Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Lexus LF-A revealed

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/04/dont-fret-lexus-lfa-not-sold-out-more-allocated-to-u-s/

Original production number was limited 500 world wide, 150 to the US, those are not sold out yet but Lexus has made an extra 21 available to the US, meaning the rest of the world is not warming to a $400k Japanese Lexus, and Lexus is 'hoping' the US market like their brand enough to absorb the 150 + 21 units despite the 'pedal of death car' news lately.

Lexus had more than 500 'interested' buyers before they announce the pricing, but after they price it like an exotic, most of those 'interested' parties backed off, leaving the cars unsold. Had they priced it more inline with a Japanese car, no doubt it will be a sellout success.

Thanks!

--

2001 Corolla LE - 0-60: Yes.

2009 Corvette Z06 - 0-60: Ooooh yes.

For under 100000 k, the LF-A would have been a bomb on the sports car market but like this ? No thanks. For this kind of money, I can get a 997 GT2 RS and some other nice stuff on top of it. For car collectors, the LF-A may be a nice toy but for enthusiast sports car drivers...not

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Toyota has done the same thing with their 2000GT back in 1967.  

They say exclusivity, I say RIP-OFF.  

I've been waiting for the LF-A since they first announced it in 2005 at NAIAS.  However, I agree 100% that there is no value at this pricing range. 

Apparently Lexus is pushing the car in an indirect marketing approach. This commercial was shown during the US Open Golf commercial as often as the leader who won the tournament.

--

According to an article on skiddmark, Toyota´s chief testdriver H. Naruse has died in a head-on collision near the Nürburgring, colliding with a 3-series from BMW´s development team.

Not trying to be insensitive or something, but

#1, from the link it seems the LFA crossed the center line and crashed into the BMW, he lost control of the vehicle?

#2, Naruse and his passenger died in the crash while the 2 in the BMW survived, does not speak well for the safety, crash worthiness and survivability of the LFA.

#3, to expand on #2, it could be seen as another continuation of the Toyota 'death car' publicity.

Whoopsy:

Not trying to be insensitive or something, but

#1, from the link it seems the LFA crossed the center line and crashed into the BMW, he lost control of the vehicle?

#2, Naruse and his passenger died in the crash while the 2 in the BMW survived, does not speak well for the safety, crash worthiness and survivability of the LFA.

#3, to expand on #2, it could be seen as another continuation of the Toyota 'death car' publicity.

I'm afraid you're right. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Ferdie:

According to an article on skiddmark, Toyota´s chief testdriver H. Naruse has died in a head-on collision near the Nürburgring, colliding with a 3-series from BMW´s development team.

It seems that the Lexus LF-A changed the lane over to the left, hitting the BMW 3 series (not a prototype !) which was coming from the opposite direction, frontally. Nobody knows exactly why the Lexus moved to the other lane. Driver error ? Technical problem ? An expert has been called to the scene to determine what happened. Since two people died in the accident, the local DA's office is involved. One of the BMW occupants (passenger) is in a critical condition.

105395_1_popup_Kopie_von_IMG_6764.JPG

--

Stuck throttle

--

"Form follows function"

RC: 

Since two people died in the accident, the local DA's office is involved. One of the BMW occupants (passenger) is in a critical condition.

Actually reports in the german press do not mention a deadly injured passenger in the LF-A Smiley
    http://www.rhein-zeitung.de/regionales_artikel,-BoosNuerburgring-Chef-Testingenieur-stirbt-bei-Unfall-mit-Super-Lexus-_arid,102517.html

The BMW obviously was not a prototype but a testcar: according to the police both cars were full with electronic equipment and both drivers were wearing helmets. Hopefully the heavily injured BMW passenger makes it.

At first glance judging from the pictures and the reports obviously something went wrong with the LF-A when Naruse took a left corner ending up in the opposite lane with the oncoming BMW.

Naruse-san must have known the road very well (only a hop from the Toyota testcenter away). Actually this stretch of the B410 is rather narrow and quite bumpy at some spots.

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Lexus LFA around Goodwood circuit...

Something about this is wrong. Actually scratch that - everything about this is wrong. I'm sitting in the driving seat of a £250k, 203mph supercar - one that isn't even yet in full series production - about to be released for a solo drive round Goodwood Motor Circuit. For those that don't know it, this is a track that can charitably described as having limited run-off and where, once you have run out of grass, a thin veneer of tyres is all that exists to cushion your impact with a determinedly immovable earth bank.

More confusing still is that the badge on the long, wedgy bonnet is the stylised L of Lexus, a marque more known for wafting company directors around in ostentatiously eco-conscious hybrid saloons and SUVs.

Still, there it is - however unlikely it may seem, Toyota/Lexus has gone and built a supercar. And they must be confident in its ability, because they've plonked a scruffy PH journalist in the driving seat, pointed the car at a notoriously tricky circuit and said 'go drive'. No 'please be careful with our pre-production supercar', no speed limits, no passenger to calm any over-exuberance. Brilliant.

A slightly gung-ho attitude to letting journos drive the car is actually curiously appropriate, because the LFA is a bit of a rule-breaker itself. Toyota coyly calls the LFA's development process 'unconventional', but what it means by this is that it has ripped the Toyota Motor Corporation 'how to make a new car' rulebook apart and thrown the shreds out of the window.

The LFA is a car that has taken a decade to develop. It has been planned from the outset as an engineering challenge rather than a commercial venture (itself a minor miracle in such a profit-obsessed company. It has even been switched from an aluminium monocoque to one made of carbon fibre - necessitating the creation of Toyota's own in-house carbon production processes. The Lexus LFA is, in short, the complete antithesis of the usual streamlined production ToMoCo fare.

This is something I realise within a few short moments of being released out of the Goodwood pit lane. There are some who have questioned, well, the heart of the LFA, but all it will take the doubters is about 20 seconds in the driving seat - or passenger seat - to realise that this is a fully committed, red-blooded, focused supercar.

Those few seconds are enough to flick through about three gears (the flappy-paddle transmission is only a single-clutch affair in order to help save weight) up to around 120mph, before stamping on the brakes for Madgwick, Goodwood's first corner.

The 4.8-litre V10 yowls up to its 9000rpm red line before a beep alerts you that it's time to grab another gear and you're flung down the road to the braking point for Madgwick, whereupon you hit the left of the two pedals and the carbon-ceramic brakes haul you back to an eminently sensible speed almost instantly.

So powerful are the brakes that the first time you stamp on them with enthusiasm, you'll almost certainly find yourself coming up short to the corner. Once you've adjusted to how hard and late you can brake - and therefore how much speed you can build on the preceding straight - you can begin to feel the huge grip the LFA has to offer, and how eager it is to change direction.

This is a supercar of the athletic, flyweight variety rather than a bung-a-big-engine-in-and-hope affair. The cabin emphasises this. All the controls are driver-focused, with everything important - including the chassis settings and a knob to control how vicious the gearchange is - little more than a hand-span away. You sit low, too, with the steering wheel high and close, and the high transmission tunnel and window line cocooning you.

Everything also feels beautifully put together, but not extravagant, either in weight or luxury. The indicator stalks, for example, feel spindly, but solidly engineered, as though every extraneous gram has been shaved from them, but that not one penny has been pinched in their development.

It's all very sophisticated in the way it handles, too. In the immediacy of its responses the LFA feels a little bit like a Porsche GT3 RS, but it has none of that car's rawness; it might have hyperactive dynamic responses, but the LFA's edges are smoothed off, making it a surprisingly approachable car.

That doesn't mean its limits are approachable, however. I would like to tell you exactly how the LFA feels on the very edge of opposite lock, but I'm no Stig (as you can see from the video below), we're not out to set record lap times, and the Lexus's limits are so high that at most places around Goodwood I run out of courage way before the car runs out of talent.

We're told before we get into the car that the LFA will generate up to 1.4g of lateral grip if asked, a feat I can well believe, but the best I get out of it is just over 1g at the sweeping double-apex right-hander of Lavant corner - and that feels quick enough. In fact the only place the LFA feels anything other than rock steady is in the braking zone for the right turn before St Mary's. And that is an off-camber, over-a-crest job, which the car approaches at almost 140mph, so we can probably forgive its little wiggle from the rear.

What Goodwood's fast, flowing corners and longish straights do show off beautifully, however, is the explosive mid-range pace of the LFA. The way it piles on speed between 75mph and 130mph is truly astonishing. 

The Lexus LFA might not have much in the way of sports car pedigree, but it has most certainly been thoroughly well bred. But is it worth £250k? I'm not sure, but it's kind of a moot point, because all 500 planned examples have been sold - so some people must reckon so.

The LFA is also one of those cars that should warm the cockles of any car enthusiast's heart, because it proves that even an oft-faceless corporation like Toyota has a heart and soul.

Lexus-LFA_PH-article-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

--

I cant wait for LF-A lap time...can it kick some supercars asses

Had Toyota bought out Ferrari and release the LF-A under the Ferrari brand name, it could be a great success.

As it stands right now it's only a Toyota that's about cost about 5 times too much money.

I could be wrong here, but I hear all these LFA's are nothing more than proto-types, production cars will be delivered by december 2010 ~ late 2012

--

The look is very unusual. The technology seems to be state of the art.

Lets wait and see for some supertests!

Any updates ?

--

Supertest Lexus LFA  9/2010  

NBR: 7.38
    HHR: 1.11,0
    Wet Handling: 1:35.5

0 - 300km/h: 50.6s

$375,000 ??? for what ? Smiley

--

BiTurbo:

Supertest Lexus LFA  9/2010  

NBR: 7.38
    HHR: 1.11,0
    Wet Handling: 1:35.5

0 - 300km/h: 50.6s

$375,000 ??? for what ? Smiley

I fully agree, the LFA is a joke for 375000. Toyota must be completely nuts.

For this kind of money, one could at least expect a decent 0-100/0-200/0-300 kph performance.

Maybe there is somebody dumb enough to pay that kind of money for this car but similar to the Carrera Classic, I have to say: not worth it. No matter how much money one has.

--

I was looking at numbers from a car mag at the doctor's office the other day, the LF-A can't even match the performance of a Ferrari 458. Useless piece of Japanese junk.

Really disappointing result indeed...i was expecting under 7:30.  What happend

I read on some site that his purpose build tires are still under development.     Maybe they will fix what is wrong with it before entering in production,i hope.

I still like it....a lot!  If i was a petrolhead, i would have a space for him in my collection.

Whoopsy:

I was looking at numbers from a car mag at the doctor's office the other day, the LF-A can't even match the performance of a Ferrari 458. Useless piece of Japanese junk.

Match the amazing 458? Smiley That was a good joke! The LFA is as fast as a 6 year old F430...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Oh come on, that mag only had numbers for the Lexus barge and the 458.

But the numbers don't tell the whole story, ask Tiff Needell for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3PBD1aXD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGL_pG6v9jA

I seem to recalled Tiff got excited about a Clio, Civc, even the Fiat 500, so does that mean those are also better than a 458 or the LF-A if the numbers don't tell the whole story?

For the price Toyota is charging for the LF-A and how they market the car, it's a complete failure when the LF-A's numbers can't even match the 430, let alone 458.

gangajas:

But the numbers don't tell the whole story, ask Tiff Needell for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3PBD1aXD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGL_pG6v9jA

All I see is a wayward, ill handling car that can't put its power down and is all over the place... 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Whoopsy:

I seem to recalled Tiff got excited about a Clio, Civc, even the Fiat 500, so does that mean those are also better than a 458 or the LF-A if the numbers don't tell the whole story?

For the price Toyota is charging for the LF-A and how they market the car, it's a complete failure when the LF-A's numbers can't even match the 430, let alone 458.

He says the car's worth every penny of its price, but what does he know.....

Instead of testing the car on a track he should have read a few mags so that he'd have realized that the car he liked so much after driving it, it's actually nothing more than a "useless piece of Japanese junk".

gangajas:

He says the car's worth every penny of its price, but what does he know.....

Not sure if we have watched the same clip, in the one above he referred to the car as being overpriced but a joy to drive. I haven´t read the SA article yet but I could imagine that its relatively poor Nürburgring performance is due to the demanding handling at the limit.

Having said that  I would love to find out more about the cars qualities as its performance does not seem to correlate with the quite decent driving character.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764120 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436388 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260985 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257913 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82612 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808785 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM