Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Need Cab owners' help

My cab is less than a week away from being built, but I look at Steve R's photo's + others of their coupes and just love the shape of the car. The angst is that I don't think the Cab looks anything like as beautiful.

Cab owners, I need your moral and aesthetic support!

Can you help me get over my angst?

MTIA

Re: Need Cab owners' help

It was tough deciding between Cab & Coupe. Would have got PCCB if not for Cab cost. Anyway... I actually prefer the look of the Cab if it's the right color combo with either Sport Designs or XRR's. (although the classics look great on Don Weiser's cab - I'm sure you've seen his pics) Strange because I love that Coupe shape. I'm so glad I got the Cab. Coupe looks 1/2 point better if the Cab top is up but if the top is down... WOW. There's nothing that looks better. Only drawback is the slight blind spot that's not there in the coupe.

If you don't get the Cab, you may not be sorry. But, if you do get the cab, you'll absolutely love it. IMO of course.

Been going through this angst nearly weekly! But,--tough it out! Porsche has been about to build the most beautiful convertible EVER in the 997. Hang tough!

dan

My Cab arrived Nov. 12th. It's been a warm Winter here in NC and I've had the top down many more afternoons that up.
    This isn't Chicago though. I too went back & forth between coupe or cab when ordering but now that I have the cab, I'd get it again over the coupe even though, in my opinion, the coupe has nicer lines.

I never thought of buying a coupe when ordering my cab. There is nothing like driving on country roads with the top down . It's a feeling of freedom!! I don't care if the cab looks bettter than the coupe or visa versa. It's all about that smile on my face as I put my 997s through it's paces with the top down. You will never regret buying a cab! Quit worring and enjoy the wait.

hahaha.... what a dilemma huh? when i ordered my car last year i went back and forth pretty much on a weekly basis. fwiw, i have no regrets now (although it should be noted i'm a young guy that lives in LA)

bottom line is, a cab is more extroverted, more fun, assuming you take advantage of the drop top. i agree with everyone else - a coupe is so clean-looking, can't beat the looks. but unless you plan to track the car, there will be almost no difference in performance to the average street driver.

if you value some laid-back fun in addition to hauling a@#, then the cab offers a great combo.

I have to admit that the HIPS look so much better on the coupe. I keep trying to catch up to other 997s to see if they are 4 or 4s to be surprised that they are "only" 2s. My 2s Cab just doesnt look as wide to me...

HOWEVER. Nothing compares to having the top down. Seeing the stars above you. Sound of PSE...

Oh and GIRLS will take driving with the top down over the aesthetic differences + chasis rigidity issues anyday.

(Cab + a GT3 in the garage...now thats the perfect balance)

They're equally gorgeous! The versatility of the Cab made my decision very easy! Porsche makes the best looking Cabs!

With the top up, Coupe maybe has the edge in looks, but with the top down there is no comparison. Cab is the hands-down winner. When you are riding around with the top down and the wind smacking you in the face you will understand why the Cab is the right choice. For us Cab owners that get to ride with the top down year round, the choice was really easy.

Le Chef, The cab guys will talk good about cab and vs. versa. It all depends on your personality. If you don't like driving top down and everyone stirring at you, then get the coupe. If you decide to go with the cab, get the hardtop for winter and you will almost have the coupe. There is absolutely nothing like driving top down on a hot summer night

Quote:
    khansdad said:
    I have to admit that the HIPS look so much better on the coupe.

My 2s Cab just doesnt look as wide to me...

Really? What wheels do you have? Spacers?

Cab looks ten times as good as the coupe from the back. looks much wider. mine is silver with black top. top looks really snug and tight.

however with open top the 911 always looked a bit awkward.

go for cab, but beware its not that stiff. having clocked over 7k kilometers on my car it developed quite a few squeaks and rattles. especially the doors work against the chassis and really make funny noises. porsche needs to work on this issue.

then again, nothing beats the sound of the engine when top is down.

ordered a 997 tt. will not go for cab again because of the stiffness issue.

Seems to me that it's not just an appearance thing but also a climate thing.

Most of the pro-cab guys here are located in areas where they can have the top down virtually all year round.

In climates such as UK and in some areas of US and Europe there limited times when a cab can be fully exploited. That's when the appearance thing takes precedent if you do decide on a cab.

My last car was a cab but I changed to a coupe this time purely on climate grounds. I now find that a coupe, with sunroof, is a good compromise. But IMO it does depend a lot on where you live.

I just need beauty shots

When you see Steve R's excellent shots of his loaner C2 Coupe in Scotland you are reminded how beautiful the Coupe is.

Maybe all I need are a few great beauty shots of Cabs as a reminder of what's to come.

MTIA!

Quote:
    John H said:

Most of the pro-cab guys here are located in areas where they can have the top down virtually all year round.

In climates such as UK and in some areas of US and Europe there limited times when a cab can be fully exploited. That's when the appearance thing takes precedent if you do decide on a cab.

Interesting aspect: appearance vs. climate as decisive factors

Even in Germany with a climate comparable to the UK (at least North and West part of Germany) the cab share amongst 911 is quite high (some 50%). Funny thing is that Hamburg (not really known for a consistent cab suitable climate) has the highest cab density in Germany. Maybe it even adds to the pleasure if you're not able to drive with the top down all year around (like some people would say that having the finest steaks and finest champagne everyday might get boring soon )

Quote:
    John H said:
    My last car was a cab but I changed to a coupe this time purely on climate grounds. I now find that a coupe, with sunroof, is a good compromise. But IMO it does depend a lot on where you live.

That's why I'm a Targa guy.

While I do enjoy long summers where I live, I also get 4 months of frequent and heavy rain, which makes a cab less enjoyable.
    And yet, there seems to be many more cabs in the UK than in France, despite the rainier wheather.

By the way, am I the only one who finds the 997 cab looks like the humpback of Notre Dame with the top closed? Which is odd, since the 996 didn't look that way.

vs

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    John H said:

Interesting aspect: appearance vs. climate as decisive factors

Even in Germany with a climate comparable to the UK (at least North and West part of Germany) the cab share amongst 911 is quite high (some 50%). Funny thing is that Hamburg (not really known for a consistent cab suitable climate) has the highest cab density in Germany. Maybe it even adds to the pleasure if you're not able to drive with the top down all year around (like some people would say that having the finest steaks and finest champagne everyday might get boring soon )

I have lived 7 months in Munich and to me there were a little bit more 997s Cabs than Coupes.

Cabbing it anyway

Saw a beautiful silver cab on my way to work (actually 996 Cab) and the guy had the roof down with windblocker and windows up. It's about 35 degrees F in Chicago today. How can you NOT be encouraged by that sight?

Re: Cabbing it anyway

Funny you say that, because around noon on the Kennedy I saw a Speed Yellow 997 cab go by, also top down. We formed a 110 mph pack with another Seal Grey 997 coupe. Cool.

Don't worry about the looks; it looks great. It's the other things I'd worry about, like the multiple squeaks, roof leaks, second gear clutch grind, slow clock, circular imprints on both sides of the roof, electronic seat problems and other minor annoyances. All of these, of course, can't be fixed.

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    Cab looks ten times as good as the coupe from the back.

11 x as good!

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    however with open top the 911 always looked a bit awkward.

That's when it looks best!

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    go for cab, but beware its not that stiff. having clocked over 7k kilometers on my car it developed quite a few squeaks and rattles. especially the doors work against the chassis and really make funny noises. porsche needs to work on this issue.

over 10,000 miles and not one rattle or squeak on mine.

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    then again, nothing beats the sound of the engine when top is down.

Get the cab!

Yes!!!!!!

GA997S, that's a cool looking garage floor!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Yes!!!!!!

GA997S, that's a cool looking garage floor!

thanks... I'll take more pics when I finish the wainscot.

CABRIOLET!

cab pic

1more

another

cab with hard top

All Fixed

I've had squeaks and rattles on my coupe + 2nd to 1st shift baulking + a sunroof that sounds like a loose snare drum. It's just maturity - the car will get better.

Re: All Fixed

Maybe these will help?
    Seal Grey, rear-end with hips.

Re: All Fixed

And one mo'.
    1,650 miles, not a squeak or a rattle, tight as a drum.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752787 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430444 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258455 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255388 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868047 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801641 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM