Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Got caught speeding (uk)

Got caught speeding on the M1 by traffic police at 1am last night. They clocked me over 2 1/2 miles between 2 bridges at an average speed of 114 MPH I can't believe it as the police were so far behind me! They took my details and said I would hear from the courts within 6 months.
    Any advise would be helpful.

Re: Got caught speeding (uk)

I don't have any advice at this point...I am curious though. Were the police using something other than radar to measure your speed between these two bridges? Were you using a radar detector? If so, please describe what happened, brand of detector, etc. Good luck with your court date.

I was using a radar detector (Road angel) but they got me by filming me with a camera attached to their car. As we know Speed = Distance / Time so they measured me between 2 fixed points. My concern is that they were too far away to see when I passed the bridges.

I've not heard of filming and timing distance betw two points used here in the States, yet. Thus, I would be very skeptical about their process and tools to accurately measure the same car over 2.5 miles - sounds like a sting operation. Is this a regular route for you?

Oh dear Boxsterboy! Looks like you won't be using your 997S for a month or so! Over 100 mph = a ban!! Bad luck - but if you'd been watching your speedo rather than the police car (that was so far behind you) then perhaps you'd have been driving at a more sensible speed.

Quote:
    Delbox said:
    Oh dear Boxsterboy! Looks like you won't be using your 997S for a month or so! Over 100 mph = a ban!! Bad luck - but if you'd been watching your speedo rather than the police car (that was so far behind you) then perhaps you'd have been driving at a more sensible speed.

I knew how fast I was going I was in a hurry! I asked for advise not a lecture about how speed kills etc...

You need to get yourself a decent lawyer to represent you to make this as small a problem for you as possible. Otherwise, you could be looking at a lengthy ban (say 12-18 months) with having to retake your driving test etc from scratch. In fact, you'll probably have an extended test of 50 minutes. Insurance in the future may also be v expensive because of the driving ban and motoring conviction which you will have to declare when getting your quotation.

If you need a driving licence because of your job, you need a lawyer to make that case for you in mitigation when they get to sentencing.

Some more ideas: you could argue that you had to go to an emergency but you'll need to prove the emergency. e.g. David Beckham didn't lose his licence because he said he was speeding because he had bad diarrhoea so he was rushing home to go to the toilet. The court actually accepted this! The problem is that you probably won't have mentioned the nature of the emergency when the police stopped you.

Man, that's terrible. A real pain. Good luck. Hope it works out lightly for you.

boxterboy,have you any other points?. if not an early guilty plea ,should get you 5 points and a fine Pounds250? .good luck.

The system they caught you with was probably VASCAR.

Basically it works like this:
    A timer is started as you pass a given point, i.e. the first bridge (or those painted white squares you see on the roads),
    As the Police pass the same point a distance recorder is started.
    Timer is stopped as you pass a second given point.
    Recorder is stopped as the Police pass the same point.

As you said, it's easy to calculate the average speed from this!

I suppose none of this really helps you though!
    Good luck!

The problem is that for many magistrates courts in the UK, 100mph is like a real watershed. They are more lenient in the 80s. Less so in the 90s and they can be really tough above 100mph.

I wasn't trying to give you a lecture on speeding - but it's a bit late now to complain because you got caught. Also, declaring on here that you were in a hurry is hardly going to help your cause; you took the gamble and lost!

I suggest that your best bet is either to accept the punishment or try www.freemankeepondriving.com . Nick Freeman is the lawyer who exploits weaknesses in the law to get motoring offences dismissed for celebrities.

Also try www.pepipoo.com for advice.

You see, I can help - but I don't condone!

Research fighting it. See if you can contest the validity of the equipment. Do the cops have to be certified to use it? Ask for proof. Has the equipment been calibrated as recently as it should etc.? Good luck with it.

The Association of British Drivers are petitioning to get the motorway limit up to 80mph: http://www.abd.org.uk/index.htm

Not much help for you now, but there are some good arguments on here.

Bet you're sorry you asked now ?!!!!!

Agree with other comments - get a decent barrister and make a case about car being critical for employment, you apologise for a stupid act, etc - you will still incurr some hefty points and a fine - or a ban and a fine (sometimes no points)

First of all, When you go to the court tell them that you were running because it was an ambulance behind you and you had to speed up in order to pass the gu on your right and let way to the ambulance to pass.... (I have said that to the court and they said that i wasnt guilty.)

Something more, here in Greece (EUROPE) and police is starting to placing cameras with speed radars on them...
    Which do you believe is the best Antiradar system??!
    but i want to place it in the front spoiler. NOT on the front Glass...
    Someone told me to buy a brand name called Quintezz, but i have no idea from antiradars...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Some more ideas: you could argue that you had to go to an emergency but you'll need to prove the emergency. e.g. David Beckham didn't lose his licence because he said he was speeding because he had bad diarrhoea

Actually thats a very fitting post because ,,,

1 ,, Beckham can sure dribble ,,

and ,

2 ,, Unfortunately for boxsterboy "" sh*t has hit the fan "" ..

No really , Beck's get out would not be a satisfactory one for the normal citizen .

If anything going to go for you it would be the time of the incident ,, 1am , which I assume that the M1 was fairly empty ? . I would just say ""I did not relise my speed , sorry "" ..

What else is there ?? ..

All the very best of luck bud...

throt..

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    You need to get yourself a decent lawyer to represent you to make this as small a problem for you as possible. Otherwise, you could be looking at a lengthy ban (say 12-18 months) with having to retake your driving test etc from scratch. In fact, you'll probably have an extended test of 50 minutes. Insurance in the future may also be v expensive because of the driving ban and motoring conviction which you will have to declare when getting your quotation.

If you need a driving licence because of your job, you need a lawyer to make that case for you in mitigation when they get to sentencing.

Some more ideas: you could argue that you had to go to an emergency but you'll need to prove the emergency. e.g. David Beckham didn't lose his licence because he said he was speeding because he had bad diarrhoea so he was rushing home to go to the toilet. The court actually accepted this! The problem is that you probably won't have mentioned the nature of the emergency when the police stopped you.

Man, that's terrible. A real pain. Good luck. Hope it works out lightly for you.

Geez! Scare the sh!t out of him, why don't ya! I got caught in the UK doing 118 on an A road (not even a motorway)....Got a lawyer, got an employer letter, saying out of character & road use was vital part of my livelihood. 1 month ban. Had very little effect on my insurance don't sweat it.....You weren't drink driving, so you aren't looking at the grim reaper scenario quoted above. Get a lawyer though, it's money well spent....Hell I postoned the court date a couple of times, so that the ban coincided with an oversees vacation. Just remember to have someone drive you to court....cos' you ain't going to be driving back

I got caught speeding last week. Sadly i was doubling the speedlimit in a 60km/hr zone. The police officer told me that i was facing a $480CAD fine, I'd loose my license, and I would be charged criminally for dangerous driving. He went back, ran my name and insurance, came back and told me to have a good day!!! I hope your experience will come out like mine.

Quote:
    jfraser said:
    Just remember to have someone drive you to court....cos' you ain't going to be driving back

Jeez , give the due a break guys ..

throt..

Regarding the points....if you get banned, they reset to zero after you've paid the pennance (because you've been banned!!) instead you get a line on the endorsements section with a code and how many days you were banned for.....At least that's how it was with the old style license....

Quote:
    997 Carrera said:
    I've not heard of filming and timing distance betw two points used here in the States, yet.

They've been timing in the States for years. I was timed by a plane back in 1986, and remember being puzzled as to why my radar detector never went off. Simple time/speed/distance calculation, radio down to a patrol car, and you're done.

I caught doing 60 in a 30 by a hand held. I got 6 points and 250 quid fine.

Quote:
    robl997 said:

They caught me with a ""hair dryer"" ,, and looked what happened ..

throt..

Quote:
    schmuy said:
    I got caught speeding last week. Sadly i was doubling the speedlimit in a 60km/hr zone. The police officer told me that i was facing a $480CAD fine, I'd loose my license, and I would be charged criminally for dangerous driving. He went back, ran my name and insurance, came back and told me to have a good day!!! I hope your experience will come out like mine.

Who are you? Why did he let you go?

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    robl997 said:

They caught me with a ""hair dryer"" ,, and looked what happened ..

throt..

Yes throt that truly is an offence. How long do you have to wear your hair like that!!! At least i got off lightly, hey!

Boxster boy, don't worry too much. I am sure a decent lawyer and an explanation will be sufficient.

Gotta give you a story, a few years ago while the North Circular was undergoing lots of roadworks! I had to drop off an annoying overseas relative to Illford - he whined the whole way about how much the 'freeways' were better in North America. Anyways, I pretty much raced home between 100 and 120 MPH - silly I know but it was 3.30am and not a soul in sight. 2 miles from home I got up to 50MPH on a 30 and suddenly a policecar about to pounce in front of me from a side road, I slammed on the anchors and the car skidded. Without thinking, I jumped out ran in front of the car and pretended to be looking for something, both cops ran towards me - as they approached my eyes welled up and I said, "I think I may have killed a little cat", the female officer immediately said, don't worry luv, I was watching yer, looks like you've had a long day (I was still in my suit with neck tie and all) Couldn't believe it! The tears were for my license : ) Glad I still have it - as clean as the day I got it!!! And valid until 2046!!! Rule Britannia!!

Flee the country!

You should ask some informed people about who will juge your case, what kind of ban he /she usually gives, what kind of strategy works better with him/her.Sometimes it is better to say "i was fast but i was alone in the car, and i controlled my speed so that nobody could have been hurt" than "i didn't know i was so fast, i didn't check, that car is so powerfull...."

I wish you good luck.

a bit off topic but i found that today : http://www.pistonheads.com/speed/default.asp?storyId=13294

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    Boxster boy, don't worry too much. I am sure a decent lawyer and an explanation will be sufficient.

Gotta give you a story, a few years ago while the North Circular was undergoing lots of roadworks! I had to drop off an annoying overseas relative to Illford - he whined the whole way about how much the 'freeways' were better in North America. Anyways, I pretty much raced home between 100 and 120 MPH - silly I know but it was 3.30am and not a soul in sight. 2 miles from home I got up to 50MPH on a 30 and suddenly a policecar about to pounce in front of me from a side road, I slammed on the anchors and the car skidded. Without thinking, I jumped out ran in front of the car and pretended to be looking for something, both cops ran towards me - as they approached my eyes welled up and I said, "I think I may have killed a little cat", the female officer immediately said, don't worry luv, I was watching yer, looks like you've had a long day (I was still in my suit with neck tie and all) Couldn't believe it! The tears were for my license : ) Glad I still have it - as clean as the day I got it!!! And valid until 2046!!! Rule Britannia!!

Excellent!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690920 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410089 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256162 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235384 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858759 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775050 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM