Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Alonso and Massa

Read this.

Massa has began the mind games already with his new team "mate".

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79435

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Re: Alonso and Massa

I think both Massa and Alonso like to play mindgames. While Massa has been in Brazil recuperating from his very serious accident recently, he was still briefing the world's press about how he thought Jenson Button was cracking under pressure. Commentators can say such things but I thought this was a bit unseemly coming from a fellow competitor.

Alonso's history of uncomfortable relationships with his past team-mates is well-known.

It should be a match made in heaven  Let's watch the fireworks at Ferrari next season 

The crucial issue is that Ferrari did operate on a team leader and supporting driver basis (with Schumi and Barrichello) but doesn't appear to have done so with Massa and Raikkonen. I can only assume that Ferrari will operate on this basis with Massa and Alonso - otherwise it will be a pitched battle between the 'insider' and the 2-time World Champion. Smiley

But the fact that Alonso has a 3 year deal (and Ferrari got rid of a World Champion like Kimi to make that happen) and that Massa's deal lasts till the end of 2010 tells you who Ferrari are looking towards winning another Driver's title. Alonso won't mind if he is not officially no 1 provided that he is de facto no 1 in practice. Smiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Come to think of it, they both have had accomplished mentors in that department.

Todt and Schumacher for Massa, Flavio for Alonso

--

" Alonso's history of uncomfortable relationships with his past team-mates is well-known. "

Uhm I think he had not problems with his teammates. He has told it many times. Only he had problems with team Mclaren and his boss Ron Dennis

I think massa is worried because he knows it wont be able to win a f1 title in Ferrari.

Alonso is far superior to Massa.

easy_rider911:

Alonso's history of uncomfortable relationships with his past team-mates is well-known.

Yes, another evidence of that can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYq4TUCtNfo

By the way, what's the new insulting nickname they have for him in Britain, "Teflonso" or something like that? I guess he must be close to "The Teflon Don" in term of evilness...Smiley

Yeah... Alonso is a real jerk!   Smiley

You guys know very well that my opinion of Alonso is that, purely as a driver, I think he is one of the best and most complete drivers in F1 today. However, on a personal level, I think he has many bad characteristics.

I am no loyal fan of Lewis Hamilton nor of McLaren. I think I am neutral and unbiased.

Perhaps some of Alonso's Spanish fans need to ask themselves how neutral and unbiased they are when judging Alonso and his competitors. In my view, Alonso's loyal Spanish fans often have a point of view that I cannot agree with. I suspect it is because different parts of the F1 fan world read different types of media reporting.

As for the 'teflonso' nickname that Martin Brundle has coined for Alonso. It is because, despite being in the middle of various scandals (e.g. espionage at McLaren, the fixed race at Singapore etc) none of the mud sticks to him.

I would not defend usage of this nickname on TV. Although I think there is a basis for thinking it, it is IMO deeply unprofessional for Martin Brundle to use an insulting nickname about Alonso on live TV. Personally, I think Martin Brundle should apologise. It should be his private thought only - not something he shares with millions of TV viewers around the world.

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

I would not defend usage of this nickname on TV. Although I think there is a basis for thinking it, it is IMO deeply unprofessional for Martin Brundle to use an insulting nickname about Alonso on live TV. Personally, I think Martin Brundle should apologise. It should be his private thought only - not something he shares with millions of TV viewers around the world.

I am not a fan of Alonso but Brundle is not entitled to such "sour grapes" comments. He was in F1 with minimal success so someone might suspect that he is envious of Alonso's two titles and 21 wins. Only Lauda could say things like that and even him wouldn't look so good.

Their comparative record:

Brundle

Races 165 (158 starts)
    Championships 0
    Wins 0
    Podiums 9
    Career points 98
    Pole positions 0
    Fastest laps 0

Alonso

Races 138 (137 starts)
    Championships 2 (2005, 2006)
    Wins 21
    Podiums 53
    Career points 577
    Pole positions 18
    Fastest laps 13

--

And the mindgames begin...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8309874.stm

--

In the late eighties / early nineties, we would mockingy call him "What happened there, Martin" Brundle, because, after his inveitable retirement, Louise Goodman would somehow find him, and mostly ask him, What Happened There, Martin?!!

But as a commentator, I think he's brilliant!

--

I really admire both Alonso and Massa, but I will begrudginly admit that I think Alonso is the better driver.

That's a little difficult for me to admit since I was (and am) a big fan of Schumi. After all, if it weren't for Alonso there might have been more than 7 world titles for Michael. Massa is also clearly his protege.

However, I don't buy any of the negativity some attribute to Alonso. Team scandals have never stuck to him because he was not causing the scandal. His behavior has been extremely controlled considering what some of the teams have put him through.

I am looking forward to seeing him drive for Ferrari!   

I agree with your comments. By the way, good to see you back, Gladstone!

Like I've said in many other F1 threads, I am number one Alonso fan !!, I simply love him , he might be a difficult pilot to handle in terms of relation with his team-mate etc...whatever you want.....

BUT, this accusations from Massa, when the Scuderia has VERY recently made public the Alonso-ferrari deal, is just plain stupid, bad for the image of his second familiy (as he quotes , which is ferrari), and bad for him, as his relationship with Alonso is going to be quite particular to say the least.....I am sure Alonso will handle all this perfectly, as he is more mature than years back, and knows how to treat this situations, so he will concentrate in what he does best, doing a winner car, and winning as many races as he can in 2010..............but Massa's accusations are just out of the line, and for no reason at all, I would understand what he said, if Alonso's deal with ferrari didn't take place, but as it isnt..........its just a fact of throwing stones to your own roof, and most important for free.

I have to say I am quite sad regarding Massa, he is going to be far far behind from Alonso next year, will see what happens. I would have prefered Kimi-Alonso combo !!!

--

Alex18_996CC:

I have to say I am quite sad regarding Massa, he is going to be far far behind from Alonso next year, will see what happens. I would have prefered Kimi-Alonso combo !!!

+1

I also think Alonso is in a different class!  He would have put even Kimi to shame

--

Arshad:
    ..... He would have put even Kimi to shame

I agree - but it all depends on how quickly Alonso can get used to the car and how quickly he settles into the team.

Once that happens, Massa is toast Smiley

--

Once that happens, Massa is toast Smiley

My feelings exactly! 

I don't think Massa is going to be far behind Alonso at all. The Brazilian is a very good qualifier and has showed to be quite strong when he start races from the lead.

gangajas:

.... The Brazilian is a very good qualifier and .... quite strong when he start races from the lead.

Agreed Smiley

But that also shows how two dimensional Massa is. He is not as strong at fighting his way past other cars during the race if he starts from a low grid position. He is also not good in the rain. Alonso can do all of these things and more. If Ferrari can provide Alonso with a good car in 2010, only Vettel and Hamilton will be able to put up a decent fight IMO. AFAIK, Raikkonen, Kubica, Button and Rosberg will not be in the more competitive cars in 2010.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Another of Massa's strengths that I forgot to mention is the fact that Nicolas Todt is his manager....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM