Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Undisguised AM Rapide caught

9545041.jpg5222695.jpg

Something about the dimensions just doesn't look right to me. I guess that's what happens when you just stretch a DB9.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090610.006/aston-martin-rapide-caught-undisguised-in-parking-lot

Re: Undisguised AM Rapide caught

horrible wheels, but over all better than the panamera.

The CLS and Tesla sedan lead the sedan category. Audi has a few too. 

ps something reallu ugly in the background pic 2.

muuuuch better than a panamera. i rather like it too 

We obviously are about to see a rise of the 4 door coupes fashion. For once Mercedes was the trendsetter with the CLS. This Rapide is much more elegant and nicer to the eye than the Panamera, but it lacks a clear distinction from the basis DB9. Somehow reminds me of that four door 996 protoype done for a Ferry Porsche birthday, which was just a stretched 996. Granted it is more subtle than that, particularly in the back, which i quite like, but the front lacks the individuality of the Panamera (which speaks Corvette Smiley). 

I look forward to see how two of the imo best actual design maestros master the 4door coupe challenge: I'm talking of W. Egger and da Silva with the new S5 Sportback.  It could well be that this car, while costing half of the other two turns out to be the best design! Having owned - and loved the coupe but needing more space I'm willing to look into it.

With a little luck it will already be unveiled on June 16th at the 100th Audi bday party - look forward to that! Smiley

--
    turbolite

racerx:

That's a Renault Megane a VW Golf rival (on paper). This model has been superceded recently by a new one of slightly better styling.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:
    racerx:

That's a Renault Megane a VW Golf rival (on paper). This model has been superceded recently by a new one of slightly better styling.

Thanks for the info, I like the golf / rabbit, had 2 years ago and they look much better these days.

AM rapide.jpg

94th  floor panamera s.JPG

That Aston Martin DB9 shape is just perfect, looks great even when shorten or lengthen. Just a timeless design, best looking car ever.

No other car design even come close to the Aston.

aston_rapide_interior.jpg

Agreed, except the Rapide has the same two-seat rear setup as the Panamera.

--

1997 993 TT Proto 3.8L 700HP

2005 996 TSCab EVO GT700

2006 Noble M400 "M600" 573RWHP

2007 Audi RS4 MTM SC 540PS

Which is ok, because the Rapide is more or less a DB9 with a usable backseat for real kids, not the dog seats in the DB9 which not even dogs will fit.

Aston didn't create the Rapide to compete against S-Class/7/A8/Bentley, it is a driver's car like the CLS where the owner is the driver, not the guy in the back being driven around.

Porsche made the mistake of not making the Panamera a owner's driving car, and the design suffers.

A streched DEB9 does not do it for me   I prefer a chape with more caracter.....this is too boring and looks strange.

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

A streched DEB9 does not do it for me   I prefer a chape with more caracter.....this is too boring and looks strange.

+1 Smiley

The Rapide looks exactly how a stretched limo manufacturer would convert a  DB-something to 4 doors.

--

You know, the thing is the following.

Modern sports cars "golden cut" is 2 third front and one third rear. Means a long hood and a short, but curvy tail. What they do with those streched Sportcars is, they take the front up to the B-Pillar and extend the rear. In fact, the golden cut is gone, the flow has something wrong. In case of the Rapide, the rear door is just to short compared to the front door (which is nicely streched), this looks clumsy!

The Rapide looks exactly how a stretched limo manufacturer would convert a DB-something to 4 doors

That's exactly its problem! it looks nice and elegant, but it's a bit bland.  The Panamera doesnt look bland, but unfortunately it's ugly. Cleary a car where Maurer- the designer who did some nice and clean pieces of work before - was forced to make too many compromises by marketing/packaging and Wiedeking who asked for more headroom. pity, lost chance!!

Still the car will be a success and contribute to make these four door coupes fashionable; still, my money is going to be on the Audi designers and their solution for  the challenge with the A5 sportback and the A7  sportback.

--
    turbolite

I really like it !, but yes, the design could be q bit more different than a DB9 limousine.

--

i kinda get the feeling that it looks outdated already, or at least it will not age very wel...

@ Lars

As you state the proportions are not correct, though they tried to expand the back doors  to the C pillar. Panamera looks better under this aspect.. Also this 996 looks better regarding this aspect. But the Rapide has the problem that it lacks individuality on the front as it's too much DB9 stretch version, just like this 996 who is just a stretch version of a normal 996 (meaning not an individual model like the Panamera will be) 

porsche9899je.jpg

--
    turbolite

turbolite:

@ Lars

As you state the proportions are not correct, though they tried to expand the back doors  to the C pillar. Panamera looks better under this aspect.. Also this 996 looks better regarding this aspect. But the Rapide has the problem that it lacks individuality on the front as it's too much DB9 stretch version, just like this 996 who is just a stretch version of a normal 996 (meaning not an individual model like the Panamera will be) 

porsche9899je.jpg

When this car was designed there was no 996. In fact the design was subsequently shortened and utilised some years later for the new Carrera.

--

@Turbolite,

I somehow agree. I also want to add, that the DB9 is kind to old anyway and would need a refresh IMO.

Regarding that 996-four door. I have the same problem with this car. The ratios are not sporty anymore. Anyhow, its much better solved I would say,

Whoopsy:

Porsche made the mistake of not making the Panamera a owner's driving car, and the design suffers.

There is a simple reason : they couldn't care less how we in the West view this egg on wheels car , this thing is made specifically for the " booming "  Chinese auto market which if not already , will be for the next several  decades the largest in units sold in the world , and where there is no tradition of statement  " driver's cars " but only of statement " party official " cars , so it's about being seen ( driven)  in the BACK of the car . We are 4th to 6th  generation drivers . They are first generation , as if it's 1915 .  In another 1/2 generation that will change .

Smiley

Enmanuel:

muuuuch better than a panamera. i rather like it too 

+1 Smiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Better than the Panamera, but still the proportions of a stretched DB9 don't look right.

Maybe it's the camera angles, because it looked a lot better in the professional car show pictures.

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

Horrible!! OMG, that is so bad. It's  an AM for christ sake... Pay $$$ only to have a family pull beside your DB9 in this stretched thing. WTF

AM not only ruined this attempt at a 4dr but also ruined their DB9 line-up. Not surprised if they go under hahaha.

Why would you give it the same taillights

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

MKW:
     There is a simple reason : they couldn't care less how we in the West view this egg on wheels car , this thing is made specifically for the " booming "  Chinese auto market which if not already , will be for the next several  decades the largest in units sold in the world , and where there is no tradition of statement  " driver's cars " but only of statement " party official " cars , so it's about being seen ( driven)  in the BACK of the car . We are 4th to 6th  generation drivers . They are first generation , as if it's 1915 .  In another 1/2 generation that will change .

Smiley

Pretty good points, Chinese is probably Panamera's primary market, we are just the afterthoughts. This can also explain why the Panamera is priced so high, cause in China, they perceive quality with price, the higher the price, the better it must be.

I read somewhere that in China in the golf shops, those $4000+ Honma irons are flying off the shelf while $1000 Callaway and Taylor Made sit in the back shelf. They think if you play a set of Callaway, you are a nobody who can't play because you cannot afford the price of a set of Honma. Those Honma are crazy expensive, they even have gold versions, crazy.

I am liking the Rapide more and more, one of the reason being with the Panamera getting so expensive, it's getting up there with the Aston and the Rapide just looks sooooo much better, it's a extremely hansome car and with the money I am paying for a Panamera Turbo, I might as well add a little more and upgrade to the Rapide.

I am liking the Rapide more and more, one of the reason being with the Panamera getting so expensive, it's getting up there with the Aston and the Rapide just looks sooooo much better, it's a extremely hansome car and with the money I am paying for a Panamera Turbo, I might as well add a little more and upgrade to the Rapide.

Well, wasnt this always like this on Porsche? A simple Carrera S always needed 30% on top for some decent specs.

I never speced a AM, so dont know if this is a difference. But in the past, the Porsches have been more stable in the price as the AM. Nowadays, I guess, its not a big difference anymore.

Third thought, in Germany they will already look jealous when coming with the Porsche, but with the AM they simply will avoid to make any biz with you.

Pictures from AutoBild:

67847322_7ec659d89a.jpg

67847324_27b2a57dec.jpg

67847323_1328bf2833.jpg

i must say, i like that rather a lot !! i do think that it needs the panoramic roof option. like on the concept car, that made the roofline seem less tall and more dynamic.

wow, if it looks this good in pictures for a 4-door, I can only imagine the presence this car will have in real life...

--

Carlos from Spain:

wow, if it looks this good in pictures for a 4-door, I can only imagine the presence this car will have in real life...

Agreed! Looks really good and definitely much better than expected from the last pics. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Atzporsche:

Why would you give it the same taillights

The Rapide will be  built in very small numbers, and tooling and development costs for those light units will be very high.

Just think of it, if you only build a thousand cars and the tooling costs amount to a million dollars, having a dedicated light design would add $ 1000 to the price of the car, but would not add anything to its functional value.

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777119 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441667 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262765 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260936 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85190 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5561 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815896 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM