quality is more important. I'm coming from 997.1 Carrera S, so I owned a Porsche for almost 2 years, I know what it means but prefer the R8 hands down.

I don't doubt Audi's engineering success with the R8. It is a very good car in all aspects.

However, its style down to the engine under glass makes it an imitation of the Italian supercars, very correctly like you say a wannabe car.

Audi should have come up with their own style in a car in their own personality. This would have done more justice to the underlying superb engineering.

--

reginos:

I don't doubt Audi's engineering success with the R8. It is a very good car in all aspects.

However, its style down to the engine under glass makes it an imitation of the Italian supercars, very correctly like you say a wannabe car.

Audi should have come up with their own style in a car in their own personality. This would have done more justice to the underlying superb engineering.

I agree with you about glass engine cover BUT at least it comes standart with the car (unlike Lamborghini that starts to offer glass bonnet after 360 Modena at extra cost, so credit goes to Ferrari about showing off the engine) and evenif it is an imitation of Ferrari, I like to see the engine when I look at the rear veiw mirror and love to see how the engine shakes under throttle load.

So if it is only way to see the engine other than a mid-engine V8 Ferrari or LP560, I'm ok with the imitation. And have I told you that an R8 V8 with StaSiS exhaust sounds awesome Smiley

Tell you the truth, one of the biggest features of a mid-engine V8 Ferrari is the sound of the engine, at least for me. So here you have a car, a German car with a wonderful exhaust note eventhough it comes with aftermarket exhaust. Things cannot get better for R8 V8 price range, especially after the recession and R8 V10.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Here you go, an R8 V8 with Stasis exhaust:

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

Eunice:

Last year I was invited to the Audi factory for a private tour. ( They even hired a private jet to fly us there Smiley)

They told us very clearly that their goal is to be above Mercedes and BMW, that's why there are so many new products from them and it is far from being finished.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Why is anyone surprised when Piech is at the helm at VW Group?

He already thinks VW is on equal terms with MB, BMW with it's Phaeton, so naturally his baby Audi is surely on equal terms with Ferrari.

pride355:

Here you go, an R8 V8 with Stasis exhaust:

Nice sound. In another forum a r8 owner put LMS exhaust (from the same supplier of audi) on his v10 Smiley

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Out of the factory R8 V10 already sounds marvelous I can't imagine it with an aftermarket exhaust.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

Gnil:
    Eunice:

Last year I was invited to the Audi factory for a private tour. ( They even hired a private jet to fly us there Smiley)

They told us very clearly that their goal is to be above Mercedes and BMW, that's why there are so many new products from them and it is far from being finished.

Pride355,

I have an R8 V8 with StaSIS exhaust and I am never tired of the exhaust soundtrack.  It growls at low rpm and shrieks above 4000 rpm.  To me a sports car is defined as follows: sound, look, performance.

tony2006:

I have an R8 V8 with StaSIS exhaust and I am never tired of the exhaust soundtrack.  It growls at low rpm and shrieks above 4000 rpm.  To me a sports car is defined as follows: sound, look, performance.

Exactly Smiley

Please post pictures of your R8. I would love to have one in ibis white with carbon side blades.

That thing drives really very nicely. Do you have other mods on your R8??

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

Hi Pride,

Stasis exhaust is the only mod I have.  I don't like to modify car too much except for the exhaust.  I am not very good with posting pic's but I will try.  Mine is black with silver blade.  Your choice white with carbon blade is also excellent.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM