Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Maserati GanCabrio

Btw, is it just me or does the car look like a small boat with its large opening in the body structure and sharp nose?

ISUK:
    reginos:

In summary you pay a lot  of money to be seen cruising in these cars and to show-off outside cafes without the corresponding dynamics.

I think it's time BMW came up with a better looking version of their 6-series cabrio since there is market  for heavy convertible 2+2 poseur cars.

You seem to have a problem if anyone wants a car for anything other than outright handling. The Maserati is one of the best looking cars on the road IMHO and aimed at people with good taste as opposed to poseurs I'd suggest.

For many buyers the car isn't really regarded as that expensive compared to other alternatives - Bentley CGT, Aston DB9 etc. It's made in sufficiently low numbers to justify some exclusivity and you aren't going to pull up in a car park full of Maseratis unlike the 6 series where you are just in another BMW amongst the hoardes of 1 series, 3 series, 5s, 7s, X3, X5 etc etc.

They say that beauty is the eye of the beholder and for me at least the looks of this car (as well as the coupe version) don't do anything. The GranCabro/GranTurismo pair are physically too large for the  "sports coupe/cabrio" class and hence they don't look svelte, toned and athletic. Rather soft and effeminate and a bit of mishmash trying to decide what kind of car it is.

Of course for others they are seen as gorgeous.

Yes, I look at handling first but also at honest cars that don't pretend to be something else and don't raise driving expectations. A Bentley Continental GTCabrio for example is a luxurious convertible cruiser without sporty handling pretensions and I respect it for that.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

WAY:

Btw, is it just me or does the car look like a small boat with its large opening in the body structure and sharp nose?

If you turn it upside down, then yes Smiley

The A4 convertible is another 4 seater convertible on the market it is as heavy and is probably equally comfortable to drive (comfortable as in not sporty) 

But please, someone post a price estimate here.

At least € 140K in Germany with Mwst...

Don't know the price tag,but looks really good.

till today i never think that a Maserati can look so good..

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

KresoF1:

At least € 140K in Germany with Mwst...

Which would be about two Audi RS4 convertible... Smiley Have to work harder now...

reginos:

Yes, I look at handling first but also at honest cars that don't pretend to be something else and don't raise driving expectations. A Bentley Continental GTCabrio for example is a luxurious convertible cruiser without sporty handling pretensions and I respect it for that.

So what would you classify a Bentley Continental GTC Speed as if not a luxurious convertible cruiser with sporty handling pretensions?

I don't think you'll find Maserati marketing this car as anything other than a grand tourer in the pure sense of the term.

Have you driven a GranTurismo or GranTurismo S for any prolonged length of time or are your observations based upon internet reports? Just curious as I've yet to meet anyone who's driven an S and not got out of it grinning like a school kid and saying that it has great handling for such a large car.

The GranTurismo did everything I wanted it to. It was a supremely comfortable long distance car and it drew admiring comments wherever I took it as it was understated and elegant. I never expected it to be a sports car but it was more than able to aquit itself well when driven hard on challenging roads. For me it had bags more character than any 911 I've owned and made each journey feel special. I only sold it as I decided I'd get more use from a California due to it's folding roof.

You also need to realise most mordern cars are intrinsically good in terms of performance and handling. Some are better than others but some people will trade off not having the best performer for something else.

Examples: AMV8 vs 911

Maserati vs Panamera

430 vs GT3

R8 vs 911

I really like that car, both in hard top and now as a cab. I will be considering this car when I get rid of my C2S.

ISUK:
    reginos:

So what would you classify a Bentley Continental GTC Speed as if not a luxurious convertible cruiser with sporty handling pretensions?

I don't think you'll find Maserati marketing this car as anything other than a grand tourer in the pure sense of the term.

Have you driven a GranTurismo or GranTurismo S for any prolonged length of time or are your observations based upon internet reports? Just curious as I've yet to meet anyone who's driven an S and not got out of it grinning like a school kid and saying that it has great handling for such a large car.

The GranTurismo did everything I wanted it to. It was a supremely comfortable long distance car and it drew admiring comments wherever I took it as it was understated and elegant. I never expected it to be a sports car but it was more than able to aquit itself well when driven hard on challenging roads. For me it had bags more character than any 911 I've owned and made each journey feel special. I only sold it as I decided I'd get more use from a California due to it's folding roof.

The Bentley is an opulent luxurious lifestyle cabrio, partly hand-made with british tradition and charm. It can surely eat up miles fast but no one buys it for its 0-200 time or its laptimes. OTOH the Maserati name alludes to sportiness, racing heritage, Modena supercars etc butl the current offerings of the marque are anything but the above.

I "attempted" to drive a GranTurismo on a cross country route (not the best road) and the car was very "loose fitting" for my taste. On the contrary I wear my 911 like a glove and it becomes one with me on every journey. On the same route the Cayman was great too and the R8 V8 excellent and easier to drive fast than the 911.

There is nothing totally right or fundamentally wrong in the cars we discuss here and we only express opinions. Similarly I respect your tastes and preferences.

I am attracted to the California too, because of its smaller size, its DCT and because of the allure of the Cavallino. BTW you know that the basis of the California was originally developed for a new convertible Maserati. In the end Ferrari wisely picked up the better foundation of a car and made Maserati cut the roof off the GranTurismo in order to put a convertible in the market. This says something?

--

Gorgeous car, blends elegance & sportyness beautifully

Aston and Maserati make the best looking sportcars in the market IMO.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Gorgeous car, blends elegance & sportyness beautifully

Aston and Maserati make the best looking sportcars in the market IMO.

Funny you mention that... I agree, but did you notice the roof line on the Cab pictures Kreso posted? From that angle with the top up, there seem to be similarities between the the AM and the Maser.

reginos:

The Bentley is an opulent luxurious lifestyle cabrio, partly hand-made with british tradition and charm. It can surely eat up miles fast but no one buys it for its 0-200 time or its laptimes. OTOH the Maserati name alludes to sportiness, racing heritage, Modena supercars etc butl the current offerings of the marque are anything but the above.

I "attempted" to drive a GranTurismo on a cross country route (not the best road) and the car was very "loose fitting" for my taste. On the contrary I wear my 911 like a glove and it becomes one with me on every journey. On the same route the Cayman was great too and the R8 V8 excellent and easier to drive fast than the 911.

There is nothing totally right or fundamentally wrong in the cars we discuss here and we only express opinions. Similarly I respect your tastes and preferences.

I am attracted to the California too, because of its smaller size, its DCT and because of the allure of the Cavallino. BTW you know that the basis of the California was originally developed for a new convertible Maserati. In the end Ferrari wisely picked up the better foundation of a car and made Maserati cut the roof off the GranTurismo in order to put a convertible in the market. This says something?

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this reginos. From what you describe you judge a car by it's sporting credentials which seem to be based upon it's ability to be pushed hard across country roads. Cars like the GranTurismo are not designed for this so will never fit your criteria. A 997 is considerable smaller and lighter than a GranTurismo so if it didn't win  such a contest there would be something seriously amiss.

It's been a long time since Maserati would lay claim to having produced a supercar (MC12 excluded). The last exotics they built were the Bora and Merak and they were hardly class leaders having only 6 cylinder engines and suffering poor build quality during the dark days of turbulent ownership of the company. You seem to suggest by inference from your Bentley reference that people who buy Maserati's do so for lap times. If you check out sites like Maseratilife I think you'll find you couldn't be more wrong. They buy them for their exclusivity, styling, GT performance and the "less in your face" brand image/heritage than Ferrari.

The California is also not an overtly sporting car as it has been set up as a more comfortable GT car. It's handling doesn't begin to compare to a mid engined 430 spider which feels like a go cart in comparison it has to be said. I'm quite sure that if you judged the California by your normal criteria you would find it unsuitable as well. It is no lightweight and  has very soft suspension. Ferrari took over the car when Fiat Spa decided to place Maserati back under Fiat Auto's control alongside Alfa Romeo. It says more to me about Ferrari's realisation that it needed a fourth, competitively priced, less hard core model line to remain profitable than it does about Maserati making a drop top GranTurismo. Had Maserati kept the California platform I think we'd still have seen the GranCabrio, much in the same way that Aston have the V8 Vantage and the DB9 Volante. It would have been too tempting for Modena to have ignored the additional sales volume a soft top will bring to the GranTurismoseries. I suspect he smaller CC Maserati would have been a more focused "sports" car and perhaps been developed to be a bit more hardcore than the California which has a different marketing priority for Ferrari.

Interesting to debate all the same Smiley

man, that is a sweet! Top-down looks even better than the coupe imo. Looks like FUN!

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle,  93 Harley Davidson Nostalgia

That's a very nice design. 

that car looks great, of course the handling and performance wont rival the california but i think in many ways it will be more succesfull in the specific market they both target. Its certainly prettier and will be more comfortable, at least those backseats look usable, the ones on the california as good as not having them.

On second though don't you guys think instead of camparing it to the Cali we should compare it to the DB9 Volante??  what do you think? 

Doesn't see the appeal. if you're going to get a cab make it proper 2 seater... those rear seats will be wasted. Also the name? Grancabrio? Really? Im not a fan.

--

1980 Mercedes-Benz 240d 2.4L Diesel 74 hp Olive Green on Tan or Black on red (looking to buy) 
    1986 BMW 325e 5spd 2.7L 121 hp (172 lb·ft) Le Mans Blau on Tan leather.
    1986 BMW 325is 5spd 2.5L 168 hp (164 lb-ft) White on Tan leather (parted out) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Atzporsche:

if you're going to get a cab make it proper 2 seater... those rear seats will be wasted.  Im not a fan.

Some of us get great pleasure sharing our drives with our children , others with their mistresses !

Good that we have choices , ehh? Smiley

MKW:
    Atzporsche:

if you're going to get a cab make it proper 2 seater... those rear seats will be wasted.  Im not a fan.

Some of us get great pleasure sharing our drives with our children , others with their mistresses !

ya but who would put their mistress in the back when there's a passenger seat Smiley

Im not a fan, cali looks way better as a cabrio IMHO.

--

1980 Mercedes-Benz 240d 2.4L Diesel 74 hp Olive Green on Tan or Black on red (looking to buy) 
    1986 BMW 325e 5spd 2.7L 121 hp (172 lb·ft) Le Mans Blau on Tan leather.
    1986 BMW 325is 5spd 2.5L 168 hp (164 lb-ft) White on Tan leather (parted out) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Thanks ISUK for sharing your views! I may not agree with them 100% but they are always well-researched.

--

Atzporsche:
    MKW:
    Atzporsche:

ya but who would put their mistress in the back when there's a passenger seat Smiley

He said "mistresses" and not "mistress" Smiley

It looks very good, even better then the coupé,  but that's where it stops.  The weight is just unreal and it is a big GT, not a sportscar

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

It looks very good, even better then the coupé,  but that's where it stops.  The weight is just unreal and it is a big GT, not a sportscar

Actually, although I am not saying that the GT doesn't look good, it is one of the rare cars that look  better in pictures than in reality. In real life I find it very huge (including its big mouth) in a way that doesn't suit its sports coupe styling. Due to its sheer size the grace of the basic design is almost lost.

It would have been great if the same shape was reduced proportionately to some 95% and the weight to 90%.

BTW there was a comparison in the Auto Bild with the humble Audi S5 and they concluded that although the Audi is the better car the Maserati is an emotional purchase. I was astonished by the GT's terrible fuel consumption (+50% on Audi) and its very high CO2!

--

Re: New Maserati GranCabrio

WAY:

actually looks like a big boat Smiley

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Re: New Maserati GranCabrio

Eunice:
    Atzporsche:
    MKW:
    Atzporsche:

He said "mistresses" and not "mistress" Smiley

Smiley 

--

fritz

MKW:
    Atzporsche:

Ditto on the kids part! 

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle,  93 Harley Davidson Nostalgia

maserati is trend setter.....first with quattroporte,,,just think that everybody now makes such typlogie porsche ( ok the panamera is not comparable..to ugly) aston rapide..etc...

the market did not have a gt cabrio with 4 seats...with nowadys traffic and speed limits this gonna be an extremly interesting slice of market..and soon we will see all the others making a 4 seats cabrio.....

this is an extremly good looking car and fantastci gt..NOT a sports car.....there you have the california...the marketing strategy is simply perfect within ferrari and maserati.....I will go for the maserati all life long....

--
    993 c2

xander71:

the market did not have a gt cabrio with 4 seats...with nowadys traffic and speed limits this gonna be an extremly interesting slice of market..and soon we will see all the others making a 4 seats cabrio.....

Maserati trend setters?

Mercedes have always had 4 seat cabrios since I can remember. There will also be a cabrio version of the new E class coupe soon.

The Bentley Continental GTC is also an excellent example of cabrio for 4 persons.

There might even be a 4 door cabrio soon from Mercedes,if the market asks for it.

mercedes_ocean_drive_concept_big_04.jpg

--

IMHO although that Merc isn't hideous, it certainly isn't attractive either.

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802665 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448385 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265927 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89928 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6406 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885353 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832190 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM